1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Offcial Civ4 Site is Up

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ThePhysicist, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

That was the grandest white screen I've ever seen. That was untill I allowed java for the website and it actually loaded. Now it's the grandest black screen (damn adblock).

I'm wondering though, what is the point of saying that the Official Civ4 site has launched? On the official Civ4 site?

2. Novaya Havoc

Novaya Havoc Hollerback for Catherine

leaaaaderheeaaaads... <whine>

In the UN splash, the flags are the Civ4 civ flags. Nice touch.

But leeeaderheaaads....

Oh, and it seems the web developer left up a to-do list, rather than actually, uh, doing it.

"Graphics:

1. Pick 5-10 leaderheads that have been in all versions of the game (Civ I, II, II & IV) and show a side-by-side comparison.
    2. Compare city view from all versions
    3. Pick 5 wonders that have been in every version and show a side-by-side comparison.
    4. Pick 5 each of units and buildings that have been in every version and show a side-by-side comparison."

3. Carver

Carver King

On the American units page there seems to be a cruise missle! And we thought these weren't in the game. :)

Edit: I just discovered the mouse over - it's an ICBM.

4. Belboz

Belboz Necromancer

I really wanted to see a movie for the ICBM:)

5. Melendwyr

Melendwyr God-King of Babylon

Gunships are, I believe, one of the units that has only a single component display. Just like tanks.

6. JBearIt

JBearIt Ard Ri

I wouldn't get too upset about the missing Elizabeth, Frederick, and Qin Shangdi (may have typed that one wrong!). I bet they're still in the game and that the new official website is not quite up to date. Note that none of them are from one of the "featured civs" so the website entries for the bulk of the civs are still probably works in progress. I'll also wager that Kublai Khan is still a Mongolian leader. The Gamespy preview posted today clearly shows him as a Mongol. As someone posted in another thread, the people responsible for the Civ IV website are not the same people responsible for the game.

7. Carver

Carver King

"The SEALs are deployed by sea, air and land; hence their title. SEALs are trained to reach their destination by parachutes and paragliders, by marching through miles of difficult terrain, or by small boat or scuba gear. "

If they replicate this in the game well the Americans are gonna rock - this may have to be the first civ I play with.

8. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time learning how to spell his name when you're dealing with him in Civ IV. =)

9. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Nice site. Of course Civrules Prerelease info is better for pure hardcore Civ4 info. I like the fact that they brought back the Civ1 intro music (bit of nostalgia).

They've changed the Baba Yetu lyrics (named menu theme in the media section) a little from the one we've heard a while ago (see Civrules Prerelease info http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/ ) I like the earlier one in the prerelease info actually better (but I mostly don't like remakes of music, so maybe that's just me :) ).

Edit: to add to the discussion about the single unit display of some units: In the info box of units visible in the lower left corner when you mouse over a unit, the actual strength of a unit is visible which is reduced when the unit takes damage. So the three archers or one tank are only a visible presentation and have nothing to do with game mechanics.

10. sela1s1son

sela1s1son King

I would love to get the main theme from Civ I (both original and the one on the website) as Mp3s... same with the one diplomatic style music you hear when you look at the civs.... ahhh memories.

Question:

The music they put up for general download, am I legally allowed to (for example) burn them to a CD to give to a friend of mine (he's in his 70's and has no internet) or is he just going to have to do without? I ask as I want to OBEY THE LAW, but if it's out for general free download I wonder if it is then ok. Anyone mind helping a guy who just wants to make sure he's not doing anything wrong?

11. Lahdoz

Lahdoz Noble

I wonder about the trumpet that plays at the end of the battle sequence... What will it be if you lose? Very minor, but something else to get excited about when played for the first time. It's a little hard to hear over the music, but just wait for the music to play out before switching to a different page, then watch a battle again.

12. LeninsTomb

LeninsTomb Chieftain

There is no way Shi Huangdi is out, he was seen in some of the most recent screenshots. I can only assume that this was a mixup on the webmaster's part. Besides, Kublai Khan was a Mongol, despite adopting many Chinese customs, and is much more approriate for the Mongols for the simple fact that he gives the them a slightly more "peaceful" ruler.

13. LeninsTomb

LeninsTomb Chieftain

This may have been mentioned, but there is a screenshot of the Eiffel Tower up in the media section that I have not seen before.

14. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

I would think, so, as long as your not trying to sell it or anything, He could go to a library and download it anyway, so it really doesn't make much difference, but than again, I'm no lawyer.;)

Is it just me or does the music seem a little to short? But boy the website does look (and sound!) nice! I just might go :crazyeye: waiting!

15. covenant

covenant Warlord

I am just wondering if they cut a couple leader heads to make their ship date thanks to take2 needing to make up profits lost from some Hot Coffee.

God that would suck. They dropped some really cool leaders.

16. spicytimothy

spicytimothy Warlord

Kublai Khan is mistakening put as a Chinese leader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Qin Shi Huang instead

17. admiral-bell

admiral-bell Chronic Lurker

notice our endorsement in the site

18. m15a

m15a Emperor

regarding the switching/exclusion of leaders, the text about the civs seems to indicate that the leaders are as we have heard so far. makes it more likely that the leaderheads are just wrong. sure, it's still possible that everything except the leaderheads is wrong (which i guess could happen either way if they happened to make last minute changes) . . .

19. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

The CFC forums are the forums linked to on the site : :goodjob:

The feel of the music is reminiscent of Civ 2 . Hurrah ! The old feel of the game is back ! :D

20. spicytimothy

spicytimothy Warlord

Why the hell would they change Kublai to Chinese and kick off Qin I have no idea... i honestly believe it's just a silly mistake...

i mean, gamespot already had all the traits for all the leaders out already... why would they change it now?

I don't wanna be reduced to picking Mao everytime I play as the Chinese :-(

Edit: O yeah Qin was one of those little screenshots on the frontpage here @ civfanatics... ok now i truly believe it was a mistake :)