• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

NotW LIV - The Masque of Death

What? Pretty sure that will just end in an all tie for the mask and the winner will be selected by random.

Also the Sable mask seemed harmless enough.

If it is distributed randomly, we can assume it doesn't convert as then there would be no way to actually get rid of the scum given how the masks are distributed before the lynch. A player would always be getting converted before anything could be done with it and thus the townies could never win. The only way to beat the mask would be to keep voting it back to the scum until there were no scum left. That'd be one of the more harsher game mechanics ever conceived, let alone implemented in a game.

I hadn't actually considered that no one would vote for a mask, but I suppose it would just hang around until the next day phase for another round of voting.

legato

his ability sounds a bit like a godfathers to be honest.

Here's an outlandish idea for discussion:

This admittedly is bugging me also, especially since we have no claims of any sort from him (and Winston, though we have more a more concrete idea Legato could be a Godfather over Winston). Given at the conclusion of Night Seven the ball ends, we only have Days 6 and 7 along with Nights 6 and 7 to worry about mislynches and kills. Since Snerk still has a roleblock available, we can test this tonight and prove he's not doing any killings.

As such, I propose the following:

A lynch of Legato Endless. His claimed abilities are passive and as was pointed out earlier, his vote on Newyn really didn't matter all that much - it's either bussing or irrelevant given my double-vote power. Plus I'm not convinced I can block him given his claim.

Snerk then roleblocks Winston Hughes. This ties up Snerk and prevents Winston from killing. Why don't you roleblock him? Because he's first estate, if I block a fellow first-estater I will lose the block for night 7. You'll remember in my initial claim of roleblocker I claim I lose the block if I block a spellcaster. That was a bit of a misdirection on my part - the above is the truth.

I roleblock Visorslash. This verifies Visor isn't the Dark Cultist (I doubt he is regardless), but it covers the possibility. He's second estate, so no loss of ability for night 7.

Autolycus has already been cleared yesterday with my block, so it is impossible he is scum. Therefore, he can use his mask to protect me as we'll need the roleblock the following night on Snerk assuming he's scum (we'll see a kill, likely on me Autolycus if he is).

This gets us through Day 6 and Night 6, likely with only one death (Legato). With only one lynch and one day kill and 5 players left (Snerk/Auto/Visor/Winston/Me) it becomes mathematically impossible for the scum to win. While there's no mention in the rules about abstaining voting to no-vote, I'm assuming we could just sit the day seven lynch out and win (Arakhor: clarification please - are these valid actions?) Thoughts?

<nvm>

all masks to me

doubt there is conversion in this game to be honest unless it is through a role

legato, if town you probably dont want to fully claim

no need to rock the boat

all masks to me

doubt there is conversion in this game to be honest unless it is through a role

no need to rock the boat

But why risk it? There's ZERO downside to not voting the mask to anyone. Why do you really want the mask?

There is no need to block me, I don't have a night action.

Block someone who could be the scum.

Who should I block then? Everyone is accounted for in my plan.

But why risk it? There's ZERO downside to not voting the mask to anyone. Why do you really want the mask?

Who should I block then? Everyone is accounted for in my plan.

I want to know what they do and I'm too lazy to wait until post game, i want something exciting to do

and i don't know, but we both know i don't do anything

snerk not roleblocking is very strange imo

Here's my thought on Snerk not roleblocking: If there was a time Snerk as scum was going to roleblock, it would have been during the night I roleblocked Newyn. Newyn had picked up I was some sort of watcher/tracker from the thread and would have relayed that to Snerk. I get roleblocked and killed and no one is the wiser. I'm still convinced I was the target the night Newyn attempted to attack, but we won't know that until after the game ends.

That basically leaves Winston and Legato as the last scum and to be honest, I'm not getting a scum vibe from Legato though I would like clarification on this quote:
Clarification to Winston: I'm not bullet proof. If I'm attacked I'll certainly die. I just don't stay dead very long, which is balanced by the time limit both teams are working within.

What does this mean exactly?

Slight hitch in my plan: according to Winston his ability at night blocks all actions against him except for kill attempts. So Snerk probably can't block him. I need to rethink things.

no need to rock the boat

You're just bored and want me dead.

That basically leaves Winston and Legato as the last scum and to be honest, I'm not getting a scum vibe from Legato though I would like clarification on this quote:

What does this mean exactly?

It means I need time to resurrect before I'm back in the game. With the clock ticking, that provides the town with a potential 'extra' member to delay parity, but gives the mafia a grace period to exploit as well. For balance purposes, my alignment is also not revealed until I've actually been eliminated from the game. Either via the lynch, or one other method.

The scum having to win by the end of N7 is an unusual mechanic, and in a game where their kills can be prevented - apparently in several different ways - there must be some pretty significant compensation. It could very well be that there are still two scum alive. Four scum from the start sounds high, though. So, there's the possibility that BL raised: that a player or players might be converted to the scum team by a mask or masks. Thus, Visor's D2 acquisition of KingMorgan's Sable Mask is something that needs another look.

This what led up to it:

Spoiler :
give me the sable mask because if it kills people i want to kill people

lots of deaths

i will trade votes for the sable mask
Visor for the Sable Mask
Visorslash I'll trade you votes for the Sable Mask
In exchange for me getting the Dragon Mask
My votes for the other masks are open for negotiation.
Ahem. *coughs*

Visor for the sable mask

Stupid tag.
And these followed:
Spoiler :
grrr

i've been cheated

newyn
I'm also uncomfortable with how willing people have been to vote him the Sable Mask.
Believe me, I now know why!
At the time I felt this all seemed a bit off, but now we know that Newyn was scum, and with Legato being high on the suspect list as well, it's by no means impossible that what we're looking at is Visor being deliberately recruited by means of the Sable mask. As I discuss below, Visor's reaction to the mask doesn't really fit with what he later claimed for it. However, one part of his reaction makes total sense if acquiring the mask converted him to the scum team (or, for that matter, if they were already scumbuddies): immediately distancing himself from Newyn.

Later on in the game, we have a bit more from Visor on the subject of the Sable mask:
yeah the sable mask was terrible- scum know this and are happy to vote it to me.
He says this, but he doesn't mention either Newyn or Legato by name. In fact, his named suspects that day are me (though only in response to Autolycus voting me), Takhisis (who he votes for initially, and is 'pretty sure about') and Autolycus (who he switches his vote to after BL makes a case, and just before Newyn claimed a scan clearing BL). So, to be crystal clear, he says the scum were happy to vote the mask to him, whilst completely ignoring the people who voted the mask to him as possible suspects.
The sable mask allows me to hide behind another player.
This is yesterday. Three days after receiving a mask the powers of which were already known to scum, Visor finally chooses to tell us what it does. But only after BL's revelation of the roleblock, which makes Newyn the default lynch, unless some other explanation for the missed kill can be found. At any point prior to this, Visor could have revealed what the Sable mask was for, thus giving the town information that the scum already knew. But, instead, he held off until Newyn's defence needed alternate mechanics that might have caused a no-kill.

Alongside the anti-town delay in claiming a power for the Sable mask, we also should look at the nature of that claim in relation to his earlier allusions. The claimed power isn't useless - indeed, it seems to make it a bad idea for the scum to target Visor, in case he was hiding behind one of their own number. As far as I can see, the main problem it might pose to the town is that of confusion. But that problem could quite easily have been dealt with in the very first place, simply by telling the town what the scum already knew about the mask. But looking at how Visor talked about the mask previously, he was very clearly implying that the mask was either useless or actively unhelpful.

There is no townie explanation here. The first charge is withholding information from town that the scum already know. The second charge is waiting to reveal that information until a time when it might help a scumbag dodge the lynch. The third charge is strongly implying things about the information which does not fit with the eventual reveal.

Whether the mask converted him, or he was evil from the start, from where I'm sitting the evidence points quite clearly to Visorslash being scum.

Top Bottom