Observations

candle

Prince
Ok correct me if im wrong here, I havnt learned everything yet but here is some of the major changes ive noticed

Certain experts can not be hired in Europe only trained in an indian village or in a school after you have one.

Vetran Soilders can no longer be trained

Indutured servants and petty criminals can no longer get promoted up to free colonist by labor

starting milita are incredily weak even agasint the native indians, it takes 2 milita dragoons to take out an indian in his village from my experince so far

You can't accquire regulars anymore, this seems quite odd, as there not listed as europe only but still they are not trainable.

The ground type now determines the products you can produce 100% no matter the icon on the tile

Roads dont offer a productivty increase for squares

Priviteers are totally worthless as finding the other guys ships is almost impossible, at least for me I havnt run across there ships yet

you longer need a dock to fish

Ok correct me if im wrong here, I havnt learned everything yet but here is some of the major changes ive noticed

Certain experts can not be hired in Europe only trained in an indian village or in a school after you have one.

Indutured servants and petty criminals can no longer get promoted up to free colonist by labor

starting milita are incredily weak even agasint the native indians, it takes 2 milita dragoons to take out an indian in his village from my experince so far

You can't accquire regulars anymore, this seems quite odd, as there not listed as europe only but still they are not trainable.

The ground type now determines the products you can produce 100% no matter the icon on the tile

Roads dont offer a productivty increase for squares

Priviteers are totally worthless as finding the other guys ships is almost impossible, at least for me I havnt run across there ships yet

you longer need a dock to fish

Let's see...

1. yes some experts can't be bought in europe, only learned naturally (over many turns) or from a native.

2. veteran soldiers can be trained at colleges and up

3. correct - use Dale's AOD2 mod to address... in it these guys will earn free colonist status

4. natives are more challenging than in the original. You need a larger army to fight them.

5. no regulars for the player, but the regulars the king uses are no stronger than a well trained dragoon so it doesn't matter. Why they had different tiers of soldiers in the original i have no idea

6. correct

7. road is only for movement

8. you'll find other ships... and privateers are good for attacking them and exploring. that said, i usually don't bother

9. you don't need a dock but it sure helps as you will get little food if you don't have one

Let's see...

1. yes some experts can't be bought in europe, only learned naturally (over many turns) or from a native.

2. veteran soldiers can be trained at colleges and up

3. correct - use Dale's AOD2 mod to address... in it these guys will earn free colonist status

4. natives are more challenging than in the original. You need a larger army to fight them.

5. no regulars for the player, but the regulars the king uses are no stronger than a well trained dragoon so it doesn't matter. Why they had different tiers of soldiers in the original i have no idea

6. correct

7. road is only for movement

8. you'll find other ships... and privateers are good for attacking them and exploring. that said, i usually don't bother

9. you don't need a dock but it sure helps as you will get little food if you don't have one
just what i noticed in basic game mechanics thats diffrent lol

Expert resource collectors (tobacco planters, etc) can't be got in Europe, but it's very quick and easy to train them in native villages, no reason not to take advantage of that.

Ever since the official patch, it has been possible to train veteran soldiers. I have dozens in my current game.

If by "regulars" you mean soldiers who are not veterans, it's just because you're missing something. Any colonist can be equipped with guns to become a soldier or with guns & horses to become a dragoon. Isn't that what "regulars" are? No training required.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Expert resource collectors (tobacco planters, etc) can't be got in Europe, but it's very quick and easy to train them in native villages, no reason not to take advantage of that.

Ever since the official patch, it has been possible to train veteran soldiers. I have dozens in my current game.

If by "regulars" you mean soldiers who are not veterans, it's just because you're missing something. Any colonist can be equipped with guns to become a soldier or with guns & horses to become a dragoon. Isn't that what "regulars" are? No training required.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

no, during the war of independance in the original game, you got Continental regulars, a step above a vetran and these are what you wanted to attack europe with.

no, during the war of independance in the original game, you got Continental regulars, a step above a vetran and these are what you wanted to attack europe with.

Civ4Col has replaced the "continental regular" concept with a plethora of experience advances. If you advance a veteran dragoon through 5 or 6 experience levels, he's going to have more than the equivalent of the old "continental regular" from Col1. True, you don't get those advances *automatically* as in Col1. You have to wage war (against natives or against competing AI colonial nations, or against the REF in the late game) in order to get experience advances.

But IMNSVHO the experience system is far, far superior to the old Col1 combat system where your troops were immortal as long as you had extra horses to equip them with between turns.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

i dunno i miss the old Col1 system, and it wasnt automatic, only a handful got the promotion the rest had to get a combat promotion from a vetran to a continetal troop

I hate Col1's combat system. Wagon trains full of guns and horses, one city, and infinite dragoons. Boo!

Oh I agree, the combat system was garbage in Col1. You either won or lost a fight, no health gauge or anything. One guy could theoretically beat 2 of equal strength and be unscathed, whereas here after the first fight, he'd likely be hurt somewhat and most likely lose the 2nd. Much better.

And the fact that when your dragoon lost he just lost the horses and you could quickly re-equip him was stupid. What, in the first battle they just go after horses and let all the people live?

Combat is a world better in this version.

Oh I agree, the combat system was garbage in Col1. You either won or lost a fight, no health gauge or anything. One guy could theoretically beat 2 of equal strength and be unscathed, whereas here after the first fight, he'd likely be hurt somewhat and most likely lose the 2nd. Much better.

And the fact that when your dragoon lost he just lost the horses and you could quickly re-equip him was stupid. What, in the first battle they just go after horses and let all the people live?

Combat is a world better in this version.

ever thought they shot the horse out from under him?

When was the last time you heard of a defending army shooting the horses but not the men afterwards?

As for soldiers, it is completely illogical that a shot soldier loses his rifle. That is insane! :crazyeye:

When was the last time you heard of a defending army shooting the horses but not the men afterwards?

As for soldiers, it is completely illogical that a shot soldier loses his rifle. That is insane! :crazyeye:
I still prefered it for the double reason of in the WoI i could capture trained brittish regulars

Top Bottom