1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Now, who is Decius!??

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Slvynn, May 25, 2008.

1. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

What you don't do that? When GMing pen-and-paper RPGs, I was told it was easier to create a mystery, let the players create an elaborate explanation for how and why, then just nod and congratulate them on their cleverness in figuring it out. (No, I'm not kidding.)

In fact, I did do something like this once. That game I had concocted an elaborate evil conspiracy, and the players were slowly unraveling it (as they should). However, one of them realized the implications of some plot elements I had missed and so deduced that the conspiracy was even more evil and far-ranged than I had intended. Naturally, he and the other players immediately thought this was the original plan of the cabal all along. Since it was so much better than what I had planned, I changed course on the spot.

2. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Oh, plenty of times, but Kael has the scenarios already outlined before the speculation started, and the 3 main story paths moreso.
    No one's saying good stuff couldn't be added, though.

3. Morni

Morni Chieftain

I do exactly that regularly, especially since I just can't be bothered with planning everything in detail. It's much easier to just improvise when someone else is doing the improvisation ;)

4. ÆNEAS

ÆNEAS Chieftain

I have a feeling Sofista was on to something with Alcibiades. Here's my take: Decius was probably one of the Bannor's greatest leaders, but also a bit of a non-conformist. At some point, he does a mockery of Order rites while drunk (maybe pretending to be the "non-existent" Sabathiel - I wonder how many people actually come into contact with him - or another important religious figure).

Forced to flee, he heads to Malakim lands, as they are open to refugees. There, he manages to act like a perfect Malakim and rise through the ranks to be one of their main leaders. Everything is going well until he begins a relationship with Talia Gosam (hey, we know she's a little loose) and runs afoul of Varn.

Forced to flee, you have the choice returning to the Bannor and braving any harsh consequences or joining the Calabim, whom the Bannor (or Malakim) were fighting against at the time. The final scenario has you playing as the Bannor against the Calabim, either as Decius or against him. Upon completing the scenario, it gives you the option of playing the final battle again, but as Decius and the Calabim.

5. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Correction: Sofista was the one to bring up the comparison to Alcibiades originally.

6. ÆNEAS

ÆNEAS Chieftain

Oh, sorry, thanks for catching that. It has been fixed.

7. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

It is actually a honor... Magister is as close to ipse dixit status as one can be without actually being in the team as is possible :)

8. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

"All people are equal, but some are more equal then others" sorta how i think of MC as a mind reader and craves to share with us. (he is the more equal part but does not abuse his position, which makes him even cooler)

9. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

I would say Decius should be the mercenary king, completely neutral, worships no gods, simply fighting for whoever pays him gold. A Hippus legend if I can see one.

10. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Note: I might be pratteling madness with this, I haven't maneged to play .32 yet, so please be indulgent.
    Fromwhat I've read in the Forum's concerning Decius, his story might follow thus: Decius was one of the greatest Generals of the Bannor not to have survived hell. He lead the Bannor to victories rivaled only by Capria herself. Some people even thought him immortal. However, even the greatest hero has flaws. Decius was ambitius, but that was exeptable. Until Pavu'nar. Decius conviced Capria that their situation could be improved in the world by stricking the Calabim, that weakening their power would allow Cardith Lorda's forces(Alexis and Flauros having a deep hated of the boy kiing or the Kuriotate) to aid the Bannor in their stuggles. Capria was persuaded. So the Bannor army, with Decius at it's head, set out for Pau'nar, and from there, Acaia. Apon arriving at Pavu'nar, they found three Calabim Ger\meral (Sheol, Perdion and Losha Valas) incommand of an approcimatly equally matched for. With strokes of Genius, Decius difeted the Calabim Army, and entered the town undefended. The Bannor celibrated their victory(at Decius's encoragment). In the morning, allmost all the Bannor were dead, posioned by the food, water and wine of the town. Decius knew it was he that had incoraged the celbration that had resulted in the death so many men, knew he would probably be exicuted by the Bannor, so he fled. He fled to court in Prespur, and once their, managed to purswaed Flauros and Alexis to let him design plans to strike back at the Bannor. So great were his successes, that he was "gifted'.
    Decius was the second greatest Clabim genral ever, second only to his archrival Losha Valas. So great was their rivalry, that Decius axepted Loashas's challenge to destroy either the Bannor or the Malikim from the inside. The Bannor know and hate him, but the sun in the Malaki desert could prove to much for a vampire. So now, he will have to chose which proverbial dragon's lair to enter. And once in, will he be able to resiste the temptation to betraye his current side again?

11. darkyxinhow

darkyxinhow Chieftain

I don't really know if this'd make any difference about Decius story, but I can't imagine a good leader pretending to be evil. You can PICK his alignment, and I think there is only one reason for it: he's truely commited only to his personal goals. It's not the same thing as starting out with a different alignment to each one of the civs, you are actually able to choose your path within 3 different civs. If he was an originally good (or even not that good at all that) leader that got corrupted with time, you wouldn't be able to pick his alignment.

I was very surprised to notice that Decius was able to pick his alignment and lead 3 different civs, so I rushed to this forum; I had never even opened this section before. So I'm taking a completely wild guess here, as I'm completely IGNORANT to FFH's lore, but based on what I've read here, Kael's post that seemed to be quite ignored about calabim and malakim conflicts, and the tip on the "Against the Grey" scenario: perhaps Decius is a Calabim general or leader (yes, a vampire!) that got involved (or was orderred to) in a dispute with the Sidar, and figured the best opportunity to defeat them would be infiltrating amongst the Malakim or the Bannor leaderships and incitating them against the Sidar. After all, they both are religious fanatics in different ways, and, although the Sidar aren't demons or destruction lovers like the Infernals or the Sheaim, they are "ghosts", fact which also doesn't come along with the "stepping into the light" or "unquestioning heavenly obedience" politics. And I'd say that the duel between the Sidar and the Calabim was caused by "food". =p

12. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Ya, I might be wrong, but I did say that Decius might find that he actually is good, or he might be trying to effect the Bannor or Malikim(hope I spelt it right) for so that they might be weak againts the Calabim(only in the scenario's) or in order to spit the Calacim, like maybe Losha Valas.
    Say, was the other army at the battle of Pavu'nar ever identified, because if it was, well, my story would have to change.

13. rocklikeafool

rocklikeafool Warmaster

So, the long and the short of it is Decius changed allegiances sometime and can be any of the three alignments. Ok, so, his story is similar to Alcibiades. This all makes lotta sense, man.

14. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Kael has confirmed that the story of Decius is not a redemption but his fall.

15. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

Judging by the fact we have a choice which will allow us to go from good to good or good to evil, I think it could be fall or not.

16. smjjames

smjjames Chieftain

you mean evil to good, not good to good.

Anyways, I think maybe he is not actually a leader of the Calabim and the real ones are Bannor and Malakim. The main reason is because his diplomacy preferences don't really match that of an inherently evil civ/leader or the Calabim for one.

17. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I think he actual meant Neutral to Good or Neutral to Evil

18. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Why? The civs are Bannor, Malakim, and Calabim. So the only logically possible choices are good to good, good to evil, or evil to good, depending on how it plays out...
    edit: Or wait, Magister is probably refering to the "choose alignment" event in game. That makes sense.

19. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Kael refered to the story of Decius as a fall in the Fall from Heaven? Whose??? Thread post 12 just for reference.

20. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Here Kael refers to Decius's story as a Metaphorical Fall from Heaven.