NFL Off Season 2017

The theory I heard RE: the Raiders is that Adelson was looking for an ownership stake in the team in exchange for his $650M contribution to the stadium, and either Davis, the NFL, or both said no. That Goldman Sachs has now backed out of the deal, and Las Vegas has said they won't chip in more, essentially makes the deal dead in the water.

The theory I heard RE: the Raiders is that Adelson was looking for an ownership stake in the team in exchange for his $650M contribution to the stadium, and either Davis, the NFL, or both said no.

Davis obviously realized that Adelson was going to back out since Adelson was not mentioned in the relocation request. Not only
was he likely looking for an ownership stake, he was probably looking for revenue from the stadium, which Davis wants to keep
for himself.

Is it even remotely possible that the Washington team could let Kirk Cousins get away?

You would think not - even though he has his flaws, you could also do much worse than him. But the Redskins
seem to want to dither some more on a long term contract, which can only work against them as resorting to a
second tag will give Cousins all of the leverage.

Speaking of QBs: As I'm sure all of you know, this is not considered a good crop of incoming QBs. And as
we all know, this won't stop teams at the top of the draft from reaching for them. I'd guess 3 go in the top

Depends. How much is he asking? He's good but not great. Paying a crazy amount for a QB is
Don't do it San Fran!

Not an expert at all on the QBs coming out of college, but they couldn't be worse than what they've already got. In fairness the entire 49ers squad is terrible, not just the QBs. They need all kinds of help. The draft pick system exists for a reason, the only thing I know is they'll be better.

Depends. How much is he asking? He's good but not great. Paying a crazy amount for a QB is

Not an expert at all on the QBs coming out of college, but they couldn't be worse than what they've already got. In fairness the entire 49ers squad is terrible, not just the QBs. They need all kinds of help. The draft pick system exists for a reason, the only thing I know is they'll be better.
So, so true. A cousin texted me a couple days ago that the 49ers picked up a decent DE, and I texted back something along the lines of "Not impressed... 1 down, 21 to go."

They need linemen, then d-linemen, then linemen, then d-linemen, and so on. Getting a new QB on a team in this state would be a complete waste.

I trust the coaches of a professional team knows more than amateurs on the internet. Whatever decision they make will be better than whatever we think.

That said, I don't know that a new QB will be a 'complete waste'. The answer is you're rolling the dice. The eagles became significantly better with Wentz. Goff, at least for now, seems like a bust. Keep in mind in last year's draft we said the same thing 'none of the QBs are good'. Prescott and Wentz were definitely good. Or at the very least, improved the team from where they were before. Then there were other QBs who weren't that good, or at least, weren't that good for their first year.

'Rolling the dice' applies to all positions though, not just QBs. Antonio Brown was a sixth round pick. Doug Baldwin went undrafted, and ended being by far the best wide receiver the Seahawks have. Then there were first round picks who were terrible.

It's always easier to laugh at a team for the mistakes they made in retrospect. You can apply to be the 49ers head coach yourself, but don't hold your breath.

I trust the coaches of a professional team knows more than amateurs on the internet. Whatever decision they make will be better than whatever we think.
Also very, very true. I remind myself of that every time I watch this...

Ah memories... anyway, far be it from me... an amateur on the internet... to question a professional coach, afterall, "Whatever decision they make will be better than whatever we think" amirite?;)

In any case I'd rather go with the safer bet of linemen than "roll the dice"... rolling the dice is what you do with your wine pairing, not the main course. Case-in-point, watch the above clip... all the linemen held their blocks magnificently... it was the damn "dice rolls" that screwed up.

Last edited:
Professionals are not immune from mistakes. What I will say is if you or me had been the coach, the Seahawks wouldn't have shown up to the Super Bowl to begin with. Pete Carroll knows more about football than we do.

Let the church say Amen. :please:

In my own defense, however, I will offer that I have a big shiny championship ring in my drawer with Coach Me's name on it, that says I do have at least some insight into properly coaching football... not NFL obviously, but ... just sayin'... all ignorance isn't created equal;)

I have also coached high school football professionally... as in for-a-living, as in, my primary source of income... in addition to winning championships doing so... So there's that...

But yea, like you said... amateurs don't know squat... I agree.;)

Last edited:
I'd have that on my finger, not in a drawer. But that's just me.

So, what's the most likely team to take AP? He's by far my favorite back, and despite him being injury-prone, I would like him to be a few more seasons in the league...

Everyone with a brain: "That Kenny Britt contract from the Browns is the dumbest FA signing since Osweiller"

Jimmy Haslam: "omg I loved him in Twilight, call Houston"

The move itself would actually be okay for Cleveland if they got better compensation. Giving up your (likely early) 4th-rounder and eating that Osweiller money in exchange for Houston's probably late 2nd-rounder seems like a terrible deal. If I'm Cleveland I don't know why I'm giving you anything in exchange when you have no one else to offload that albatross to. Straight up Osweiller for a 2nd would have been acceptable.

Last edited:
Can somebody soothe my emotions over the 49ers paying Garcon 16 million?
It will take time for the Niners to shed their dysfunctional rep, so they're going to have to overpay to get anyone remotely resembling a competent FA to play there. See Raiders, Oakland for the first 3 years of their current regime.

Re : Osweiller : It does help the Browns get to the spending floor (they're going to have to overspend for the same reason as the Niners), and they may throw him to the wolves this year whilst their drafted QB gets to sit for a year. This does NOT make any sense if the
Browns still think they have a chance at Garappolo. Bill Palpatine would just laugh manaically if the Browns tried to package Oz in some way to get Garappolo.

This would explain the sudden switch from "Romo will be released" to "Romo will be traded".

I REALLY wouldn't go all in for a Quarterback that hasn't been proven. Garappolo played in what, 2 games? And suddenly he's great? Even Osweiller himself did more than that.

'wasting' a first round pick for a QB would obviously be bad, but at least you won't get stuck with a massive contract. Hell, Brady himself was a sixth rounder. Russell Wilson was a third rounder. I could go on and on.

I can understand that teams would be willing to roll the dice that Garappolo is ready to be a starting QB, but to give him a massive contract for the job would be insane. Another factor that I haven't even mentioned is that Garappolo performed well for those two games... while playing for the Patriots. The Browns are much worse than the Patriots, even if you took Tom Brady out of the picture.

I don't know who will the Browns next QB. Hell, at this point they may as well keep RGIII. He's certainly not good, but there are plenty of starting QBs that are just as bad. They definitely shouldn't give their next starting QB a massive contract unless he's already a proven winner. If Aaron Rodgers shows up and demands a ton of money of course they should give it. Someone who has barely proven anything, don't do that.

edit: I also want to address the argument 'no QB in this draft is good.' We had this same talk last year. Prescott seems capable. Wentz seems good. I'm sure there are others as well that I'm forgetting, and some of them may simply need more than a year.

Then the year before that. Once again there was talk that all the QBs suck. Mariota seems decent enough. Winston might be even better.

The Browns wouldn't even have to sacrifice draft picks to get the top pick. They could get any QB they want. Even then, I'm not necessarily saying they should do it. But it definitely wouldn't be any worse than paying someone a ton of money that hasn't proven anything.

Top Bottom