News: SGOTM 13 Signup Thread

*the word actively includes any method that is planned by the player.
This assumed that there is a method that permits to scan player's brain.
I want rules that operate only with observable actions.

Yes, thats why i don't want to start the discussions again, you want bureaucratic rules that have the appearance of being watertight. I think you guys have proven they won't completely be.

Therefore, we should have a little faith in the gamers spirit and a little common sense in judging the facts. This is already very much the case in civ competition anyway.

To conclude, i don't oppose any of the rules you guys come up with, but i don't want to end up in a game where peope are gonna read the rules to the letter and try to find ways around them.

This assumed that there is a method that permits to scan player's brain.
I want rules that operate only with observable actions.

No it does not. Despite a lot of clever checks Alan has added on the save file, there are multitudes of rules which are uninforcable for any one but the player concerned.
And the player concerned should be easily able to evaluate if he actively cancels the deal.

No it does not. Despite a lot of clever checks Alan has added on the save file, there are multitudes of rules which are uninforcable for any one but the player concerned.
And the player concerned should be easily able to evaluate if he actively cancels the deal.
May be, but what for?
Lanzelot restrictions are tough enough. And I, personnaly don't want "not to be allowed to kill AI faster" just because I have "20 turn MA deal, and another gpt deall"...

Now thats exactly why we should cut the crap with trying to find tight rules. Either people are gonna find ways around it, or normal gameplay will be obstructed.

Therefore we should just ban the damn exploit and trust the players not to use it just like we trust them not to break those countless other rules that can't be enforced.

(btw, i dont see why you couldn't kill an AI as that ends all deals you have with them, not just 1)
But it will end up MA deal with my MA partner. With whom I may have another gpt deals. And using your rsetriction I am not allowed to do that.

But it will end up MA deal with my MA partner. With whom I may have another gpt deals. And using your rsetriction I am not allowed to do that.
If such a situation occurs to you I guess the whole civ community will be okay if you sent the difference (or even a reasonable value close to it) every turn to that ally and explained it in your turn logs.

As Wacken stated - don't try to press everything bullet proof into rules unless you want to make people looking for the gaps. Just point out the sense and trust people to play honestly. The one sentence by Lanzelot pretty good gives the idea of what to avoid.
We all want to play the game without takiong lessons in laws. :old:

And if you come across a deal or situation you are not sure about, just prompt Alanh during gameplay and you will get a judgement call. ;)

I think it is far less necessary to have water-tight rules in the SGOTM, where saves are handed in regularly and all strategy is discussed openly. For the normal GOTMs we may need a stricter rule, though I'm of the same opinion as WOA, there should be no need to.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, even more so because at the very least we should factor in what Hasdrudal Barca wants.

I´m fine in any team, just looking forward to play, but thks for asking my opinion.

Oops, just realised I forgot to sign up for this before I went away.

If it's not too late could I join team tao again please.

1. Monarch
2. No
3. tao

Tao already has one more player than the other teams, as it also has a higher ratio of newcomers. If there are no objections, I propose to transfer Montalbano to Spooks, the only team with no newbies currently.

You have discovered TAOism! Adopting TAOism will spread happiness throughout the lands of Civ4.

Here's a rule question, I've looked for an answer in the reference and "about" threads. Is there a specific rule thread for SGOTM or is it simply the HOF/GOTM rules?
Specific question is this; When the download is posted and after the first person has downloaded the Save, can others download it? I've got a feeling the answer should be "No".
After everyone has already downloaded it for their turn, and the 2nd time around, do you have to delete the first saves you had from your first set of turns?
I want to make sure that I know what any SGOTM specific rules are.

Greatbeyond: Normally as long as all you do is look (no unit movement that would push back the fog or determine of an AI unit is around), then it's ok. That gives you a chance to make informed comments.

No unit movement *at all* is the safest rule. Basically, do nothing that changes the state of the game until it is your turn set. When it is your turn in the hot seat, play your turns without replaying, and upload the file at the end of your last turn.

You can keep your old saves if you like, though it's not necessary, as they are all available for download. But do not *play* any save unless you are the active player for your team.

I have opened the Maintenance Thread for this game, and the six Team Threads.

Please take up any future public discussions in the Maintenance Thread, and subscribe to it, as that is where I shall post any earth shattering announcements.

Please report into your team threads as soon as possible, to start your private discussions and to get organised.

Good luck :p

Top Bottom