Next Turn - 500 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkE

Primate Philosopher
AD 420 (Continued) – Made recommended changes.

Middle barbarian legion bribed for $82. Legion attacks SW barb, wins (barely), and is promoted to veteran. Diplomat bribes (and boards) trireme for $82. Mordhemia is overloaded with support, so trireme sails toward Eboracum to rehome.

Founding of Nautilus (Fruit City) is delayed due to concerns about Roskilde growth.

IPRB: LN $2

Barb legion moves next to Eboracum.

AD 440 – MT builds Salt caravan. Temple started (per poll). Eboracum celebrates.

Ebo archer attacks and kills last barb legion, is promoted to veteran. Trireme rehomes in Ebo.

Settler near Reneaux heads over to found New Octavia.

Viking settler spotted irrigating N of Viborg. The city must be Hladir.

Eastern trireme scouts shoreline of big island. It is closest to Ebo.

IPRBs: RC $6, GG $4, BFL $11+$25. Made other recommended changes.

Viking catapult spotted NE of Viborg.

AD 460 – Mordhemia and MD finish dip and Silk caravan. Settlers started.

Eastern trireme scouts shoreline of big island. Next to pheasant, it is now closest to Antioch.

Buffalo spotted on island NE of Dellham.

Northern trireme W,NW of whale now closest to Trondheim.

The Persians have started a Great Library.

AD 480 – Ebo builds dip, settlers started. Neuma builds Hides caravan, settlers started. BFL finishes Wine caravan.

NUF wise men discover Monotheism! Engineering started.

Land spotted N of Viking Island. More land spotted W of LC. Medium small island found W of Elysium. Eastern trireme turns back toward Boreum for possible pickup of caravan to deliver to Athens.

MT Salt caravan rehomed in Elysium.

New Octavia founded! Settler started.

A receptive emissary of Xerxes, a Persian elephant, greets the new warrior from Penguin Flats and requests an audience. They wish to exchange knowledge of Seafaring for Philosophy. It is decided to exchange knowledge perhaps once, to see what else they may know. That is the only tech offered. They offer a peace treaty which is accepted. Since the unit is an elephant, it is decided to not to demand tribute.

AD 500 – Fort Anarchy builds Cloth caravan for potential Elysium demand. Diplomat started.

Civvium commissions diplomat, Crusaders started. Elysium finishes Courthouse, Marketplace started.

Dellham commissions diplomat, Caravan started.

RC commissions diplomat, Mike’s Chapel started. All but one of the caravans contributed into the wonder (I thought they were all in range ????).

Northern trireme now near Aarhus. LC trireme near Calcutta.

President MonkE calls in the Cabinet – it’s been a long day.

1. Where should the new diplomats be positioned?
2. Roskilde: Detailed plan needed, IPRB? (I wasn’t clear about founding FC. It looked like Roskilde would grow too fast, so I waited).
3. Deliver Elysium Salt to Athens? Elysium Wine en route to Viborg or Trondheim.
4. Where does the Reneaux Silk go? Will Delhi allow 2 Silk deliveries?

Vikings

West Map

East Map

Saved Game mr_a500.sav

Edit: Corrected errors.

500AD Status of the NUF Monarchy - 290 gold

Good, the Barbs have been driven out! Octavia's Point has been rebuilt, and is growing madly +4, will grow in 4 turns. We still control both Fort Anarchy and Monks Towne, the latter building a Temple. I'm not sure what happened with Fruit City, but we do have a Road built, and an Archer and Phalanx are on location.

We are ready to build Mike's Chapel. The TFalls Silk Caravan that is tardy began its turn one square away on the road, so it appears the goofy Goto Command delayed us. In a scant 20 years, Mike's will be completed, so we can use more GrassLand Food, Settlers and Irrigation.

Elysium: Marketplace 0/80 in 14. Needs irrigation desperately. Courthouse, 24.Trade & 3.Corruption. 7.Gold + 50.Beakers + 6.Shields. Serfs on Gems Silk Whale and Road. 2 Red + 2 Black, Temple & 3 guards.

500 AD Status: 1,120,000 people in 24 cities. 290 gold, 30,00,70% One Scientist, 4.Elvii, 4.Celebrations. F5 $42 -15, Sci 133 in 6 turns. F11 Mfg=99, Family Size=4.6 NUF is again #1 in Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, only #2 in Population, slipped to #3 in Family Size.

420 AD Status: 1,090,000 people in 23 cities. 400 gold, 30,00,70% One Scientist, 3.Elvii, 4.Celebrations. F5 $39 -14, Sci 125 in 5 turns. F11 Mfg=96 (-9%), Family Size=4.5
NUF was again #1 in Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, slipped to #2 in Population, gained to #2 in Family Size. The Manufacturing decrease and Family Size increase were due to increased food micromanagement in anticipation of Mike's Chapel in 4 turns. RC and Elysium are each gaining 3*3 Trade Arrows, a total of 18; GG and Ren have +1 each. Those Barb Legions were a painful loss of productivity, while our strategies destroy the Vikings, and we continue to plan more cities, and larger cities. The loss of the OP Settlers was particularly devastating to me, sir, since we could have built two cities with them long ago.

