Official System Requirements

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, Aug 5, 2010.

1. tokala

tokala Emperor

Civ5 uses supposedly a custom game engine. The 8800/9800 series is very inefficient in its VRAM usage, that might be the culprit. Do you have 512 or 1024 MB, and at which resolution do you play?

Both options are less than optimal for Civ5. Any video card upwards of ~$60 would enable your desktop to run with pretty nice graphics, but it will probably not much fun on anything but tiny/small maps. You probably cannot upfgrade the CPU in a meaningful way.
    Laptops in general get expensive it you want to run games decently on them, they deliver only about half the performance of a desktop at a given pricepoint. There are a few "which laptop should I buy" thread floating around in this forum and in the Colosseum.

2. SHADOW-XIII

SHADOW-XIII Chieftain

It seems I managed to run demo on my laptop, single core cpu ~2Ghz, 1.5GB ram, geforce 6100 Go. The lowest possible settings, dx9 mode. Graphic looks crap (fog of war is just black hex, some wheat got black square terrain underneath) but game is loading faster than Civ4 in some cases :p

anyone can confirm that demo runs same as full version (or faster/slower?)

3. tokala

tokala Emperor

I see no noticable differences, and it displays the same version number in the menu screen :)

4. Greep

Greep Chieftain

I know there are some people in these forums that know a lot more about computers than I do so I'm asking for your advice!

My rig is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2,66GHz
    Memory: 6GB of RAM
    Graphics card: GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB
    Motherboard: ASUS P5K Deluxe

I tried the CIV V demo and at the moment I can run it on low-ish settings and the game is playable. I'm assuming the bottleneck for me is my Graphics card right? As I don't have the money to buy a whole new computer would it be beneficial for me to upgrade my graphics card? And if so what would you guys recommend? I'm not looking for anything like top of the food chain but something that gives good performance but won't drive me bankrupt...

5. tokala

tokala Emperor

Sounds like the HD5670 is it for you. 512MB version should be sufficient for FullHD and below resolutions. If you prefer nVidia cards, then the GTS450.

6. McLMan

McLMan Afraid of the monkeys

This chart from Tom's Hardware is a nice reference for seeing where your GFX card sits. Note they recommend not upgrading unless the replacement is at least 3 tiers higher than your current card. GTS 450 would be a nice improvement over what you have, if you can swing a GTS 460 for a little over $225 right now you'd probably get an additional year out of it.

7. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

i have a core 2 duo 2.13 ghz intel e5430 im running civ 5 but not on the highest screen resolution settings i do have a nvidia based 9800 gt win 7 home premium 32 bit

8. Somebloke

Somebloke Chieftain

Hey, stupid question:

In 1996-7 (I forget precisely) I bought a new PC and with it, Civ 2. In 2006 I bought a laptop, and with it, Cvi 4.

In a week or so I'm going to buy another laptop, and with it, Civ 5.

Now moving beyond the sad fact that I'm so wrapped up in this series that I based my computer specs around whether or not it can play the latest version of civ, could anyone let me know if this:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_...9V/version.asp

ASUS K50IJ SX249V Laptop
    Processor - Intel Pentium T4400 - 2.2 GHz
    RAM - 4 GB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
    Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Graphics - Intel GMA 4500M

Will play the damn game? Otherwise I'm probably going to buy this one...

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/HP_Pa...EA/version.asp

HP Pavilion dv6-3040sa Windows 7 Laptop
    Processor - AMD Turion II Dual-Core - 2.3 GHz
    RAM - 4 GB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi
    Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

or a Sony Vaio, which my girlfriend (the brand whore) is urging me to get.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-v...59666-pdt.html

SONY VAIO VPCEE2M1E/WI
    Processor AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor P320
    - 2.1 GHZ
    - 3.2 GHz HT
    - 1MB L2 Cache
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    RAM 4GB
    Graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics
    Hard drive 500GB

If any of these games will allow me to invoke a nuclear holocaust on Ghandi that would be great!

