Now THIS is a bad start!

EDIT: any opinions? Does this story rock? Or it sucks? Should i go on? Or should i quit storytelling and start, say, cultivating broccoli instead? Any feedback is appreciated.

IMO, you should keep the updates coming.

Top thread that's been very informative indeed.

360AD - The discovery of the New World

After two failed attempts, a Roman galley has finally reached a new land. A tiny village called Oka, on the edge of a small stripe of land. We meet the Iroquois.
Oka is defended by spears. Good news, those people aren't too advanced. Apparently, they have just entered the Middle Age. They don't know the art of literature, and lacks all the middle age technologies.

I meet Bob of the Iroquois, who is annoyed with me. I trade with him. Literature and Monotheism for contact with Babylon and Persia, and his territory map. Damn Bob! He owns a large territory to the north, and some small spots of land to the south. 19 cities, but 7 of them are unconnected and undeveloped. 12 'useful' cities in the core for the Iroquois. 10 for me. But Bob has spaced too much his cities and is wasting lots of uncorrupted tiles. Good for me.

Babylon is a surprise. Hammurabi, let's call him Jason for now, is polite. I buy his territory map for a measley 30 golds. Jason has only 4 cities! 2 of them have been captured by the Iroquois, but other cities must have been razed by the Iroquois. There is absolutely no sign of expansion from Babylon, except toward east. The histograph shows that Babylon was the strongest nation in 1000BC, then there is a steady rise of the Iroquois, coinciding with decline of Babylon. They lack Theology.

Persia is the most backwards of all the nations! Weren't they supposed to be scientific? They're still in the ancient age. They still need to discover Construction, and ignore Literature and Monarchy. Poor Xerxes! And better call him Mickey.
Mickey is happy to provide me his world maps for the knowledge of Literature. Now i have an excellent chart of the New World. We meet again Bob to get the few missing world maps. I shell out 30 golds and the maps are mine.

Good job. I am the only one to be in contact with the New World. I'm only one to know the maps of the two continents. I want these suckers not to communicate each other.

Americans have discovered a new island. It has iron in a hill. Now they know Astronomy so they're going to colonize quite soon. Pikes for the pukes, then. :cringe:

Alex is in anarchy. He was in monarchy, so i guess he's changing into Republic. Good. War weariness for him.

Next turn i establish embassies with all the 3 civs of the New Worlds. All spears are upgraded to pikes.

In the following turns, little happens, except for some skirmishes with Aztec jaguars and spears. For the first time, an aztec pukeman come to harass my territory, but he's sent packing. 4 cities are building legions. My army is reinforcing. The next step is to eat all what remains of the Greek territory, except for Thermopylae. Greeks are spending 100% in science, if they manage to research Engineering or Chivalry they'll have a few extra techs to donate me :D I'm planning a combined strike against Sparta and Corinth. But all these hoplites and archers stationing on the border are worrysome. I'll need more units and more catapults for the defense of the land around Athens and Heliopolis.

Here's a collage of 2 different game shots. Top: A roman vessel reach the coastal waters of a distant Iroquois settlement. Contact with the Bob of the Iroquois is established. Alas, the heroic galley didn't survive the return. Bottom: the strange weakness of Babylon.

Attachments

• UglyStart11.jpg
    UglyStart11.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,693
I think you should advance down that greek/egyptian peninsula. Hopefully that action make just one land frontier with the main Greek state to the north. It should give you a better defensive position.

420AD - Cultural awakening

For thousands of years the people of Rome has been described as a ruthless bunch of dirty peasants, shameless merchants and bloodthirsty warriors. Now, for the first time in history, Rome is gaining culturally over the other populations of the Old World. The first Cathedral of Zeus has been built in Thebes. Another will follow in Elephantine.

Our generals complain that culture is useless on the battlefield. Some more illuminated advisors reply that some culture is necessary to keep into the populace the idea of a national identity. Without something to be proud, apart from the number of enemies slaughtered, the people of Rome is going to lose its loyalty to the Crown.

