Nubia First Look

Okay, sounds like the video has been scoured for clues already. By multiple people. Thanks. :goodjob:

I'll skip doing that myself once the kids are napping and go straight to trying to finish my current game before the patch breaks it.

TBH I was looking less for clues towards future civs and the like, and more for anything that might give away any changes they were going to make in the patch - different tile yields, changes to the UI, stuff like that. So there might still be secrets to uncover ;)

I am wondering why they made her so... er... curvaceous. I can't really find anything that suggests she was but surely the devs are going off something to direct that creative choice?

In "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", the principal character, a Botswana
woman named Mma Precious Ramotswe, is described as "being built on traditional
lines".
"Zaftig" is another good term.

lines".
I remember having some Mma Ramotswe from Botswana in my English schoolbook. I think it was some project about our favourite TV shows and that was an example how to do it.

lines".
I always thought zaftig meant top-heavy, rather than bottom-heavy or overall-heavy. But it's not in the dictionary I currently have at my disposal.

Maybe. Maybe not. At this point, having any additional civs or leaders for Africa is the least likely, because that would already be revealed. We would have gotten Nubia last Thursday and the additional component today. They might reveal it tomorrow during the Livestream, but I consider that very unlikely.

So I would rank the chances:
1) SEA civ in addition to Indonesia
2) alt leader for Indonesia
3) additional civ or alt leader in Africa

IIRC there was a deleted twitter message when they announced it saying that it would be two African Leaders + one SEA. I'll try to find it. If this is the case, I will take back my previous statement and say that I do expect them to announce a leader tomorrow, since it make a lot more sense to release two African leaders together, the second leader likely being an alternative for Egypt, then release a SEA Civ + an African leader.

This is what bugs me about them. Egypt takes a lot of creativity to leverage their bonuses well, and a lot of experience to manage the overflow of opportunity cost she sees in the ancient and classical eras relative to others.
How is she rewarded for performing exceptionally under these circumstances? She gets to avoid falling into a pit of mediocrity. Which is fine, but if that's the standard we're setting we should stick to it.

Then comes Nubia, similar bonuses, simplified mechanics for twice the reward -and a shared starting bias to pour salt in the wound, ensuring the majority of games you'll be in direct competition. Doesn't seem right, and I really hope I'm missing something or when put to practice they actually play out quite differently than they seem. I've never met a game I like where the easy route was also the one to the greatest reward, and this is a very troubling design philosophy if it was intentional.

They have similarities but I think they'll play out a bit differently. Egypt's abilities are river focused (and their UI can go anywhere), while Nubia is pretty desert focused with that UI. Egypt is going to want to expand along rivers while Nubia is going to want to build along the edges of desert. Egypt has more cultural and religious advantages (with the wonder river bonus and the Sphinx), while Nubia has early Dom rush and then generic district production bonuses. I feel like Nubia is actually more comparable to the Aztecs in some ways, play wise. We'll see how it plays out though!

I always thought zaftig meant top-heavy, rather than bottom-heavy or overall-heavy. But it's not in the dictionary I currently have at my disposal.
It's Yiddish for "pleasantly plump".

IIRC there was a deleted twitter message when they announced it saying that it would be two African Leaders + one SEA. I'll try to find it. If this is the case, I will take back my previous statement and say that I do expect them to announce a leader tomorrow, since it make a lot more sense to release two African leaders together, the second leader likely being an alternative for Egypt, then release a SEA Civ + an African leader.

The deleted tweet said 2 civs + 1 alt-leader for both DLC combined. It didn't describe the disposition between the DLC as to which got which.

Not gonna lie, part of me was still kinda hoping for that flat inanimate tablet that was posted recently. This is pretty much the opposite of that, but I guess that's cool. She certainly stands out quite a lot from every other leader in the series, which is meritable.

I'm a bit mixed on Nubia itself. Superficially I'm not all that keen on adding new civilizations when there are still so many old ones that are in dire need of restoration, but Nubia is a pretty solid choice from a region that has historically been somewhat overlooked, so I think it's more than fair to give it a pass. I'm not sure about adding it so early on, though, when my immediate impression is basically that it feels like Egypt+. That's not just in terms of appearance, either; strictly in terms of gameplay it also seems to continue a trend of needlessly imbalanced DLC civilizations that comes across as particularly disproportionate next to Egypt. For all the people hoping for a second (third?) Egyptian leader to come out of this, I'm almost wondering how usable Egypt will even be at the end of the day.

Still, it was exciting to wake up to something that wasn't Indonesia. And if the second leader isn't in Africa, that means we still have something to anticipate for DLC 6, although it seems like we won't get to have another uselessly large thread about it so that much may be a moot point anyway.

Overall a Neat/10 addition.

Black mama Amanitore seems like a great addition to the cast! Her design is quite distinct, and Nubia seems like a really cool civ to play with!
Can't wait for the District production bonus, and the unique archer + bonus production to ranged units should make defending (or rushing!) a breeze!

I know I didn't really fullfil my promise when it came to Macedon and Persia, I really couldn't at the time, but I have sense updated my album with all the missing leaders!
Have an Amanitore:

The deleted tweet said 2 civs + 1 alt-leader for both DLC combined. It didn't describe the disposition between the DLC as to which got which.

I'm creating false memories then. I hate my brain sometimes and I think the feeling is mutual..

Black mama Amanitore seems like a great addition to the cast! Her design is quite distinct, and Nubia seems like a really cool civ to play with!
Can't wait for the District production bonus, and the unique archer + bonus production to ranged units should make defending (or rushing!) a breeze!

I know I didn't really fullfil my promise when it came to Macedon and Persia, I really couldn't at the time, but I have sense updated my album with all the missing leaders!
Have an Amanitore:
I think her face could need a little bit less alpha-teddy.

I hope at the end civilization IV's subsaharan Africa would look like this:
his86.png

I hope at the end civilization IV's subsaharan Africa would look like this:View attachment 474726
Especially since that map does not include the Zulu. :D Honestly, once they add Ethiopia my interest will be pretty well satisfied, but I understand a lot of people want more Africa than that. (If Ethiopia doesn't gain some kind of benefit from coffee, this drinker of Ethiopian coffee will be disappointed.)

I'd be content with sub-Saharan Africa with:
  • Kongo
  • Nubia
  • Ethiopia
  • Mali
  • Zulu
Decent geographical spread for TSL maps.

Agreed. I’m quite surprised and pleased with the addition of Nubia. For once Africa on TSL could be competitive in the early game as well now. Hoping that Morocco and Carthage are added towards the end as well.

Agreed. I’m quite surprised and pleased with the addition of Nubia. For once Africa on TSL could be competitive in the early game as well now. Hoping that Morocco and Carthage are added towards the end as well.
Or Tuareg and Carthage. The Tuareg would be something interesting and different, and they have a great female leader in Tin Hinan, which seems to be a popular criterion in civ selection with Firaxis at the moment.

My hopes for Africa:

Egypt**
Kongo**
Nubia**
Ethiopia*
Carthage*
Morocco* (Almoravid/Almohad this time)
Mali*/Songhai* (2 leader civ)
Zulu*
Ashanti
Kilwa/Swahili
Zimbabwe

** = in Civ VI
* = previously featured in Civ games

I want to see them all, and I want Near East Asia, Far East Asia, and the Americas to have similar representation.

To 50+ Civs!

Top Bottom