NOT ANOTHER STONE AGE MOD ... for BTS 3.17

Animals: I occasionally see a 'barbarian' elephant unit instead of the 'animal' version. I also do not 'see' pandas, just grizzlies. I like the suggestion for adding ice age animals: sabertooth, mammoth, etc.

Yeah ... those ice age animals would be a very go add-in for the MOD. But I'm not really good in making textures or editing 3D objects. However, I'll find a way to get them later :)

I would like to see the hunting/gathering/nomadic angle developed more. Herd animals like bison/deer/camels would have defensive value only and cannot attack, but obviously could still injure the hunters.

Next Stone Age version will have something new for hunters ;)

I like the epic sweep of time, but that leads us to only one thing: dynamic ice age(s). Perhaps this is already in there and I have not encountered it yet. There is a dynamic winter effect in the Road To War mod. There could be technology(s) which would help tribes survive the ice age. From the animals-revision above, animals with thick hides could increase health, countering the ice age which could have a decrease-health effect. Like RTW, ice age should not affect entire planet, only the areas closer to the poles and in mountainous areas (latter may not be easily/effectively programable).

I like that idea. I'll give a seek on those MODs to find a way to take advantage of that Dynamic Winter Effect. :)

Not sure if there should be so much wealth changing hands in the stone age. Villages usually give coins. Units cost maintenance. THis is fine for (later) societies which have monetary systems and standing armies. What was the 'wealth' of the stone age? Wasn't it in more practical items, such as tools, weapons, furs (clothing)? There were unique/religious/rare/art-like items of value (shells, feathers, gems, metals, etc.), but weren't these rare and that true-wealth were the items that allowed for the tribe to thrive?

Sure ... Too much wealth handled there is inappropiate. I'll think on another alternative to make it fit better. :crazyeye:

Additional minor tribes. Beyond the barbarian-uprising phase, perhaps there could be other small nomadic tribes which could become allies or victims? Taking their nomadic-settler would add the unit to your tribe. Allying with them would boost culture/science.

Good ... It would be interesting to have little tribes on earlier eras. Other one for the "TO DO LIST" :goodjob:

Science. How did nomadic tribes acquire knowledge? Through contact with others? Through repeated exposure/experience? Shamans/Healers became repositories of this knowledge. [...] Similarly, visiting competing civs should boost the science rate more than most other methods - but only if you physically visit them (there was no way in the stone age to just call up a rival-civ's ruler to chat! - entering Ancient Era could enable the usual Civ diplomacy feature).

Yes ... I've got to find an alternative to wealth and It will be balanced with other stuff for science :). About Civ diplomacy ... I really think that is a good idea. :goodjob:

Food - to add to the thought about no-wealth/maintenance. Stone Age units would need maintenance, but it wouldn't be money -- it would be food and hammers. Again, perhaps a civic handles this.

It would make food more necessary, as it really was. Cool :)

Confirmed. On my family computer which is literally 10000000 times better than my laptop, I have proper pictures, and not the War Elephant symbol. Deselect Frozen Animations if you wanna see the pretty pictures.

You are right. Once I checked the Frozen Animations option and I had problems with units textures. My gatherer unexpectedly looked like a Worker :crazyeye:. Thanks for your confirmation :goodjob:

Another suggestion:
Prehistoric Wonders = new resource-tile. Tribes are nomadic, but can create wonders like the Lascaeux (sp?!) Caves. In Civ terms, you are a non-settled tribe creating a permanent wonder with no city to put it in. So, allow the civ (i.e., you or the AI) to place this wonder somewhere on the physical map as a new resource tile. Or have the game place it somewhere in the current fat-cross of the nomad-unit: like those events which say such-and-such square had a boon happen to it.

I had some other stuff on mind but I haven't figured it out how to add more resources to the TGA fonts file. Stone Age Mod is now using about 49 resources and if I add one more it starts doing crazy things :crazyeye:. If anybody knows hoy I could fix it I would really appreciate it :D

Addendum re fat-cross of nomad-unit. Cities have fat crosses, presumably the workable hunting/gathering zone for the nomadic tribe should be smaller -- limit the range to just the 8 squares surrounding the unit, plus auto-utilization of the square it is sitting on.I wonder if there is a way to build in that hunter/gatherers deplete resources and then have to move on (until the advent of settled agriculture, which allows for things like seed-planting, limited irrigation, storing the harvest, etc.). In other words, a mechanism is needed to 'force' the nomads to move around. Perhaps something where turn-1 in a location you get full-benefit in the current-square (less-benefit in surrounding squares, if worked by population/hunters/gatherers), then increasingly reduced-benefits each turn thereafter. It won't truly capture seasonal movement patterns of nomads, but is a proxy for it anyway.

