OB02 - Giving is Better than Receiving

City maintenance is kind of slowing us down a lot: courthouses and FP are also worth considering in the near future.

Is it that time of the year again already?

GS will give us Philosophy, which only Liz has. Sadly no-one will trade anything useful with us, so he is sent to the capital for an Academy.

We are second last in power :mad:. When Asoka asks us to declare on Alex, we're toast. Some military please :p.

Delhi, which has the Great Library, doesn't have an actual library :lol:.

I pre-empt Asoka with this deal. If we're going to be fighting Alex with him, at least he has something to offer.

I knew it, I just f*cken knew it.

That's not right, how can this happen :mad: :lol: :cry: 2 wars for the price of 1.

I didn't close the diplo screen and was able to do this. It was Music or Jaipur.

How weird was all of that :confused: :crazyeye:

It all happened in the same IBT.

In any case we've got no military so we're still in trouble from his crossbow raiders. I have to whip some defenders up and start building some catapults and knights.

We get Gunpowder (monopoly) and head for Engineering. I beg some cash of Mansu to keep the research rate up.

WW is hitting so the culture slider is up to 20%.

Well Mr GreyFox, you have a fun job ahead. We have an enormous production advantage so a round of whipping should see us through.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/Santa_Claus_AD-1400.Civ4SavedGame

Huh??? That must be the shortest war in all Civ4 history .... :lol: ... Effectively, the results is the same if Alex has asked for Music ... except that we get a -ve diplo point for giving him Music :crazyeye:

You should have declared in Asoka (if possible) when you suspect that he would ask us to declare on Greek.

Got it.

lurker's comment:
That's not right, how can this happen :mad: :lol: :cry: 2 wars for the price of 1.
:lol: :lol: They both asked you to declare on the same turn? I don't know why, I just find this too funny. Probably because I'm a lurker rather than neck deep into it ... :p

You handled beautifully, Ozbenno! :goodjob: Declare war and sign a peace deal on the same turn! I didn't even know that was possible! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Took a look at our cities ... looking good. I whipped a few cities since they are at happy limit anyway. Also started a few temples to help with happiness.

Why is there an Indian longbow deep in our territory .. hmm ... send the mace go investigate ...

Turn 204/460 (1440 AD) - 18-Jan-2007 20:06:23
While attacking in Santa Claus territory near Jaipur, Maceman defeats (4.16/8): Indian Longbowman (Prob Victory: 86.5%)

Oh dear me, I asked you to investigate ... not kill him ... well, whatever.

Asoka is also sending some force down from his north city, apparently trying to retake Madras. His forces are mainly crossbows, maces. Our knights made short work of them.

Turn 202/460 (1420 AD) - 18-Jan-2007 19:59:28
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Knight defeats (2.00/10): Indian Crossbowman (Prob Victory: 90.3%)

Turn 203/460 (1430 AD) - 18-Jan-2007 20:02:13
Knight promoted: Combat I
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Essen, Knight defeats Knight promoted: Shock
(2.00/10): Indian Crossbowman (Prob Victory: 90.3%)

Knight promoted: Combat I
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Knight defeats (2.80/10): Indian Maceman (Prob Victory: 69.7%)

Turn 204/460 (1440 AD) - 18-Jan-2007 20:06:23
IBT:
While defending in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Knight loses to: Indian Maceman (2.48/8) (Prob Victory: 62.6%)

Turn 205/460 (1450 AD) - 18-Jan-2007 20:10:17
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Knight defeats (6.60/10): Indian Maceman (Prob Victory: 77.3%)
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Knight defeats (5.20/10): Indian Crossbowman (Prob Victory: 80.4%)
While attacking in Santa Claus territory at Madras, Catapult defeats (3.95/5): Indian Maceman (Prob Victory: 97.7%)

Then Alex came asking for present ...

well sure. In fact, I think that is a present for us, since OB means he can move his troops into out territory and go harass Asoka ... good. Or so thought.

Indeed, his horse archers start moving north ... so I decided to follow suit and get us some pillages ... our economy is now joke.

But .... two turns later:

Geez ... come on, Alex!!! You should have killed him!

