Nubia First Look

I could understand if people think that Catherine de Medici was a stretch to shoehorn in a female leader, but people complaining about Amanitore are trying too hard.

Nubia is a deserving inclusion, and happens to be an example of a civilisation which had several notable and important female rulers. Amanitore is an excellent choice, and while her depiction is obviously caricatured, it seems reasonable to me. There's nothing tokenistic about it at all.

It also hardly needs to be said that there have been countless non-straight leaders in history, and two of them (Julius Caesar and Frederick the Great) appeared in Civ IV.

Moderator Action: Please let us get back on the topic of this thread. The topic is the inclusion of Nubia as dlc as presented in the first look video and how that civ will be played in the game.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited:
Sooo if you bild that Nubian Pyramid Improvement on a desert hill inside a circle of districts (city center, campus, theater square, holy site, IZ, commercial hub/harbor) you'll get +1Food, +1Science, +1Culture, +2Faith, +2Prduction, +1Gold? That's neat!

Sooo if you bild that Nubian Pyramid Improvement on a desert hill inside a circle of districts (city center, campus, theater square, holy site, IZ, commercial hub/harbor) you'll get +1Food, +1Science, +1Culture, +2Faith, +2Prduction, +1Gold? That's neat!
That is what I had in mind when I said it was a maximum +7 yield (page 16). :) Of course, there is slight trade-off, as unlike the districts themselves, the pyramid will not provide an adjacency bonus in return. But in general, I think you will always want one next to your city center, and then it depends on the terrain and city layout where you may want to place others. Even if it is only touching 2 districts, it will still add a decent 3 yield to the tile you build it on. As far as unique tile improvements go, this is an interesting one.

Another interesting option is to place it at a river bend flood plain. Then you could have a tile with 3 food, 1 faith, plus 3 other yields from district adjacency. You may want to swap it out for a farm later on, when farm adjacency bonuses come into effect. But yeah, I can see this tile improvement helping me out a great deal in the early game.

EDIT: ...and still being nice in many situations in the later game.

Last edited:

First, that's probably not a very efficient way to deploy your districts (and you would have to have pretty high population to fully achieve it).

Secondly, that tile isn't particularly worth working. The 1 Food isn't enough to support growth. The 2 Production can be beat by later mines. And a mine would be better anyway, since it would boost up the Industrial Zone yield. The 1 Culture, 1 Science, and 2 Faith aren't useful enough to make it worth working instead of a farm or mine.

The best place for a Nubian Pyramid is on a Floodplain, adjacent to a city center, and one or two other districts. That way you're getting your 4 Food, 1 Faith and whatever yields from a few adjacent districts. Whichever districts work for that spot. Don't try to arrange your districts to max out the Nubian Pyramids.

PS: Is anybody else slightly creeped out about getting a food yield from what is essentially a tomb?

Last edited:
First, that's probably not a very efficient way to deploy your districts (and you would have to have pretty high population to fully achieve it).

Secondly, that tile isn't particularly worth working. The 1 Food isn't enough to support growth. The 2 Production can be beat by later mines. And a mine would be better anyway, since it would boost up the Industrial Zone yield. The 1 Culture, 1 Science, and 2 Faith aren't useful enough to make it worth working instead of a farm or mine.

The best place for a Nubian Pyramid is on a Floodplain, adjacent to a city center, and one or two other districts. That way you're getting your 4 Food, 1 Faith and whatever yields from a few adjacent districts. Whichever districts work for that spot. Don't try to arrange your districts to max out the Nubian Pyramids.

PS: Is anybody else slightly creeped out about getting a food yield from what is essentially a tomb?

Maybe the dead bodies work as fertilizers or the Crab God, may he be praised, will bless you with food if you build pyramids in his honor.

Yeah, it seems like a great UI near the city center, and maybe on flood plains where you can't do a farm triangle. In theory maybe next to cultural district for that minor improvement tourism if you are going that way. Though those things are all dwarfed by seaside resorts, it hardly seems worth it.

They keep making these UIs that seem slightly at odds with the new 'builder' approach. If it was still workers, sure I might put them on lots of desert tiles when I was out of things to develop. The very minor tourism boost or the minor yield might be better than working the weak district slots. But they hardly seem worth it to use the builder charges, outside of some specific situations.

ok with no surprise first look tonight, it looks like this is the single civ DLC

She was a powerful Kandake. That title alone means she was a warrior, a leader of armies and a ruler.

The title was just a term for royal women. Many Kandake were warriors and/or queens but simply having the title does not make them one.

ok with no surprise first look tonight, it looks like this is the single civ DLC

I'm honestly kind of shocked. I figured as long as our wait was, they were going to give us 2 civs. Oh well.

Whatever the case, if the Nubian delegation offers me jerky, I will have to politely decline.
Reports of flavour vary from pork and beef to a superior cut of veal. Given the identical amino acids, it's also likely that cooked human meat has the highest return on energy of any meat product, nevermind the person spent their life contributing to society rather than sitting in a penn draining resources. Many cannibals report a rush of energy after consumption, whether that's the meat or its scarcity against their desire, or a little of both, who knows.
The only real danger comes from the nervous tissue, which aught to be easily avoided. Living in a desert with scarce resources, recycling is paramount, yet we expect them to discard hundreds of pounds of meat every time someone dies.
I don't know about Nubia's actual customs, but it seems pretty sensible to me, expected even. I'm going to go on assuming that's exactly what this bonus is, it adds a whole new disturbing dimension to Amanitore's size.
As for our personal taboo against it, how long before McDonalds gets caught serving it? At our present rate of growth I'd honestly be surprised if we make it through our lifetimes without this becoming an issue.

Best get used to the idea now :yumyum:

Last edited:

Well, although I agree that a floodplain placement is the best, the UI can make regular desert tiles somewhat usable instead of just space for wonders and districts. You would need other tiles to be able to work it of course (high food tiles) but I do like the mechanics.

Now for the UU, that is just plain OP I'm afraid. As someone calculated here earlier there is not much difference in build time with regular archers for other civs and it has +5 strength and +1 movement. I think only the combat bonus would have been better, but then again, maybe the unit design would have been too bland.

Top Bottom