But military needs are not forgotten, even in peace times. Every year new companies of legionaries are trained and equipped for battle. Our training camps are always busy. We actually have an eccess of 16 legionary companies ready to engage in battle, supported by archer, mounted units, and catapults. Actually, in these "peace times" we are at war with Aztecs. But hostilities with Monty are nothing more than occasional skirmishes between our standing forces and some venturing companies of Jaguars, and in most cases the invading Aztec soldiers are sent home badly beaten.

Monty doesn't bother asking for peace, and i have no reasons to call a cease-fire. Little news come from Aztec lands, but imperial maps receive regular updates from Greece and America. Aztland is still a jungle covered wild land, and Monty seems too obsessed by this useless war to care for the development of its territory. Taken into account the representative form of government actually used in Atzland, it is likely that Aztec people won't tolerate forever such a thing.

Abe has colonized the northern island NE of the main continent. The city of Miami has been build right above that iron spot. I guess they'll build a harbor quickly to connect the source of iron from the mainland. Pukemen and Knights for Abe. America has discovered Engineering and probably will trade this precious knowledge with Greece for Chivalry. Oddly, that iron spot in greek land is still undeveloped.

What is seriously lacking in our Kingdom is science. We have only a full functional public library, in Alexandria. And research is confined between a small circle of men in Elephantine. They're slowly progressing in the development of a printing press machine, a technology that our opponents seem to overlook for now. Good. There is a fair chance that the printing press mechanism, once it's made feasible, will be a good asset to trade.

In the New World, Bob is slowly eating all what remains of Babylon. He captured Samarra. Only 3 cities are still loyal to the Babylonian soon-to-be ex-empire.

In the current shot, the Iroquois core territory covers the most part of the New World's mainland. In the map, it is visible the slowly disappearing Babylonian Empire and the small territory of the Persian Republic.

@AndrewH: .. and here you are.

@HAND: i'd like to leave the city of Thermopylae in the hand of Alex. :D
What i have in mind is to sign peace with him once he's left with only 1 city, so i can extort the most from Greece during peace negotiations. Having moved my capital from Roma to Athens, the main land of Greece, once conquered, would be quite productive.
The drawback in leaving Thermopylae as the city-state of Greece would be the cultural pressure problem in Elephantine, but i'm already pumping cultural buildings there, so the risk of a culture flip is going to be minimal.
It's obvious that, after peace expires, Thermopylae will be instantly assimilated, and Pi-Ramesses, the last egyptian city, is going to meet the same destiny.

@BlackJAC: thanx! Glad to know it's been also useful.

Attachments

• UglyStart12.jpg
    UglyStart12.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,629
tR1cKy said:
Next turn i establish embassies with all the 3 civs of the New Worlds. All spears are upgraded to pikes.

A neat trick is that as soon as you contact someone for the first time, just say hello and don't trade anything. Then establish and embassy and then talk to them again. This time their mood will be much better and most times you'll get better trade deals.

Enjoying the story, keep it up.

to take the city is much easier than to keep it. the culture is the key.

Talking about similarities, has someone noticed that the Old World has a slight resemblance with Great Britain?
PSSST... next update in a few minutes. Stay tuned folks! ;)

480AD - Preparing for battle

Peace treaty with Greece expires this turn, but i'll gift Alex with a few extra turns of peace, until his Sistine Chapel in Sparta gets finished.

The Roman army becomes stronger every turn. My generals report an excess of 25 legionary companies already gathered in the plains NE of Athens, and there will be at least 30 of them when swords will finally be drawn. Rome's main cities are still busy recruiting new soldiers, and communications lines between them work perfectly. When a legion company is sent from Roma, the very same turn another legion company arrives at the gathering area ready for battle.

There's no miracle in this, only wise planning and good organizations. The Roman cities of Remola and Forte Cucco were placed where they are with the precise intent of acting as waypoint for troop movements. Their stationing garrisons assure that there will be no holes in the deploying of troops. When a legion company arrives in Romola, Thebes or Forte Cucco there's always another company ready to leave for the front.

To speed up production of new troops, i'm extensively using a dirty rushbuilding trick. The problem with rushing is that you instantly fill all the shield required to finish the building, thus losing the production outcome of that turn. The cities of Roma, Remola and Memphis can produce a legion in 3 turns. But if i start building an archer, rush it after the first turn and then change production to a legionary, i finish it in only 2 turns with half the cost that i would have payed for a "proper" money rushing.

Meanwhile, some Aztecs pukes are coming south toward Alexandria in search of some serious beating. I've diverted some troops from the gathering point to be sure they'll get what they want.

In the New World, Bob of the Iroquois is still aiming at the complete annexation of Babylon. He's just conquered Uruk. Two cities are all what remains of the once mighty Babylonian empire. I confess i'm hoping for some culture flip. I don't want Bob to become too powerful.

I've just received an angry letter from Mickey of the Persians:

Dear Caesar,
please stop at once to call me "Mickey". If you want to mangle my name, have at least the decency to not call me like a rat! Why not "Mario" instead? It reminds me of an old game i played when i was young...

Ok. Mario of the Persians. Yes, i must admit it sounds better than Mickey. Fine. :D

In the shot: the link between cities acting perfectly as a reinforcement grid for troops deployed from the southern cities. In the Greek area, my battle plan for the soon-to-come "Operation Santorini".

Attachments

• UglyStart13.jpg
    UglyStart13.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 1,636
tR1cKy said:
Talking about similarities, has someone noticed that the Old World has a slight resemblance with Great Britain?

Yes, although it appears that all of Wales has sunk into the Irish Sea. :eek:

P.S.: Perhaps your starting location wasn't the worst after all. Look at Babylon. :lol:

sennomulo said:
...P.S.: Perhaps your starting location wasn't the worst after all. Look at Babylon. :lol:
[delurking]:wow: Babylon start with two wheat, a cow and a lux in the capital... Any human player would have kicked donkey with that start.

It's an interesting game. :)
[/delurking]

Hi you all! And thx for the feedback!

@bonscott: I confess that i forgot to act this way. Thanks for reminding me. BTW, trades with the New World pukes were minimal. Only maps and contacts for some backward techs and a little money.

@sennomulo: Yeah, the similarity between the New World and South America is astounding. And not only the landmass. Look at the territory of Persia. Doesn't it look like Argentina?

@mrtn: you're right. AS are dumb indeed!

About Babylon, it actually expanded at first, but the lack of iron forced Jason to stick with bowmen. Then (probably) Iroquois mounted warriors came from the north, and Persian immortals joined the party from SW. Due to Babylonian high culture, they choose to raze cities rather than conquering them. However, even a "normal" human player would have performed far better than the AS.

I've played a few more turns, but my cravings for sleep prevented me from posting the log. I'll update this evening after work, then i'll play more. A few anticipations: Operation Santorini has started, but the greek scumbags had an unplesant surprise for me, and i've been forced to change my battle plan.

Big things are coming, and some of them aren't good. Don't miss the next update!

540AD - Operation Santorini

Greeks have just built Sistine in Sparta.

In the same turn, Operation Santorini has begun.

The last "confidential" reports on Greek military bring me an unpleasant surprise. Corinth is defended by 3 vet hoplites, and is on a floodplain. But it's the report from Sparta that made me jump on the chair and curse like a mad: 4 musketmen, 4 hoplites, 1 sword, 1 longbow. And Pharsalos: 2 musketmen, 3 hoplites and some lesser scum.

Musketmen. Those vermins have discovered gunpowder, and have saltpeter.

The battle plan must be changed. I cannot sustain a combined attack on Sparta and Corinth. The risk of being repealed is too high, and a failed attack would be disastrous. Greeks forces would heal and upgrade more hoplites to muskets. And i would find myself short of troops for several turns.