It is too late to study at this. We have 7 Settlers and 10 in production. Citizens, as we begin planning afresh, please contemplate that more Temples are not what we need. We need Irrigation and Settlers. More Cities. Perhaps another Diplomat or two. More cities. We need Caravans and Invention, then Republic. Maybe a Crusader, certainly Settlers and more cities. Magellan and Caravels would be nice. And of course more cities. My .02

I recommend we discuss and plan carefully, and then move only one turn, maybe two, enough for Mike's Chapel to become effective so we can all see our true new situation.

Respectfully submitted, by Your Minister of the Interior.

Indeed we need more settlers, according to the city-plan in last turn's thread we need 15 settlers to found the cities Gary recommended and an additional 2 for the cities I recommended. Are we going to settle the newly discovered islands soon? We need even more settlers! :eek:

So let's build them! What we also need is settlers to improve terrain. Some units to defend ourselves would be nice, before republic we need to build the strong defences and attackers so we can disband the stupid warriors.

We might need a diplo in Penguin Flats to buy the elephant if it decides to attack, defense against elephant is difficult....

The road from Roskilde to Fort Anarchy is ready, build that Fruit City!
That's it from me for now.

MonkE wrote: Nautilus (Fruit City) is founded. Roskilde archer, phalanx, and settler rehome there. Roskilde now supports no units.

I'm confused!!! I'm looking at the 500ad save. I can't find Nautilus, and Roskilde still supports 2 settlers, and archer and a phalanx!

Dellham commissions diplomat, Caravan started.

Dellham is building Mike's!

Eastern trireme turns back toward Boreum for possible pickup of caravan to deliver to Athens.

Do we know where the Greeks are? If we are sending a trireme to aimlessly wonder the seas for a town we have no knowledge of, you can guarantee by the time we find it, Athens will no longer want Hides. Persepolis would be a better choice, at least we have an idea where the Persians are.

I suggest that we build cities on the 1-tile islands ASAP. These all have some form of special, so will grow reasonably well. They also can be good bases for trade - just have them generate lots of caravans. The real beauty is that the will not be in any danger of capture for a millenia or so :D

Originally posted by ainwood
I suggest that we build cities on the 1-tile islands ASAP. These all have some form of special, so will grow reasonably well. They also can be good bases for trade - just have them generate lots of caravans. The real beauty is that the will not be in any danger of capture for a millenia or so :D
I agree on two:
the island with the bull on it
the island with the grassland shield on it

Were you thinking of the same two?

500AD Status of the NUF Monarchy - 290 gold

Researching Engineering (due in 5 turns), known: Alphabet, Astronomy, Bronze, CBurial, CodeLaws, Construction, Currency, HBR, Iron Working, Literacy, Map Making, Masonry, Mathematics, Monarchy, Monotheism, Mysticism, Philosophy, Polytheism Elephants, Pottery, Persian Seafaring Harbors and Explorers, Trade, WarriorCode, Wheel and Writing.

We own the same 11 Temples, 2 Libraries, a Courthouse, and a Barracks in Uppsala, and are building The MarketPlace of Elysium, Mike's Chapel, 2.Caravans, 5.Diplomats, 10.Settlers, 2.Infantry and 1.Crusaders.

We own 5 Triremes, 8 Diplomats, and 8 Caravans: one stragler near REGIA CIVITAS, also Neuma Hides, Ren Silk (hiding in GG) & FA Cloth inbound, Elysium Salt Northbound, Elysium Wine ready to board Trireme (w Dip) at Dellham, Marl Downs Silk walking west thru the Forest, and RC Silk sailing (w Dip) along the coast of India!

Civ1 has noted the need for a Diplomat at Penguin Flats, I concur. The Persians have given us all they know, Seafaring. Now Penguin Flats could also use an explorer, and many coastal cities with Temples that need irrigatation can instead build a Harbor! Elysium will be better served by a Harbor than a Marketplace, and it is worth $68 IPRB to me. More to contemplate.

Respectfully submitted, by Your Minister of the Interior.

Originally posted by ainwood
Yep, although I was actually thinking of the forest one as well - just cut down the forest first. Allows the two whales to be used. :)
No not the forrest island! the whale south can be exploited by a city on the southern tip of the bigger island we're uncovering right now. The whale north can (together with the fish to the east) be exploited by a city on the bigger island. Maybe it's even a 3 or 4 special spot there!!!

