Now, who is Decius!??

I had Decius, the Good leader of the Calabim, founding the Order in my last game... He's definitely an intriguing character.

Does anyone remember if there is any group of nine (or ten) creatures in Erebus?

No, I think he meant the prefix "dec," meaning 10

It's a good idea...I'd like your thoughts on why he can't be a Lanun leader...

One of the things I always thought telling about the civs with only one leader is that they were the ones so incredibly dominated by that one personality (Cardith, Varn, the three angels, Faeryl, Auric) that to imagine the civ without the leader would be well-nigh impossible. So Decius of the Malakim is interesting to me...

Are you trying to figure out which nine the guild of nine is about?

What the reverend said, but now that you mentioned it, might there be a connection? It certainly fits in with the mercenary theory.

It's a good idea...I'd like your thoughts on why he can't be a Lanun leader...

Similar to the Doviello. They're too wild in spirit, too unlikely to give in to a single king, especially some landlubber. Falamar rules by charm, Hannah by fear, and both by being some of the best captains on the sea.

From what I gather, Decius is like a FfH [wiki]Alcibiades[/wiki], only with a Roman name.

Wow. I think you're on to something. That guy's got a a pretty awesome life story, by the way.

Decius probably served as a Bannor general and drove an aggressive plan, and tried to get the nation to invade other nations, or something. Then he got chased away by his political enemies, forced to flee. Found the nomads of Malakim. Tried to get them to fight the Bannor, being succesful at first, Bannor diplomats made the Malakim see the true side of Decius and he had to flee again. Decius finds the newly established Calabim, quickly befriends Alexis and Flauros. Becomes their top general, and receives the "gift".

I don't think that Bannor/Order society really allow for the existence of Political rivalries, but the Overcouncil certainly does.

To me it seems more likely that he started out Malakim, and studies under a famed Empyrean Philosopher (cf. Alcibiades study under Socrates). He was probably more politically than philosophically skilled though, and used his mental prowess and rhetorical skill honed in discourse with the masters to gain political power instead of emlightenment. I see him as becoming a dominant personality of the Overcouncil during time of war against some evil, and/or perhaps the Commander of the Joint Forces of the Overcouncil's member civs. He loved war and (especially) his position of command more than the principles of Truth and Justice that the Empyrean/Malakim held dear. Some evil civ tried probably to surrender. The Malakim/Empyrean wanted to show mercy, but Bannor/Order didn't trust the terms of this surrender. This split the council, and may have lead to actual combat between its member civs. Decius saw his power depended on war, and so betrayed his desert people to lead the Bannor in their unrelenting crusades. While the Bannor may have been right and their enemy unrepentant, I suspect this was during a dark period of Bannor history. This is probably when the Church of Junil was corrupt, and devoted to hunting down all true believers. Decius was probably important in this persecution. He probably convinced the Calabim to join The (corrupted) Order to aide their conquest of righteous peoples. In this period, the Bannor were beginning to take their orders from the Undercouncil. Eventually, this corruption was revealed and Decius was deposed by Valin Phanuel (or his followers, maybe after the leader was martyred). Decius then fled to his Calabim allies, and was probably eventually given "the gift."

There may be more chapters in this story though, perhaps involving being a double, triple, or quadruple agent for the Overcouncil and Undercouncil. Perhaps no one really knows where his allegiance truly lied. He was probably trying to play both sides.

Fascinating take, Magistre. But then, why would Decius be listed right under the Bannor leaders if he wasn't originally one of them? I'd think, rather than Malakim, he was a Bannor, only less idealistic (like Amelanchier and Thessa are for the Ljosalfar).

Fascinating take, Magistre. But then, why would Decius be listed right under the Bannor leaders if he wasn't originally one of them? I'd think, rather than Malakim, he was a Bannor, only less idealistic (like Amelanchier and Thessa are for the Ljosalfar).

Listed where?

I'd guess the answer to your question though is probably pretty simple: Alphabetical Order.

When you start a custom game, Decius is between Capria and Varn.

And isn't it easier to believe that Decius/Alcibiades was found guilty of being somewhat too unorthodox towards the Order (emphasis on law, just like in Athens) rather than the Empyrean (emphasis on wisdom, just like Socrates' preachings)? Mind, my only exception to your reconstruction is precisely making him first of all a Malakim instead of a Bannor.

I guess so. That wouldn't be "political rivalries" though. In that case, he would basically be another Rosier the Fallen.

How would he end up a Malakim leader though? I guess I could see an Order crusader man who failed to live up to the letter of the law finding a safe haven among the Empyrean, but I don't really think it is likely that such a man would rise to prominence there. In my version he wasn't banished or found guilty by the Malakim though, he simply chose to side against them.

The main reason I chose Malakim->Bannor->Calabim though is that going from Bannor to Calabim seems a much more likely transition than Malakim to Calabim. If he had started as a Bannor and sought refuge from the wise man of the Calabim then I'd tend to emphasize with him much more (the Order laws were probably unfair to begin with), and find the defection to the Calabim hard to understand. Going straight from light to darkness seems less likely than falling slowly into corruption and fanaticism.

I guess I could try to come up with a scenario where he didn't end up Calabim, in which case he could turn to the Empyrean eventually and be redeemed. Of course, not allowing such redemption would probably fit better in a dark fantasy. I don't really see him as being that Heroic. Also, if he was the leader of the Calabim he almost certainly became a Vampire. The desert sun would probably be too much for him then, and I don't think there is a cure for Vampirism.

What are the odds that right now, Decius is nobody and They're waiting for this conversation to pick the best role for him?

I don't think that's true.

I can wait patiently until Ice to find out. Although, I have wondered what "The Nine" refers to, assuming it's not the Nine Divines of Tamriel, or, ironically, the Catonsville Nine.

i agree with magister, its alphabetical from good-neutral-evil

Top Bottom