Nubia First Look

So the Scenario included with Nubia is called Gift of the Nile?
I wonder if they have groups like the Libu (Libyans), and Hyksos (or Canaanites in general) in the scenario. Even the "Sea Peoples". It would make it more interesting.

I was going on the news item which said we'd be getting 3 leaders, representing Africa & SE Asia....though I did miss the bit where they said it was across 2 seperate DLC. However 3 leaders suggeste that at least 1 DLC will consist of 2 Civs. I hope its this one.

It looked to me, based on the yields in the video, that it got +1 Faith and +1 additional Faith for each adjacent district, plus +1 Food for an adjacent city center. Does everyone else see that, or am I wrong?

I rewatched the video, and the tooltip on the Masonry tech shows the bonus changing based on the district type (+1 science for campus, +1 gold for commercial hub, etc.) The view with the tile yields showed one next to a holy site, so it got additional faith.

Given that mismatched leaders and civs isn't yet an option in game, I don't think that's what they had in mind at all when they introduced multiple leaders. Rather, different leaders emphasising different play styles around the same core abilities, and better enabling themselves and modders to add extra leaders (which was popular in the Civ V Steam Workshop but not well-supported by the game itself).

Right, I think it's now clear that it wasn't their reason, but I do think it's an obvious option to add once you start distinguishing civ abilities from leader abilities (it would allow a virtually limitless selection of factions, some of them with interesting new synergies). I've maintained some hope that they'll enable this in an expansion (as an advanced setup option, as there would be obvious balance issues), but leader abilities like Jadawiga's and Amanitore's, that explicitly depend on civ abilities, are a clear step in the opposite direction.

I was going on the news item which said we'd be getting 3 leaders, representing Africa & SE Asia....though I did miss the bit where they said it was across 2 seperate DLC. However 3 leaders suggeste that at least 1 DLC will consist of 2 Civs. I hope its this one.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. For now, I'm assuming that this 3rd leader is just an alt for a pre-existing civilisation, or for the one that will be added in the next DLC. From a marketing point of view, it would have been more beneficial to say "3 civilisations" if this indeed is to be the case. But as they didn't, I'm reserving my anticipation for 1 civ and 1 alt leader in DLC6.

So which of these tiles would be the TSL of Nubia?

upload_2017-7-25_18-37-32.png

I actually quite like Scarborough Fair, but I agree that Waltzing Matilda repeated ad nauseam can be... taxing on one's nerves.
I like "Scarborough Fair"...just not the arrangement that accompanies Vickie. :p Aside from "Waltzing Matilda" and Kongo's theme, I think it's the only song in the game I simply don't like; Brazil's and Germany's themes can get trying after a while, though.

According to Civ redditors, the Youtube response to Amanitore/Nubia has been quite horrid, with racist, sexist or fat-shaming comments....:rolleyes:
In other words, the YouTube comment section were behaving like the YouTube comment section. ;) The YouTube comment section makes Facebook look tame and almost approaches the toxicity of Twitter. :p

Charles IV is indeed a good choice. He was the first king of Bohemia to become the Holy Roman Emperor and during his reign, Bohemia was centre of trade, culture and sciences. He was a great builder - he brought there Gothic style from France and he founded the oldest university in Central Europe, Charles Bridge, Karlštejn Castle, Karlovy Vary, he ordered creation of the Crown of Saint Wenceslaus, the most important of Bohemian crown jewels. In television poll "Největší Čech" (the Greatest Czech), he gained the first place.
I would also welcome Wenceslaus II, who also became king of Poland and gained the title of the king of Hungary for his son, or Ottokar II, great diplomat and conqueror who made Bohemia a very wealthy and powerful country and lands of Bohemia were reaching to the Adriatic sea. He was one of the strongest european kings in his time.

Shame that there is no mod for Bohemia yet.
Ottokar II would be especially interesting in Civ VI considering he was a grandson of Frederick Barbarossa!

Ottokar II would be especially interesting in Civ VI considering he was a grandson of Frederick Barbarossa!
I can also easily think of name of his Agenda or Ability - "the Iron and Golden King".

I just imagined how would it look if they met and one declared war on the other. That would be truly a lovely family reunion. After all, they were both great warriors.

Last edited:
So which of these tiles would be the TSL of Nubia?

under the tile with the mountain.

Also back to topic:

I have the feeling that Shaka and his Impi will not appear in Civ 6.
The UU of Nubia has a movement bonus and is a ranged attack unit. Also they get faster experience from battles. These boni were very similar to those boni the Impi could get.

I will miss Shaka and the Zulu but hope for his comeback in Civ7 within the vanilla version.

Maybe its just the Aussie in me, but I have no problem with Civ6's take on Waltzing Matilda :).

Also it is not the only Australian song you have didgeridoos and 'click go the shears'

Indeed, variety is what makes the game interesting; there can never be too many civs.

Indeed. But, it is pretty transparent that to sell DLC they make the new civilizations over-powered. Poor, poor France, Norway and Spain.

under the tile with the mountain.

Also back to topic:

I have the feeling that Shaka and his Impi will not appear in Civ 6.
The UU of Nubia has a movement bonus and is a ranged attack unit. Also they get faster experience from battles. These boni were very similar to those boni the Impi could get.

I will miss Shaka and the Zulu but hope for his comeback in Civ7 within the vanilla version.
I wouldn't strike him out just yet- Shaka is more associated with short stabbing spears than the javelins seen in Civ V. If I were to design a Zulu Civ, I'd make them fast melee units with flanking bonuses.

Back from work and even more excited now. Concerning the balance - it might have already been mentioned, but due to the increased cost of the UU it'll build about as fast as archers normally build anyway. Could still get some slingers up and going pretty quickly though, and if the bonus to production only applies to archer-class units it's a good boon up to the machine gun era. If it applies to bombard type units too though, that sounds OP.

The bonuses to construction are pretty significant, too, and potentially an aid towards any type of victory. The 40% bonus only works if your city is by desert or floodplains, but that's more than plenty. Still, Nubia doesn't get Egypt's wonder production bonus, though that can't always come in handy anyway.

Given the specificity of some of the bonuses, I don't think it's necessarily OP or un-nuanced. People may be overestimating the usefulness of desert biomes.

According to Civ redditors, the Youtube response to Amanitore/Nubia has been quite horrid, with racist, sexist or fat-shaming comments....:rolleyes:
Good to hear youtube's still a cesspool I guess.

I'm pumped for Nubia and the new scenario. Since a livestream of The Gift of the Nile is dropping tomorrow, the reveal of the Egyptian alternate leader is likely. Who do you guys think will lead Egypt or maybe some other existing civilization?

I wouldn't strike him out just yet- Shaka is more associated with short stabbing spears than the javelins seen in Civ V. If I were to design a Zulu Civ, I'd make them fast melee units with flanking bonuses.

If the Impi is a spearmen replacement the African continent has just ancient UU´s because Carthage and Egypt also have those.
Of course it would be a shame if Shaka is missing in Civ6.

Top Bottom