Next Turn - 260 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkE

Primate Philosopher
AD 200 – Made recommended changes. Moved units without incident. Viking phalanx and settler are surrounded. FC ocean special revealed to be a whale.

NONE Horsemen in RC sent to Elysium for police instead of making GG warrior (didn’t see this before).

Viking N trireme moves W into blackness. Trireme near FC moves N, returning for pickup? Phalanx fortifies.

IPRB: Dellham $11.

AD 220 – Roaded and irrigated buffalo spotted on Viking continent. Reneax diplomat should investigate. Trireme will pick up.

New island spotted in the SE. There is no Indian city on NW point. MD trireme sets sail with warriors and settlers.

Decided not to attack phalanx (50-50 odds at best, worse if phalanx is veteran). Will demand removal at time of cease fire.

Elvis fired in Elysium. Will save one turn on Cops build. Elvis hired in OP (grows next turn).

IPRBs: Dellham $11, RC $4, Neuma $4.

AD 240 – Caravan rehomed in Reneaux. Hut spotted on SE island. OP grows to size 3.

No IPRB.

Viking trireme drops off horsemen NW,NW of The Udal. Another unit still on board.

The Russians have undertaken King Richard’s Crusade.

AD 260 – Warriors on SE island pop the hut. An advanced tribe (Khorsabad)! Trireme started.

Settler founds Polar City. Trireme started.

Horsemen sent toward The Udal. Trireme positioned to ferry diplomat from there.

TF hires Elvis to prevent disorder.

Feeling uncomfortable about the safety of The Udal trireme, President MonkE calls in the cabinet to discuss events. Should peace be made with the Vikings? There is time to send an emissary before End of Turn.

Saved game mr_a260.sav

260AD Status of the NUF Monarchy - 332 gold

Excellent, Mr President MonkE! Two New cities, stability, I love it. Sending the Horse from REGIA CIVITAS to Elysium was very clever, sir, as well as Coaxing 4 cities into celebration without Luxuries. All units have moved this turn, including the new Diplomat now within The Udal.

Mr. President, I will have many questions for our Citizens, which I will pose tomorrow. We can return the Elysium serfs to the Gems; when we complete our Copernicus in 2 turns, the Indians will be sorely disappointed. For now, who are the Russians you mentioned? And what does King Richard mean?

260 AD Status: 1,070,000 people in 23 cities. 332 gold, 30,00,70% One Scientist & 5 Elvii. As downloaded (w Elysium Gems) F5 $32 -11, Sci 86 in 7 turns. F11 Mfg=97, Family Size=4.1 NUF is again #1 Population!, Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, #3 in Family Size. Our strategies are confusing our enemies, while we continue to plan even more cities, such as the South West.

200 AD Status was: 1,000,000 people in 21 cities. 307 gold, 30,00,70% One Scientist & 6 Elvii. As downloaded F5 $24 -10, Sci 62 in 10 turns, because Elysium has dropped offline momentarily. F11 Mfg=88, Family Size=4.3 Even without Elysium, NUF is still #1 Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, but slipped to #2 in Population, #3 in Family Size. Our strategies are angering our enemies, yet we must continue to plan more cities. The new Island City, on Buffalo, will be a great one. And cities in the South West.

Still researching Polytheism Elephants (due in 1-2 turns), known: Alphabet, Astronomy, Bronze, CBurial, CodeLaws, Construction, Currency, HBR - Horse Back Riding, Iron Working, Literacy, Map Making, Masonry, Mathematics, Monarchy, Mysticism, Philosophy, Pottery, Trade, WarriorCode and Writing.

We own 9 Temples and 2 Libraries, all producing well, and are building Temples in Legendary City and Eboracum. The Copernicus Plan will be completed in 2 turns, and Gabba Gabba is building a new Caravan rather than quickie Warrior Police for Elysium.

We own 4 Caravans: two Caravans have been completed for the new Mike's Project, and the Reneaux Salt is heading down river to Elysium. The Civvium Silver is wandering near Gabba Gabba, yet it was scheduled for direct delivery to Demand at REGIA CIVITAS?

All major central roads are completed. The Reneaux Settler is building Fort Anarchy's COAL MINE, nearly done. You have nearly completed our Trade Route booster roads near Elysium, which may add 2 trade to RC. We have begin the Chryshe Road from Castle Jayne up to Legendary City, and progressed on The Udal Dellham turnpike.

Citizens, I heartily recommend the Boreum Bridge Filler City. On the River Bend, between OP Reneaux and Eboracum, exactly 2 squares E of Reneaux. That site connects our Boreum cities to our Kingdom, and facilitates both a harvest of caravans and support of our new North Eastern Expedition. The MD Settler is in position to found this city.

We have many cities that can build anything: Dellham, Mordhiemia, Civvium are all planning Caravans? Beast Flats has completed Archers and could now build a Diplomat? Khorsabad (rename?) and Polar City (rename!) are starting Triremes, sir? REGIA CIVITAS and Fort Anarchy will soon complete Caravans, also ThunderFalls, Castle Jayne and Neuma. Octavia's Point will complete Settlers in 2 turns. Legendary City will complete its Temple in 2 turns.

I regret I was unable to complete my usual thorough analysis. Please forgive me.

Respectfully submitted, by Your Minister of the Interior.

With a quick look at the save, one thing that jumped at me was the state of Polar City. It is queued up for a Trireme. I know it was just built, so it can change to anything, but with the AI's previlance to moving units along the Poles, I would like to see a defender down there, even a Phalanx. Ideally, we should get a fort in the southern most grassland in the city radi with the defender(s) stationed there.

It is an outpost for us, but if the AI is using the poles as their highway this game we may get lots of traffic down there.

Another note, if we move the diplomat out of The Udal, can't the unit in the viking trireme just occupy the city? Also, let's hope the AI doesn't use it's all knowing powers to see that we only have a diplomat in the city and attack it with the trireme. There are three units supported by that city, it would be a shame to lose them. Perhaps we can move the (Ren) horseman into the city next turn for at least some protection? Then we may want to consider switching the Phalanx (that is on the hill right now) and the horseman (that would be in the city) to make it a bit more secure...?

Whew, this is the fun part of the game, ain't it? :D

BTW, I have updated the Wonder and Science threads in the Game Information Links

:goodjob:
I don't like having all those vikings around Udal:( And if it's true that we only have a diplomat for defence, it's even worse. Moving the horseman into Udal, and then switch it is a good idea, but can we attack their phalanx or should we wait for a dip to arrive? It doesn't make much of a threat, but he's annoying.

Can I take it that the vikings move next?

If The Udal survives to our next turn, can we bribe the trireme?

RE Khorsobad. Shame it isn't one square north-west to encompass the fish, but I don't really think its worth disbanding for that is it? Using my incredible powers of observation, it looks like two squares on the north-east edge are coastal. Therefore, this may be an island, or a peninsula linking to the land area to the north where the settler and the warrior are. What's the unit on the Trireme? Another settler? If it is a peninsula, I would advocate settling on it to provide a fast sea-route around the island. Gut feeling is that its an island though.

What are the feelings on the next wonder? I've lost track of where we are at. Are there any we can start to switch later?

Spotting the viking irrigation is promising. I'd suggested scouting the city out. The first city on another continent would be great for trade purposes. Because the vikings aren't exactly world-leaders, the extra trade may not benefit them as much as (say) the indians. :)

All in all though, good work :goodjob:

Can I push a personal agenda?

Whilst wandering through my beautiful city (Civvium) I noticed it is only defende by one unit, a warrior!
Are we going to risk losing such a nice city to the feared barbarians or are we going to do something about it? Build extra guard or diplo to bribe the barbs!

More game notes:

Civvium caravan destination got lost in my notes. :blush: Will reroute.

Builds in Polar City, Beast Flats, and Khorsabad (needs name change) are to be changed. Discussion of what to build is one reason play was stopped here.

Original plan was to load diplomat on trireme to cross channel. When Viking trireme appeared and dropped horsemen, I suspected the other unit was settlers. Because city was empty and trireme could be attacked, diplomat was sent to garrison city instead of boarding. Now it will take an extra turn to land the dip on the other shore. Intention was to send horsemen to replace diplomat, then swap with phalanx.

If all goes well, we'll soon get the dip across the pond, bribe a city, make peace, and demand withdrawal of troops. We should be better prepared for war before the demand - they may declare war again.

Actually, I tried to bribe the trireme already, but was reminded that a loaded trireme can't be bribed (option window won't even pop up).

Yes, it's a shame Khorsabad isn't located optimally. It would take 22 turns to disband with first settler, perhaps not worth it. At least it's a free city!

TF needed to hire Elvis because another black dude appeared after the 2 new cities.

Note: the LN Warrior is in Khorsabad, and the GG Warrior is on the nearby Trireme.

Khorsabad. I like having a free city, and my own plan is to never disband and relocate a city. On the other hand, the NUF citizens are so tight about Fillers. If we relocate it NW, fans of Big Cities will prefer that, and they might then let us build a filler on the Pure Green with tha other Fish. I just don't know...

Someone must poll to change Neuma ASAP to Legion in 1. With a little waste, also Fort Anarchy Legion in 1.

I will poll the Civvium Silver caravan today. Either way, direct to RC or rehome in Elysium, there are advantages to both. Polar City should build Phx. We can't build an Explorer yet.

Does anyone know for sure, can we choose Monotheism next?

I propose that we move the new city (currently khorsabad) 1 square NW as a special is wasted.
I agree with Gary, as long as a decent city is built, you can grab the fish in with a filler if you like!!!!
I wouldnt call it a filler though, more a minor city.

Aonia Detailed City Status and Analysis -260AD

NUF needs Governors in both Boreum and Chryshe. Please post here, in this thread, refresh and check. Then plan the province, and promptly post either a discussion or poll.

Keep Tax 30%, Science 70%, max Science?

Assuming various recommended changed below, NUF is producing:
5 Settlers, 9 Caravans, 1 Diplomat (2 on duty near Vikings),
3 Legion, 1 Archer, 1 Phx, 2 Temples and Cop's
We could change some of these Caravans to Diplomats...

Rename Polar City? Frozen Beast? Antarctic Beast? I am not going to poll for a name for Khorsabad until we decide to keep it or disband it -- see the discussion above and in Filler Cities.

I am beginning to plan unit supports for Republic. Please help. Reneaux is a mess.

REGIA CIVITAS: Caravan 44/50 in 1 turn, feed Mike's
  Please explore to clear the Black near REGIA CIVITAS.
  Temple, 2 guards, 7 shields + 5 tax + 24 beakers
  Then another Caravan? Settler before grows in 27?
  Recommend we retain the Scientist, serfs 2 Whales & 2 Roads.
Elysium: Cop's 289/300 in 2, has grown to Size=4
  has Temple, 3 guards, 6 shields, 20 trade (-5): 6 tax + 21 beakers.
  Legion & Phx guards + None Horse, very strong.
Two Caravans on Road are planned for Mike's.
  Perhaps we should build Mike's in REGIA CIVITAS for safety?

TFalls: Caravan 41/50 in 3 turns.
  UMngmt! Forest Serf to Road for 3 turns for +1 beaker
  Then build what? Another Caravan? Serf back on Forest.
Civvium: Caravan 0/50 in 7 with IPRB=30 $4. 2 Warriors.
  Deliver Silver ASAP into demand of REGIA CIVITAS.
  Either direct from Civvium, or Rehome in Elysium?

Supporting Trireme, no more units, please.
Little Nemo: Settlers 9/40, with $2 in 10, seems ok.
Bedfont Lakes: Caravan 30/30 in 4 turns
  Food adequate, now 5/30, serfs Road and Forest
Gabba Gabba: Caravan 15/50 in 7, feed Mike's. No growth, fine.
  Warrior in 2 turns is delayed 9 turns?
Beast Flats: Diplomat 0/30 in 6? Grows in 14.
  Seems tricky to plan Settler, but necessary.
Polar City: Phalanx 0/20 in 7?
  Rename to Frozen Beast? I'd rather not poll...

Other urgencies I see:
Marl Downs: Settlers 8/40 in 8. Assumes we build a Filler.
Dellham: Caravan 0/50 in 10. Supporting 3 units already.
Reneaux: Caravan 10/50 in 8. Supporting Settler + 3 units +Dip +Salt!
Neuma: Caravan 38/50 in 4. Change to Legion in 1 !
Eboracum: Temple 25/40 in 3. Hire Elvis with Whale.

The Udal: Archer 10/30 in 10. Keep Phx fortified on Hill.
  Our new merchants live in constant fear of Vikings.
Fort Anarchy: Caravan 45/50 in 2. Legion in 1?
  Coal Mine in 1-2 turns, will be nice.
Monks Towne: Legion 16/40 in 6. IPRB $6?
  Change to Settlers, or use Elvis?
Legendary City: Temple 32/40 in 2, then TRIREME!?
  Trireme was approved in old Caravan Priority poll

Name this Trireme "SS India?"
Castle Jayne: Caravan 35/50 in 5.

Khorsabad: growing fast, Food +3 per turn, Settlers!

TFalls Settler (near CJ) Roads to Legendary City?
None Settler near GG, Finish Forest Road, then what?
  perhaps N E charge, NE NE charge, E Road on GLS.

Nice work in the SE, Mr. President :D The situation around the Udal is getting dicy, though :eek: I like Gary's plan of switching to some Legions. The Udal certainly needs better defense before we get into war with the Viks again.

GaryNemo, I'm sure this is being discussed elsewhere, but if I'm reading your Boreum filler city directions correctly, you can't build a city there because it would be inside the city radius for Octavia's Point. We'll have to wait for bridge building or find another way to connect Boreum.

Cities can't be built on adjacent squares, but a city can be built on a non-adjacent square in the radius of another city (tested).

Originally posted by MonkE
Cities can't be built on adjacent squares, but a city can be built on a non-adjacent square in the radius of another city (tested).
That's what I love about these demo games, I'm always learning something new! :scan: (we used to have an "enlighten" smiley; need it right here).

Okay, my knowledge of city building improved, I will still argue against this filler city. We're going to want Bridge Building anyway to increase trade arrows at least in Elysium, so in the meantime why build a city that will never grow and also choke another good city just to have a bridge? Seems like a long-term problem for a short-term gain to me. (and yes, I see the advantage of GN's other filler cities--seems this one has more going against it).

Chryshe needs a Governor. Perhaps CivGeneral will seize command?

Here I recommend 2 Legions be immediately added to The Udal Fray, from Neuma and Fort Anarchy. Also the Reneaux Settler complete the FA Coal Mine, then S to found Safe Plains Filler. We need another Diplomat nearly everywhere.

Should we advance the CJ Archer from Green to Forest, and attempt to draw fire from the Viking Horse stack?

Dellham: Caravan 0/50 in 10, grows in 34.
  Supporting 3 units, War Legion + 2 Archer guards + Dip
Reneaux: Caravan 10/50 in 8, gorws in 31.
  Supporting Settler + 3 units +Dip +Salt!

The Udal: Archer 10/30 in 10. Keep Phx fortified on Hill!
  Our new merchants live in constant fear of Vikings.

Perhaps switch to Phx and Rush Buy $25?
  Settler proceed S and Road to Dellham.
Roskilde is on plan, Settler in 5, Food 6/30.
  Found Fruit City on Forest @ Wounded Archer Guard.
Fort Anarchy: Caravan 45/50 in 2. Legion in 1? Grows in 6.
  Coal Mine in 1-2 turns, will be nice.
  Build new Caravan in fewer than 10 turns.
  Then Reneaux Settler S, found Plains Filler.
Monks Towne: Legion 16/40 in 6. IPRB $6?
  Change to Settlers, or use Elvis?
  I recommend change to Settlers in 6, no IPRB,
   Then MT will snap right back to Size=2
Legendary City: Temple 32/40 in 2, then TRIREME!?
  Serf onto Iron, 7 shields / turn, grows in 30.
  Trireme was approved in old Caravan Priority poll

Name this Trireme "SS India?"
  Mountain Archer patrol back SW, then S?
Castle Jayne: Caravan 35/50 in 5. Grows in 15.
  Neuma Settler SW to complete Road? or head North?

TFalls Settler (near CJ) Roads to Legendary City?
  NE Road, N Road, N Road Oasis, NW Road, done.

Other interesting cities:
Eboracum: Temple 25/40 in 3. Hire Elvis with Whale.
Neuma: Caravan 38/50 in 4. Change to Legion in 1 !
Khorsabad: growing fast, Food +3 per turn, Settlers!?

Soon we will have Elephants!

When we get Bridge Building (which will take forever, everything else is more important), then we can build a road on a river square. And when we do, we get one more trade arrow.

Btw, I like Frozen Toe as the new name for Polar City. I do not want to poll, nor do I want to cross the Duke. This will happen again somewhere else, hence we must rename it. Penguin Run is out (tho cute), Frozen Toe is in. Any objections?

Summarizing, we might plan to build Mike's in RC, but no one knows how soon we'll get the Science Monotheism. Until we know, let's keep changing Caravans to Diplomats. Like we're now about to change 1 or 2 Caravans to Chryshe Legions.

I'd like to have a clearer idea of how many dips we want to build. My new motto: "When in doubt, a caravan".

When in doubt, start or finish a caravan. My #1 motto.

Here are some more of mine:
Rule of 28: When a 7-builder has 28, ALWAYS IPRB $4 to 30.
Rule of 18: When a 6-builder has 18, ALWAYS IPRB $4 to 20.
If safe, build city first. If not safe, Road out to city.
Keep a diplomat within 5 road squares of every point.

So we need at least one Dip in Boreum, Aonia, GG and LC, as soon as practical. Plus as Captain of every Trireme.

Heading to Republic: One War unit supported by each city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom