Nubia First Look

Does anyone think that they may release another first look tomorrow like they did with Macedon and Persia? I am hoping they do.

Does anyone think that they may release another first look tomorrow like they did with Macedon and Persia? I am hoping they do.
It depends on whether the DLC has someone else, like second Egypt leader. otherwise we have to wait.

They released both of those First Looks days prior to the livestream. This time the livestream is tomorrow.

There are no direct bonuses for religious victory. And, honestly it's quite hard on high difficulty levels, because getting religion is really hard, unless you play Arabia.

First, getting a religion is not THAT hard even at diety if you work on that. If you want to play a more peaceful game, for Nubia you can just pop a Nubian Pyramid then build a holy site adjacent to it at 40% production bonus, and get one city keeps praying. If you want to focus on early expansion and archer rush, just rush the neighbor that has holy sites built for you.

The Nubian Pyramids generate faith. I don't know how much, but based on the track record which always favors the DLC civs, I bet 2 faith per pyramid to start and even more later. If you have 8-10 cities and each gives you 4-6 additional faith, this will be very handy to buy apostles for religious vicitory.

I do agree that religious victory is not ALWAYS achievable. In fact I never target this and focus on taking out my closest neighbour and see what happens. If I get holy sites early and also get some good faith generating/saving pantheons and beliefs then I may consider. Nubia seems to favor domination. Assuming that I can't found a religion, the faith is still useful to buy units once theocracy is adopted. Use them to buy siege units to work with the highly promoted crossbows will easily achieve the second expansion.

I still think it's somewhat OP. And comparing to those military only civs, the cheaper districts, more productive strategic mines and more gold from luxuries all allow an easier peaceful game, so it is pretty versatile as well.

I wonder what does the new Wonder, Jebel Barkal do? And does it have specific placement requirements?

Seems like they are adding wonders with the DLC civs. Except for Poland and Australia (but Sydney Opera House was already in vanilla). I'm expecting a new wonder from Southeast Asia with the next DLC, likely Angkor Wat or Borobudur. If it really is Indonesia, Borobudur will be a good fit.

Check out the blog on Civ6 website on Nubia.
https://www.civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-nubia-dlc-amanitore-first-look-new-civ

According to Civ redditors, the Youtube response to Amanitore/Nubia has been quite horrid, with racist, sexist or fat-shaming comments....:rolleyes:
Well... I dunno about the racist or sexist part... But don't you think that a person who is described as a warrior queen shouldn't be that fat? Imagine if they had depicted gorgo like that. I for one wish they'd made her a bit slimmer. After all... Other female leaders in the game (who were not warriors in the slightest and spent their time at feasts and balls Catherine for example likely would've been obese in real life) are not depicted with that much bulk.

May not be right, but it reminds me of Egyptian depictions of papyrus:

That's clearly early Egyptian Twitter - it shows him catching his lunch and
also contains the mandatory picture of his cat.

The Nubian Pyramids generate faith. I don't know how much, but based on the track record which always favors the DLC civs, I bet 2 faith per pyramid to start and even more later.

It generates 1 faith, plus bonuses for adjacent districts (food in case of city-center), so you could get 1 more faith if it's adjacent to Holy Site. I wouldn't say it's significant help to get religious victory.

It seems that Nubian Archer Rush is nothing better than American Archer Rush. Since the UU actually cost 50% more production than a normal archer.

Back from work and even more excited now. Concerning the balance - it might have already been mentioned, but due to the increased cost of the UU it'll build about as fast as archers normally build anyway. Could still get some slingers up and going pretty quickly though, and if the bonus to production only applies to archer-class units it's a good boon up to the machine gun era. If it applies to bombard type units too though, that sounds OP.
I don't think it applies to bombard units due to the fact that "Ranged" was capitalized in the ability description. It would indeed be overpowered. Looking more closely at the UU, it looks nice, but not overpowered. To summarize:
* Builds very slightly faster than an archer due to the 50% production bonus (93,33% of the time)
* 5 points higher ranged strength, 2 points higher melee strength
* 3 movement points instead of 2
This is all nice, but not overpowered. The extra combat strength is still way below crossbowmen, as it should be. The biggest advantage is probably the extra movement, which is potentially going to be very helpful both for offense and defence, as well as clearing out barbarians.

Overall, none of Nubia's abilities are overpowered on their own. What makes Nubia great though, in my opinion, is that all the bonuses are going to be useful, pretty much all of the time.
* You're always going to want archers and other ranged units, and having them build faster and upgrade faster is always nice
* Extra gold or production yields from mined resources are always going to be useful, especially in the early game, and you will pretty much always get some of these near your capital
* Districts are very important in this game, and a universal 20% bonus would have been great on its own. For cities founded next to a desert tile, this can be increased to a massive 40%. I don't think being next to a desert is all that bad in any case, as low yield tiles can still be valuable space for districts and wonders.
* The tile improvement is an early source of faith, which is nice. Its yields are somewhat complicated to estimate, but they can be nice. The theoretical max would be a +7 yield with 6 adjacent districts, although that is not likely to happen very often, and there are other considerations to make when placing districts. Still, I think this will be a nice improvement to drop here and there in suitable spots around your cities.

All of these abilities seem to be geared towards getting a good start, which will help you regardless of what type of victory you are going for. Accumulation of advantage is important in Civ 6.

Good points, but we have no idea how they'll show off an alt leader, since this is Civ VI's first non vanilla one. Do they get their own 'first look' video?

