Obama's CIA Pick

Chris, glad to see you're on board with Panetta.../...You seem to be somewhat confused about the CIA's role.

Dude, if there is anybody on this board not confused with the CIA's role, it is me. And I think Panetta was a weak choice for his lack of foreign policy credentials. Sure, the Iraq Study Group is a nice blot on his resume, but the man is completely a manager. Being the head of the CIA spends 1/4 of his time overseas interacting with other heads of intelligence/state/whatever, I think a more prudent selection would have been a Sam Nunn or another Democrat with some experience abroad.

Panetta would have been a great Environmental Secretary, or maybe even Labor. But his previous experience on the international stage is really weak for a role which requires so much of it.

And really Miles, in many many ways the DCIA is indeed a diplomat. Check out Kessler's Inside the CIA for more information if you don't believe me.

~Chris

I've read it. Hardly the most informative book I've ever read, it's out of date and it doesn't do much to invalidate my statements. We may quibble about the amount of overseas work the CIA director does, it pales in comparison to the two roles I've mentioned. Look, the CIA has lost allot of it's good reputation in D.C, and it needs someone to fight for it so it can do it's job.

I normally wouldn't like this kind of job going to someone without experience/expertise. But where did the intelligence professionals get us??

Top Bottom