New Portugal Mod (In Development)

Okay so I'm revamping the Explorers trait and here's what I've got so far:

Explorers:

Free Promotions:
Navigation I & II = Naval (+1 sight and movement)

This represents Portuguese naval exploration abilities and makes them very nice for exploring the seas.

+25% gold at first contact with natives.*

This represents their early trade with natives, the only problem is that it's random and so if you get experience or maps, well you're not a happy camper. This trait also encourages the Portuguese to be early and active explorers and so that's another reason I went with it.

*I am considering bumping the additional gold percentage to +50%, but I'm worried that the tribes with the Gracious trait would start handing out way too much gold.

If you have any questions or comments on this Civilization trait then please let me know ;)

Very nice... I liked the caravel extra movement though.

It's still there, but now all ships get +1 sight and movement. However, if this proves to be too nice, then I'll change it back to caravels only. I was mainly trying to avoid the problem of caravels with +4 speed (+1 for Portuguese, +2 from promotions, and +1 from FF). This way the biggest speed increase is still +3 (from promotions and FF).

+25% gold at first contact with natives.*

*I am considering bumping the additional gold percentage to +50%, but I'm worried that the tribes with the Gracious trait would start handing out way too much gold.

I've decided to stick with +25% for the time being...

+50% was yielding 1000 to 2000 gold from non-gracious and 3,000 to 4,000 gold from the Gracious tribes, which is a bit too much I think.

I still don't know why it was giving such high gold yields at +50%. The treasure goody says it should be 250 + Rand 251 + Rand 251, which should be 752 max gold for non-gracious and 1504 max for gracious. However, it seems I'm missing something with those values because adding +50% to first contact gold seems to bump everything up much more than +50%. Of course I'm not a math major so perhaps I just don't understand what +50% means in terms of the random gold yields. If anyone does know, then feel free to tell me ;)

So I've hit a little snag with the release of this mod... the rar is currently 11.5 MBs and the file upload limit is 10 MBs for the site... any ideas as to what I could do about this?

I hate cutting something out just to make it fit, but I might have drop the sound files for the leaders if I have to do so.

On the bright side the Portugal mod is ready to go. ;)

Version 1.01 Proposed Changes:

I'm still working on this mod and I am considering a change to the Portuguese trait and starting unit.

I'm thinking of dropping the +25% from first contact and instead giving the Portuguese a Seasoned Scout Soldier. This will solve a couple problems:

1) The +25% gold at first contact was a nice trait, but it's benefit varied a lot from map to map and especially from small maps to large ones. I think it would be fine if I could scale it with map size, but I have no idea how to do that so I think I'd prefer to drop it entirely.

2) Although it is not uncommon for a seasoned scout to be among the first few immigrants on your docks this allow the Portuguese to have one ready to go with the purchase of horses. This is especially useful when a seasoned scout does not show up right away at your dock (which has happened to me a few times).

3) And most importantly, it fits with the theme of exploration that I wanted the Portuguese to have.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions based off of these thoughts, then please feel free to post them here or in this thread in the Mods and Files section.

Hi jaldaen. First of all my compliments for your nice mod. :goodjob:

I suggest you a copple of graphical change:

- Playercolor should be DARK GREEN
- The Flag of Portugal should be White with the blu shields inside. (i mean the same flag that Portugal has in MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR)

Don't you think are good ideas?

Ehi, any way to make a new civ be MODULAR like in BTS?

Hi jaldaen. First of all my compliments for your nice mod. :goodjob:

Thanks ;)

I suggest you a copple of graphical change:

- Playercolor should be DARK GREEN
- The Flag of Portugal should be White with the blu shields inside. (i mean the same flag that Portugal has in MEDIEVAL II TOTAL WAR)

Don't you think are good ideas?

I mainly went with purple because Dale already had it set up, however I would be fine with changing it to a different more historically accurate color...

However, if I were to change it, then I think the flag of Portugal shown on screen should match its main color so I'm not certain if dark green would work with the White with blue shields.

Another option would be to choose "Red" (Dark Red is too dark for the Portuguese flag) as the Portuguese color with a Red flag with a blue and white dotted shield in its center.

Ehi, any way to make a new civ be MODULAR like in BTS?

I have no idea how to do so... if someone with more moding experience wants to swing by and make a suggestion about it, then I'd be more than willing to work that out if it's possible.

I've decided to drop the +25% gold at first contact because it is too random and does not scale well with map size.

Since I'm dropping this extra ability I've decided to rename the Portuguese trait to Mariners, instead of Explorers.

In addition, I am considering adding a minor trait to the Portuguese to replace the +25% gold. The primary purpose of this additional benefit is meant to encourage building settlements along the coast, just like the Portuguese did.

Here are a few ideas:

1) Give a +2 food bonus to settlements with docks.
2) Give a +1 food yield bonus to water tiles for settlements with docks (making the total food yield bonus from docks +3 instead of +2).
3) Give +1 food bonus on special water tiles (crab/fish only).

Any preferences? Or do you think the Navigation 1 and 2 is enough of a benefit for a civilization trait?

Thanks for your comments,
Joseph

I still want Tiradentes :(

I could actually see him as a founding father (and if I expand the list he'll be there), but as stated before I think leaders need to have wither founded or governed a colony for at least some period of time.

Just they have independence leaders for other civs...

Also, for the king you could just recycle Joao from BtS.

I am designing New China's trait as
AGRICULTURAL: add 1 food on tiles with 2 or more food.
Start with an expert-farmer.
I'm not sure if this trait is balanced either. hoho:)

Last call for comments, suggestions, and questions before I release the next version.

I still want Tiradentes :(

Maybe causes it so that 6 people can work in the liberty building.

The problem with Tiradentes is that first of all, we must separate the true importance of the man from the myth about him created by the Republic.

I am not sure, but I am under the impression that there were several colonial revolt leaders more important than him, specially since the "Inconfidência Mineira" didn't actually spark a revolt, it was caught before it was able to do that, whereas there were a sizable number of revolts that not only managed to fire, but also to even go as far as declare independence of a region of Brazil from Portugal.

Top Bottom