Wow ... that might be hard to codify :crazyeye:. About forcing the nomads to move, some other person said it could have been better for some tribes to stay where they were because they didn't had a better place to go xD. However, I think players must have an option that could allow them to resettle their tribes. Now I got an idea, but it would make your resettlement start from 1. I'm trying to find a way to keep the city (not really a city xD) level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your suggestions. :thanx:

Played a quick game (abandoned because the Tectonics map script had about 5% land, and 18 civs >.< It was insanely crowded) Even at noble difficulty, I found that the AI can build tribes at an epic speed... seriously!! By the time I had built my first tribe (!) the AI had already got 2 out the door (for 2 cities), and a third was well under-way.

I was planning to add a bigger map ... about 40% bigger than Huge. GIANT map could increase its size to 120% x Huge size one. Also I'm looking for a way to limit city foundation on specifics eras. I tried a MOD I found but It just didn't work properly.

I think where I went wrong was not going for the happyness / healthiness techs, so I was stuck with 4 :) 4 :health: for the entire game. Also, another problem was that I had no forests anywhere, only 2 hills = very very very low production.
If I were to do it again, I would research the three happyness/healthiness techs early on, and THEN go to build some tribes. I expected to build tribes immediately after researching the unlocking tech... but I was miles down the tech tree before my population was anywhere near a suitable level for expanding!

Yeah ... You should not reject earlier techs. Specially if you want to grow. About the trees. I think you should explore the surrounding area if it's not suitable for you. I don't say you should take 20 turns taking a look over it :crazyeye:, but you can spend 5 or even 8 turns just to make sure you can make use of many f the tiles around your new city (yes yes ... not a city, a cave :lol:).

It [culture] should be increased by slightly less than the additional turns in the game. So if you have 15% more turns, then you should have around 10% higher cultural victory thresholds.

Forgot to do that :sad:. ... I will increase the culture rate so it fits better in the game :)

Finally, I can't WAIT to see those Pig farms / the grains alternative. +20% :food: each !? Thats like, for a big city (size 20) with both... + 16 :food: !! Which is BETTER than +16 :health: I mean... it is VERY powerful... of course it requires no less than 8 resources to be that useful. If I were to make a suggestion, I would reccomend that you nerf it by removing the +25% production with cow/sheep/pig/corn etc. etc. etc., and reduce the bonus from +5%, to just +3% (For a maximum of +24% food, or +9.6 food.

I've increased the ammount of food required for a city to grow so those buildings should just let you have a normal city size. On the contrary, I think it's a little harder to have a big city now in earlier Vanilla Civ eras.

I wouldn't want to obsolete that building, however, as many cities will be requiring it to survive.

In fact ... you will need them to grow ;)

Thank you for your comments / suggestions. :thanks:

Here is the proposed new front page:
1 new Civilization
Spoiler :
Peruvia
UU: Quetcha (Replaces Axeman: +50% vs. Archer)
UB: Terrace (???)

5 new Leaders
Spoiler :
Manco Capac (Inca) Cha/Spi
Pachacutec (Inca) Ind/Org
Tupac Yupanqui (Inca) Exp/Imp
Huayna Capac (Inca) (!!??) Agg/Fin
Andres A. Caceres (Peru) Cha/Fin

28 new Technologies
Spoiler :
Paleolithic Era: Hunting, Grain Gathering, Natural Pigments, The Fire, Stone Tools, Wood Working, Parietal Art, Oral Tradition, Fine Edged Tools, Refuge Building, Cultural Identity, Exploration
Mesolithic Era: Tribalism, Prehistoric Music, Microlith, Early Fishing, Weaving, Mystical Beliefs, Stone Building, Dog Breeding, Boating, Herbalism, Sedentary Lifestyle, Cermonial Burial, Advanced Tools
Neolithic Era: Poultry Farming, Barter
Classical Era: Naval Warfare

12 new, and modified Units
Spoiler :