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

The fourth option: wait six months and get a laptop with double the GPU for the same price

10. tokala

tokala Emperor

You won't have much fun with either of those. Have a look at this thread for something more suited.

11. Titus001

Titus001 Warlord

12. Seaswolf

Seaswolf Chieftain

Hello All !!

I don´t know yet, but I think I´m the only one who had download Civ V Demo but could not play it yet.
    I download the demo yesterday night from Steam and bought the pre-order about 5 months ago !!!!!!!
    But when I click to run it, no matter if will be through Directx 9 link or Directc 10/11 link, the game crash during the opening !!!!
    That means I can´t check what type of crash happens because my Windows says that found an error and the program must close and if it finds a solution will let me know after !
    What a hell, no ???
    I checked all the recommendation to run the game and it is ok.

My computer is:

HP Intel i3 2,93 Ghz
    Video card ATI HD 4350 w/ 512 MB
    4 Gb of RAM
    Blue Ray disc reader w/ conventional CD/DVD recorder.
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits
    Hard disk w/ 1 Tera

I tried launch the game with internet off, without the gadgets in the windows, etc...
    But nothing could make the game advance at least in the option part.

Also, I did:

- downloaded the latest driver video !
    - downloaded all Windows update...
    - turned off the introduction
    - changed the screen resolution

I have a idea that could be the monitor that causes the crash, but I´m not sure about it.
    It is a 22' LG widescreen-M228WA with HD ready. There I can see Blue Ray movies without problem or play any other game like GTA4 or even Civ 4....

Any one has any idea what is going on ?
    Or what I can do to solve the problem ??

Tks for your help !!

13. mitrosc

mitrosc Chieftain

Where does the ATI Mobility 4200HD fit into the equation or graphics card ratings?

Cheers,

Mike

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

If you look in here, you'll see that the ATi Radeon 4350 is totally under min. specs, and your card is worse :(.

15. wilmer007

wilmer007 Chieftain

can someone help me with recommended settings. i'm using the demo with dx10/11 and all minimum settings and resolution at 1366 x 768 @ 23hz. I can't see my FPS with fraps on DX10/11 but i can see them with DX9, however i did not like the look of DX9. anyways here are my specs i'm looking for optimum performance i just don't know if i'm using the right settings, dx10/11 feels fine to me with these settings but load saves take forever so i'm hoping different settings will make for laster loading of saves. here are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate @ 32bit with Core 2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHZ
    3gb DDR2 Ram
    Geforce 9500M GS

this is basically my laptop (which is an Acer 6920G) so sorry if it's a couple of years old.

16. tokala

tokala Emperor

Are your drivers for the mainboard and video card up to date? Even if they are, you might try to uninstal and than reinstall the ATI drivers. People got it to run on way worse hardware.

Near the bottom of the barrel :D But it should work, according to other reports.

17. voe

voe Chieftain

what should I prioritise in an upgrade? Don't necessarily want the highest graphics level, quicker gameplay is more ikmprrtanty. demo runs, but is slow in processing turns (where have quick move and single units gone by the way...?)

Intel Core 2 Duo 7200, 2,0 GHz
    nvidia 7600 GT
    8 GB RAM

18. Somebloke

Somebloke Chieftain

Thanks for all of your advice.

How does an i7 integrated graphics card stand up to muster? Barely acceptable, recommended or somewhere inbetween?

ADVENT Sienna 710
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor
    - 2.66 GHz
    - 2.5 GT/s DMI
    - 4 MB L3 Cache
    Hard drive: 320 Gb
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    RAM - 4GB installed DDR3 RAM
    Graphics card Integrated Intel® HD Graphics
    Screen type Widescreen LCD

The whole discussion is making me think that I need to get a reasonably good computer anyway.

19. tokala

tokala Emperor

Something does not add up. An E7200 should run at 2.53Ghz. If it's a T7200, it should be in a laptop, which in turn cannot have a 7600GT :confused:
    In any case the video card is the weakest link.

20. Somebloke

Somebloke Chieftain

So not that much different to an i3 or i5, then?