• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Official announcement: Hot off the presses. Next Civ game in development!!!!!!!

I found it on my android news, game rant I think it was. The article also used Shaka as an example of a civilization that's easy to dominate with.
I think I found the article you're referring to. It's a nothingburger that says Venice can return to the series but nothing remotely concrete. Just using the Civ7 name as clickbait.

I found it on my android news, game rant I think it was. The article also used Shaka as an example of a civilization that's easy to dominate with.
Can you post the link? I find it highly suspect that this could be actual news about the game. As far as I can tell, Firaxis hasn't announced a single thing about the game at all. And if they did, I figure it would show up on more prominent media outlets than that. Maybe you are misinterpreting the article?

But Venice is expansionist in Civilization V, they gobble up city-states like crazy. This is why I have an 'eliminate-Venice' foreign policy in my Civ5 games.
Quite. Venice in Civ5 is almost never dangerous in the immediate sense, yet simultaneously threatening in the long term.

It works because it stands a whole game concept on its head: city-states. See, that's thinking...
I wish more civs were something like that, not "+1 yield from this resource yay *party horn*"

Can you post the link? I find it highly suspect that this could be actual news about the game. As far as I can tell, Firaxis hasn't announced a single thing about the game at all. And if they did, I figure it would show up on more prominent media outlets than that. Maybe you are misinterpreting the article?
Here's the link. This is just another wish list article that you can tell even by the title.
https://gamerant.com/civilization-7-civ-5-unusual-leader-enrico-dandolo-merchant-venice-good/

Yes that's the link I was talking about, the one Alexander hetaroi posted above, thanks.

I think civ6 began better than it ended. Most of its’ DLC made it a worse game. Too many of the DLC features are shallow and poorly designed. It sounds great when you read about it on the Steam page, but when you play the game it is super tedious, silly and bloated.

It is better than humankind in all aspects though. It is like comparing a boring game to a bad game - sort of pointless.

The game has been out for 4 years. In the past year I have played less than 10 hours of Civ VI, because it has become unplayable. A mass of mechanics and systems that flatly do not complement each other, and frequently degrade the basic systems in the game until they don't work at all as intended (or at least, as they played earlier).

Civ VI is a game that should have been either left alone over a year ago, or should have gotten much more care in the tinkering they did to it. NFP and everything since have done it no favors, IMHO.

Each DLC made the game worse for me, no question. More and more broken mechanics the AI couldn’t handle.

You can’t even fix these issues via mods, because most mods use the most recent version of the game as a requirement

I eventually went all the way back to CivIII, because it was the last title with an actual editor, and used that as a base to encorporate the best elements of 4, 5, and 6 into it

I eventually went all the way back to CivIII, because it was the last title with an actual editor, and used that as a base to encorporate the best elements of 4, 5, and 6 into it
A good chunk of my heart still belongs to Civ2 (and the Scenario League) for the reason of superior, easier, and more thorough editors.

Meh, not even sure this qualifies as news :/.
Yeah, by providing the link, I'm essentially confirming it isn't news at all.

A good chunk of my heart still belongs to Civ2 (and the Scenario League) for the reason of superior, easier, and more thorough editors.

I don’t know about Civ4, but that modbuddy thing killed amy desire I had to do modding in Civ6

Yes I know you can do a lot with basic SQL commands. That is the fracking point. A pretty basic GUI woild allow you to do things like add new units, civs, leaders etc with a few clicks pretty seamlessly.

It simultaneously pissed off the developer, engineer, machinist and Prussian in me

I don’t know about Civ4, but that modbuddy thing killed amy desire I had to do modding in Civ6

Yes I know you can do a lot with basic SQL commands. That is the fracking point. A pretty basic GUI woild allow you to do things like add new units, civs, leaders etc with a few clicks pretty seamlessly.

It simultaneously pissed off the developer, engineer, machinist and Prussian in me
Well, I haven't actually played Civ4 beyond a very limited-scope free-trial demo, but Civ2 and Civ3 both had awesome modding capabilities. The problem is, Firaxis lost interest in supporting fan mods without extensive knowledge of programming languages and graphics modelling programs after that, it would seem, which is a travesty, as I am a, "user," not a, "maker," to use the terms of people outside, "the System," by, "programs," in the old movie, "Tron."

Well, I haven't actually played Civ4 beyond a very limited-scope free-trial demo, but Civ2 and Civ3 both had awesome modding capabilities. The problem is, Firaxis lost interest in supporting fan mods without extensive knowledge of programming languages and graphics modelling programs after that, it would seem, which is a travesty, as I am a, "user," not a, "maker," to use the terms of people outside, "the System," by, "programs," in the old movie, "Tron."

Ya I feel the same way

I think it comes down to the cost (time, money, work, etc.) to make such GUI modding tools vs rewards of having them. For Civ2 and Civ3 those GUI editors may be what the devs themselves used to make the scenarios for those games, and thus it had a better cost-benefit analysis. For Civ6, I don't know about ModBuddy, but I believe (based on the documentation that was released) that the AssetEditor is at least similar to what the Devs used as well.

There's also the question of what you can do with a GUI modding tool. I never played 2, but I did play 3 and messed around with its modding tool. It was fairly easy to use and you could do a lot within it, but the total amount of effects/abilities/variables in the game was fairly limited - and you couldn't really add more (if I'm remembering correctly). As the series' game engine has opened up (and in many cases - the modding potential along with it) and become more complex, you can't really cover all those cases with the same sort of tool as CIV3 had - and if you try to do that you might end up with something like the modding tools for Humankind, which are extremely dense and have - in my opinion/experience - a steep learning curve.

As I think I've said before in some other thread - Moddability has two facets to it that often get conflated, but I think speak to the issues outlined here: Modding, on the one hand, is the question of "how much can be modified," and on the other is "how easy is it to modify something." Civ3 scores pretty well on the latter point, but there's a ceiling on the first one. Civ4 on the other hand, shines as probably the best example of the first point, but definitely has a steeper learning curve (although I think it had some tools provided?). And Civ6 (again - in my experience) probably sits between the two of those in each category. Firaxis did after all provide tools for building/updating/uploading mods (as convoluted/opaque as it may be), templates for said tools (for civs, policies, etc - although they had shortcomings), and a WorldBuilder (even if some features were added late in the game's life cycle), despite some parts of the game essentially blocked off to modders (spy missions are one example). Additionally, setting aside those coming from Civ5 with previous experience - many of the Civ6 modders I know (and myself) had little to no experience with programming, but learned as part of the process.

All that to say that I think it's unlikely that we'll get something along the lines of what we had in Civ 2/3 for Civ 7; the series has just gotten too complex for that. It's definitely possible to create a tool with GUI that can work with general stuff like "how much combat strength should this new unit have" or "what should it be called," and maybe "what should it look like," but it won't be able to encompass everything the game can do, like Sukritact's "When an Oathsworn is killed in combat, all friendly adjacent land combat units heal for 40 HP" or my Tongva Civ's UU ability to extract rewards from neighboring Tribal Villages. It also might not be able to fully automatize graphics and sounds - but that depends on the underlying construction/framework of the game (Civ5 appears to have been a much easier modding environment for unit models and civ music from what I've heard). And so it goes back to my first point of whether it makes sense - in a cost/benefit sense - for Firaxis to spend time doing it.

Here's hoping we have a good out-of-the-box WorldBuilder for Civ7 though (and maybe a slightly less temperamental Asset Editor)!

Well, a Worldbuilder was promised for VI and never delivered. The one that eventually appeared was broken and never fixed. Obviously a very low priority for Firaxis, so maybe they will be equally lacking for VII.

Thought this was related to Civilization 7 at first glance :cry:
Screenshot_2023-06-23-18-01-27-142-edit_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Top Bottom