Not a fan of constant denouncements

Medopu

Warlord
Just to clarify, I don't have an issue with AI denouncing you and the penalties that it brings

My issue is that throughout the game AI constantly let's me know every couple of turns how they think i'm scum. I wish there was an "automatic denouncement extension" without triggering that stupid leader screen whose sole purpose is that i have to click exit.

There is nothing I can do to in that situation. I can't interact or fix anything, i just have to wait and then press escape, it's completely meaningless. The same thing could be done without having to trigger the useless leader screen. It get's tiresome after you get denounced by 4 or 5 civilizations constantly repeating everything they've said before into perpetuity.

What's the use in this at all, what was firaxis thinking?

that i have to click exit.
That would be quite tedious to me. I find it okay by using the ESC key whenever there is just one option to click.

Denouncing lasts 30 turns I think so it's hardly every couple of turns unless the majority of civs are angry with you. But the game does a good job telling you what's angering them, yes?

The irrational denouncements by the Ai is about the most realistic part of the game. All you have to do is look at current politics where a certain politician is denounced by the opposition for things that are clearly working very well. Denouncing is just part of the power struggle by making your opponent look worse than they are and the same can be said in game.

The reason always seems to be that you have caused grievances to some other civ. It would be more reasonable if sometimes they were happy about that, if the civ in question was one they didn't like.

The reason always seems to be that you have caused grievances to some other civ. It would be more reasonable if sometimes they were happy about that, if the civ in question was one they didn't like.

I have had my relationship improve many times with a third party because of war. I also think it's BS that I become the bad guy after taking a few cities from the Civ that tried to terminate me with a sneak attack.

I also think it's BS that I become the bad guy after taking a few cities from the Civ that tried to terminate me with a sneak attack.
1. Sneak attack indicates you know it’s ‘sneaky’
2. Taking 2 cities is the same as the war declaration so you have been tipped over the edge. If you had taken just the 2 cities when they attacked you, no one would blink an eye.

Napoleon had the perfect cure for denouncements - he simply beat them all. Repeatedly :D
I like to imagine that war weariness represents leaders who don't have civs anymore hopping up and down on a street corner, still trying to denounce me and getting more and more upset when nobody listens.

The chief that doesn't work properly with grievances is that other civs' relationship with the aggrieved seem to not be weighed that heavily. There should be some level of apathy towards the grievances of a civilization that has not even been met yet.

The chief that doesn't work properly with grievances is that other civs' relationship with the aggrieved seem to not be weighed that heavily. There should be some level of apathy towards the grievances of a civilization that has not even been met yet.

Or joy at grievances against someone that civ also hates.

1. Sneak attack indicates you know it’s ‘sneaky’
2. Taking 2 cities is the same as the war declaration so you have been tipped over the edge. If you had taken just the 2 cities when they attacked you, no one would blink an eye.

Taking only two cities is not enough punishment :p

Taking only two cities is not enough punishment :p
You are to kind!
I prefer the slow 2 cities at a time approach.
One of my favourites is leaving troops in upgraded away from a city that is one turn off walls
.. and alliances still holding as I slip the knife in.

Napoleon had the perfect cure for denouncements - he simply beat them all. Repeatedly :D

One of the best 'comebacks' in history was at the Congress of Vienna after the Napoleonic Wars, where an Austrian diplomat complained that none of the English diplomats knew how to speak French (the international diplomatic language) very well. The Duke of Wellington, who heard this, replied that the reason was they had never had a chance to learn French from the native speakers because they'd not had their capital occupied by the French Army twice in the previous 10 years.

One of the best 'comebacks' in history was at the Congress of Vienna after the Napoleonic Wars, where an Austrian diplomat complained that none of the English diplomats knew how to speak French (the international diplomatic language) very well. The Duke of Wellington, who heard this, replied that the reason was they had never had a chance to learn French from the native speakers because they'd not had their capital occupied by the French Army twice in the previous 10 years.

:spear:

Incidentally, it's not just the constant cut-scene interruptions of denunciations that waste the player's time. There is also the string of insulting deal proposals offering to pay 5g for some luxury. Reject, reject, reject. Civs should not make proposals that are unrealistic - it just wastes time and is annoying. And before someone says that accepting such a deal might make the civ like you a bit more, (a) denunciation lasts for 30 turns whatever you do, and (b) if you want to give someone a good deal, it should be the player that decides to initiate it.

Denouncing lasts 30 turns I think so it's hardly every couple of turns unless the majority of civs are angry with you. But the game does a good job telling you what's angering them, yes?

Yes if you've got 4-5 civs denouncing you, its on average a denouncement every 5-7 turns.
If you're a bad boy that can quite easily happen.
I dont even mind the denouncements as a mechanic, i just find the repetitive un-interactable denouncement leader screens just tiresome and pointless.

Also those rip-off deal proposals from angry civs... They never work positively so why even bother?

Top Bottom