1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nitpicky Things You'd Like Fixed

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by elder abuser, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Need a "Random Civ" option in game setup that tells you what civ you rolled BEFORE loading the map and game. That way I can stop rolling the same civ twice in a row then a civ I rolled 2 games ago, and keep restarting the game, losing all these shiny precious starting locations, until I get that civ that I actually want to roll with, but of course this time I'm on a no-river, flat plains start with only 1 luxury resource, on an isthmus stuck between Catherine and Ramkhamhaeng.

(Edit: InfoAddict questions. 1) can you still get achievements with it? 2) are infoaddcit saves compatible with saves from players that don't use it? 3) are your old hall of fame games still visible when using infoaddict and do the infoaddict victories mingle with the vanilla victories?)

2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, I think you've already tumbled to the point. You just dismissed it. Yes, it's possible to get a pantheon before you know what all your options are.

3. Green_Power

Green_Power Chieftain

1. Give me back Civ4's ability to destroy resource improvements with planted spies. There could be an option on espionage for: "sabotage strategic resources".

2. Give me back Civ4's option to choose number of continents when generating Continents maps (should be easy, no?).

3. Give me a reason to build Swordsman, when Pikeman are around the corner and don't require a strategic resource.

4. Please make the AI sneak attack more by sea.

4. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Nothing in those map scripts is easy.

5. Green_Power

Green_Power Chieftain

Even if they are not I think it's important to choose the number of continents. They could always check Civ4's code ;) I know, but I still think it's important.

6. Tsar NicholasII

Tsar NicholasII Prince

The Religious units are loyal to whatever is the major religion in the city that you purchased them from. So if you bought an inquisitor in your now Christian holy city, it will be a Christian Inquisitor

7. Calouste

Calouste Deity

It's pretty rare. You have to find either two Religious City States or a Faith Goody Hut, and I'm not even sure if you can get those before the first Pantheon has been founded on higher levels.

In most cases the choice for things like God of the Sea, Goddess of the Hunt, Goddess of Festivals, Stone Circles, Desert Folklore is extremely obvious. And even if they are not, Fertility Rites, Oral Tradition or God of the Open Sky are pretty safe bets depending on your situation.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Oh, I agree it's rare. That's why it's on a list of "nitpicky" things, not super-annoying, constant-hassle things.

It would actually help the Celts out a good bit, because the early faith actually does frequently work against them when it comes to pantheons.

9. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

When a friendly civ demands a resource allow us to ask for money in return.

10. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Just say no, and then try to sell it to them.

11. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

The AI, for some reason that simply doens't make sense, can't seem to understand the concept of making a proper trade offer (despite being able to respond to offers initiated by the player). Instead, they ask for a gift, then when the one-sided trade expires, they will try to renew it, and that's the opportunity to negotiate.

The positive diplomacy mod for granting such requests is usually worth more than 240 gold anyway.

12. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

A big pet peeve of mine is that when you are starting a game and looking over the list of civs to choose one, there is no way to see what each UU and UB does. Can't a brother get a tool tip up in here?

13. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Now that's a good one. :agree:

14. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I'll start by saying I am in complete agreement with those suggesting better access to existing information when the game presents me with decisions to make, such as access to diplomacy information when an offer of friendship is made.

Anyway, on to my wishlist...it's funny, when Civ5 came out a lot of people took issue with the gameplay features that were 'missing' compared to Civ4 and even today years later game mechanics like stacking and health are still frequently requested. However, what I really missed from Civ4, and still do, are the little things I could do in the interface that were dropped for Civ5. I would love to see some of those UI features brought back, as well as a few other UI/management improvements.
    Things like:
    • Click on a unit to see where it is going.
      This is particularly frustrating because I may send a unit half way across the map on a 10 turn trip but after 2 turns its destination hex is occupied and it aborts the trip. Invariably it comes up for movement and I pick a different destination then 8 turns later I wonder why my unit isn't where I sent it.
    • Set waypoints
      I know roughly the path my unit should take because I know where I am sending my other units...let me help the pathing algorithm out and give it some places I want the trip to pass through.
    • Settlement planning
      A way to plan out the locations for my future cities and place signposts at the chosen spots. Before release I was sure strategic mode was going to let me do this...what a disappointment that was.
    • Better city build queues
      For example, let me specify if I want a city to continuously produce a particular unit, or add to the queue buildings that are not available yet, e.g. I know I will want to start building a library when my monument is done even if I haven't finished researching writing yet.
      Also, let me add to the queue commands to switch focus, so once I am done building this market I want to switch from production focus to gold focus, before starting construction of the next unit/building.
    • City planning
      Let me specify how I want the land around my city improved, which tiles should be farms, which should be mines and which should be trading posts as well as the order in which I want the built, then let me assign an automated worker to that city to improve the tiles according to my plan.
    • Execute movement plans
      Give me a way to tell all my units with orders to go ahead and move before the end of the turn (Ctrl-a in Civ4) so I can then manually move my other units afterwards. This would for me significantly reduce the issues of units getting in each others way as my manual moves could be smarter.

There are more I'm sure, but I think that list is long enough for now. :)
    These are all things that, for me, would make the game more pleasant to play, by reducing activities that are chores such as remembering where units are supposed to be going, or remembering to switch a cities production/focus. Many of these were in Civ4 and I miss those way more than any of the specific mechanics from that game.

15. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

They really need to just copy and paste Infoaddict into the basic UI.

16. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Whenever you meet a city state, I'd like to have immediate access to the city state menu to Pledge to Protect or give a gift, rather than have to go out and find the city back.

17. JtW

JtW Prince

Amen to all of the above.

My personal pet peeve, already mentioned by someone, is the AI popping up with demands/info in the middle of its turn. When I am playing on a bigger map and the computer turn takes a minute or two, I want to be able to go do something else until it's my turn again... Not come back after five minutes only to discover a diplo screen and that I have to wait for 5 more AIs to move...

18. Moroten

Moroten Chieftain

How about the problem with submarines...at the moment they are useless.

1. Take any ship and move around with your mousecursor with the move action toggled.
    2. Look through all the hexes untill your cursor turns red, that hex is occupied by something you can't see, ergo a submarine.
    3. Profit.

Not that I want to do this but you often do it by mistake when I play vs one of my friends. I love submarines but they turn useless.

19. MARDUK80

MARDUK80 Prince

+1 supported. Something that has bothered me since the beginning.

20. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I agree with your entire list, but this one particularly jumped out at me because the other day as Carthage my Great Prophet almost killed himself because the silly chap tried to march over a 3-tile-wide mountain range! :crazyeye: