OCC Tips Please

Mathias said:
Histograph victory possible with OCC? Sorry, I'd have to see it first.
Now that would be fun to go for! On chieftain you could KO most civs and limit the progress of the remaining one with a constant war. I think that the human player could keep the AI down to a single town and if it did build a second city you can decide which one to destroy. Lux and strat colonies could be easily protected, research would be very quick for the human and so the AI would be behind on territory, happy and content citizens for so long that it could be done. I'm sure the elite players could manage that on a much higher level. The more I think about this, the more I think that it could be done with relative ease on the lowest levels.

Tone said:
Now that would be fun to go for! On chieftain you could KO most civs and limit the progress of the remaining one with a constant war. I think that the human player could keep the AI down to a single town and if it did build a second city you can decide which one to destroy. Lux and strat colonies could be easily protected, research would be very quick for the human and so the AI would be behind on territory, happy and content citizens for so long that it could be done. I'm sure the elite players could manage that on a much higher level. The more I think about this, the more I think that it could be done with relative ease on the lowest levels.

Well, even though the goal would be histograph, that would be more like conquest , wouldnt it? :coffee:

Mathias said:
This thread is about OCC, or One City Challenge, where you are not allowed to ever control a second city. With this restriction, domination is obviously impossible. Other VC's have varying degrees of difficulty depending on the level at which the game is played.

Stupid me will pay more attention and not jump in mid thread my bad.
On a OCC i find the diplomatic victory is the easy option while some of the others are clealy out of the question. With a fantastic starting position a spaceship victory is feasable.

AnsarKing101 said:
Well, even though the goal would be histograph, that would be more like conquest , wouldnt it? :coffee:
Well in a sense, yes but then again no! The only difference is the extra X hundred turns at the end when you could wipe them out in an instant but you let them live so as not to trigger any other victory condition.

I'm interested in this because it sounds like a viable option for me to obtain QC status in the HoF by getting a histographic victory without all the mm that narmally goes with that type of game. I've got a proper milk run going but I've only got to around 1350AD and I can't seem to find the time to continue it at the moment.

Lol. Sorry.
:lol:

Unfortunately, you cant score many points in Histograph considering its 2050 AD and its Chieftain.

By the Way, If you finish a game(i.e 0 AD) do you get extra points? :confused:

AnsarKing101 said:
Unfortunately, you cant score many points in Histograph considering its 2050 AD and its Chieftain.
No you're quite right but at least it would be an entry for a 2050AD win. I've got victories for all levels, all victory conditions and all sizes of maps in the fastest finish catagories but I was never really one for stretching out a game. This would enable me to get that last victory condition but in a more fun way.

Interestingly the lowest scoring histographic victory in the HoF is zero points!! He must have been playing more than half the game before building his first town. In the meantime he must have used his settler and worker to pop huts in order to gain warriors that could then keep the AI civs in check. Finally he must have killed off the final AI civ in the final turn so what I'm thinking about is not anywhere near so extreme.
By the Way, If you finish a game(i.e 0 AD) do you get extra points?
Yes. score bonus=number of years before 2050*level of difficulty (level of difficulty example: regent=3)

However unless you finish very fast, the bonus for an early finish is not as much as you can get by milking the game. There are 3 games in the HoF that exceed 80000 points due to milking!

(BTW you cannot finish in 0 AD)

Mathias said:
I never turn off ANY victory condition. Part of the challenge is reaching your chosen VC without triggering any other.

Yeah, but turning it off allows me to play on large worlds, which makes it a lot more challenging.

metalhead said:
Yeah, but turning it off allows me to play on large worlds, which makes it a lot more challenging.
It could be argued that the real challenge is to still play your size but with all VCs on :mischief:

Tone said:
It could be argued that the real challenge is to still play your size but with all VCs on :mischief:

Very true. I lost my first OCC Space win by a 20k win and I still considered it a loss. In truth not getting 20k is more challenging than dealing with the AI's.

