[BTS] News: BOTM 149: Humbaba!! - starts 16 Feb

The panther cannot move onto any resource, even if it's a resource that you can't yet see (like copper, or horses, or coal). As far as I could tell when testing, this applies to all resources.

So we can use the panthers as prospectors. Any square they won't enter has something good!

Thanks for including the Adventurer save with this scenario. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to have Humbaba on my side, but immortal would ruin the experience for me.

Humbaba in the game, and I get to play it! Not sure if I should be happy about that, or just afraid.

Hi all, it looks like there was an issue with the contender save that lymond has just pointed out to me. The contender save was at monarch level. I've now fixed it and uploaded the 'correct' contender save, so everything should be OK. If anyone has already downloaded the save, then you'll need to download it again (and double check the settings before you start playing any turns to make sure it is an immortal level save).

If anyone had already downloaded the contender save and had played any turns without realising it was the wrong save, then PM me asap so we can get your game sorted out.

So we can use the panthers as prospectors. Any square they won't enter has something good!

Thanks for including the Adventurer save with this scenario. I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to have Humbaba on my side, but immortal would ruin the experience for me.

At last someone had picked up on the significance of the panthers! :goodjob:

That's all correct. And you don't even need to move the panther to a tile - you can just hover the mouse over a tile while about to move the panther to find out whether the panther would be able to move onto that tile.

By the way you can leave a note on any tile by pressing ALT-S, then clicking the mouse over the tile you want.

Oooh, so the game is out already. Hopefully not a 10 minute affair :D

edit: Maybe a silly question, but do the asterisks have any significance, or does it just imply the map is (heavily) edited?
from download page said:
Map Script: ***Continents

Three continents? :hmm:

Last edited:
And do be careful how you use Humbaba and those swordsmen... You might find that, even against archers, you need to spend several turns of Humbaba battering city defences before you can be confident of capturing the city. I really don't want to be reading spoiler reports that say 'I lost the artillery unit and the swordsmen in 3000 BC. There was no point going on after that so I quit' :lol::lol:
How about this? "England built a settler first and because I didn't feel like playing on Sid level, I quit."

You are not listening to me... you are hearing Humbaba in your dreams.

I believe that if you don't own a City and have eliminated all but 1 of the AIs in a game, you will lose via a Conquest Defeat. That's said in case you had actually planned to take on the whole world with just your starting army and with help from the Barbs, razing every City as you went.

I also believe that Animals won't get defensive bonuses from a square's terrain (such as Hills or Forests), but will get the defensive bonus from defending across of a River.

From what we can see of England's capital-to-be, it looks to be rather weak. I wonder if it might be better to hunt for another AI's City to use as our capital, leaving England to settle a couple of Gold Cities for us before coming back to conquer them.

I believe that if you don't own a City and have eliminated all but 1 of the AIs in a game, you will lose via a Conquest Defeat. That's said in case you had actually planned to take on the whole world with just your starting army and with help from the Barbs, razing every City as you went.
Absolutely correct, I was just coming on here to post that.

Ha...I remember an old BOTM where we played as Russia. We were given quite a few keshiks at the start but no settler, and it was like Noble level. I went around a killed everybody with the bright idea of getting super fast conquest...and lost cause I never kept a city. I remember being quite mad at not having understood that at the time.

It is BOTM 59 from 2012, and can be found here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/news-botm-59-starts-october-15.477760/

One thing that really stood out to me about the results of that game, is that Duckweed won a 475AD Diplomatic victory, which is absolutely insane. (Some here may recall that Duckweed is indeed probably one of the very best players ever...but still 475AD!).

From what we can see of England's capital-to-be, it looks to be rather weak. I wonder if it might be better to hunt for another AI's City to use as our capital, leaving England to settle a couple of Gold Cities for us before coming back to conquer them.
Well, our panther is there to check out England's bfc fog. Presumably we can't be attacked without a DOW. Hopefully there is at least food.

You coulda set the 'no city razing' game option to prevent autorazes.
Also mess with the players that want to go fast conquest.

That's a good point. That would've been a good way to guarantee no autorazing.

Could've been a bit annoying to a lot of players later in the game though - not just the ones wanting fast conquest. All those captured cities positioned in not quite the optimal location.... :D

Yea, the map makers never like to annoy the players :mischief:
Pushing you out of your comfort-zone is arguably different than trying to annoy. But annoyance is maybe the result anyhow.

too bad animals disappear after a while
it would be fun to fill the map with bears :lmao:

Top Bottom