Official System Requirements

Have you tried running minecraft?

Yes, which you should know since you read All Other Games and have posted in the minecraft threads. It runs perfectly fine with a few issues due to the old computer croxis uses as a server, why do you ask?

I've run out of RAM on a 4 GB system O.o

I've never had it use up all my RAM. Its crashed a few times since it went beta and before that it went blank a number of times and I had to end the process, but thats it.

Dumb question time. When I open device manager (Windows 7) to see what kind of video card I have, two are listed (ATI Radeon HD 4200 and ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series). When clicking on properties it says each of them are working properly.

Here's my problem. When I start CIV V it plays the intro fine but once the intro is over I get a message on my monitor that says VGA mode not supported (or something to that effect). Do I need an HDMI cable to correct the problem? My wife got my computer upgraded for Christmas so I could play CIV V (great woman!) but she did it as a surprise and I wasn't able to talk to the tech that did it and I'm basically computer illiterate. I can still hear the sound through the whole thing but my monitor goes black then the message I mentioned apprears. The message seems to be coming from my monitor if that makes any sense.

If anyone can quit laughing at this post long enough to give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. :crazyeye: :lol:

The "easiest" thing to do is take it back to the tech that upgraded it and let him finish his job. There could be a conflict between the two video cards, or he needs to explain how they need to be hooked up properly (ie. HDMI cable). Knowing what is exactly your current configuration would be a guessing game. You may be able to look at how it is currently hooked up, but the tech who did the upgrade should have a handle on the specifics. Usually though, if there are two cards they need to be configured properly and hooked up properly.

Thanks for the quick response. I purchased a HDMI cable and that did the trick. Everything is working fine and back to "just one more turn". :lol:

My system & comments:

Core2 Quad 9550 (2.83 GHz)
8 GB PC6400 RAM*
dual AMD 4890 crossfire
500GB disk, nothing special
24" LCD 1920x1200
Win XP SP3 32 bit and SuSE Linux dual boot.

The graphics are fine, but I turned down the eye candy after a while, I don't think eye candy adds much to the game play. The AI turns take quite a while: 10 or 15 seconds at the start of a game and upwards of 30 seconds mid game on a very large map.

I love the game, it is rather different from Civ IV but very playable.

I never liked Civ III & it's variants, but Sid got it back together with Civ IV and kept it together with Civ V (my opinion, YMMV).

No unit stacks is less of a problem than I expected, really no problem at all.

The AI seems very heavy though, the time for AI turns to process is a bit irritating. I read somewhere of a way to limit the AI's run time, but I don't like that. I want to learn how to beat the AI, not the limited AI.

Next year, probably late summer, I may build a new box with whichever of AMD & Intel proves the more powerful. Hopefully that speeds up the AI.

*I upgraded to Win 7 64 bit a few days ago to use all the RAM under Windows but have not played Civ V yet on that.

Does enybody knows if (at least) we can finish a huge map game, even with a powerful pc?

Yes, I have, but it takes a looong time. I don't think the PC has anything to do with it, but the coding of the game itself.

I just wondering if after last patches and updates we had a progress on this because standard map becomes boring!! as i see remains the looooong time beetween late game turns. wright??

The turns are not long, it is waiting for the game to exit after freezing and then waiting for the game to reload that takes a long time. A normal turn may take 10 minutes to move all the units and a minute for the AI to move theirs. When you add 25 minutes to go through the game reload and multiply that by 3 or 4, I get about a turn every 3 days. Patches have tended to make things worse than better.

My specs:

Machine name: OWNER-HP
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: p6754y
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/07/10 08:41:32 Ver: 6.04
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3840MB RAM
Page File: 1668MB used, 6007MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Please Help!:confused:

You need a graphics card

It will run, but only on lowest settings. A dedicated card is highly recommended, but with your PSU I would suggest to go for a HD5670 at most. Several people here opted for that one, and were quite happy with it.

You need a graphics card

Do you think a Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT would suffice?

CUDA Cores

Core Clock (MHz)

Shader Clock (MHz)

Memory Clock (MHz)

Memory Amount
512MB or 256MB DDR2

Memory Interface
128-bit

Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)

Say I kept that but added 4GB of PC system DDR2 memory? Think that would be good to enjoy the game well enough without waiting minutes on end in between turns?

Sorry to butt in but how well would an ATI Radeon HD 5450 run. Would I be on medium, or could i risk high?

Do you think a Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT would suffice?

Say I kept that but added 4GB of PC system DDR2 memory? Think that would be good to enjoy the game well enough without waiting minutes on end in between turns?

A 8500GT will struggle even on lowest settings. You could buy another 2GB, but it won't make Civ5 run faster, just enable you to play bigger maps later into the game without crashing.

Sorry to butt in but how well would an ATI Radeon HD 5450 run. Would I be on medium, or could i risk high?

Neither :devil:

I'm thinking about buying this laptop, I'm wondering if Civ 5 will work on this laptop, and how well?

http://www.littlewoods.com/samsung-...4873-21021&prdToken=/p/prod6085772-sku9597875

Thank you :)

EDIT:
More info:

Intel Core 2 Duo i3-380M processor (2.53Ghz)
4GB RAM and 500GB SATA hard drive
15.6in LED HD (1366 x 768, 16:9) display
DVD Super Multi Dual Layer
Intel GMA HD graphics
Integrated webcam
3 x USB ports; 3-in-1 card slot; Bluetooth 3.0
802.11 b/g/n WiFi
Windows 7 Home Premium
Samsung R540 laptop

Welcome to the forums :).

Intel GMA HD graphics

That's the very bottom limit on which Civ5 should run.
That means i would not buy this laptop to play Civ5, because it will probably run not very well.
The rest of the laptop is okay, but the graphics card isn't.

Top Bottom