New XCOM game: XCOM Chimera Squad coming April 24

Good review.

It's also really buggy. Really, really buggy. Two crashes to desktop trying to enter the final mission, getting "stuck" indefinitely on a loading screen once where I had to force-quit the program, one mission where it never actually proceeded to the next stage after the previous was clear and I had to reload, the enemy visibility preview graphic regularly going screwy, nanomedikits replicating in inventory, some unit model issues with units floating several feet off the ground, the wrong ability being used a few times (not the one I selected) or on the wrong hero (not the one I clicked on), some issues with transitions between agents, occasional teleporting enemies when they break in, a number of tooltip errors on gear in the armory, some camera glitches... the list goes on and on. And these are just the bugs I ran into; I've seen some comments from other people with bugs I never saw myself. I love the game anyways, and it was a very pleasant surprise to have it drop into my lap so suddenly, but it really feels like it could have used another month in QA before release.

Yes, i was perhaps a little bit hasty in saying it was highly polished. It does have bugs. Annoying ones i encountered were Cherub getting rooted for no reason - had to reload that mission as he could not move. I also have the replicating nano medkits bug - got something like 48 now lol. The settings for widescreen are a bit wonky too with too many clicks on the tool bar going awry.

The rest i think is pretty much spot on. In particular i agree with comments on how reinforcements dropping in mid queue is annoying. Ive lost a mission and almost lost another because of that, which felt cheap. I also dont think they have really managed to nail a compelling meta game on the strategic layer yet either. This one isnt terrible. But its not exactly good either. I thought XCOM2s was better. I also think the game is a bit on the easy side. Once i had sussed everything out expert became a bit of a cake walk. To the point the latter game became somewhat of a chore.

As for tactics. My squad consists of: Verge, Terminal, Cherub, Claymore, Godmother, Torque, Patch and Blueblood. I also now have all of them at max rank. Comments on them are:

Verge - Probably the weakest of the team IMO. His crowd control options are not really that great, although he does get them early. So might be worth bringing him for earlier missions. Later game though he gets completely out gunned and out classed by others IMO. Torque or patch is a better later game option.

Terminal - Probably the most versatile and useful character. Infinite heals is great as is cooperation. Which is pretty much on a par with teamup. She does lose some of her potential later in the game. 4 health isnt that good later on. And she doesnt have the damage to supplement it. Guardian would be nice if overwatch was as useful as it was in previous XCOMS. But its highly situational in Chimera squad. You might be better off using Cherub as a later game protector as he has slightly better offensive capabilities.

Claymore - I think he is a great crowd control unit. Once properly promoted, you can throw 3 grenades in a single turn. And they replenish once you clear a single breach point. Meaning he can sometimes toss 9 or more per mission - as his shrapnel ability is infinite. Must get the penetration through cover option on his shrapnel grenade and the replenish grenades after every breach. The icing on the cake is he uses a shotgun, which is useful for close encounters.

Blueblood - Probably the best damage dealer on the team. Like you, im a bit undecided on whether talon rounds or dragon rounds are best. He is strong throughout the campaign though and a worthy addition to any team.

Cherub - can be used as an alternative to Terminal. Later game he might even be better than her. Very useful on VIP missions. His damage potential is poor though. Its slightly made up for by his charge being a bit more useful. Which can net you some early intel. You might well do better though with buying Tranq rounds instead and having a more useful agent instead.

Godmother - Can rival Claymore in terms of crowd control. Works very well with Cherub. Run her into the middle of a mob with a shield and sustain and she can mow down whole groups - especially with CQS. I think with her though that when shes good she is really really good. But on the wrong map or awkward enemy placement, shes really really bad. I would pick Claymore over her.

Patch - A better control option that Verge by far. Stasis can nullify a single enemy. Hacking can bring over a powerful mech or turret to your team semi permanently. And Jolt can stun and disorient multiple enemies at a time if they are in close proximity. Can also stabalise remotely. Useful throughout. Probably want a reflex grip on her gun so she can shoot and then use one of her abilities. She can also holotarget during breaches negating the need to buy a breaching item.

Torque - She is a dodge queen. Negates the need for adaptive weave saving some cash. And can pull out a dangerous enemy and immobilise them from combat. Poison spit has a decent spread and a pretty good backup ability to use whilst you are squeezing the life out of a helpless mob. Gets a lot more useful later in the game once bind becomes impervious to dmage. Only uses a sub machine gun though so her raw damage isnt great. Although there are some nice special ones you can get from scavenger market.

If i was picking my most powerful squad out of my agents it would definitely be: Terminal, Claymore, Blueblood and Patch.

So far I'm finding the difficulty on Impossible to be modestly lower, but not dramatically so, than in War of the Chosen. Still challenging; I've had a few dicey missions. Might soften up as the game goes on though; I'm a half-dozen missions in, starting to get decent rank agents and unlock some noticeable gear upgrades.

I could potentially see the early game being a major challenge if I weren't leaning so heavily on Patchwork and Terminal. Those two are carrying hard.

I really dont think it matters who you have in your squad on "hard". You can win with any team. Im finding the end game a bit of a drag. I suppose i ought to finish it before an impossible run

Speaking of bugs , just had an amusing new one. Ill spoiler it for those who have not done this bit yet. Its the final mission of Sacred Coil.

Spoiler :
im doing the final Sacred coil mission - which is the last of my 3 factions. And in the first room a Gatekeeper spawns in and hot tails it out of there as soon as it teleports in. The bad news as far as its concerned is that my breaching bonus was a round of overwatch. My team duly obliges, everyone hits, and the Gatekeepers appearance is a very brief one indeed. Hohoho i thought. So much for Gatekeepers. Next room kill the sacred coil leader - nothing much to see here. Then in the final room with the 3 teleports. One of the objectives is destroy the Gatekeeper. Once you do that, i assume the gateways stop sending in troops. One problem though - there is no Gatekeeper left to destroy. #fail

Expert difficulty end game definitely eased up a lot. Although I will say the final mission was a fun one, and a noticeable bump up in difficulty from the previous... ten or so. Not brutally hard, but it at least made me sit up and prioritize again instead of just killing every enemy in order before their turns.

Just cleared the first faction on my Impossible run, Sacred Coil. Might have been rough going without Patchwork, but she's so damn good against androids, MECs, turrets. Finding her noticeably less useful now against the Progeny, although I'm hopeful that the reflex grip and dragon rounds I just got her will help.

Regarding the final mission of Sacred Coil...

Spoiler :
Something weird is going on with that mission. First playthrough, the Gatekeeper spawned in through the gateway and ran off into the next room (and next encounter) immediately. Which I assume is what is intended to happen. Second time, this time around, Gatekeeper did not spawn immediately. Instead it spawned after a turn, and stayed in the same room as the leader; I killed it there, finished the room, and the mission registered as finished without ever showing me the final encounter zone at all.

Unfortunately, looks like my game is now bugged. And playing on ironman i cant reload an earlier save. Probably my fault. I killed off about 10 waves of mobs in the hope that eventually the mission would just complete. Now it seems stuck permanently. Every time i try and just end my turn in the hope they will kill me, it just hangs and nothing happens. Sigh.

Finally got the the last mission. It's the mission from hell that will never end. Doubt that I can win. Finally got to the last encounter with Sovereign in the Conspiracy HQ but I've used up all my "one mission only abilities, and all my nanomedkits and 2 of my agents are badly wounded.

I did it!! I won my first game. That last mission is incredibly tough but fun. I did not think I could win but I did it. I used my last 2 turn coat grenades to berserk a group. Terminal used her gremlin heal ability to keep my agents alive. Cherub bled out but I stabilized him. I took advantage of "untouchable" to keep Godmother alive. Used "team work". I killed Sovereign first to prevent reinforcements and then grinded down everybody else until it was just the big guy and Godmother and Godmother delivered the final blow.

Top Bottom