No casus belli for civ declaring war on city state for which I am suzerain?

PeeDub

Warlord
I'm suzerain for Stockholm. Germany declares war against Stockholm. Not only does Stockholm not request I enter war (or give a request or whatever). Not only do I denounce and then formally declare against Germany. Not only did Germany declare war on me earlier and I won and didn't retaliate. Not only did Gandhi and Teddy both denounce Germany along with me. But now *I'm* the warmonger?? This seems broken.

I had the same. I would denounce if I could, but there was no way to do that. Protectorate causus belli seems to have no effect, that option simply never appears in the game. I had no way protect that city state unless I declare war to the aggressor (and getting the "warmonger" penalty). And when I liberated that city I noticed that I had only 3 envoys, even I remember that I've sent at least 12 or 13.

I had the same. I would denounce if I could, but there was no way to do that. Protectorate causus belli seems to have no effect, that option simply never appears in the game. I had no way protect that city state unless I declare war to the aggressor (and getting the "warmonger" penalty).
I have been able to use the protectorate causus belli, but only after denouncing and waiting several turns for it to appear. Not sure exactly how many, since I forgot to count them....

Bad design there. The vassal should invoke protective action on its own accord. And when under attack, one does not wait several years to do so. It's part of the vassal-suzerain relation by definition. So there should be an immediate vassal alert upon any attack by another civilization. And this should be an immediate casus belli.

I have been able to use the protectorate causus belli, but only after denouncing and waiting several turns for it to appear. Not sure exactly how many, since I forgot to count them....

[1.0.0.194]

I have just had this issue where Indonesia has invaded Auckland (something I might normally celebrate ;) ) and neither during nor after have I received the Protectorate CB.

Indonesia during the war:

Spoiler :

20171105150655_1.jpg

Spoiler :

20171105150732_1.jpg

Spoiler :

20171105151735_1.jpg

And after their successful conquest:

Spoiler :

20171105151808_1.jpg

Which is crazy to me. I'll denounce her and see how that plays out - but to me, this CB should kick in as soon as they declare war on my CS.

Hmm, this probably isn't it, but you do need diplomatic service to enable the protectorate war.

Also Gandhi's anti-war agenda is kinda ridiculous. He will complain to you when you declare war regardless, even if you joint war with him....

IMO, protectorate war should not require a denoucement (this already makes it too long-- CS could be dead by then) and needs to be available much earlier. In OP's situation this is usually where I drop the facade and beat the crap out of all of them. Can't complain if you're dead!

Hmm, this probably isn't it, but you do need diplomatic service to enable the protectorate war.

You didn't see what I was researching in the 2nd & 3rd pics did you! :p

You need to denounce Indonesia first, the next turn (not 5 turns, I think they changed the duration in this patch) you will get the casus belli button.
Even though it's a casus belli, denouncing a civ may break peaceful games, "You denounced their declared friend", "you attacked their ally", Gandhi and Teddy's agendas ...etc will ruin your relationship.
Furthermore, unless you liberate a CS captured by other civ, John Curtin's agenda will not be triggered even with a casus belli war :nono:...
The most annoying thing is when a declared friend/ally suddenly attacks your suzerain CS :confused:

For the case of friend/ally attacking your CS or when they've already been conquered before you can declare Protectorate War, the Liberation CB should work for City-States too, I think. I mean, if the CS was your vassal when it was captured, you should be able to do the liberation war (for which you still need to denounce the foe first, unfortunately, iirc).

You didn't see what I was researching in the 2nd & 3rd pics did you! :p

Referring to OP's example. In your case, you needed to denounce first.

I have now. And the CB button is available, though it still isn't letting me click on Protectorate or any other. I will have to give it the five turns and see if it turns up.

I just think that CB should be available immediately. I mean what a useless Suzerain I am!
Or if not that CB, then you should be able to give them an ultimatum.

Last edited:
I mean if the game is to be consistent.... I'm always gaining CB's that I have little interest in. Yet the game notifies me with the combo of a denouncement from the affected Civ and then a popup at the beginning of my turn telling me that I now have CB 'X' in relation to them. Why does this much more specific and obvious CB (protectorate war) not kick in the same way?? :dubious:

I mean if the game is to be consistent....
Hey, come on! I'm sure, You have enough fantasy to overcome such a tiny inconsistency ... You have it done before! Don't give up, I belief in you!

Hey, come on! I'm sure, You have enough fantasy to overcome such a tiny inconsistency ... You have it done before! Don't give up, I belief in you!

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not tiny...

And I never got the CB. So it seems you have to denounce the very turn they attack your CS as well? I mean I can do that...but again - you should get it immediately.
It's a much bigger deal than me gaining all those other more subjective CBs that the game gives you automatically.

Top Bottom