Legions will head for Corinth, and reserve troops will be left on the area around Athens to defend our wine tiles and skirmish with greek troops approaching. I guess it won't be too easy to annex what is left of Greece.

Why Corinth and not Pharsalos? In both cases, my troops would be able to strike in 2 turns, and i'll negate to Alex the production outcome of a core city. The reason is that, by conquering Corinth, i will free Alexandria from its cultural pressure. This will allow me to disengage many of the troops stationed in on around that city.

War is declared.

16 legion divisions are sent toward Corinth.

550AD: There is no greek skirmish, but 3 hoplites invade my territory, occupying one of my wine tiles next to Athens. More hoplites are on a hill just north of my border - they're probably aiming at pillaging the floodplains of Athens. And to the south, a division of 5 hoplites cross my border south of Heliopolis and start venturing. My gem tiles are well protected for now, so i think i'll deal with them in the "normal" way.

First serious mistake of the game. I forgot to adjust the mood of the citizens of Athens and now they are in civil disorder, damn me! One productive turn lost.

Monty begs for peace. He has nothing worth extorting, so we'll stick with war a little time more.

My legions charges toward Corinth. As expected, those greek maggots have received some reinforcements. 1 musketman, 3 hoplites, 1 longbow and 1 archer defend the city. The cost of capturing Corinth is high: 6 legion company lost, another 5 wounded, and no barracks in that damned city! Healing will be slow.

A jag is spotted in the plain tile west of Corinth. I send a legion to kill him, then a pikemen to defend the wounded legionary... wait, why not an alliance with Monty? I would divert some of the greek troops from harassing Athens, and free myself of Aztec pukes threatening Corinth.

Ok, Monty. Let's be friend for now. I cease hostilities with him, then sign an alliance against Greece. He wants too much money, so i give him Education and grab a spice supply. Ok, he robbed me, but at least i got those lepers to do something useful. Even if he won't be loyal to the alliance, their Jags will be a nuisance for Alex at least for a while.

In the interturn, the greek forces harassing Athens don't pillage my wine tile and move north instead. I spot some hoplites in the Greek territory moving in the same direction. Good. Monty must have sent some Jags killing around. It was a good idea to bring him on the fight. But the invasion from south starts to worry me. 6 hoplites and 1 archer. Damn Alex! All those damned troops, where in the hell they come from?

In the New World, Bob of the Iroquois and Jason of Babylon have finally made peace.

In the shot, the southern part of the New World. Small landmasses, mostly undeveloped. No city past size 6. The only productive cities appear to be the 2 persian settlements of Tarsus and Antioch.

Next play session NOW! - Don't miss the soon-to-come update, folks!

Attachments

• UglyStart14.jpg
    UglyStart14.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,533
Tricky, this is the most entertaining thread I've read on any forum anywhere. I don't have a copy of civ right now so this is somewhat diminishing y cravings....but also addig to them. It is soooo hard to find a copy for the Mac. Anyway, keep it coming

560AD - Readjusting our plans

I need Engineering, and maybe it's the right time to buy it. I had in mind to extort from Greeks at the end of the war, but since thew know Gunpowder, Engineering has become a quite backward techs. Its price should be affordable now.

Alas, none of the New World pukes know it. I must buy it from America. Surprisingly, Abe is willing to accept trade goods and gpt for it. My trade reputation is still intact! I thought it was toast when cultural growth of Thermopylae blocked my communication line with Aztland and so my trade with Monty ended abruptly. It's obvious that such an interruption doesn't count as a rep hit. Good for me.

Now the question is: should i supply iron to Abe? He would be able to build Pukemen and Knights, but he'll probably get it anyway in a few turn, once a harbor in Miami is completed. Assuming this, it would be advantageous to sign a supply agreement before Miami gets connected to the rest of America.

