News: TSG85 Announcement

... are not projecting well. The randomness on the map make it difficult. Culture? Do you beeline to hotel and hope folks stay friendly, or do you just take them all out except for one. The forests / food issue makes the early game very difficult. I am projecting actual CV submissions to be under 20. I do not think I will be one of those. :blush::whipped:

Without Autocracy, so warfare and good diplo, I wonder how to win with the Iroquois ?
Really first game I wish to have Alex on the map.

I think caravans to AI civs help them too much, unless you are looking for a short term tech advantage over someone. Example in this case could be a foreign route t40 to 70 to speed up the UB.

Better to be internal or a CS mostly though.

That's pretty much my point. Sending those first trade routes to an AI to get much needed early BPT and GPT to get to the markets, universities and longhouse, while generating enough cash to buy settlers, workers, etc. and still being able to build units for defense and exploration.

By the time those first trade routes are ready for renewal the granary should be completed in the 2nd and 3rd cities to feed the capital with. Alternately, renew the international routes to get to the next 2-3 route unlocks quickly. Those are Engineering, Compass and Banking. If beelining for the UB, you'll hit Engineering on the way and can use that 3rd route (assuming you grabbed sailing) for another international route to get to education, compass and banking faster.

Beelining to the UB means composites and mohawks will be unlocked for defense. It also makes it even more likely that the AI will have quite a few techs you don't leading to education, compass and banking. Which means you'll get more beakers from the international routes as well has discounts on those other techs once you start their paths.

Plus the AI is less likely to DoW when there are trade routes involved.

I'll be playing this... finally a deity culture challenge...
but on a civ that I have close to zero experience with normally... and without any bonuses to tourism... let's see.

On a terrain with no faith generation, and I don't see a single freshwater tile either... with camping luxes... this is gonna be a long game (or a short one due to my ragequit) :lol:

Those deer and truffle forests are just begging to be chopped since neither food or production is lost, but I'll lose the hammer later on...
Goddess of the hunt is the obvious choice but do you really want to open camping before philosophy or even writing? Depends on what turn you get your pantheon (or in the worst case, not at all as someone enhanced too quickly); and it might be lost all too quickly as AIs are very religion-grabbing on deity.

Still debating whether or not to open shrine or granary... (granary is probably better though with those deer but then I might never get my pantheon)

Not sure how arborea looks like in general but if there is only rare mountain sites everywhere then maybe we have a great chance to get Machu Picchu. Is it worth stepping on the deer to be closer? Not sure about that.

Well Machu, unlike observatory needs a mountain in TWO tiles, so your starting location is already OK...

You don't really waste deer completely because once granary kicks in the tile is 3 food so that extra food will be added to the city center; the problem is it will remove the forest which is one hammer later on. I might settler on t5-6 only after I explore a bit... and hope barbs don't nab my settler.

Ooh, Deity culture game with the Iroquois? Awesome!

Settling in place looks nice with the two deer tiles there. Thinking I really want Goddess of the Hunt, and I also really want a quick Granary. Probably best to go Tradition due to having to delay Monument for those. Cargo Ship to the capital would be nice if possible. Capital could be a real production powerhouse.

Thinking I want to get another coastal city and cash buy a Cargo Ship ASAP. Maybe do just two cities before National College, and then hopefully another 2-4 cities after depending on space.

But who knows... the map could point toward something completely different. Like maybe Uluru is nearby.

So far in my practice games production has been fine, but food is a big problem on this map type.

Not with these resources:
Both luxaries and all the bonus resources I see in that screen shot all are Camps.
God of the Hunt as the pantheon.
The start is even on an ocean for Food cargo ships.

Not with these resources:
Both luxaries and all the bonus resources I see in that screen shot all are Camps.
God of the Hunt as the pantheon.
The start is even on an ocean for Food cargo ships.

Not when the AI across the world takes the pantheon you want before you even get a shrine up... (that's what happened to me)

So far in my practice games production has been fine, but food is a big problem on this map type.

I have played a dozen GOTM but yet never played a practiced game.
I looked on the official thread but couldn't find anything precise.
So how do u play those practice games?

Because on the previous one, difficulty was quite easy. But in this case, since I'm still struggling on deity, I will need a bit practice if possible :p

I just set-up a game with the same settings, then keep restarting the map until it's as close as possible to the starting area in the screenshot of the announcement thread.

As KB pointed out that pantheon kept going before I could grab it. Remember the deity AI start with pottery and 2 settlers along with their production bonuses, so they would have no problem getting 2 shrines built before I even finish the tech.

I haven't played civ 5 for 6+ months (and haven't visited the forum too). When I heard that this gotm seems really interesting and challenging, I decided to give it a try. I don't think I can optimize very well like before, but I hope to enjoy this one.

I haven't played civ 5 for 6+ months (and haven't visited the forum too). When I heard that this gotm seems really interesting and challenging, I decided to give it a try. I don't think I can optimize very well like before, but I hope to enjoy this one.

Welcome back glory7!

How was civ4? :D

We do not allow mods in GOTM games. We have not tested bc1's dlc?

We do not know if the game save will parse through the submission system. As you have started, guess you could try and we'll use it as a test case.

bc1 mod doesn't change saves at all.

Also bc1 has been using it in the past gotm from his screenshots.

I use it personally.

Thanks. I'm having good fun in this game even if I can't submit. I'll let you guys know if there seems to be a problem.

I am new to this. But I already play around 300+hours and win several deity CV.

I really would like to try this challenge. But I have some question.

I have altered some of the xml files.

1. removing 500gold for el dorado first founder
2. removing double heal rate for fountain of youth
3. removing plain restriction for stonework.

I wonder if I submit my game, will it still be acceptable. (because I dont have any backup of the xml file thinking that I will never need to revert the xml change back).

Anyway, I will still try this challenge despite above problem and treat it as challenge to myself if it is not accepted for the competition. :)

Top Bottom