Nubia First Look

I like "Scarborough Fair"...just not the arrangement that accompanies Vickie. :p Aside from "Waltzing Matilda"...

It was a completely ridiculous choice.
Everybody knows that "It's a Long Way to the Top" is Australia's most popular (unofficial) national anthem.

If the Impi is a spearmen replacement the African continent has just ancient UU´s because Carthage and Egypt also have those.
Of course it would be a shame if Shaka is missing in Civ6.

I honestly don't see how they can avoid bringing them back. The Zulus have been a popular fixture of the series since the very beginning. They'll find a way to bring them back. It's inescapable.

It was a completely ridiculous choice.
Everybody knows that "It's a Long Way to the Top" is Australia's most popular (unofficial) national anthem.

What about Men at Work's "Land Down Under?"

I wouldn't strike him out just yet- Shaka is more associated with short stabbing spears than the javelins seen in Civ V. If I were to design a Zulu Civ, I'd make them fast melee units with flanking bonuses.

Yeah his most famous military innovation was the bull horn formation that was all about flanking. Give his UU a flank bonus and leader bonus of extra movement for his notorious military speed.

I honestly don't see how they can avoid bringing them back. The Zulus have been a popular fixture of the series since the very beginning. They'll find a way to bring them back. It's inescapable.

What about Men at Work's "Land Down Under?"

No, for two main reasons:
1. It plagiarised "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree".
but more importantly...
2. No epic bagpipe solo.

My view is that, if DLC is normally released on a Thursday (US time), & we don't see another first look on Wednesday (US time), then I'll accept that we're only getting the one Civ for this DLC. I still hold out hope, though, that we'll get a total of 3 Civilisations across the 2 DLC's. Most likely 2 African (Nubia and 1 other....hopefully Zulu or Mali) & 1 SE Asian (Indonesia or Siam, I reckon).

but more importantly...
2. No epic bagpipe solo.

Interesting how it wasn't the original composer of "Kookaburra" that sued for plagiarism, but a bunch of lawyers decades after the fact. Money grubbing jerks!

My view is that, if DLC is normally released on a Thursday (US time), & we don't see another first look on Wednesday (US time), then I'll accept that we're only getting the one Civ for this DLC. I still hold out hope, though, that we'll get a total of 3 Civilisations across the 2 DLC's. Most likely 2 African (Nubia and 1 other....hopefully Zulu or Mali) & 1 SE Asian (Indonesia or Siam, I reckon).

I think it's the other way around. 1 African and 2 SEA components (either 2 civs or 1 civ and an alt-leader). Firstly, I think they would have started the First Looks sooner and would not have one on the same day as the livestream if there were two components for Africa. That's how Persia/Macedon went down. They had 2 First Looks and a livestream on three different days.

Secondly, Firaxis loves to save the best (or most controversial) for last. They revealed Sweden last in G&K, Venice last in BNW, and Gorgo last in Civ VI vanilla. They like to set off that frisson of chatter at the end. Therefore, I have to believe that the DLC with two components is the second of the two DLCs.

I think it's the other way around. 1 African and 2 SEA components (either 2 civs or 1 civ and an alt-leader). Firstly, I think they would have started the First Looks sooner and would not have one on the same day as the livestream if there were two components for Africa. That's how Persia/Macedon went down. They had 2 First Looks and a livestream on three different days.

Secondly, Firaxis loves to save the best (or most controversial) for last. They revealed Sweden last in G&K, Venice last in BNW, and Gorgo last in Civ VI vanilla. They like to set off that frisson of chatter at the end. Therefore, I have to believe that the DLC with two components is the second of the two DLCs.

Good points, but we have no idea how they'll show off an alt leader, since this is Civ VI's first non vanilla one. Do they get their own 'first look' video?

Whoever the alt leader is, they're going to be pretty special to be in a DLC. Either it's two people as one leader (Trung sisters) or the second leader has to come with a UU (like Teddy) or a very meaty LA.

Wasn't the tweet that mentioned three leaders removed? Do we even know for sure there will be three leaders total between the two DLCs?

Good points, but we have no idea how they'll show off an alt leader, since this is Civ VI's first non vanilla one. Do they get their own 'first look' video?

Whoever the alt leader is, they're going to be pretty special to be in a DLC. Either it's two people as one leader (Trung sisters) or the second leader has to come with a UU (like Teddy) or a very meaty LA.

Wasn't the tweet that mentioned three leaders removed? Do we even know for sure there will be three leaders total between the two DLCs?

The Tweet said the DLCs contain 2 civs and an alt-leader. But we don't know if it was deleted for being right (too much, too soon) or for being wrong. The chances of 3 civs between the two DLCs is still on the table.

Gorgo got her own First Look, so I expect that any future alt-leaders will as well.

I'm curious to know what is the significance of Nubia's symbol:

Nubia's Symbol.png

but more importantly...
2. No epic bagpipe solo.

The how come no one's mentioned John Farnham's "You're the Voice" yet?

Can you imagine Nubia with a desert start bias, Petra, the Nubian pyramids improvement AND desert folklore!!! Building subsequent holy site districts would be fast as well.This is going to be awesome, awesome, awesome

Archer rush is one of the most used strategies and early expansion is so critical in this version of Civ. The cost of district is always an issue. Religious victory is also one of the easiest conditions. The devs give this leader bonus to all three. Honestly I think it's quite OP.

That is my only problem with Nubia. From the looks of it, they really limit your viable strategies and force you into Archer spam every single game. As if we didn't have enough warmongers...

I don't think that's the only way to play. Large part of Nubia bonuses is tied to deserts, they'll be unable to use it with wild conquest.
IMHO, Nubia is totally viable for peaceful play, using archers for defense and focusing on districts.

I don't understand why some people say 50 civs are too many, we should add more! So many civs I want to see

The problem is to make civs distinct. Now with each civ having 4 unique properties, it's even harder. We already have 2 civs with culture bomb, 2 civs with desert focus and so on.

I wouldn't want to see a lot of civs at the cost of dropping their uniquiness to Civ3-4 level. Would prefer some reasonable limit, but with civs being truly unique.

Archer rush is one of the most used strategies and early expansion is so critical in this version of Civ. The cost of district is always an issue. Religious victory is also one of the easiest conditions. The devs give this leader bonus to all three. Honestly I think it's quite OP.

There are no direct bonuses for religious victory. And, honestly it's quite hard on high difficulty levels, because getting religion is really hard, unless you play Arabia.

Top Bottom