New Screenies @ GamingHorizon

am i the only one bothered by the mid evil looking citys with modren units??

lik i said, if i got bombers, figters, tanks, ect ect ect. i want modren looking cityes, but not stone huts with straw roofs!!

Novaya Havoc said:
Um, the concept is not western.

maybe you're right, i must admit that i am not 100% percent sure about my former statement about this, after all, i didn't provide any proof, it's just what i remember from school. but then, you didn't provide any convincing proof either (what exactly is your point with Angkor Wat?)

Novaya Havoc said:
So stop your finger-pointing at the West.

i live in Hamburg, Northern Germany. if my geography doesn't fool me, Hamburg belongs to the West. i am therefore pointing my finger at myself. but this doesn't matter, i have no problems with pointing at things i don't like no matter whose culture it concerns. like example: i really hate chinese china-centrism too (a VERY old chinese tradition). i also hate german food, jamaican music, islamic fanatism.

also i want to say hello to my grandma.

Novaya Havoc said:
The series is coming a long way.
ok, here i agree...

Aussie_Lurker said:
Oh, BobCW, the religion you are thinking of is Zen Bhuddism-its the Japanese variant of Bhuddism. Shinto is an ancient Animist faith from Japan. Hope this helps to clear things up.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, Zen. Thanks

vStauffenberg said:
see what wikipedia says on books:
"When writing systems were invented in ancient civilizations, clay tablets or parchment scrolls were used, as, for example, in the library of Alexandria. Scrolls were later phased out in favor of the codex, a bound book with pages and a spine, the form of most books today. (...) Some have said that Julius Caesar invented the first codex during the Gallic Wars. He would issue scrolls folded up accordion style and use the "pages" as reference points."

...so how come the "missionaries" are all holding books? from 4000 B.C. to the Birth of Christ, they should be holding clay tablets or parchment scrolls, if at all: the written word doesn't play the same central role in all religions like in the semite-monotheistic religions (islam, judaism, christianity).

also: the term "missionary" and the concept of missions and evangelizing in general is a originally a christian and jewish concept.
naming priests from all religions "missionaries" and letting them carry out "missions" is pure euro-centrism / western-culture centrism
Had they invented backpacks yet in 4000 BC? How many different versions of the settler do we need?

Re rifle-bearing soldiers in thatched-roof town:
WWII era had plenty of areas with that type of building materials, particularly in asia & africa; or, more likely ...
they haven't completed the artwork for more modern architecture yet.

joethreeblah said:
Had they invented backpacks yet in 4000 BC? How many different versions of the settler do we need?

that's easy! we need two versions: one for the time before the invention of the backpack and one for the time after! :)

Are building scales finalized?

It's odd that the colliseum (sp?) is the same size as a small hut...

-mS

Geez, the buddhist missionary look stupid, doesn't look like a buddhist at all.

aside form the minor inconsistencies, i like the feel of the graphics, homey and bright!

Lucky The Fox said:
That's the tiniest pyramid I've ever seen.

But the missionaries look great. Little stereotyping doesn't hurt anyone.

Indeed.. Very small pyramid!

I wish it would be GIGANTIC, like EPICAL like WOW-ABLE like OOOOOOOOOOOH and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Vietcong said:
am i the only one bothered by the mid evil looking citys with modren units??

lik i said, if i got bombers, figters, tanks, ect ect ect. i want modren looking cityes, but not stone huts with straw roofs!!

Basically, I agree. But what if we're looking at a backward civ that was given or solf those units? Or what if those are units of another civ stacked in their ally's city? Probably not, but it would be cool if we found out that was the explanation.

On another note, I'm trying to square these pictures that have RRs all over the place with the new info that roads will not provide a commerce bonus. I doubt that they would give a commerce bonus to RRs but not roads. So could it be that players still find it advantageous to road and rail everything regardless of the lack of a bonus?

Carver said:
So could it be that players still find it advantageous to road and rail everything regardless of the lack of a bonus?
I still would road as many tiles as I can. The primary benefit of road, faster movement, is more important than the trade bonus.

Mongoloid Cow said:
Nice. Anyone else notice the fortress? Are they actually worth building now?

looks like a strengthened city to me

Thunderfall said:
I still would road as many tiles as I can. The primary benefit of road, faster movement, is more important than the trade bonus.

you would not if it cost you money to build and/or maintain roads and other landscape improvements - which would be a great addititon but unfortunately will not be included in Civ4 as far as I know :(

Jouda said:
you would not if it cost you money to build and/or maintain roads and other landscape improvements - which would be a great addititon but unfortunately will not be included in Civ4 as far as I know :(

The disadvantage to roading every square is the fact that it takes time for little benefit. It would force players to prioritize roads that go somewhere before random roading. I don't think roading every square is as bad a thing as some people believe.

More importantly..

Where are the RR crossing guards where the tracks meet the road? Someone's gonna get killed!

"Why don't they look???"

Top Bottom