Anyway, since we are already at war, might as well get the most out of it. Here is North India:

The troops I sent there is mainly for pillaging, but if the next player feels like it, you may want to raze that city ... it will add an army of slave workers to our factories for Christmas-presents production. This city should not be keep, since it will be under tremendous pressure from English and Aztec.

As marked, there is an India crossbow heading south. So the knight at Madras should try to intercept him and kill it.

South India (Calcutta in particular), on the other and, should be captured and kept. It will add nicely to the Santa empire.

Other news:

Sorry, Mansa, Mao asked first.

For that matter, I was so worried that one of the M&M (mao and Mansa) would ask us to join their war .... in retrospect, we should perhaps had added a provision in our variant to say that we can reject war. War is no Christmas present, for Christ's sake!

We got engineering, decided to go for Paper and Education.

>>> The Save (1500AD) <<<

Yes.
Got it.
Will play tomorrow.
10 turns to 1550.
Chop trees and give them all away iirc.

It was a busy kind of set even though nothing major happened. When I looked at the opening save I thought that our economy was slightly compromised and tried to fix it a bit.

1550.(pre-turn).
Jaipur: whip granary.
Cologne, Delhi, Essen and Madras: all builds changed to courthouse.
Hamburg change build to grocer (health).

The middle-age hippy makes us an offer we can't refuse! (should but can't ;) ).

Still annoyed? How about some festive cheer?

Munich builds Llongbow (welsh longbow), starts granary.
Jaipur builds granary, starts CH.
GS in Delhi, no idea what to do with him. Park GS in Delhi.
Trade engineering to Liz for banking +140g.
Trade music to Mao for 260g.
Trade rice to Mao for 7gpt.
Notice Liz has paper and philosophy = liberalism beeline. Change to chemistry.

Mao wants gunpowder for his christmas fire-crackers. Of course, Comrade.

Seasons greetings :xmascheers:

Berlin builds cat, starts christian monastery.
Frankfurt builds mace, starts buddhist monastery.
Trade gunpowder to Liz for paper, optics, 10 g.
No other trades available.
Alex is annoyed. Cheer up good buddy :xmas:
Research up to 50&#37;. Culture reduced to 0%. Happy anyway.

Whip CH in Hamburg
Whip CH in Cologne
WhipCH in Delhi
Vicky now has education and philosophy.

Our Christmas generosity wins over Mao:

Now we're friends (almost) its time to open borders with Mao.
Sell paper to Mao for 210g (he needs it for fire-crackers).
Munich builds granary, starts christian missionary.
Delhi builds courthouse, starts grocer.
Hamburg builds courthouse, resumes grocer.
Cologne builds courthouse, resumes musket.
Research up to 60% (-11gpt).
Delete lvl1 archer, upgrade 4 CG2 archers to longbows.

Cologne completes musket, starts grocer.
Essen whips courthouse.
Berlin completes christian monastery, starts grocer.
Hamburg completes grocer, resumes christian temple.

Frankfurt completes buddhist monastery, starts buddhist missionary.
Monte declare war vs Asoka.

Hamburg completes christian temple, starts buddhist monastery.

Agree OB with Asoka.

Dortmund whips courthouse.
Frankfurt completes buddhist missionary, starts cat.

Dortmund completes courthouse, starts granary.
Gems appear near Cologne.
Monte captures Lahore.
Liz discovers liberalism.
Berlin goes buddhist.

End of Set.
Still got GS in Delhi. He could lightbulb towards education. We're breaking even at 60% research and about 10 turns from chemistry. We've got a stack of knights just north of Delhi as a quick reaction force.
The peace treaty with Asoka expires next turn, he's got two southern cities left. We've got a small stack nearby:

Final thoughts; As you may have noticed I like grocers:+3 health, +25% cash ain't bad. Economy has improved. I'm wondering if (edit:jungle city n.e. of) Essen has the potential for a long term superscience city (lots of jungles being converted to cottages); if so it might be best to use GS for academy there.
Let's polish off Asoka; he can't ask for peace within ten turns.

Power:

Demographics:

Save in post below.

Top Bottom