NHL Regular Season Thread

Blackhawks lose Patrick Sharp for 2-3 weeks. :sad:

Looks like we'll have to reach deep again to fill the hole. Any thoughts on Petri Kontiola's capabilities?

Source? I don't see it anywhere.

If that's true then the Canadiens just got perhaps the best puck-moving defenseman available for a trade this season other than Bouwmeester. Didn't Schneider used to play for Montreal a little while back?

It's all over the Montreal french news. Will try to find it in english. And yeah, Schneider played here before - started his career here, actually, and was there for the last Stanley Cup (93). Belief has it that he got traded away for sleeping with Patrick Roy's wife.

Source:
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/ccustance.tsn/184163/

The conditional draft pick would be a 3rd round pick if the Habs do not make playoffs going back one round for each playoff rounds involved.

I feel like Montreal is a little desperate in this trade. Schneider used to be a good d-man, but he has only 4 points on the PP right now, and is definitely not the offensive d-man the Canadiens need. Giving up 2 picks for a player that is almost 40 and will probably not come back seems very high to me. Considering that he was on waivers at the beginning of this season.

Montreal is a little desperate, no mistake. Then again, you have to consider just what offensive D-man are available. There's J-Bo, J-Bo, and J-Bo, and twenty-nine teams gunning for him. As Montreal is in deep trouble ATM, it can't afford a "maybe" that won't show up for sure until march. Better a weaker but sure trade than a bigger but costly one.

Meanwhile, Montreal has sent Sergei Kostitsyn back to party-less Ontario and Hamilton, and away from having a bad influence on Chris Higgins and Carey Price, and put Kovy off the ice for two games.

A lot of people suspect a bigger trade in the making, probably involving someone like Markov.

Ohlund may supposedly be available from the Canucks. He is not exactly an offensive gem, but he can move the puck up the ice effectively.

Pronger and Niegermaier may be in the table if the Ducks are out of the playoffs. They need to rebuild and they could get a lot for those two.

But we will see. I am sad that Kostitsyn is sent down, I think he is a good player and should be playing in Montreal.

He's good, but he's been playing like his place in the NHL was owed to him this season, and he didn't have to work for it (a little like Lapierre early last year). Hopefully he will understand the lesson and take it to heart. (Also he's been going on big binges with Higgins and Price, including on nights before games).

Pronger and Niedermayer are on the table IF and WHEN the Ducks are out. Montreal needed stuff now. Ohlund, I dunno. Possibly Vancouver was not interested in what Montreal could offer.

And I think puck-moving wasn't so much what Montreal really craved as a decent slap shot for the power play.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH, I've lost Vanek from my fantasy team... get better dude!

Well, no confirmed information yet...

But most every media talkign head in Montreal is letting it slip (in a "in your face" sort of way) that the newspapers of tomorrow morning (likely La Presse) will be breaking something devastating about the Habs.

Likely not the Sports section, likely the Crime one.

Reported involving multiple players and members of the organization. Reportedly up and coming players, signed for one or more seasons to come.

Lines like "the columns of the temple will tremble" and "Worst day in Habs history" have been heard.

I haven't heard anything but I guess I will keep an eye out tomorrow morning. Too bad though, I like the Habs.

Well, no confirmed information yet...

But most every media talkign head in Montreal is letting it slip (in a "in your face" sort of way) that the newspapers of tomorrow morning (likely La Presse) will be breaking something devastating about the Habs.

Likely not the Sports section, likely the Crime one.

Reported involving multiple players and members of the organization. Reportedly up and coming players, signed for one or more seasons to come.

Lines like "the columns of the temple will tremble" and "Worst day in Habs history" have been heard.

oy. despite liking the former nordiques and the leafs, I still have a ton of respect for the habs and don't look forwards to this.

Rumors are flying all over the place now. On what actually happened, and on what's going to happen now.

EDIT: Medias now have it that very personal information from the Tits and Hammer were linked (phone conversations, personal information seized) with a crime boss arrested earlier this week. They have not been arrested.

If that's all it is, then someone blew things out of proportion somewhere along the way. Big time.

EDIT II : That did get blown way out of proportion. In the end, even the newspaper that's breaking the story has (among its commentary on the issue), "They acted stupidly, but nothing worse."

For some odd reason, the sports network that first started spawnign the tale of a bombshell, a "darkest day", etc, has deactivated the usual "comment on this story" feature on this particular story...

Pasquale Magnolia? ...

Do I have to do everything myself in this thread? :p

Anyway, Swap Day is upon us again, and so far the trades have been:

To Columbus
(F) Antoine Vermette
To Ottawa
(G) Pascale Leclaire
R2 Pick 2009

----

To Pittsburgh
(D) Andy Wozniewski

To Saint-Louis
(D) Dany Richmond

----

To Calgary
(D) Jordan Leopold

To Colorado
(D) Lawrence Nycholat
(D) Ryan Wilson
R2 Pick 2009 (Montreal)

----

To Buffalo
(G) Mikael Tellqvist

To Phoenix
R4 Pick 2009

----

To Boston
(D) Steve Montador

To Anaheim
(F) Petteri Nokelainen

----

To Calgary
(F) Olli Jokinen
R3 Pick 2009

To Phoenix
(F) Mathew Lombardi
(F) Brandon Prust
R1 Pick 2009 or 2010

----

To Boston
(F) Mark Recchi
R2 Pick 2010

To Tampa
(D) Matt Lashoff
(F) Martin Karsums

----

To Pittsburgh
(F) Bill Guerin

To New York (I)
Conditional Draft Pick

Olli! :yeah:

Any of those trades mean alot to one team or another? :scan:

Jokinen trade means a lot. Jokinen is under contract for next season, which means its quite likely Camalleri won't be back.

Very quiet deadline compared to last year. Besides the Flames adding Jokinen nothing much happened it seems like. Rangers added Antropov and Morris but had to give up too much for them I think, especially Morris. Rangers aren't going anywhere this season anyways.

Obviously Steve Moore's brother couldn't play for Brian Burke, as soon as he came I knew it was only a matter of time. But two 2nd-rounders is always good for Moore/Antropov, with potentially more, and 2 new goalies is quite necessary thanks to toskala being out. anyways, I still despise burke, but I do approve of his actions.

Black Hawks get Samuel Pahlsson for Steve Wisniewski. I really liked the Wizzer but we needed a center so Sharp and Versteeg can move back to the wing.

Top Bottom