Nobles' Club 242: Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire

@Snowbird

Since you finished. You can read the spoilers yourself, but the short version is, I learnt a lot reading your writeup
Spoiler :
In my game, the religious blocs turned out the same as in yours. I chose the other side and that was the lethal mistake. Made worse because Isabella peace-vassaled to Gilgamesh in my game, and Pacal basically capitulated after a sneeze.

Didn't realise that you could take cities, be weaker than the AI in power rating, and sue for peace by giving techs. I should try that some time.

You asked me why I didn't take on Sumeria. Now you know - - I couldn't.

Edit as response to @dankok8
Spoiler :
You also followed the strategy of Snowbird. Attack everyone else but leave Sumeria alone. Sumeria is just too strong. Can AIs declare at friendly? Or is it one turn of not-friendly during which someone bribed?

Last edited:
Turn 278 (1816 AD) Domination Victory:

Spoiler :

Pulled that trade to make Shaka attack Gilga then backstabbed him. It was a helluva move because if I didn't do it he would have snowballed into domination. He was getting very strong and also teched well which is a scary combo. Anyways I grinded him down and eventually got him to capitulate. In the meantime, Pacal got free from Gilga so I attacked him. Surprisingly enough, Qin who was Friendly with me all game declared on me probably because he hated Sully. Nevertheless I quickly capped Pacal and seeing that I'm close to the land limit deciding to just outright wipe Qin out. Once I got the troops over to that end, it was over quickly. With 4 cities, Qin didn't have the production to do much of anything.

@sylvanllewelyn

Spoiler :

Zulus were stronger than Sumeria in my game. I just didn't need to attack them as I already had enough land for Domination.

Qin was Friendly with me but only Annoyed with my vassal Sully so his average attitude is Pleased and thus he could declare one me. Pacal bribed him too.

Just finished on Emperor, T246 domination.

Spoiler :

Charlemagne is the worst leader but this is a very good map, 3 gold and decent food. I had to fight off Shaka but PRO makes that easy; with Stone I could 1-whip a wall and produce 2 more archers with the overflow.

After taking Shaka's nearest city I took out Izzy; Shaka vassaled her toward the end of the war so I took most of his cities then capped him.

A nervous moment when Gilgamesh was 45 votes from winning a diplo vote, but spreading Buddhism to my cities and capturing Buddhist cities solved that.

I took out Pacal; Gilgamesh, his master, bribed Sully, but after smashing Sully's stack I capped him and then Qin who had been his vassal!

Last edited:
Top Bottom