NiGHTS: General Discussion

Edit: I've uploaded v2 to Steam that fixes this upgrade bug and a few other minor text bugs. Make sure to delete old versions of the mod and clear your cache and ModUserData folders before starting a new game!
Hi Markus, Great new :king::king::king:
BUT steam workshop is down :(.

Can you give a alternate download link, pls ?

EDIT : It's a "locale" bug for steam in "french". For fix that : using "english" in Steam.
(Il y a un bug avec la version française de steam qui empeche de s'abonner : pour que cela marche, il faut passer steam en langue anglaise).

I'll upload a version to Civfanatics on Friday when I release the third minor update to the version on Steam which will include a few more minor fixes for bugs (ie - things I forgot to update). :crazyeye:

Carthage does not receive the harbor in every city as I believe they should. Bug or feature?

They actually receive a free Lighthouse - as I found Harbors come too late in the Nights tech tree to warrant them being a free starting building - so not a bug. :)

Please name policies - st least to talk about... :)

That is a good point... Other people's thoughts on this? Are policy names important? Does anyone actually remember them or take them into account when making their choices?

As they currently stand, I see them more as tech augmentations / upgrades - but it's an easy tool-tip step to give them names. (Another reason why I didn't give them names is that I wanted people to associate them with their unlocking techs, and I thought giving them an additional name kind of displaced this connection I wanted to establish by giving them tech icons).

Never noticed the policy names myself, as long as there are tooltips telling me how to get them, I don't care.

One thing I'd like to open for discussion; is that there are so few policy options in the early game you seem to get one tracked. Meaning there is almost always one "best" policy to take. It wasn't until close to the mid game that I had serious decisions to make. I"ve only played a few games so far, just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Also, for some reason, I usually get 2 cultural revolutions in the beginning of the game before I have any government options, other then despotism. Just seems odd.

Few things:

Thanks a zillion for making the G&K NiGHTS. Love this mod.

I don't care about policy names, but I think some of the tech requirements are pretty restrictive. If I'm building an early wonder, I have to beeline Feudalism to not get stuck with Despotism revolution, meaning I have to open the Order policy. Going culture heavy early game really can limit what policies are available, other than openers, and makes my starts pretty static.

I noticed my happiness buildings weren't helping....and then realized after an obilisk and the town center +12 happiness [plus who know what else] I would need TALL cities before the colosseum or circus happiness bonuses would take effect. Considering the placement of the double the happiness for the colosseum in the policy tree, this doesn't seem to be working as intended, and I can't remember if this was the case in Vanilla NiGHTs.

I really like having the shrine pushed back to Theocracy. Faith/religion unfold more dynamically.

That is a good point... Other people's thoughts on this? Are policy names important? Does anyone actually remember them or take them into account when making their choices?

As they currently stand, I see them more as tech augmentations / upgrades - but it's an easy tool-tip step to give them names. (Another reason why I didn't give them names is that I wanted people to associate them with their unlocking techs, and I thought giving them an additional name kind of displaced this connection I wanted to establish by giving them tech icons).

I really hadn't noticed that the policies don't have names but if they are named:
1. Easier to talk about
2. For imersion I think of them as government policies and/or socital trends/cultural mores.
3. If you don't name them then it seems to me that the idea of trees, honor, piety, commerce, etc. looses its effect.

Looking more closely:lol: I see that the policy tree icons indicate the tech that needs to be researched to open that policy (I was using tool tips.) Without names for the policies you cannot (and do not) have the policies indicated in the tech tree. I realize this annoyed me in the beginning as I had to search back and forth in the policy and tech trees in order to establish the order of research. If the policies have names then you can indicate them in the tech tree and I think this then makes it more obvious.

I haven't been playing Nights for a while, so when i gave a try to Nights-GK update I saw marines and machine guns around. Is this normal or am I under the influence of another mod?
Btw I also agree naming policies would be easier for players.

That doesn't seem right. Did you follow the install directions, and what other mods are you using?

No other mods enabled. So you confirm that G-K techs Ballistic, combined arms, telecommunications and mobile tactics appear as they should in NIGHTS' tech tree?

That doesn't seem right. Did you follow the install directions, and what other mods are you using?

Again, I don't know if this is a core problem or a Nights.

I as Austria made an agreement with Arabia to war in 10 turns @ Mongolia.
Within 2 turns Mongolia war dec me. We war for @ 5 turns and settle peace. (note within the 10 turns of the war dec agreement with Arabia.)

Arabia then wants me to war dec Mongolia as per agreement. I did so and was surprised to see that the (I thought uncancellable) agreement with Mongolia was put aside and I was at war with Mongolia. If I didn't comply with the Arabian agreement I thought I would loose credit with them; was I wrong about that?

Is this the way it's supposed to be? :confused:

on my phone at school so I can't get to all these questions till I get home - but I do know there's currently a bug that's allowing citystates later in the game to gift some of the advanced units like marines that aren't yet in Nights - will be fixed for this weekends update.

I guess I see your point with harbors, but Lighthouse is pretty close to useless. The strength of Carthage was their ability to build a trade network across water, without roads. By making them wait until the middle ages for the trade and science benefits of harbors, I think they are nerfed.

Again, I don't know if this is a core problem or a Nights.

I as Austria made an agreement with Arabia to war in 10 turns @ Mongolia.
Within 2 turns Mongolia war dec me. We war for @ 5 turns and settle peace. (note within the 10 turns of the war dec agreement with Arabia.)

Arabia then wants me to war dec Mongolia as per agreement. I did so and was surprised to see that the (I thought uncancellable) agreement with Mongolia was put aside and I was at war with Mongolia. If I didn't comply with the Arabian agreement I thought I would loose credit with them; was I wrong about that?

Is this the way it's supposed to be? :confused:

These sorts of things represent the inner workings of the C++ code we still don't have access to. In regards to diplomacy I can tweak various thresholds as to when AI actions are triggered and how much weight is put on various actions, but I can't change any of the code that deals with the underlaying mechanics dealing with agreements unfortunately...

I guess I see your point with harbors, but Lighthouse is pretty close to useless. The strength of Carthage was their ability to build a trade network across water, without roads. By making them wait until the middle ages for the trade and science benefits of harbors, I think they are nerfed.

Hmm - while harbors are good for commerce, I think Lighthouses might be more powerful in that they facilitate food and growth, which is the most important resource in Nights due to the happiness mechanics. A larger population will naturally see a higher influx of gold, especially if combined early with Docks, Moai Statues, and the commerce policy that boosts coastal city production - although I suppose I could potentially move Harbors closer to the beginning of the tech tree...

Do Great artists only start golden ages now? I'd like to see them either be able to found a cultural wonder, or return some of the culture bomb ability, except that they would need to be standing IN your territory, not next to it to start it. I also really like what you've done with the great generals, it adds a lot more sense to territory expansions with a balance, and IMO makes the citadel far more useful than it used to be.

Regarding policies, I'd like to see them become intimately tied with a LOT of the bonuses you get, as I see them as defining the traits of a nation. Perhaps it was an early version of NIGHTS, or another mod, but one had each policy tree as a government type, and you could select different policies from different branches to 'compose' your government. I may have a war policy based on monarchy, but enfranchisement based on democracy. Or something like that, something closer to how Beyond the Sword, or perhaps that was just Rise of Mankind, handled policies. It went a long way in immersing me in my country rather than now where beyond picking my starting bonus as a nation I don't feel particularly connected to them.

Perhaps religious buildings could be added, or cultural ones so that, if you're France, Spain, or Rome, you've got Latin influence and so can build a select few that keep you involved in the notion of Western Europe. Perhaps religious buildings that promote a few notable traits about each religion.

I would suggest upping the bonus by the academy a bit, or else recheck the code for the bonus of them being next to each other, right now I only get 3 beakers, when I can get 2 beakers and 2 hammers from a manufactury buildable in the same spot.

TL DR,

Thanks for a G&K version. :goodjob:

I#m playing my second game of the new mod.

All along I made notes of things which doesn't seemed right... here it goes:

1. Monasteries do not have any building requirements (opposed to the tag)
2. Musketeers and Grenadiers use the same icon, confusing the preindustrial battlefield
3. Great Artists have no special abilities at all (culture bomb...)
(in general Great People other than engineer and general seem quiet useless and overpriced)
4. boarder expansion seems flawed: my capitol is rather expanding out of the 3tiles radius than securing the last ocean tiles
(I noticed that the game is very reluctant to expand into the sea (even with recourses) in general

5. rather a wish of my parts: is there a way stopping mili. city states from doling out units to non-allies ? would be very logical :p
6. an other suggestion: since city-defense and hit-points can be significantly increased even in the early game (far 'outsizing' any unit of its time... I'm talking of large cities)... cities can only be captured with a large artillery-presence, chopping down city-hit-points to the absolute minimum followed by a lone ground-unit-attack. Any use of any force other than artillery would inevitably result in the destruction of a unit in the first attack. Since this seems unintended I would suggest the reduction of city-strength corresponding to its hitpoints. maybe down do 1/3 or 1/4.
7. At last a general thing: I think you should revise your approach to production points and the making of those. Buildings get very costly very fast. While there are many buildings to increase the production of a city there is almost no way around building them as soon as possible. Cities which are founded later in the game struggle the whole time catching up (and never getting there) attributing almost nothing to the nations wealth, culture etc..
Especially Cities with no real production sources are quiet useless.
Maybe you should keep essential building cheaper while adding production points to building which are really making the differences (national)- wonders, military- buildings

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the point above.

PS: Just three buildings from the top of my head which almost lost there original purpose to accommodate the production problem:

Armory: almost no military use on tis own, but a bit overpriced for a production booster in my mind
Stone-Works: overpriced by far. While adding a good amount of production point a city has to build it to get in the circle of cities which are the backbone of the nation.
Stadium: + 15% production... really?

Top Bottom