New Unit: Belgian Resistor

Originally posted by Mithadan
Is dit een grapje? "A good UU for the Flemish should be the 'hello, g'day'?" :lol:

Tha's basicly what this unit is... The weapon was called Gutentag (good day)... Don't know why exactly since I doubt anyone had a good day when faced with it.

Yeah, the unit's perfect for the job, and I'm definitely going to use this.
Actually in Flemish the weapon is called "Goedendag", or probably "Gotedag" back in those day.
Gutentag is how you would write it in German. I don't think there's a conclusive answer as to where the name exactly comes from.

some info: when people think about a "goedendag", they think about Flemish peasants who are waving around a stick, where a metal bol is attached to with sharp points. Such a weapon wouldn't have had much effect on the battlefield.

The real "goedendag" was an instrument that was tacticaly far more usefull to cause damage. It was a firm long stick with a metal iron point at the end: it was both a weapon to hit with as to stab with, used to knock out horses aswell as the riders. With their pikes & "goedendags", the flemish ranks formed a strong wall.

The flemish city militia, who fought against the French Army at the famous "Guldensporenslag" in 1302, where definetly not inexperienced boys. They were good, trained units: the armed forces of, what were at the time, the mightiest cities of Western-Europe.

Origin of the name"Goedendag":
Nobody really knows, there are a lot of theories. But here's the best one: the weapon was used to stab the throuth of the enemy. this caused the head of the enemy to knod/fall forward, as if he was saying "good day"

I had no idea that was the name of that wacky scary looking weapon!
Pretty funny, though. "Have a good day!" *THWACK* :cool:

Top Bottom