Wait... this is the obvious reasoning when fighting against a human player, but my opponents is an AS, let's spy on Miami to see what's going on. For only 45 bucks, i can afford it... It's building a library! What idiocy. But he also lacks horses. Without them he cannot train Knights anyway, and i am the only one who has an excess of horses to sell. So if i give him iron it won't be so bad. All what he would get is the ability to train Pukemen, and there's the possibility that he already knows Gunpowder...

A decision must be taken. Engineering for iron, gems, wines and 13 gpt. The deal is made.

Corinth is reinforced. Yes, i know it's at risk of flipping. But i need to quell resistance. Seriously wounded troop are sent to heal in Athens and Alexandria. Some hoplites are bombed with catapults, but the majority of the shots fail to hit the target. Better not anger the RNG gods. No direct attacking now.

In the interturn, a greek longbow attack a legion. The greek dog is redlined but wins. And Mario of the Persians declare on Bob. Fool.

570AD - More green scumbags come to harass my land. Skirmishes follow. I lose 2 legions and 1 archer, but manage kill 3 hoplites and the longbowman i redlined before. The great event is that i popped i leader! I'll use it to build a legion army, it will be useful against those pesky musketmen.

In the following turns, nothing much happens. I set up a blockade on the Thermopylae border to prevent harassing from greek slimes. Corinth is still resisting, those morons are damn hard to be quelled! Garrisoned troops are too few to enact my "good rule" and i cannot risk anger the RNG gods more. So i leave 1 lousy troop in the town and 3 more legions just outside. It's a risky business anyway, since a flip would cause my trade route to America to be interrupted and i don't know if such event would cause a rep hit.

Skirmishes have been quite successful. I killed 4 hoplites, 1 musket and 1 longbow, and i lost only 1 legion. Again, who said catapult are useless?

Today's shot is a collage. Top image: stacks of harassing greek troops around Athens. Bottom image: the blockade set up to prevent greek infiltrations from Thermopylae

Next playing session tonight. It's work time now :(

Attachments

• UglyStart15.jpg
    UglyStart15.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,440
Tricky, thats for the story, as a new player, I am learning heaps from your posts. Keep them up.

Once again, i want to thank everyone who posted here to give me suggestions on how to progress or to simply invite me to go on with the story. By reading your feedback, i have realized that this thread is not only entertaining, but also a learning tool for some players.

By telling the story, i'm trying to describe not only my actions, but also the strategic decisions and considerations which lead me to act that way (with some poetic licenses, of course :D). This game is really my biggest challenge ever. And, for the first time, i'm feeling that i have high chances to win.

However, troubles are far from over. To cite a poster's words:
xiaoafei said:
to take the city is much easier than to keep it. the culture is the key.
This is precisely the trouble i'm having with Corinth. In the first 2 turns of the occupation, not a single lousy citizen has been quelled! And Greece still has a culture that is 4.5 times mine. Corinth is quite prone to flipping, and it probably will in the next turns, if i'm not quick enough in conquering Sparta.

I don't know if i have cut off the greek supply of saltpeter. If they were buying from America, they're toast now, since the alliance with Aztecs cut off the trade route between Abe and Alex. But if they still have it, recapturing a flipped city will be more difficult.

Usually, in my games i pay more attention to culture. But in THIS game, in order to survive i was forced to spend almost my entire production outcome to crank up the military. In my initial expansion phase i was able to build only 2 cities, in a space normally fitted for one. Every other course of action would have me led to failure.

My goal is to win by domination (What else, Pinky? :evil: ). If i succeed, i would have shown that Deity games can be won even with a starting point so discouraging as mine.

Finally, a thank to all the lurkers. The view count is already over 3000. Honestly, i didn't think this thread would become so popular. All this attention you are showing for my story is a further motivation to go on with it.

See ya soon guyz. Stay tuned for the next update!

I would halt growth of the occupied towns, and build workers until they're size 1. I don't really remember vanilla (this is vanilla, right?), but I think that those workers would be without upkeep cost, just as captured workers. Besides, this greatly diminished the chance of flipping (every foreign citizen counts as a tile under foreign control).

Top Bottom