In my first OCC , I turned off Diplo and I didnt even get to the Modern Ages.

By the Way, how do you keep up in tech? :confused:

That starting position is so important almost to the point of a miracle bing needed. Sneaky trading i find to be the key. OCC is not something i play alot. Never heard the expression before i came here. So ive only ever done it a couple of times.

AnsarKing101 said:
(1) Selective research. Know the techs that the AI is likely to go after, and choose something else. For example, in the ancient times, you should avoid researching Map Making.

(2) Trade effectively to get those techs that the AI prefers to research, and wait until two or three AI have any given tech before you trade for it.

(3) Read my succession game. You will need to patch up to 1.22 before you can view the saves.

Definitely check out Mathias's OCC Space SG, you'll learn a lot of pointers with that game. Here's my first attempt at an OCC Space game.

During that game I found keeping up with the tech race wasn't the problem, it was getting the AI's to keep up that was hard. At times I was gifting the AI several techs to get them to the next age. They never had any cash to spend so selling it was never worth much. One thing I did was sell them each at least one tech (a different one to each AI) for all the gold they had. Than I gifted them the rest. If you're a scientific civ do this during the big picture as you enter the next age. This way you can gift the AI's into the next era and take all their free techs (if they are scientific). Once this trading is done you should (possibly) have every 1st tier tech on the new age so when you're free tech is earned it'll be 2nd tier. Of note, I typically never get the entire 1st tier but my free tech is usually the last of the 1st tier meaning I immediately start on the 2nd tier.

AnsarKing101 said:
If you see the response I gave to your comment in this thread, I make the observation about people not understanding where their cash comes from and then wondering why they find themselves falling behind in tech and then I read this :lol:

Trading is important and so is choosing what to research. Republic should give you greater income than Monarchy unless you have lots of units to support, in which case I guess that your research will be the poiinty stick variety. Building libraries is non-currupt towns once they become available and courts in medium corruption towns is important in improving the proportion of your cash that goes towards research but if your citizens in each town are working non-commerce tiles, then you are not getting the maximum amount of tax out of your citizens and so your research capacity will be poor!

To maximize research (apart from getting more towns) the simple thing you can do is ensure that your citizens are all working roaded tiles (preferably by rivers) and if they are working tiles that have not been fully improved, build more workers.

Edit: I know that some of the points were not directly related to OCC-I got carried away-sorry!

EDIT: Concerning Histograph OCC

What's the highest difficulty level of OCC conquest victory ever won? Even still, you would have to play a level or two lower to make up for the score created before you killed other civs....and leave one civ remaining which would average almost the same score as you (1 city vs. 1 city) for the rest of the game. Very tough Imo, on a standard continent/archiapalego map, but very doable on a pangea with Persia or Iroquois....on Regent, maybe Monarch, maybe.

OCC conquest thats gonna be a toughie no matter how good you are. Im a SID player but its just doest sound very likely to be able to achive. Im gonna have a go on a lower difficulty and see how that goes.

Tone said:

Actually, on Emperor and especially Deity, there is practically no chance of getting a cultural victory anyways, and it's not all that difficult to avoid at Monarch level, either.

Himalia said:
OCC conquest thats gonna be a toughie no matter how good you are. Im a SID player but its just doest sound very likely to be able to achive. Im gonna have a go on a lower difficulty and see how that goes.

Nonsense! I have chieftan and warlord OCC victories with the Aztecs, and the warlord level victory is the highest in my HOF! Granted, they were tiny pangaeas, and I didn't really consider them OCC games, but I won without building a second city.

I dont think its impossible by any means. Just sounded abit tough. Ive not tried a conquest victory yet with the OCC rules but im gonna have a try at some point. Did you find much difference between Chieftan and Warlord ? or would you suggest going higher straight away ? Prehaps Monarch or something.

Top Bottom