Gatherer (Early Worker. Can only gather seeds / gather wood. Is consumed after doing ANYTHING. Doesn't require any techs)
Tribe (Early Settler. National unit (1 allowed), 1 movement)
Shaman (Early Medic (Starts with Medic I))
Slinger (Early Archer. 2 strength, but also has a small withdrawl chance)
Stone Spearman (Early Spearman. Lower bonus vs. mounted, and 3 stregnth instead of 4)
Atlatl (Early Scout. +100% vs. Animals (which are stronger), instead of +200%)
Stone Axeman (Early Axeman / Swordsman. +25% vs. Melee, +10% city attack. 3 strength, and more expensive than any other unit)
Canoe (Early Galley. 1 strength, no defensive bonus, 1 cargo hold)
Dog Explorer (Rather useless explorer. 1 strength, 2 movement, can only defend, Hidden Nationality)
Siege Quinquereme (Early Naval bombarder. 4% bombard strength. 2 strength.)
Witch Doctor (Medieval Medic. Starts with medic II)
Doctor (Modern Medic. Starts with medic III)

Modified units:
Worker: Now no longer automatically available (Need Sedentary Lifestyle (Neolithic Era)
Settler: Now no longer automatically available (Need Sedentary Lifestyle (Neolithic Era))
Work Boat : Available earlier
Trireme: Now gains +50% vs. Seige Quinquireme as well
Spearman: Now requires Bronze Working. Gains a small bonus vs. wheeled units.
Quechua: Now replaces Axeman, retains that +50% bonus vs. archery units

More Animals
Spoiler :
More animals appear at the beginning, and sooner too! The new units are:
To be added

13 new Resources, includes SULPHUR and RUBBER!!
Spoiler :

Potato
Cotton
Tobacco
Cocoa
Pearls
Apple
Bison
Shrimp
Cedar
Salt
Barley
Sulpher
Rubber

2 new Improvements
Spoiler :

Seed Camp (+1 :food:, +1 :commerce:, only flat-lands, and only plains, grassland, and tundra. Obsolete (with -1 :food:, -1 :commerce:) with Sedintary Lifestyle (and replaced with Farms with Agriculture, and Cottages with Sedintary Lifestyle)
Lumber-yard (+1 :hammers:, only forest and jungle tiles. Forests no longer give +1 :hammers:)

9 new Promotions
Spoiler :

Hunter I (+50% vs. Wild Animals)
Medic I (Heals damaged units +15% on the same tile. Only available to ancient medic units)
Medic II (Heals damaged units +20% on the same tile, heals +10% on adjacent tiles, Only available to medieval medic units)
Medic III (Heals +30 on same tile, heals +20% on adjacent tiles, only available to modern medic units)
Hero. (Requires Combat VI, Great General, +10% Strength, +10% City Strength)
Super Guerrila (Double movement on Hills, +25% Hils strength, +1 First Strike. Only available through the machu Pichhu world wonder)
City Raider IV (+35% City Attack, +15% vs. Land Transport, +15% vs. Gunpowder Units)
City Garrison IV (+35% City Defence, +10% vs. Armored Units)
Cargo (+1 Cargo Space. Only available to Land Transport and Naval Transports)

19 new Buildings
Spoiler :

HUnting INstruction
Knowledge Inheritance
Stone Tools Workshop
Cave Painting
Palisade
Microlith Workship
Shaman Temple
Sacrifice Altar (NOTe: This is different to the Aztec UB: Sacrifical Altar. The Sacrifice Altar give -25% whip duration, and +1 :) with the civic Paganism, and +1 :Unhealth: THe Sacrificial Altar gives -50% whip duration, and replaces the Courthouse)
Wheel Wright
Archer Range
Shipyard (This is an early Drydock, in the classical era, with the same effect)
Poultry Farm
Ranch
Siege Weapons Worship
Barter Post
River Trading Post
Shrine
School of Scribes (Possibly replaces Library?? I dunno. If it does, it is nerfed, giving 5% less science, and 1 less culture)
Garrison

4 new World Wonders
Spoiler :

Lascaux Paints (+1 :) in all cities)
Skara Brae (+25% Golden Age Length)
Machu Picchu (Free Super Guerrilla Promotion for units in this city. +50% City Defence, +25% Bombard Defence)
Lepnski Vir (Sparts a Golden Age, +1 Health in every city)

5 new civics

Spoiler :

Ancestor Worship (+25% GG emergance within border (ingame this is told to be +25% EXP gathered within borders... which is correct?)
Tribal Law (A tiny amount of free units)
Tribalism (-15% maintanance from number of cities, workers work 25% faster)
Barter (+1 trade route per city
+100% Corporation Maintanance
+20% Gold Rate in Capitol)
Mythology (+1 culture from specilists, +25% GG Birth rate, +1 :) from Shrine (which is a building, not the Holy Shrines))

1 new map size (Giant)

Other adjustments for the game ...

