New Units That Would Make the Game More Interesting

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Peng Qi, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

On the topic of the scout, I actually thought about its possible upgrade (explorer) today in my game. I'm on a pangea map, and the only coastal city I have goes into a small, ice locked sea. So I know nothign of the vast sea outside my territory, and would like to know if there is decent island to settle out there. So I thought Explorers would come around the time of the caravel, maybe a little after. They would keep the scouts LOS even when at sea, but still have low combat, no bombardment (obviously), and not be as fast as the caravel, that way they don't totally replace them. It would sort of be a caravel/scout hybrid and come just in time to scout the new world

As for a scout militray path, it would certainly be welcome but isn't needed. Cavalry and Lancers already have the visibilty upgrade, which helps with military scouting. I think if the Skirmisher was to be mounted (which makes sense) it should be (depending on the time it comes into play) either a Javelin cavalry in the classical/early medieval era, or a Dragoon like cavalry around the time of lancers (pistol cavalry)

I like the idea of Drons/UAV but I wonder how they should be implimented. Air recon unit? Air bombardment unit? 'helicopter like unit", in that its airborne but follows the ground? Cruise missle like?

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

UAVs should be air units with a high evasion rate.

3. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

This. Units like this would add a lot less boredom into a given game. I love privateering, especially multiplayer among friends.

4. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Drones could be implemented as an air unit with low range (say six to tie in with the next suggestion) and the stealth bombers ability to always show the surrounding six tiles.
    In addition a drone controller unit should be implemented, basically a ground unit which can carry drones like a carrier carries fighters and bombers. It could even be done as a promotion so a new unit isn't needed.

5. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

that would be silly. name yours the longship instead.

6. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

For air forces, hopefully they change the visibility parameter. Currently fighters and jets see 8 hexes - that 8 is an editable variable, but it's the same for all recon aircraft. It should be a unit-specific variable. It would be nice too if it could be modified by promotions (especially the +2 range).

7. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

But only Vikings used longships. All of Europe used galleys.

8. Rathelon

Rathelon Prince

Dragoons were more than pistol-toting cavalry. They were the first mobile infantry. They were infantry units who rode quickly to where needed on the battle field, dismounted, and formed a line.

That's due to the way they set up the xml in this version. Instead of putting every variable into each unit's definition, they defined all the traits with default values. Then, they only put any non-default traits under the unit definition. So, if you want to change something that is a default value, you have to add the tag yourself to the unit defintion.

9. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

For scouts, personaly scouts can just stay like they are till the middle ages, in the reneisance they can be upgraded to some form of hunter, in the industrial era they can be upgraded to rangers and in the modern era they upgrade into pathfinders or recon or something.
    My opinion on new units:
    Groudn units:
    Lancers get upgraded to mechenized infantry, Calvary to tanks, regular Infantry upgrades to Modern Infantry, helicopters a new unit for modern era
    AA guns upgrade to self propeled AA guns (Shilka, Gepard), SAMs a new unit for modern era
    AT guns upgrade to Guided Missle Squads (Milan, Javelin systems)
    New self propeled AT unit (Jagdpanther, M10) upgraded to modern self propeled AT (APCs armed with TOW missles and the like)
    Aircraft :
    -Fighter Bombers (Hawker Typhoon, P-47 Thunderbolt), upgraded to Modern FB (A-10 Warthog, Su-25 Frogfoot) - gets a 100% bonus against all land units, regular bombers get a 150%-200% bonus against cities
    -Recon (SR-71 Blackbird) - immune to all AA exept SAMs, super long range, can't attack
    etc.

10. Sonereal

Lancers and Cavalry shouldn't upgrade to those. There's a difference between the subtle and easy upgrading from say, warriors to swordsmen to longswords to rifles compared to Lancers to Mech Inf and Cavs to Tanks.

Tanks require an industrial base to build. You shouldn't be able just to upgrade cavalry to tanks.

11. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

You can already upgrade cavalry to tanks...
    And units upgrade based on their battlefield roles, not how logical it is to upgrade them.

12. Sonereal

I know cavalry already do but they shouldn't upgrade to tanks. If anything, they should upgrade to the much more logical gunships.

13. Rusty Nail

Rusty Nail Warlord

I would like to see an icebreaker to take care of those ice hexes that can block ship movement.

14. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

Well both are simelar to cavalry, but I would still count tanks as the logical sucessor to cavalry before gunships. Gunships are quite unique in history, while tanks are preaty much cavalry with 120mm cannons, machineguns and trakcs instead of sabers, carbines and horse feet. And they still work as shock units, particulary effective against infatry, yet need constant infantry support.
    A gunships doesen't need infantry support to function effectively, and they work much more as hit and run units, plus there is the whole flying thing :p

15. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Up to modern times, agreed. However, current Paratroopers also use LRPS and ForceRecon as scouting. Granted, it's military in nature, but they still scout. Guess it's a matter if interpretation, lol.

16. Sonereal

Hmm.....

Paratroopers, I figure, would be useful when they first pop up for most major military operations but later on the game, only useful in scouting, pillaging, and securing behind-the-lines sort of stuff.

So yeah, that makes sense. I wouldn't mind a distinction between the two paratrooper troops. Paratrooper and Modern Paratrooper sounds about right. The Modern one would be slightly more powerful to stay slightly competitive but would have a longer paradrop range.

17. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

I promote the idea of introducing battle drones for the late game.

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity