No resources.

Koszmar

Chieftain
If there are no resources (iron, copper etc.) on the map, what is the best military unit you can train?

Stuck with warrior forever?

Of course not.

You can build any resourceless unit, which includes archers, longbows, catapults, muskets, rifles, artillery, airships, some UUs and others I didn't mention.
While attacking without resources will be very difficult early on, longbows+cats can manage, and if not beelining to rifles should be more than enough to capture any resources you need to win the game.

If you have horses, you have Horse Archers. Build enough of them and I guarantee you'll be rolling in resources fast enough. Just don't start by taking on any Protective leaders.

You can also build Siege as they are resourceless.

If you are really stuck without any military resources (including horses), then I would suggest being peaceful and accommodating until you tech far enough to trade, then trade for military resources. At that point you will need to build an overwhelming force at speed in case the trade is cancelled. Slavery is your friend at this point. And then your overwhelming force needs to kick serious butt in the direction of the resources you require.

Prior to trading Archers are about your only option.

I've happily never needed to try it but presumably with enough siege and archers you could fight an offensive war. Spies would also seriously help in this situation.

Warriors
Warriors with Combat1 - if an Aggressive leader
Quechas - if Inca

Archers
Archers with guerilla1 &2 - Defend hills mines well
Archers with City Garrison1 &2 defend Cities well
Archers with Combat1 &Shock on forest tiles can defeat axemen
Archers with City Defense1 and Drill1 - if a PRO leader
Skirmishers - if Mali
Bowman - if Babylonia

Holkan - if Maya
Dog Soldier - if Native America
Jaguars - if Aztec
Camel Archer - if Arabia

Catapults - the great equalizer
Hwacha - if Korea

Longbowman - same promotions as archer above

Trebuchet - when attacking cities

Musketmen - especially when Tokugawa, but AGG and PRO leaders are better too
Janissaries - if Ottoman
Oromo Warrior, if Ethiopia
Musketeers, if France
many later units don't require a resource.

All of a Charismatic leaders's units promote faster.
Build the Great Wall for 100% Great Generals. Settle it and give yourself more experienced units. Especially, if you are Imperialistic and easiest with Augustus Caesar.

You can also trade for a resourse, or capture cities with a huge army of any of the above units and take a resourse.

If Portugal, you can build a settler & archer and settle on a better location and rebuild your palace there.

If there are no resources (iron, copper etc.) on the map, what is the best military unit you can train?

Not the worst thing that could happen considering the only thing a city needs to protect it is a warrior.Think of it this way get archers or XBows,but keep a few warriors around to guard your core cities and have your elite out on the attack.Your citizens don't care if its a guy with a club or a swordsman protecting them as long as someone is there.

Just make sure the enemy can't reach your warrior cities.You could technically do this until you tech gunpowder if you haven't conquered Iron by then.

What's the ole joke. Conquer and take it. If they don't have it, unless they've traded for it, they're in the same boat as you.

I always find it cute when the Romans ask me for IRON. "I don't think so"

Those are good maps to sit back and have fun building until you get to gunpowder. You should always have enough room for five or six cities which is all you need for a core. If other civs aren't close by you don't necessarily need to conquer. If other civs are close by, it means you wont have to worry about barbs nearly as much.

Yeah, there was once when I forgot that little detail and rushed to steel and it took me a sec to realize why I couldn't upgrade my trebs. DOH

It's actually worth avoiding resources sometimes.
Frex if you are playing Aztecs, you can keep building Jaguars so long as you don't have Copper or Iron (preventing the Macemen upgrade). If you've only researched one of either rifling/military tradition, you can spend gold to upgrade the Jaguar to a rifleman/grenadier - keeping the free level of Woodsman.
The Maya want to avoid Copper to keep churning out Quechua, for the free Combat I.
Without Oil, you can build Privateers - then get the Oil (say by sailing them to a city with Standard Ethanol) and upgrade them to Destroyers: this gives them the Sentry promotion for free.
And so on, and so forth.

It's actually worth avoiding resources sometimes.
Frex if you are playing Aztecs, you can keep building Jaguars so long as you don't have Copper or Iron (preventing the Macemen upgrade). If you've only researched one of either rifling/military tradition, you can spend gold to upgrade the Jaguar to a rifleman/grenadier - keeping the free level of Woodsman.
The Maya want to avoid Copper to keep churning out Quechua, for the free Combat I.
Without Oil, you can build Privateers - then get the Oil (say by sailing them to a city with Standard Ethanol) and upgrade them to Destroyers: this gives them the Sentry promotion for free.
And so on, and so forth.

Is it really worth the upgrade gold to get free combat 1? My rule of thumb is that I never upgrade anything with less than 3 promotions. Seems like the amount of gold needed to upgrade units is fairly prohibitive until you get to the latter stages of the game.

If I have an archer with CG 1 for instance, I just delete it and build a LB with CG1 once I get feudalism.

I'm on the same page generally. Unless I'm planning a quick rush and waiting for the one tech (like steel) and have the money in waiting to upgrade a ton of trebs so I can start my attack sooner.
Otherwise, I like to use excess money to keep my slider up.

[shrugs] I find it worth while.
A weak unit is just as good for garrisoning, and I'd rather lure an opponent into my turf so as to get the extra GG points than attack: so whichever city is threatened gets its' units upgraded.

I value a cities' hammers more than the gold; probably because I'd rather play at easier difficulties and mass produce wonders than muck around with excessive combat at high difficulties. So I'm just kicking out cheap units in between doing what really interests me.

The upgrade costs are the same as speeding the build with gold, after all.

I'd rather lure an opponent into my turf so as to get the extra GG points than attack

I thought this was only if you have build the GW, which I rarely do. But as usual, I could be wrong. I learn quite a few things reading here and I've played the game since it came out.

You get a 100% bonus on GG in your culture, in your culture with the GW, and with Imp.

So, if you are fighting in your land, with the GW and being Imp, you get a 300% bonus (4 GG points per xp earned) This doesn't scale with the leadership promotion, btw (that gives twice as many XP as earned to the unit)

I thought this was only if you have build the GW, which I rarely do. But as usual, I could be wrong. I learn quite a few things reading here and I've played the game since it came out.
Or I could be wrong - I tend to play for a while, then take a break of a year or more, rinse/repeat: so I could well be misremembering. (Although I usually have GW so I'd use the strategy anyway).

What I can confirm, having checked recently, is that the Leadership promotion not only doubles xp, it also increases GG points - so a good use of a GG.

Top Bottom