On what basis do you chose your civ?

On what basis do you select your civ?

• Cultural - I prefer the culture of this civ, and I like to explore/learn about it

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Ancestral - I am from this country/civ, or my ancestors are, so I like to play it

Votes: 32 14.7%
  • Strategy - I like to learn strategies based on the traits and UUs

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • Powergamer - I pick the strongest Civ so I can own the opponents and/or earn a good score.

Votes: 42 19.3%
  • Racist - I don't like civs X, Y, Z so I pick this one instead.

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Random - I don't pick my civs, I just pick a random one.

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • None - I don't care what civ I pick, I tend to pick different ones for no apparent reason.

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Other - (please explain why)

Votes: 17 7.8%

• Total voters
I wasn't sure if I should pick Random or Racist. I like to choose at random, except that I don't like Montezuma or Isabella.

Dang I would never have expected that strategy and random would be the 2 highest ones!

I usually pick an aggresive civ for the combat promotion. Furthermore I usually play as Rome because:
A) It was the first civ I played as(because Rome is cool).
B) They are aggressive.
C) Combat I Praetorians own everything!!!
and I don't like Phalanxes. How dare they start with the same letter!

Powergamer / Strategy.

I like to focus more on game mechanics. I do not really care much about how the country is/was in real life.

For me it based on one of 2 things Traits or UU and if im debating the one with the later UU is the one i go with.

wioneo said:
I usually pick an aggresive civ for the combat promotion. Furthermore I usually play as Rome because:
A) It was the first civ I played as(because Rome is cool).
B) They are aggressive.
C) Combat I Praetorians own everything!!!
and I don't like Phalanxes. How dare they start with the same letter!

Ceasar (Rome) is expansize & organized, not aggressive.

I play as the Greeks because:

1) They were my favorite civ in Civ III.
2) Aggressive is one of my favorite traits because promotions make me feel warm and fuzzy.
3) Philosophical is alright too. I love cranking out great people with caste system.
4) Alexander and his Greeks just appeal to me for some reason. I guess you could call it aesthetics. I was thinking of trying Genghis, but his ugly mug turned me off of that notion. I like for my leader to appear a bit more civilized.

This is a strategy game, and as such, your decisions should be based on strategy and nothing else.

Random every time, then adjust on the fly to the civ you get's strengths, in a combination with the map you get (again random)...more fun this way.

Cultural or Strategy.
I pick Greece and Persia in most games, but I also like to experiment with different trait combos for different victories...
Rome and Russia would fit into the Culture thing, but I avoid them because I think their UU is too powerful.
I also avoid financial leaders. It's a boring trait.

Random. I like to experiment with different strats on the fly and try out all the traits and leaders. I think playing random slightly steepens the learning curve but gives you a better grasp of the value and uses of all the traits and UUs.

Great poll idea!

Sid the Lucid said:
Random. I like to experiment with different strats on the fly and try out all the traits and leaders. I think playing random slightly steepens the learning curve but gives you a better grasp of the value and uses of all the traits and UUs.

Great poll idea!
Thanks. 10char

Zombie69 said:
This is a strategy game, and as such, your decisions should be based on strategy and nothing else.

I disagree. If I wanted just to win then this game wouldn't be fun. It got too easy a looong time ago (the civ series in general, but Civ4 is no exception for me).

I usually just play it as a civ-builder. Building a civilization to have a place in the world, be it conquest (usually how I end up finishing the game) or otherwise.

Hmm.. I guess in a weird sense.. you can say I use this game to Roleplay.

Though your quoted reasoning is why it's no surprise to me that Strategy is leading this pole.

:king:

I voted Random. To me, that's as essential a part of the Civ experience as huge maps, loooong games and playing solo.

I'm more of a random guy meself. Random civ with Shuffle for map choise, as for difficulty, right now I'm struggling with Prince and need to work on me early moves, thankfully the advise on this website helps me loads so hopefully I should master it soon. If I went the same civ/map all the time this game would get really old, really quick. I like a challenge, I like startin in awkward positions and sometimes it's frustrating to lose because of it but for me it's all part of the fun. :)

Hey, don't forget language practice. A few times I've picked civilizations, like the Germans, just to see if I can understand their replies when I click on the units and see how good high school language class really is. Plus the English have funny accents ;) (just a joke eh mates)

King Jason said:
I disagree. If I wanted just to win then this game wouldn't be fun. It got too easy a looong time ago (the civ series in general, but Civ4 is no exception for me).

I usually just play it as a civ-builder. Building a civilization to have a place in the world, be it conquest (usually how I end up finishing the game) or otherwise.

Hmm.. I guess in a weird sense.. you can say I use this game to Roleplay.

Though your quoted reasoning is why it's no surprise to me that Strategy is leading this pole.

:king:

I think that Zombie is trying to elude to the fact that the game can take on a different aspect if you decide on a victory in the beggining and persevere until you win, or lose (I really don't know) . I found this makes the game a lot more fun (more frustrating) and will, make it more of a challenge. There is always a way to win, that is the beauty of a game, they're not gonna make it impossible in most situations, they can make it unlikely but that is their call.

Cultural- sometimes i feel like screwing up a civs meaning
Stratagy- u kno how this goes
Racist- thinking about the MASTER RACE my fellow germans ;) jkin
Other- i play to play

MASTER RACE

Will not be amusing in any way, shape, or form.

Top Bottom