1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Now, who is Decius!??

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Slvynn, May 25, 2008.

1. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

But we clearly have a choice, so we must have a chance to escape falling.

2. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Not necessarily. The choice might be turned off in the scenarios. Maybe Kael just wants us to get used to him having different alignments. He may be always good in his first appearance, neutral in his second, and Evil in his last.

3. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

4. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

5. El_Duderino

El_Duderino Chieftain

well there was the corrupt order so it could still be bannor as evil and the calabim as the slightly less evil (which is good in this mod)

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Isnt the Bannor Decius Neutral? I know the Calabim one is Evil and I am geussing the Malakim one would be Good.

How it appears to me is that Decius was a Malakim general that became convinced that the Empyrean wasnt doing enough to stop evil. He tried to take control of the Overcouncil and turn it more militant. He was then either overthrown/exiled and fled to the militant Bannor. In the Bannor he was hailed as a hero, but eventually he became accustome to people waiting at his beck and call, creating a serfdom where he was served. Then someone came to the Bannor who then overthrew him. Wanting to remain a master of people, and perhaps wanting to spite the Malakim who caused him to fall, he fled to the Calabim where he became a 'gifted' general.

7. ius_iurandi

ius_iurandi Chieftain

I don't think we're looking at this progression correctly. The discussion mainly revolves around his path through three civs, though we know he will only play for two in the scenarios. That being the case, there are two possiblities:

Decius starts out as Bannor and has to choose between Malakim and Calabim, or

Decius starts out as Malakim and has to choose between Bannor and Calabim

If Decius starts out as Bannor, I see this as the probable story: General Decius is a brilliant tactician and warrior who makes enemies among the Bannor for his ambition. He must flee the Bannor, either driven out by the corrupt Order, or after somehow commiting sacrilege. After his fall, he finds himself in the desert, swept up into a war - and he must decide who to lead to victory. (Very temptation of Christ in the desert, with a little money-changers-in-the-temple thrown in)

If he starts out as Malakim, he could have a very deterministic fall. Supposingly fighting for wisdom and justice, he grows addicted to his bloodlust, and makes war, not for the sake of the Good, but for the sake of the battle. After revolting the Malakim with some atrocity, he is exiled/escapes death, and either betrays them directly by leading the Calabim, or leads the Bannor. As leader of the Bannor, if the Order is already corrupt, he simply attempts to destroy his former nation. Or he could be a corrupting agent, manipulating the Bannor into attacking nations that simply aren't Order, rather than evil nations. (e.g. Why Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists attack Christians and moderate Muslims instead of Satanists - play on the arrogance of narcissism, and anyone can become the Great Satan)

Since Decius's story is confirmed to be a "Fall from Heaven", I didn't include any obviously redemptive arcs. Actually, with that logic, I suppose you could throw out his start as a Bannor General, since the possiblity of redemption exists with the Malakim, barring a web of corruption and deception I can't imagine.

8. kenken244

kenken244 Grammar Nazi

The divided soul has a Pedia entry about Decius.

9. Corlis

Corlis Chieftain

I think we now know his motive in the 'Against the Grey' scenario now. :mischief:

10. BugReportage

BugReportage Chieftain

Decius somewhat reminds me of Kylorin becoming a king then falling from his throne and ascending to another just as fast. :king:

11. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Maybe Decius IS... <_< >_> Ky- *killed by the FFH secret police*

12. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Can someone post the pedia entry? I can't get .34 for a while because of computer trouble :(.

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Here it is:

14. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

well, well, well... reading that, it's obvious decius is much more powerful than i expected...

that kind of makes me beleive decius may be Kylorin... (or a refallen Kylorin...)

15. DioBrando

DioBrando Chieftain

Guild of the nine, as mentioned before; BUT!

How about
    Spoiler :
    Ride of the nine kings
    ?

16. das

das Regeneration In Process

The Tenth and Final King!

As a military commander who is apparently good enough to earn the respect of the Bannor and capable of surviving amongst Calabim aristocracy, I think he pretty much had to be. That said, his specific powers are a bit surprising, though they do make sense for someone who had "slain apparitions". All in all it seems that he might also be an arch-enemy of the Sidar who manipulates everybody else in order to destroy Sandalphon. Just a crazy thought, though.

Also, I think it's pretty much assured now that he was with the Bannor first, and then at least temporarily went over to the Malakim:

17. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

if he were a sworn enemy of the Sidar though, I guess he would know very well what a Divided Soul is ;)

18. orangelex44

orangelex44 Partisan

It doesn't really say that he's a sworn enemy; to me it implies more that the Sidar are working to kill heroes as that guy usurping Arawn wants. Decius has no argument against the Sidar, really.

19. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Agreed. He seems more curious then anything. "Who are you, and why did you want to kill me?" not "die, Sidar dog!" Whether the underworld's usurper is involved or not remains to be seen, but clearly the Sidar would rather him in the realm of the dead than that of the living. It's likely Decius didn't even consider the Sidar as part of the political picture. "You aren't the one I expected." He had an army, but it seems more likely they were marching off to face some third party, and the Sidar simply decided to eliminate Decius for some reason.

20. Tyrs

Tyrs Chieftain

Plus he didn't do anything super powerful. Decius just broke the Divided Soul's concentration by shoving a torch to his chest.