Spoiler :
This is a big list of 'tweaks'
Warriors lose the +25% city defence bonus, but the powerful animals make a warrior rush infeasable
Quechas now replace Axemen, and retain 5 :strength:, and +50% vs. Archers
Musketmen, and Riflemen (and Grenadiers??) all require sulpher to build
Marines and [To be added] now require rubber to build
Several new unit classes: Chariots are now wheeled (do not get bonuses from Stables, get a reduced penalty vs. spears and pikes)
Galleons, Galleys, and Transports all are now Transport Ships (Not Naval), but for the most part, get the same bonuses. However, Naval ships also get the "Cargo" promotion, giving +1 cargo capacity. (I haven't used this, but I *assume* that it would be infinitely better on a galley than, say, a transport :p)
Mechanised Infantry now have 1 cargo capacity (stores Marines), and is classified as "Land Transport" (not gunpowder)
Palaces don't give +1 :), and give +3 commerce, instead of +8. They still give +1 :espionage: as per usual.
All cities have 1 less happyness, and 1 less healthiness. However, there are 4 early-game techs (pre-Classical) that give either +1 :), or +1 :health:
Barracks are now split into 2 different buildings. Barracks (Bronze Working) give +3 XP to all land units until Gunpowder, until you need to build Garrisons (Gunpowder), which gives +3 XP to all land units for the rest of the game. Old Barracks are obsoleted at Gunpowder, so they don't work.
All default civics now have small negative bonuses
Rivers now only give the +1 :commerce: with the River Trading post building... meaning riverside cities are stronger in this mod
The Medic line of promotions as YOU know them in regular BtS has been renamed to Aid I, II, and III. Medic I, II, and III are only available with specific units.
Drafting now requires a 4 population city, not a 6 population one.
Animals max XP has been tripled, to 15, and Barbarian max XP has been doubled, to 20.
Max XP after upgrade has been doubled from 10, to 20.
Golden ages, at standard game speed, now take 10 turns (Which I think is a 50% increase of length). At marathon, this is now 30 turns, and at Epic, this is 15 turns. I think.
Route Feature Growth Modifier (whatever that is) has been set to 0
Great Generals Threshold Increase (Whatever that is) has been set to 40.

Finally, my balance stuff (which I think I deserve to say after all this effort :p)

Since the food CONSUMPTION per person is still the same 2 :food: per citizen, the +16 :food: will allow a population, 8 higher than normal. Note, however, that it will probably take most of the game to get that high. Again, I just propose that you remove the +25% building bonus for each food resource.
Also, with the increased food supplies, another important thing to nerf is the Slavery Civic. I propose that you change it's upkeep from Medium to High Upkeep.
Also, remember that all workers, after the Classical era, gain something like a +50% work speed bonus. ALso, remember that bonuses, in civ IV, are ADDITIVE. THis means that your Serfdom (+50% work speed) would only increase the work speed by a mediocre 33% (From 150%, to 200%). As a result, it would be a good idea to increase the power of Serfdom from a +50% work speed bonus, to a +75% work speed bonus (to empower an already weak civic). This will make the bonus similar to Bts.
Barter is an absurdly powerful civic, compared to Free Market (as long as you don't have corporations). To increase variety, how about adding a bonus such as +0.1 :gold: for each resource in each city? That will increase variety, and make more sense realistically.
Hero promotion needs to be buffed. To compare, Combat VI gives +25% strength, base strength. If you MUST have a Hero promotion, maybe make something totally new and radical (maybe +3 :) in the city where it is stationed?) But as it stands, the Hero promotion is a promotion I would leave almost to last.
Nerf Machu Piccu please, NOW!! +25% bombard defence? If you haven't made it obsolete, make it obsolete with Engineering please. Otherwise Walls + Castle + Machu Piccu = 150% city defence, which can't be bombarded pre-steel. Either that, or give it +100% city defence, and remove the +25% bombard defence. Or, even better, as it is a EARLY wonder (and thus should be pretty weak), just give it the free Super Guerrilla promotion, and *maybe* a 25% city bombard defence (obsolete with Engineering)
Nerf Lepnski Vir please. This is stronger than the Taj Mahal, and with the extended Golden Ages, the Taj Mahal is a very strong wonder as it is. +1 :) in all cities is a perfectly fine bonus, if you reduce the :hammers: cost a little, as it isn't as good as Notre Dame, but it happens on all cities, doesn't obsolete, and appears some 40,000 years earlier :p

All in all, however, this is a great mod. A little bit of work is needed, but other than that, most of it is balanced :D

The txt file has been PMed to you.

[...]Since the food CONSUMPTION per person is still the same 2 :food: per citizen, the +16 :food: will allow a population, 8 higher than normal. Note, however, that it will probably take most of the game to get that high. Again, I just propose that you remove the +25% building bonus for each food resource. Also, with the increased food supplies, another important thing to nerf is the Slavery Civic. I propose that you change it's upkeep from Medium to High Upkeep.

I think I could better change the food consumption into 3.

Also, remember that all workers, after the Classical era, gain something like a +50% work speed bonus. ALso, remember that bonuses, in civ IV, are ADDITIVE. THis means that your Serfdom (+50% work speed) would only increase the work speed by a mediocre 33% (From 150%, to 200%). As a result, it would be a good idea to increase the power of Serfdom from a +50% work speed bonus, to a +75% work speed bonus (to empower an already weak civic). This will make the bonus similar to Bts.

Hmmm I don't really undestand it :crazyeye:. Do you mean workers should work faster because there are more resources in the game?? :confused:

Barter is an absurdly powerful civic, compared to Free Market (as long as you don't have corporations). To increase variety, how about adding a bonus such as +0.1 :gold: for each resource in each city? That will increase variety, and make more sense realistically.

Yes ... you are right :lol:. I'll think of some better balance for it. Maybe just +1 trade route per city.

Hero promotion needs to be buffed. To compare, Combat VI gives +25% strength, base strength. If you MUST have a Hero promotion, maybe make something totally new and radical (maybe +3 :) in the city where it is stationed?) But as it stands, the Hero promotion is a promotion I would leave almost to last.

I'll think about something differente. :p

Nerf Machu Piccu please, NOW!! +25% bombard defence? If you haven't made it obsolete, make it obsolete with Engineering please. Otherwise Walls + Castle + Machu Piccu = 150% city defence, which can't be bombarded pre-steel. Either that, or give it +100% city defence, and remove the +25% bombard defence. Or, even better, as it is a EARLY wonder (and thus should be pretty weak), just give it the free Super Guerrilla promotion, and *maybe* a 25% city bombard defence (obsolete with Engineering)

Yes ... I has already removed the Bombard defense as it makes no sense. I think it should only get the simple defense (like palisades). Other thing I was planning was to REALLY OBSOLETE pallisades when after Masonry. It makes really hard to attack a city that has +75% defense. :sad:

Nerf Lepnski Vir please. This is stronger than the Taj Mahal, and with the extended Golden Ages, the Taj Mahal is a very strong wonder as it is. +1 :) in all cities is a perfectly fine bonus, if you reduce the :hammers: cost a little, as it isn't as good as Notre Dame, but it happens on all cities, doesn't obsolete, and appears some 40,000 years earlier :p

Yeah ... A golden age is really a BIG ADVANTAGE so early in the game so I'll agree the bonus must be changed :).

By the way ... thanks a lot for your help with the Mod description yo made. That is really useful :goodjob:. Soon I'll be posting new version with all those balance fixes. Thanks a lot for your comments / suggestions too. :)

Thanks for the news. BTW, where can I find it? :rolleyes:

It is being worked on in the World of Civilization SVN. You would need are dll or pick it out the SDK(which probably is more work than it is worth). Would you be interested to just you the WoC dll? What did you add to your dll? If it is something small would could maybe put it into the WoC dll. Well I know changing all of that is something else. But if you have not seen the WoC here is a link to the latest installer. It does not have everything that is the SVN of course. Not yet anyway.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10918

We have adding a lot more now like quantified resources. Revolution, Super Spies, Dales mod, and many more, but anyway we are trying to make different units that actually gather the resources from a piece of land or water(fish) and bring it back to the camp.

I am attempting to make new yields for this time and once an improvement is built it has the game typical yields. Plus quantified resources are in the works and also converting a resource like clay to pottery to be traded. Just a lot being worked on anyway and thought you might be interested.

Here is an example of the new yields that I need to work on more.

But if not interested I understand why. We have some threads that explain how to download the SVN if you are interested or you can PM me if you want me to explain more.

I noticed rivers no longer give the +1 coin to adjacent tiles (as long as they don't have forest or jungle), does this change with a certain technology or its like this for the whole game?

I noticed rivers no longer give the +1 coin to adjacent tiles (as long as they don't have forest or jungle), does this change with a certain technology or its like this for the whole game?

Forests and Jungles can still appear on riversides (Actually, I haven't changed that). To get +1 coin over river tiles, now you MUST build a River Trading Post. It requires Barter and Boating techs. Also, city MUST have been founded near the river (the same way you need coastal cities to build harbors, now you need riverside cities to build River Trading Post ;)).

Rivers don't give +1 commerce until you build the River Trading Post (Barter + [Edit]Boating[/Edit]).

