Official System Requirements

ATI Radeon HD4350
Intel dual-core E5200 2.5Ghz
2GB ram

Can i run the game reasonably(not seeing a snail moving in slideshow) on a standard size map or is it time for an upgrade?

Quick question: upgrading from 2 GB of RAM to 4GB would make a worthy difference in turn times?

I have a E7500 (C2D, 2,9 Ghz) and a HD 5770. My GPU is fine, my CPU is okay I guess (there is no way I could afford a better one) so the only improvable thing left is my RAM. Oh, I have Win7 64 bits if that matters.

The performance is good at max graphics, my problem is both the initial loading time (which takes several minutes) and the between-turns waiting (30-60 seconds and I'm just at turn 200, normal speed, stardard sized map). Frankly, it's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Quick question: upgrading from 2 GB of RAM to 4GB would make a worthy difference in turn times?

I have a E7500 (C2D, 2,9 Ghz) and a HD 5770. My GPU is fine, my CPU is okay I guess (there is no way I could afford a better one) so the only improvable thing left is my RAM. Oh, I have Win7 64 bits if that matters.

The performance is good at max graphics, my problem is both the initial loading time (which takes several minutes) and the between-turns waiting (30-60 seconds and I'm just at turn 200, normal speed, stardard sized map). Frankly, it's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

4 GB will probably not make much of a difference at standard sized maps, but it's so cheap at the moment that upgrading is a good idea anyway :)

If you are running win 7 64bit, I am surprised that it is not freaking out itself on just 2Gig. Personnally I would not run 7 with less than 4Gig. Sounds to me the hard drive is probably doing some memory work that the extra 2 Gig or more should be doing all by itself.

Agreed. You're probably waiting on your page file. Another 2 Gigs of memory should help quite a bit. My processer is a little better than yours, my video card is a little worse, but my turn times are pretty quick running Vista with 8 GB ram. Even on huge maps.

Hmmm. I have Win7 with 2 Gigs of Ram for quite some time and all my games are working fine (or maybe they don't but I can't realize it because I have no point of comparison).

I barely run stuff on the background, only my games and some apps. But for the record, at normal speed, stardard sized map, around turn 200 the turn times takes several seconds (I don't how much exactly, but just to throw a number it's around 30 seconds I guess). Sometimes (like each 5 turns) the game takes the usual 30 secs + 1 or 2 full minutes where the game freezes completely, so yeah, I believe it has something to do with the lack of memory.

Still, I thought that turn times where dependant on processing power, not Ram, that's why I ignored the latter for that long.

Thanks, I guess I'll need more memory :p

Hmmm. I have Win7 with 2 Gigs of Ram for quite some time and all my games are working fine (or maybe they don't but I can't realize it because I have no point of comparison).

I barely run stuff on the background, only my games and some apps. But for the record, at normal speed, stardard sized map, around turn 200 the turn times takes several seconds (I don't how much exactly, but just to throw a number it's around 30 seconds I guess). Sometimes (like each 5 turns) the game takes the usual 30 secs + 1 or 2 full minutes where the game freezes completely, so yeah, I believe it has something to do with the lack of memory.

Still, I thought that turn times where dependant on processing power, not Ram, that's why I ignored the latter for that long.

Thanks, I guess I'll need more memory :p

Turn times are dependent on the CPU, but the CPU needs space to wprk and access to information, if it has to go to the hard disk it sits around stuck doing nothing as it waits for assignments*

*not quite accurate, but it's the gist of it

Hi guys,

My account has been dormant for quite some time (4 years according to Ainwood! thanks for re-activating it) but I thought I'd get back involved as I'm pondering buying Civ 5, and just wanted to know if this setup will be able to handle normal size maps:

Athlon 64 x2 2.8ghz
4gb RAM
ATI Radeon 4800 2gb

Before anyone suggests upgrades, this is already upgraded as far as I can take my mobo in CPU and RAM terms! I've spent a few quid trying to get my old PC 'Civ5 ready' but I was on a bit of a budget. I'm running Vista, and currently still waiting for the above CPU & GPU to come through the post from eBay.

Have been enjoying themeinteam's videos and am hoping Civ5 will work fine. Other than that I'd just like to say hello again to everyone, and if I can't get a decent speed Civ5 I reinstalled Civ4 so I'll just play that instead.

Oh and the £15 UK GOTY version is quite an incentive too :lol:

Your system directly meets the recommend specs ;).
But don't try to play the game in DX10/11 mode. Under Vista you'll get DX10, and it's not really optimized for that, it will be slower than with DX9.

Ah yes well that's because I don't know much about graphics cards and when I saw the one mentioned in the recommended settings on eBay I bid for it. One my processor and graphics card arrive I'll get myselfa nice game of Civ5 going, just didn't want to order it and have it not work, what with it being Steam and all. Anyway thanks again for your help!

Ok so I know less than 0 about graphics cards is this one going to work for the game? EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card 01G-P3-1302-LR?
I have an HP with an AMD 64 2.5GHz CPU and 3Gig of RAM. I would hope that is works :D. The issue right now is that I have upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Ultimate and all of my CIV's 3,4,colonize and V cause the CPU to run at 90-100 %. Ithe GForce 6 graphics I believe is 'built in' to the system as I see no graphics card in the PCI slots? Can I even use another card?

Ok so I know less than 0 about graphics cards is this one going to work for the game? EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 1024MB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card 01G-P3-1302-LR?

It's under the minimum specs, so no, will not work.

I have an HP with an AMD 64 2.5GHz CPU and 3Gig of RAM. I would hope that is works :D. The issue right now is that I have upgraded from Vista to Win 7 Ultimate and all of my CIV's 3,4,colonize and V cause the CPU to run at 90-100 %. Ithe GForce 6 graphics I believe is 'built in' to the system as I see no graphics card in the PCI slots? Can I even use another card?

Your processor is also under the minimum specs :/.
If the Geforce is onboard (probably a 6250, or something around that), then yes, then you can plug another card in there.

Ok so after that depressing news....this is the description of my CPU, probably still under spec but a bit clearer the my ealier information:
AMD Athlon X2 64 2.5 GHz, also I cannot find the graphics cards listed in the specs. so what can I use if I do not find those. Also why am I sudden;y having problems with my other civ games that were working fine before and are not on Steam? and another stupid question... what makes that card below spec?

Top Bottom