Whoever the alt leader is, they're going to be pretty special to be in a DLC. Either it's two people as one leader (Trung sisters) or the second leader has to come with a UU (like Teddy) or a very meaty LA.

Wasn't the tweet that mentioned three leaders removed? Do we even know for sure there will be three leaders total between the two DLCs?

I still feel that any more alt leaders will be saved for expansions. I could be wrong, of course, but it's just a gut feeling I have.

Actually it costs about 50% more than a normal archer, so you don't build them with a faster speed.
Only very slightly, as I said. You get 50% more production, which means you will build in 2/3 of the normal time. The base cost is increased from 50 to 70, which is a 40% increase. In sum, this means you build them in 14/15ths of the time you would build an archer (which is the same as 93,33% of the time).

A concrete example: Your city has 10 production. With the 50% bonus for ranged units, that is 15 production. If you were another civ, you would build an archer in 50/10 = 5 turns. Nubia will build their UU in 70/15 = 4,67 turns.

I also saw someone say that Firaxis should add an LGBT leader and I would say that is an amazing idea, sadly I dont really know any.
I don't really see how someone's sexuality is relevant to their ability to lead, especially considering that most of these leaders come from times where historical documentation on the matter would be painfully limited due to it being either
  • commonplace enough to not matter (there are quite a few of these, funny enough)
  • punishable by death, exile, or other manner of fun (and as such even if they were gay/bi we'd never know)
  • from a time period where historical documentation is, in general, painfully limited (see above)
Race is at least somewhat relevant to Civilization because some of these civilizations took places where other races are dominant. Sex is not inherently relevant to Civilization, but it's at least a visible trait and makes for a visually varied set of leaders to help disguise the fact that they're all treacherous lunatics. But even if some of these leaders turned out to be gay, it would not be reflected in their appearance (and if it was, would that be a good thing?), nor would it change gameplay in any meaningful way. I'm not even sure they can have it affect dialogue. I guess you could stuff it into a Leader Agenda, but that would be pretty pathetic -- even I try to avoid having my homosexuality as my defining principle, so having a world leader be represented by it would be pretty painful -- which leaves... what? An offhand mention in the flavor text, and maybe an achievement? Because as we all know it's great to reference someone's sexuality in the same place that Catherine the Great got her "My Little Pony" achievement. Classic stuff there.

I mean, if we get a leader that happens to be LGBT like ol' Freddy, then great, that's fine by me. But it seems like rather misplaced goodwill to seek them out, since there's not really any way to do anything with it, and it can be plausibly argued we've already got a few representatives anyway for all the good they do us. I'd rather they spend that time on stuff we need more critically to be honest, since lord knows there's plenty of that.

Only very slightly, as I said. You get 50% more production, which means you will build in 2/3 of the normal time. The base cost is increased from 50 to 70, which is a 40% increase. In sum, this means you build them in 14/15ths of the time you would build an archer (which is the same as 93,33% of the time).

A concrete example: Your city has 10 production. With the 50% bonus for ranged units, that is 15 production. If you were another civ, you would build an archer in 50/10 = 5 turns. Nubia will build their UU in 70/15 = 4,67 turns.

Plus their archer is just stronger.

Usually you use that +50% policy to build archers, so an archer cost 33 while a UU cost 35.

With God of Forge this is 28 VS 31.

So a UU actually costs more.

What time is the stream today in Europe GMT?

On the poster it says 8 PM CET, but I think they mean CEST. That would be 9 PM in Finnish time and 8 PM in Germany. Stupid daylight saving time just causes confusion :sad:

Usually you use that +50% policy to build archers, so an archer cost 33 while a UU cost 35.

With God of Forge this is 28 VS 31.

So a UU actually costs more.
You are right, if you are using that policy (Agoge), or another production modifier, the higher base cost will cancel out the build speed advantage, and the increased base cost will be slightly more significant. I didn't think of that. Some calculations:

UPDATE: With the new patch, the basic archer got nerfed with a +10 to production cost, making the Pitati Archer even better, as it will now build faster in all instances. The new values are added in italics below. I have kept the old ones for comparison.

Base case
Nubia building UU: 93,33% of production time compared to other civ building archer
After patch: 77,78%

With Agoge
Nubila building UU: 105% of production time compared to other civ building archer
After patch: 87,5%

With God of forge
Nubila building UU: 100% of production time compared to other civ building archer
After patch: 83,33%

With Agoge and God of Forge
Nubia building UU: 108,89% of production time compared to other civ building archer
After patch: 90,74%

It's not a huge difference in any case, but the production bonus for Nubia does more than compensate for the higher production cost in the base case (I actually don't use Agoge all that often myself), and goes a long way towards offsetting it even with other modifiers in place. Additionally, you will probably be using the production bonus to get some Slingers first, which are then upgraded into the UU.

Overall, I still think this is a very nice UU. It is affordable thanks to the production bonus, available early, has better strength than the already good archer, synergizes with the XP bonus for ranged units, and can get around more quickly.

EDIT: Another way to think of it, just as Nubia's production bonus is a bit less significant when you are using Agoge, relatively speaking, Agoge's production bonus is a bit less significant when you are playing as Nubia. As another Civ, Agoge gives you +50% for ranged and melee units. As Nubia, you will still get +50% for melee, but since you already have a 50% bonus for ranged, the Agoge bonus only adds another 33% to your total. So, with the base 10 production example from earlier, as another Civ, Agoge takes you from 10 to 15 when building ranged units. As Nubia it takes you from 15 to 20. This means Agoge is worth a bit less if you're Nubia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom