1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

TBH I was looking less for clues towards future civs and the like, and more for anything that might give away any changes they were going to make in the patch - different tile yields, changes to the UI, stuff like that. So there might still be secrets to uncover ;)

WillowBrook likes this.
  2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

In "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", the principal character, a Botswana
    woman named Mma Precious Ramotswe, is described as "being built on traditional
    lines".
    "Zaftig" is another good term.

Katakanja likes this.
  3. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

The youth of today use the term "thicc" :lol:

nzcamel, Hawke9 and Ozymandias9891 like this.
  4. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I remember having some Mma Ramotswe from Botswana in my English schoolbook. I think it was some project about our favourite TV shows and that was an example how to do it.

Ferocitus likes this.
  5. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I always thought zaftig meant top-heavy, rather than bottom-heavy or overall-heavy. But it's not in the dictionary I currently have at my disposal.

6. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

IIRC there was a deleted twitter message when they announced it saying that it would be two African Leaders + one SEA. I'll try to find it. If this is the case, I will take back my previous statement and say that I do expect them to announce a leader tomorrow, since it make a lot more sense to release two African leaders together, the second leader likely being an alternative for Egypt, then release a SEA Civ + an African leader.

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

They have similarities but I think they'll play out a bit differently. Egypt's abilities are river focused (and their UI can go anywhere), while Nubia is pretty desert focused with that UI. Egypt is going to want to expand along rivers while Nubia is going to want to build along the edges of desert. Egypt has more cultural and religious advantages (with the wonder river bonus and the Sphinx), while Nubia has early Dom rush and then generic district production bonuses. I feel like Nubia is actually more comparable to the Aztecs in some ways, play wise. We'll see how it plays out though!

8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

It's Yiddish for "pleasantly plump".

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The deleted tweet said 2 civs + 1 alt-leader for both DLC combined. It didn't describe the disposition between the DLC as to which got which.

CPWimmer likes this.
  10. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

Not gonna lie, part of me was still kinda hoping for that flat inanimate tablet that was posted recently. This is pretty much the opposite of that, but I guess that's cool. She certainly stands out quite a lot from every other leader in the series, which is meritable.

I'm a bit mixed on Nubia itself. Superficially I'm not all that keen on adding new civilizations when there are still so many old ones that are in dire need of restoration, but Nubia is a pretty solid choice from a region that has historically been somewhat overlooked, so I think it's more than fair to give it a pass. I'm not sure about adding it so early on, though, when my immediate impression is basically that it feels like Egypt+. That's not just in terms of appearance, either; strictly in terms of gameplay it also seems to continue a trend of needlessly imbalanced DLC civilizations that comes across as particularly disproportionate next to Egypt. For all the people hoping for a second (third?) Egyptian leader to come out of this, I'm almost wondering how usable Egypt will even be at the end of the day.

Still, it was exciting to wake up to something that wasn't Indonesia. And if the second leader isn't in Africa, that means we still have something to anticipate for DLC 6, although it seems like we won't get to have another uselessly large thread about it so that much may be a moot point anyway.

Overall a Neat/10 addition.

Hawke9 and Abraxis like this.
  11. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

Black mama Amanitore seems like a great addition to the cast! Her design is quite distinct, and Nubia seems like a really cool civ to play with!
    Can't wait for the District production bonus, and the unique archer + bonus production to ranged units should make defending (or rushing!) a breeze!

I know I didn't really fullfil my promise when it came to Macedon and Persia, I really couldn't at the time, but I have sense updated my album with all the missing leaders!
    Have an Amanitore:

12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz King

I'm creating false memories then. I hate my brain sometimes and I think the feeling is mutual..

13. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I think her face could need a little bit less alpha-teddy.

14. luigilime

luigilime Prince

I hope at the end civilization IV's subsaharan Africa would look like this: his86.png

WorldWarIV, CivLuvah, earlc and 2 others like this.
  15. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I'd be content with sub-Saharan Africa with:
    • Kongo
    • Nubia
    • Ethiopia
    • Mali
    • Zulu
    Decent geographical spread for TSL maps.

16. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Especially since that map does not include the Zulu. :D Honestly, once they add Ethiopia my interest will be pretty well satisfied, but I understand a lot of people want more Africa than that. (If Ethiopia doesn't gain some kind of benefit from coffee, this drinker of Ethiopian coffee will be disappointed.)

WorldWarIV, nzcamel and luigilime like this.
  17. magha77

magha77 Warlord

Agreed. I’m quite surprised and pleased with the addition of Nubia. For once Africa on TSL could be competitive in the early game as well now. Hoping that Morocco and Carthage are added towards the end as well.

18. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Or Tuareg and Carthage. The Tuareg would be something interesting and different, and they have a great female leader in Tin Hinan, which seems to be a popular criterion in civ selection with Firaxis at the moment.

The Kingmaker likes this.
  19. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

My hopes for Africa:

Egypt**
    Kongo**
    Nubia**
    Ethiopia*
    Carthage*
    Morocco* (Almoravid/Almohad this time)
    Mali*/Songhai* (2 leader civ)
    Zulu*
    Ashanti
    Kilwa/Swahili
    Zimbabwe

** = in Civ VI
    * = previously featured in Civ games

I want to see them all, and I want Near East Asia, Far East Asia, and the Americas to have similar representation.

To 50+ Civs!

20. luigilime

luigilime Prince

I don't understand why some people say 50 civs are too many, we should add more! So many civs I want to see

WorldWarIV, nzcamel, CivLuvah and 9 others like this.