These are the locations I suggest. Maybe my opinion changes when the rest of the bigger island gets revealed. ;)

Attachments

• nuf-0500-east.jpg
    nuf-0500-east.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 133
Sorry for the confusion in the post. :blush: I had pre-written plans for Nautilus in my summary file that were changed during the game play. I forgot to update the file before posting.

The Dellham/Mike's error was because the build wasn't changed right away. Making changes later had the cities mixed up.

It was a long day following less sleep than usual. I'm still tired.

by Jayne
Do we know where the Greeks are?
Yes, I'd say we have a very good idea of where they are. The trireme was exploring a rather large island and was closest to Antioch. A unit on Wheat island was also reported closest to Antioch. Athens is likely quite close.

Another unstated reason for the trireme to turn back was the possible need to have a ferry between Aonia/Boreum and the Eastern islands (if it was decided not to send units to the Greeks). The new barb trireme went to Chryshe to ferry units to the Viking area and all the others were exploring elsewhere.

Those cities get my vote too but lets settle mainland cities first and the islands afterwards.
The new continents need colonising before the other civs get there.
YES we need settlers.

Originally posted by civ1-addict

No not the forrest island! the whale south can be exploited by a city on the southern tip of the bigger island we're uncovering right now. The whale north can (together with the fish to the east) be exploited by a city on the bigger island. Maybe it's even a 3 or 4 special spot there!!!

Fair enough, but I'd consider settling that island anyway - simply to prevent the AI from settling it. We can then control what squares we utilise, and even starve it down later. :)

Originally posted by MonkE
Yes, I'd say we have a very good idea of where they are. The trireme was exploring a rather large island and was closest to Antioch. A unit on Wheat island was also reported closest to Antioch. Athens is likely quite close.

Err........ is Antioch not a Persian city?

Perhaps it is. Somehow I thought it was Greek ... :crazyeye: My mind isn't working so well this week.

I hope to return to adequate functioning soon.

Aonia and other Cities 500AD

Download serf changes:
RC: Road serf to ocean for 1 turn
Little Nemo: Elvis and SE Grassland Road
Penguin Flats: switch to Dip 3/20 in 9?
So: F5 $43 -15, Sci 133/6, Mfg=98, FS=4.7

Aonia Cities
RC: Mike's 350/400 in 1 w Caravan, Scientist
  Trade=23 tax=7 beakers=28 prod=7
Elysium: Marketplace 0/80 in 14. Grows in 30, pathetic.
  Needs irrigation desperately, so Harbor first?
TFalls: Diplomat 28/30 in 1, then Caravan?
  Rehome Dip in LN, guard Elysium & CJ.
Civvium: Crusaders 0/40 in 8. Grows in 2, good!
  Needs another Road desperately,
  supports a Trireme, rehome Crusaders in TFalls.
Bedfont Lakes: Caravan 5/50 in 9
  Could use Civ Road now to grow a bit?
Little Nemo: Settler 22/40 in 6
Gabba Gabba: Caravan 25/50 in 5
  Could use LN Road, Irrigation, Harbor to grow?
Beast Flats: Diplomat 22/30 in 3, grows in 2.
  Needs helper Settler to avoid Food=0

Northern Cities
Marl Downs: Settler 8/40 in 8
Mordhiemia: Settler 6/40 in 9
Octavia's Point: Settlers 2/40 in 12?
Eboracum: Settlers 4/40 in 9 ?
  Supports a Trireme and its own guard.
Khorsabad: Settler 37/40 in 1, then Settler?
Neuma: switch to Caravan 4/50 in 7?

Dellham: Dip 0/30 in 6? Grows in 5, good!
Reneaux: Dip 20/30 in 2, then Caravan?
  serf to River grassland, grows in 10.
Fort Anarchy: sw to Caravan 0/50 in 10
  needs Road for Pure Green serf.
Monks Towne: Temple 12/40 in 7
  Switch to Settlers in 7?
Legendary City: Dip 24/30 in 1, then Caravan?
Castle Jayne: Settler 21/40 in 5, grows in 3, good!

Roskilde: Settlers 12/40, Food=16/20 ???
Udal: Settler 33/40 in 3, then Caravan?
  Irrigate GLS Road, grows in 3+4 turns.
Uppsala: Legion 4/40 in 9, grows in 9
  Needs helper Settler to irrigate, then Iron.

Settlers near LC (Neuma TFalls) Road, W Road, W Road.
Ren Settler: finish Mine 5/10, Connect Road to Oasis, Plains Filler.

The LC Trireme (w Dip & RC Silk) is near Calcutta, Indian City#5. Jayne has mentioned Dehli is more likely back and North along the coast. I concur.

Dip Captains like to go ashore. At any point during a Trireme's move, the Dip can go ashore onto Grassland or Plains, perhaps shop for prices, then reboard the Trireme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom