[BTS] News: BOTM 198 - Hammurabi, Prince - Starts 1 Aug

My plan is to kidnap a worker (if we are not isolated), should be safe even on Immortal, because AI has only warriors. Farming those FP takes too long with only 1 worker. Settling on one of the PH should also help, I would ignore the cow for now, AH is not really priority tech here.
Ok, the eastern PH would even keep the cow, but it is probably not next to fresh water (maybe there is a lake? I have not started the game, just looking at the screenshot).

Also I wonder if even a Bowmen-Rush could work under certain cirumstances. If AI starts with Prince units + techs, they should have only warriors. If there is someone who does not start with hunting, could work. In general, I hate those kind of rushes (also Quechua or Impi rushes), because I do not believe that a foreign capitol will do much good at this point of the game. Diffcult to make that really a contribution and not rather a burden. But I am just wondering regarding the settings of this game.....

Last edited:
Looks interesting, and thanks for having a normal game. I came back to the game a couple weeks ago and looked over the active BOTMs and didn't fancy so much weird stuff. By all means, I am not opposed to it in general, I have created several BOTM maps with weird settings, or at least not your bog standard stuff, but the Khan game for example looked a bit much to me. So cheers for this one :)

Only looking at the screenshot for now, but it looks like coast to the east and probably south-east? Easier to see in-game as you can spot the waves crashing onto the shore (if this suspicion is correct). Independent of that really, SIP looks like a fine option. Think I'll ignore the PH, as it doesn't appear to have freshwater (but maybe coastal?). No nice hill to move the warrior onto, so think I'll move NE to see what else may be around the cow. At least some naked squares there, so he may see a hill for example a little further out. And possibly coast if that is there.

Shame to waste a FP, it almost always is, but if we do we get 4 FPs, which is a perfect number healthwise (only 1 :yuck: ).

Since this is only Prince, we can probably pick up AH early since everything is dirt cheap, but BW looks more important due to all the forests.

Not sure if I'll try the cheesy early rushing. Honestly, one of the things I like about starting on settings like Immortal (in my normal games) is that those things are out, so you are "forced" to play normally. No warrior rushing or walking into an empty capital (the latter probably can't happen here, but it can on the very lowest settings).

Of course, if people actually want to warrior rush, settling on the PH is probably a fine option, and then working whatever high hammers you can find (like the 3h hill after 5 turns) and pump out some warriors. It just hurts my heart to think about it. And to be fair, it's also a pretty risky "all-in" strategy for a game you can only play once (in HoF you can just try a different map if this gambit fails).

There seems to be something weird in my Civ setup - at the moment when I generate a new game, it always names the leader Cyrus, no matter who it actually is!
Can this be because of a profile in the game? Like all my games will give me "Pangaea" as the name. Maybe you wrote Cyrus at some point?

Another small niggle... but why is this still incorrect? Can somebody please change the boilerplate or whatever solution you are using for the main botm site? (it should be BUFFY-3.19.005)

Windows players require version 3.19 of Civilization IV BtS, as well as Hof Mod version BUFFY-3.19.003, available here.

Apparently nobody noticed until now. I also noticed and wrote them recently, that is how I have insider info they are in the process of fixing it :D
Oh, we notice every time we create a map.
But updating the tool which autogenerates much of the text isn't as simple as just editing the announcement (except we forget to to that too often). Plus when updating such a tool, you (DS for this tool) also make other improvements - all of which take time.
I'm just thankful DS and NZ have been making maps.

Can this be because of a profile in the game? Like all my games will give me "Pangaea" as the name. Maybe you wrote Cyrus at some point?

I suspect it may well be. Maybe at some point I'll write in another name and then Civ will keep using that name :lol:

Oh, we notice every time we create a map.
But updating the tool which autogenerates much of the text isn't as simple as just editing the announcement (except we forget to to that too often). Plus when updating such a tool, you (DS for this tool) also make other improvements - all of which take time.
I'm just thankful DS and NZ have been making maps.
Updating it is as simple as updating a script. You just have to notify the script writer (me, in this case) that there’s a problem. It’s now fixed.

Top Bottom