1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

From the video you see Nubia placing the wonder on a desert hill tyle so probably that's the specific placement

Guandao likes this.
  2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

So the Scenario included with Nubia is called Gift of the Nile?
    I wonder if they have groups like the Libu (Libyans), and Hyksos (or Canaanites in general) in the scenario. Even the "Sea Peoples". It would make it more interesting.

nzcamel, WillowBrook and Zaarin like this.
  3. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Warlord

I was going on the news item which said we'd be getting 3 leaders, representing Africa & SE Asia....though I did miss the bit where they said it was across 2 seperate DLC. However 3 leaders suggeste that at least 1 DLC will consist of 2 Civs. I hope its this one.

Hawke9 likes this.
  4. Amrunril

Amrunril Warlord

I rewatched the video, and the tooltip on the Masonry tech shows the bonus changing based on the district type (+1 science for campus, +1 gold for commercial hub, etc.) The view with the tile yields showed one next to a holy site, so it got additional faith.

Right, I think it's now clear that it wasn't their reason, but I do think it's an obvious option to add once you start distinguishing civ abilities from leader abilities (it would allow a virtually limitless selection of factions, some of them with interesting new synergies). I've maintained some hope that they'll enable this in an expansion (as an advanced setup option, as there would be obvious balance issues), but leader abilities like Jadawiga's and Amanitore's, that explicitly depend on civ abilities, are a clear step in the opposite direction.

5. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

I wouldn't get your hopes up. For now, I'm assuming that this 3rd leader is just an alt for a pre-existing civilisation, or for the one that will be added in the next DLC. From a marketing point of view, it would have been more beneficial to say "3 civilisations" if this indeed is to be the case. But as they didn't, I'm reserving my anticipation for 1 civ and 1 alt leader in DLC6.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Chieftain

So which of these tiles would be the TSL of Nubia?

upload_2017-7-25_18-37-32.png

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I like "Scarborough Fair"...just not the arrangement that accompanies Vickie. :p Aside from "Waltzing Matilda" and Kongo's theme, I think it's the only song in the game I simply don't like; Brazil's and Germany's themes can get trying after a while, though.

In other words, the YouTube comment section were behaving like the YouTube comment section. ;) The YouTube comment section makes Facebook look tame and almost approaches the toxicity of Twitter. :p

8. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

Ottokar II would be especially interesting in Civ VI considering he was a grandson of Frederick Barbarossa!

9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I can also easily think of name of his Agenda or Ability - "the Iron and Golden King".

I just imagined how would it look if they met and one declared war on the other. That would be truly a lovely family reunion. After all, they were both great warriors.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    DeutschDachs likes this.
  10. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Roughly that tile northwest of the mountain, I think.

11. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

under the tile with the mountain.

Also back to topic:

I have the feeling that Shaka and his Impi will not appear in Civ 6.
    The UU of Nubia has a movement bonus and is a ranged attack unit. Also they get faster experience from battles. These boni were very similar to those boni the Impi could get.

I will miss Shaka and the Zulu but hope for his comeback in Civ7 within the vanilla version.

tmacdec likes this.
  12. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Also it is not the only Australian song you have didgeridoos and 'click go the shears'

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  13. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

I certainly wouldn't mind if they threw some Tame Impala in for the Australian theme :mischief:

Hawke9, CivLuvah and ferretbacon like this.
  14. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Indeed. But, it is pretty transparent that to sell DLC they make the new civilizations over-powered. Poor, poor France, Norway and Spain.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I wouldn't strike him out just yet- Shaka is more associated with short stabbing spears than the javelins seen in Civ V. If I were to design a Zulu Civ, I'd make them fast melee units with flanking bonuses.

16. earlc

earlc Chieftain

Back from work and even more excited now. Concerning the balance - it might have already been mentioned, but due to the increased cost of the UU it'll build about as fast as archers normally build anyway. Could still get some slingers up and going pretty quickly though, and if the bonus to production only applies to archer-class units it's a good boon up to the machine gun era. If it applies to bombard type units too though, that sounds OP.

The bonuses to construction are pretty significant, too, and potentially an aid towards any type of victory. The 40% bonus only works if your city is by desert or floodplains, but that's more than plenty. Still, Nubia doesn't get Egypt's wonder production bonus, though that can't always come in handy anyway.

Given the specificity of some of the bonuses, I don't think it's necessarily OP or un-nuanced. People may be overestimating the usefulness of desert biomes.

Good to hear youtube's still a cesspool I guess.

Zaarin likes this.
  17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Good thing YouTube's Restricted Mode automatically blocks the comments section, even if the video otherwise isn't blocked.

YouTube comments can be very vile.

18. AwesomDude3

AwesomDude3 Chieftain

I'm pumped for Nubia and the new scenario. Since a livestream of The Gift of the Nile is dropping tomorrow, the reveal of the Egyptian alternate leader is likely. Who do you guys think will lead Egypt or maybe some other existing civilization?

19. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

If the Impi is a spearmen replacement the African continent has just ancient UU´s because Carthage and Egypt also have those.
    Of course it would be a shame if Shaka is missing in Civ6.

20. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Chieftain

OK, so they'll be competing with Egypt for floodplains then. Egypt to plant Sphinxes and Nubia to plant pyramids.