NiGHTS: General Discussion

I had to change the unhappiness for each additional city from 30 down to 5. Building a second city was killing me in the ancient time period.

Glad to see you're well Markus, was starting to wonder what happened to you. I'm looking forward to your masterful touch on G&K.

:) Full-time school along with full-time work happened, which was really eating up my time. Then Diablo 3 came out and that didn't help. Inferno Act 2/3 for anyone that knows what I'm talking about...:crazyeye:

The problem was much simpler, really stupid to even get that wrong. The issue was that I started a "normal" new campaign and not the modded one.

The mod is running now, but I noticed another issue. There are quite a few descrpitions of Technologies, Units or Buildings that are messed up and have the wrong info texts. Feudalism doesn't even have one for me, instead there's just "TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FEUDALISMB_STRATEGY".

Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Have you updated the game for the latest patch? Also, make sure you don't have multiple versions of the mod installed and then clear your CIV V cache and moduserdata folders - that should fix any text bugs (assuming you're playing the english version of the game).

Great to hear, Markus, thank you for all your hard work on this amazing mod!

It's enhanced my enjoyment of the singleplayer campaigns so much that I'm actually waiting to buy Gods and Kings until after NiGHTS is updated.

Thanks. :) I'm looking forward to seeing how G+K plays out and then modding the hell out of it as it'll probably be horribly balanced out of the box/steam with Nights. :lol:

Don't know if you remember Cormorant the eternal beginner who at 88 has played every Civ game from the first and love them in retirement? My request for Civ6 is to attend to the Difficulty levels more closely. I may not be representative as an average player because I'm always baffled about how all you younger people get on top of this so complex game. But for me, when I now play Civ5, as with all past versions, I have a choice. Either to play Prince level and face total defeat for 90% of every game (which can get depressing) or play Warlord and win 80% of the time and that too doesn't bring full satisfaction. So could the programmers attend to this problem and next time take these Difficulty levels up more gradually by setting the AI to respond at more sensible levels? This would be much better for marketing in my view! I think they listen too much to all you younger experts and miss the main stream of Average Joes like me? Do you agree?

Wow - I hope to still be around and playing CIV at that age. :) As for Nights, I've tried to scale the difficulty, but according to your play-style, that might mean it's harder or easier than vanilla CIV V.

The AI expands quicker early on, but they declare war less often. They don't get as annoyed due to close borders, but they get more annoyed if you're going for the same city-states. A huge leg up human players have is that the AI pretty much randomly chooses their policies, so on higher difficulties, this is really where you can catch up by going for that free worker or settler or gold that you really need at the moment to keep pace / pull ahead.

Is there a 2012 version being released?

I plan on releasing an updated version for G+K, but this won't be coming out immediately upon G+K's release. Worst case scenario I'm thinking sometime in mid-late august when my exams are over, but hopefully sooner.

Cormorant I am 75 and have played Civ since it first came. The mods are enjoyable, but as you point out as warlod I win most of the time else i Loose But the play is still enjoyable. Jebst

I didn't know people's ages run the gamut so much as far as CIV goes. For example, Sukritact created all of the new icons for the custom unique buildings, and I was blown away when I found out he was pretty much over 10+ years younger than me, (I'm 29).

I had to change the unhappiness for each additional city from 30 down to 5. Building a second city was killing me in the ancient time period.

Well each additional city is actually only +20 Unhappiness. ;) Once you play the mod more, you'll find certain strategies that make the transition back to 20 from 5 easier to digest (like certain policies, early happiness buildings, and early barb military units that don't consume happiness). The AI's also far more agreeable regarding trades compared to vanilla, especially in the early game as they expand more / war less.

Yep, saw that. Interesting how they're just scrapping the current browser after heralding it as the latest/greatest most moddable civ yet... Regardless, Nights probably won't work out of the box with the new expansion as it shares/changes countless core files that Firaxis will have no doubt messed around with, so I don't see the mod going onto the new Browser right off the bat. Pretty much only very simple/basic mods will work with G+K when it's first released, and I think that the casual modder was/is who the 2K post is aimed.

At the very least, the latest version of Nights will always be uploaded right away to Civfanatics. :)

I forgot to turn off auto update on steam and my game was updated today. I'm in the middle of a marathon campaign and not sure how to restore the previous version so my save games will work (nation specific buildings are missing).

I reinstalled the mod, and followed all the instructions, is the mod no longer compatible with the new version?

I forgot to turn off auto update on steam and my game was updated today. I'm in the middle of a marathon campaign and not sure how to restore the previous version so my save games will work (nation specific buildings are missing).

I reinstalled the mod, and followed all the instructions, is the mod no longer compatible with the new version?

I'm at school right now and haven't been able to try out the new patch so I couldn't verify what's broken for certain. If clearing your game cache folder and your moduserdata folder doesn't solve things, then I'll have some work to do when I get home. :crazyeye:

Anyone else having issues when trying to start new games wth the patch?

Hey - same problem. I was halfway through a great game (was winning on emperor difficulty the first time ever) when suddenly this update happened and dew things seem to work - the grenadiers now look like spearmen, for example, and I can't choose what to build in a city anymore - in effect I'm stuck...

I'm at school right now and haven't been able to try out the new patch so I couldn't verify what's broken for certain. If clearing your game cache folder and your moduserdata folder doesn't solve things, then I'll have some work to do when I get home. :crazyeye:

Anyone else having issues when trying to start new games wth the patch?
The update definitely broke my savegame. :( I tried deleting the cache and moduserdata.

Thanks for the feedback on the patch everyone - I'm working on the fixes. Possibility that I get a working version out tonight, but most likely it'll end up being this weekend. At that point I'll try and get Nights up on the Steam Workshop.

Saved games are munged. Deleted my cache folder and moduserdata, re-enabled NiGHTS, started a new game...and I was playing vanilla. Restoring the cache and data didn't help. Am I simply not understanding the new startup interface, or is NiGHTS failing to load entirely?

Looks like I'm going to refamiliarize myself with vanilla tonight. Hope you can get us back in the game this weekend, Markus.

Saved games are munged. Deleted my cache folder and moduserdata, re-enabled NiGHTS, started a new game...and I was playing vanilla. Restoring the cache and data didn't help. Am I simply not understanding the new startup interface, or is NiGHTS failing to load entirely?

Looks like I'm going to refamiliarize myself with vanilla tonight. Hope you can get us back in the game this weekend, Markus.

Yep - there's enough UI and general gameplay changes (mainly text changes), that're causing loads of bugs to crop up. Not hard fixes that I've come across just yet, just tedious copy/paste -> test -> repeat. :crazyeye:

v11.9 re-released to http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650

There's a few aesthetic fixes I still need to make, but I thought I'd get this updated version released ASAP. The mod's fully playable, but I'm pretty busy with papers and exams for the next few weeks, so don't feel like you have to hold back for a more polished v12 as I can't say exactly when it'll be released - although it'll most likely be a post G+K update, as the mod itself will also need work once that releases. I'm pretty much in classes all day and won't be able to respond to any posts till around after 7pm PST mon-fri, but feel free to post any/all additional bugs that you come across.

Patch bug compatibility fixes in this re-release:
  • Custom trait descriptions appear correctly.
  • Custom Unique Buildings appear correctly in-game and when choosing Civ's.
  • Governments are giving their bonuses again.
  • Tech and policy tree pipes fixed.
  • AI trade windows functioning normally again.

Current known bug(s):
  • The Close button isn't click-able at the moment on the technologies screen so it's been temporarily removed until I fix it's lua file (firaxis really did a number on the techtree.lua, and when I tried importing their changes, pipes were being cut off every which way, so this fix might take awhile). In the meantime, you can still just hit ESC to get out of the tech tree screen, so this shouldn't be a huge issue.
  • For some reason (') apostrophe's are showing up in text as (") quotes... Not sure why exactly, but Firaxis did say they included a lot of text work in this patch. Has this been showing up in vanilla?

I've also gotten in touch with the people running the Steam Workshop, so hopefully Nights will be posted there in the near future.

IMPORTANT: DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!
Note that the following locations could differ depending on where you've installed CIV V.
  1. Download and copy file into C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
  2. Delete your cache folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
  3. Delete the contents of the ModUserData folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
  4. Verify your cache and defrag your CIV V files through Steam (right click, properties, local files, verify integrity.
  5. Make sure your game is up to date with patch 1.0.1.674!

Members of Civforum.de mentioned, that the courthouse bug is fixed! If this is true, it would be a very welcome improvement!

Which would be very important for your mod. I guess some rebalancing must be done.

Which would be very important for your mod. I guess some rebalancing must be done.

I actually prefer it this way, as happiness was always generally easy to maintain in the later eras due to the courthouse bug. Things are pretty much working as intended now, and the end result is a more challenging end game, especially for warmongers, (and that's a good thing considering that warring the AI is generally the easiest path to victory).

The more egregious balance changes will come after G+K's is released, as all of the religion bonuses will have to be tweaked to fit in line with the scale of economies in Nights.

If one saves the game and then reloads from within the mod, all of the information on the status bar displays zeros and labels (e.g. "Turn 000 000,000 GOLD! HAPPINESS!" etc). Exiting to the main menu and loading the save from there fixes it up.

My difficulty loading NiGHTS last night was because I didn't get the memo on the new startup procedure -- one must click Mods, then Next, then the Single Player link on the ensuing screen rather than backing up to Single Player on the main menu, as previously.

Glad to have my NiGHTS back so quickly -- thanks Markus. The reload bug described above is just a nuisance.

The latest version of Nights (11.9) is now on the Steam Workshop for anyone that prefers to get the mod from there. It's compatible with the latest patch, (barring the exclusion of the CLOSE key on the tech tree screen - so you'll have to escape out of this for now).

V12 will be released after G+K comes out, as both a standalone version for vanilla CIV V, and as a companion for the expansion. This'll take quite a bit of re-balancing and probably won't be released until later in the summer. :)

Well, scrapping the mod browers was a stupid idea. I really don't like the workshop.
Can't get any mods to work anymore.
I tried to download this and put it in my mods folder, didn't work.
Subscribe via workshop, didn't work.

Any one know how to get it to work?

The latest version of Nights (11.9) is now on the Steam Workshop for anyone that prefers to get the mod from there. It's compatible with the latest patch, (barring the exclusion of the CLOSE key on the tech tree screen - so you'll have to escape out of this for now).

V12 will be released after G+K comes out, as both a standalone version for vanilla CIV V, and as a companion for the expansion. This'll take quite a bit of re-balancing and probably won't be released until later in the summer. :)

Great to hear, Markus - I was hesitant to try launching the game following the recent Steam update.

Top Bottom