Now onto the reply:

I think I could better change the food consumption into 3.

OH GOD NO!! That would be even worse. Reasoning: You cannot make a city grow with that rediculous level of food consumption. Even a seed plant / floodplains tile would only make that city stagnant (and only if you happen to settle on a tile with 3 base :food: to begin with. You would be stuck at size 1, and if you start in the first era, you would always be starving... at population 1!!

Just weaken the poultry farm / the cow/pig/bison/sheep equivelent slightly. Its easier. Don't weaken it too much, however, because I already love it (even though I couldn't build it... curse you lack of resources!!)

Hmmm I don't really undestand it . Do you mean workers should work faster because there are more resources in the game??

Not quite. In civ 4 all bonuses are additive. What this means is that if you have a +100% bonus, and get another +100% bonus, then you end up with a +200% bonus. (In Civ III and earlier, all bonuses were MULTIPLICITIVE, so if you had a +100% bonus (X2), and another +100% bonus (X2), the final bonus would be 2 X 2 = 4, so it gave a +300% bonus. This made pikes on forts on mountains on hills invinsible to all but armies of tanks, so it was removed)

Now, this means that lots of things need to be thought out alot. Lets take your scout, and find out how much stronger it is on a forest (vs. an animal)

Scouts are 1 :strength:, with a +200% bonus vs. animals (in your mod). Thus, they are normally 1 + 200% = 3 strength units. On a forest, however, they get +200% from animals, and +50% from tile defence (forest). This gives a +250% bonus, and thus the final strength is 1 + 250% = 3.5 :strength:. Note that the +50% bonus DOESN'T increase the strength of the scout from 3 to 4.5 (3 + 50%), but instead, it only gives a 0.5 stength bonus (1 + 50%), because all bonuses are applied to the BASE STRENGTH.

Now, serfdom is a little more complex. Instead of strength, we can use "worker speed". The default worker speed is 1. Now, after Improved tools, the worker strength is 1.5 (+25% from stone tools, and +25% from Improved Tools, for +50% bonus overall). Now, if we add serfdom into that, it gives another +50%, for a grand total of 2.0

Note that serfdom only increased the power of worker speed from 1.5 to 2.0, or a 33% bonus. Thats the bonus that you get from adopting serfdom... 33%. But if you give serfdom a +75% bonus, then the grand total would be 2.25 (1 + 25% from Stone tools, +25% from Improved Tools, and +75% from Serfdom), and going from 1.5 to 2.25 would give the expected +50% bonus.

Other, simaler things: The second-tier civic that gives +25% worker speed (it should be +38%), Hagia Sophia World Wonder (it should be +75%), and Steam Power (it should give +75% too). If you have all of these (and keeping in mind that the Hagia Sophia obsoletes with Steam Power), your workers would have a bonus of +238% worker rate (or 3.38 worker strength).

Yes ... you are right . I'll think of some better balance for it. Maybe just +1 trade route per city.

I would like to apologise. I didn't notice that Free Market gives +25% gold in the capital.
However, the great thing about Civ IV is that no civic is 'better' than any other, always, with the obvious exception of the default civics (and possibly Serfdom). If you keep that in mind, and make sure that, in som circumstances, Barter would be better than Free Market, then that would be awesome. I think Barter should be a civic employed by small civilisations, with lots of resources. Thus, I propose that Barter is changed to:
Medium Upkeep
+0.1 :gold: per resource per city (including repeats)
+25% Maintanance from distance to palace (Or, if you feel like it, +2 :mad: for cities being more than 7 tiles from the palace)

Yes ... I has already removed the Bombard defense as it makes no sense. I think it should only get the simple defense (like palisades). Other thing I was planning was to REALLY OBSOLETE pallisades when after Masonry. It makes really hard to attack a city that has +75% defense.

I just noticed that you reduced it to just 10% bombard defences, and +25% city defence... and the idea is that that city IS hard to overwhelm :p But you seem to be on the right track, IMO, about the Machu Picchu

1 last thing... I just played a game... and I had NO GRAINS (including Barley... I also had no wheat, no corn, and no rice). Maybe if you could please check that the resource distributions haven't been changed? With more resources available, it is important that you have enough of all of them to be useful (meaning that you should probably increase the number of resources on the planet by a small (+15% maybe?) amount. I know that this will make even bigger cities, meaning a SE would be rather... powerful, so maybe to fix this 'lack of a specific resource' problem:

Increase the resource drops in all maps by approximately 15% (This is about how many new resources you have added)
Increase the requirements for all Great People (except Great Generals) by about 20%
Weaken cottages in the late game by reducing the commerce output of towns after electricity by 1 (for a +1 commerce for villages, and +1 commerce for towns)

[Update]Playing several more maps, and I have the same thing each time, a chronic lack of resources. More specifically, there is often only 1 source of corn / 1 source of wheat etc. etc. on the entire map. Thankfully, stragetic resources are in approximately acceptable numbers.

A more specific selection of what I think needs to be done, before this mod is enjoyable (as the lack of food resources REALLY annoys me!!)

Food resources: Most food resources, if they yield more than 4 :food:, need to be reduced in thier IMPROVED state (after the improvement) by 1 :food:. Basically, anything that gives +3 :food: or higher, needs to be reduced by +1 :food:
Food resources need to be increased in number by +40%, or thereabouts. This includes seafood, which is eerily rare.
Commerce resources need to remain about the same density
Production resources need to be increased in number by about +10%
Strategic resources need to be left alone.
The base health rate needs to be reduced by 1, Fire shouldn't give +1 :health:, and Fire should be required for Bronze Working, or possibly Improved Tools (it is entirely possible for this game to be played without ever researching fire ;) ), and the tech that leads on from Fire, should be requried for Writing.

Oh, one last thing for you to check about sulpher: You have weakened the musketman, an already rather weak unit. Possibly consider giving it EITHER a small boost vs. mounted (+10~20%) (as horses, even trained ones, don't like loud noises), or increase its power to 10 ~ 11 strength (To make it different from the Maceman). Also, to make sulpher more of an important resource, you could move cannons to Gunpowder, weaken them (to 10 strength), and make them require sulpher (Like Rhyes and Fall of Civilisation did), as there isn't much seige between trebs and cannons :p These are only things that I consider a 'nice touch', not anything critically important (its not even important at all :p)

Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be any other issues at all!! Smart idea making most advanced modern units requiring Rubber :p I like it :D

I found the river thingy thanks for the tip.

I'm enjoying playing with the mod quite a lot but I'm use to playing huge maps with 30 civs, is there any way to play with more than 18 civs or to incorporate a mod that does into this one? I use the one from Lt. Bob, but as both mod use a dll I don't know how to combine them. Thanks and keep up the good work.

PS: I thing the mod is quite balanced, although I didn't like the new quechua, and the slinger seems a little overpowered.
Also deers and furs have been seriously nerfed now that forests don't give the +1 hammer, so I would make camps give +1 extra hammer to compensate

[...]I'm enjoying playing with the mod quite a lot but I'm use to playing huge maps with 30 civs, is there any way to play with more than 18 civs or to incorporate a mod that does into this one?

Yes, new Mod's version will allow more Civs in game. ;) Also I think I'll increase the size of the Giant map (from 15% to 30% bigger than Huge) and add one more (60% bigger than Huge).

PS: I thing the mod is quite balanced, although I didn't like the new quechua, and the slinger seems a little overpowered.

Yes, I really don't like Quechuas get in game too late. I'll think on an alternative. :sad:

Also deers and furs have been seriously nerfed now that forests don't give the +1 hammer, so I would make camps give +1 extra hammer to compensate

Upss, I didn't consider that :eek:. I promise it will be fixed. :)

Thanks for you comments / suggestions and keep enjoying this Mod. :goodjob:

Finally I've finished the new Stone Age version. You can download it from the main thread. Please, read the Change Log for detailed information about the changes.

PD: I'm sorry I couldn't find a way to let more than 18 civilizations play in the game :sad:. I'll keep looking for an answer, but if somebody can help me with it, I would really appreciate it a lot :D.

[EDIT]Thanks to DRESDEN, now we have a DLL than allows us tu play with more than 30 Civs. Please, download it from the main thread. Thanks a lot Dresden :hatsoff: [/EDIT]

HAVE FUN :goodjob:

PD: I'm sorry I couldn't find a way to let more than 18 civilizations play in the game :sad:. I'll keep looking for an answer, but if somebody can help me with it, I would really appreciate it a lot :D.

It's hardcoded in the SDK. Look for this line in CvDefines.h and change it to whatever you wish (scroll to the right because there are a bunch of tabs):
Code:
#ifdef _USRDLL
#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS												(18)
#else
It's a simple change, but will require a complete rebuild.

It's hardcoded in the SDK. Look for this line in CvDefines.h and change it to whatever you wish (scroll to the right because there are a bunch of tabs):
Code:
#ifdef _USRDLL
#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS												(18)
#else
It's a simple change, but will require a complete rebuild.

Yeah ... I've done that but when you create a custom game you can't load more than 18 civs :sad:. Maybe I'm missing something else??? :cry:

Are you sure you did a complete rebuild and are using the new DLL? Because when I start a game using the Unofficial Patch 50-civ DLL I can go way past 18 as you can see in the team numbers below (links to full-size)

And changing that define is the only difference between the 50-civ version and the normal Unofficial Patch.

Are you sure you did a complete rebuild and are using the new DLL? Because when I start a game using the Unofficial Patch 50-civ DLL I can go way past 18 as you can see in the team numbers below (links to full-size)

And changing that define is the only difference between the 50-civ version and the normal Unofficial Patch.

Wow ... I was missing the REBUILD SOLUTION :eek:. I was only Re-building the DLL and that was the reason I didn't get any changes :crazyeye:.

Thank you a lot man. :hatsoff:

Thanks to Dresden, I could get a DLL that will let you play with more than 18 civs. You can download it from the main thread. :)

:D

Awesome!! I see you did many of my reccomendations.

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to game-test anything until I get my new ($1800) computer, but I am interested in Cocoa... unhealthiness is ALWAYS worse than happiness (2 :yuck: is better, in every circumstance, than 1 :mad:). Thus, having access to cocoa would almost always be a big penalty. But tobacco is cool :D

I am also glad to see that you can't get to fibre-optics without the knowledge of fire :p

And for some reason, my spoilers (in the first page) are missing new lines... is there a reason why you did this?

I have yet to see if the number of food resources have increased, but the less dependence on the grains and animals (due to the nerfage of Ranch and Poultry Farm) means that it is less of a problem. I will miss the +X% food, however, but that is an important sacrifice to make for the sake of balance. +X% food is ALWAYS hard to balance :p

I like the new Heroic Promotion... it means travelling down the combat line is quite a nice ability. I *might* recommend giving it +1 movement, as well as the blitz ability, but of course, it is hard to get to combat IV anyway, even with a GG :p

Finally... what does the "Food from Animals" mod do? I assume it gives a temporary food bonus to the nearest city, as soon as an animal is killed... which MASSIVELY makes the hunter promotions worth it :D

Well done. If the food problems are fixed, then this is a GREAT mod... well done!!

[...]I am interested in Cocoa... unhealthiness is ALWAYS worse than happiness (2 :yuck: is better, in every circumstance, than 1 :mad:). Thus, having access to cocoa would almost always be a big penalty.[...]

Well ... everything depends on what you decide. It's "COCA" PLANT, not Cocoa :crazyeye:. and It doesn't mean I'm promoting it :lol:. Cocaine Laboratory (illegal one) gives many more commerce and production yields than a simple Plantation. But that is not really the only difference. Anyway, I'll let you find what I'm talking about on the game ;) (hope you get your new computer soon).

And for some reason, my spoilers (in the first page) are missing new lines... is there a reason why you did this?

Hmmm ... I just updated the information in the Spoilers with the new features. I also changed some short comments but that was because the Spoilers are only to Describe the Mod (didn't expect you wished them to be showed up too :rolleyes:)

I have yet to see if the number of food resources have increased, but the less dependence on the grains and animals (due to the nerfage of Ranch and Poultry Farm) means that it is less of a problem. I will miss the +X% food, however, but that is an important sacrifice to make for the sake of balance. +X% food is ALWAYS hard to balance :p

Yeah, now you won't get only one source of corn or other Grain resource :lol:. I've taken a look on many maps by Worldbuilder and everything seems to be well distributed now. Ranchs and Poultry Farms gives +2 food yields each one. That would help you from the beggining of its construction :).

I like the new Heroic Promotion... it means travelling down the combat line is quite a nice ability. I *might* recommend giving it +1 movement, as well as the blitz ability, but of course, it is hard to get to combat IV anyway, even with a GG :p

It's true ... I think I'll update it in the next update (with other game checks).

Finally... what does the "Food from Animals" mod do? I assume it gives a temporary food bonus to the nearest city, as soon as an animal is killed... which MASSIVELY makes the hunter promotions worth it :D

Actually, when you kill an animal, the nearest city will receive, only that current turn, an ammount of food and production yields (it depends on the killed animal). But I've set the number of yields given so they are very useful if you want to balance your city's growth / production. There are also plenty of animals everywhere so it won't be a problem to find them ;)

Well done. If the food problems are fixed, then this is a GREAT mod... well done!!

Yeah ... I can assure you it has been fixed. But it's still possible not to have grain resources in your capital borders (it's all about luck :lol:), but they should not be very far ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your comments. :goodjob:

Top Bottom