Open Role Play Challenge: War-Monger Gandhi

@Lansky

Very nice conquest win. An sincerely invitation to my thread and I hope to see your another victory in immortal.:)

Immortal/Epic 50 BC

Ghandi would like to unite the world in peace and harmony under several? religions. The people will not war until their ancestors have been properly buried.

Spoiler :

Settled in place, and went for hinduism then pottery and oracle -> code of laws

Eager to share their new found peaceful religion, the people rushed to build roads to the nearby French people. For some reason not long after this everyone who shared a border with the Indians found themselves at war. Montezuma and a couple others went after Tokugawa, while France declared on the Carthaginians. Safely ignored, the Indians founded Judaism and were going for Christianity, but decided that it was only proper that the Indians would build all the wonders in order to properly honor their Gods. A few promiscuous heathens were sent out into the desert to expand the nation while the rest focused on wonder building.

At 50 BC I only have 2 warriors, 1 axeman and just recently settled my third city, but as you can see I had no pressure as everyone was at war with each other and pleased with me due to confuscianism. ( Caesar converted to hinduism after one of his cities became the 2nd city besides my capital to get hinduism ) Unfortunately I don't have stone, so I'm probably done with wonder building after the great library and NE. I already had 2 Prophets, and am going for GMs or GPs to settle for cash in the Bombay holy city - I was going for christianity there too, but felt I needed to settle a couple cities in case the Aztecs come across the desert and steal the nice spot on the north coast. Though I'll make sure everyone stays at war.

I'm going to flip 2 of France's cities from my holy city eventually I think so 4 cities gives me 6 if I can get them around Education. I'll probably bulb to education early though and go for democracy to get the Mausoleum out. And maybe I'll get another religion in Bombay and try to spread all 3 and see how much gold I can get. I'm guessing I'll be loaded by the time I get rush buy.

Spoiler :

I think it's the opposite, you change
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE

to
HANDICAP_NOBLE

Just delete the "Handicap="

Spoiler :

You could just delete the whole line for a neat looking file ;)

Why it went wrong is, because you define a value the game recognizes (handicap=) and then don't fill in a value. That's why it crashes.

OTOH, you could just type a line with I_AM_MAD_LALALA and the game would completely ignore it.

Hope this helps

Monarch/Epic: 1260's AD (sorry, no pics)
Spoiler :
Gandhi was sick, sick, sick of fielding his non-violent aggression "strategy". So his mind cracked and he became a furious warmonger. But first...

Steal a worker from Cyrus and make peace. Built the Oracle and the Temple of Artemis. Oh, it's a religious game? Yeah, this is sort of different for me, since I usually go (Mids -> )Library -> GLib.

On the way, founded Hinduism and Confucianism. Not many converts though.

Settle up to 5 cities before building any form of units. Mostly a horde of swords.

Attack Monty starting 100BC. Defeat him with catapults at around 400AD, taking his capital which contains Stonehenge.

3 Great Prophets and 2 Merchants were produced. Built Kashi Vishwanath, settled 2 prophets (they're awesome) and sent 2 trade missions to Persian capital, gaining critical gold that permitted my economy to run at 100% research for a long time after taking Monty's lands.

After some rebuilding, declare war on Hannibal at 800's AD. Vassalize him as of 1250 AD, but not after taking 3 of his cities (lose 1 to Napoleon due to culture flip), including his capital which has the Buddhist shrine and Parthenon. Yum.

Moving forward plans:
1. Crush and capitulate Persia
2. Tech to rifles and cannons, ignoring liberalism
3. Vasslize the world starting with Tokugawa and ending with Napoleon

Immortal/Epic 1130 AD - I have a question about teching around liberalism.. EDIT I noticed I'm using the Better AI mod here.

Spoiler :

I've been avoiding war until I get mausoleums out which I successfully did due to spreading my religion to everyone. (Shaka got the only other religion and was at war all the time) Now I'm wondering how to grab liberalism. Original plan was grab democracy and buy an army, but I can tech scientific method in 18 turns so should be able to liberalism something fun like physics biology or communism. Problem is sci method cancels artemis and GL which nerfs my GP generation in my capital. If I grab biology though I get 4 back from national park.. Anyway now that I can goto war any thoughts on what I should do? banking-wall street would be helpful soon. (42 gold from religion + several GMs settled)

And going for religion and getting everyone pleased worked out great, I deny every request and they all stay pleased and prefer to DoW the buddhists instead of me with a couple warriors and an axeman. :) If I wasn't being peaceful I could have taken monte before feudalism and not been slowed down much I think..

Grabbed music for the GA allowing me to flip Khazak and Rheims at some point. Could build Hermitage in my holy city to guarantee that.

Also I founded my 3rd city shortly before 1 AD and stayed that way until I needed to 3 more universities - The 3 extra cities meant 30+ gold per turn in inflation, civic upkeep, and maintenance. Staying smaller helped me generate the gold I have. I am negative gold from tech trading I believe, didn't get anything big.

Attachments

• Grashopa - WM Ghandi AD-1130.CivBeyondSwordSave
    302.8 KB · Views: 62
@Lansky
Spoiler :

I love all the wars you had going, in my game I founded all the religions except buddhism and played peaceful - I didn't get attacked, but the AIs teched faster as they mostly spent the time ganging up on the 2 buddhist civs and not ruining each other.

Monarch/Epic 1200's to 1766 AD (still no pics)
Spoiler :

After getting Brennus, I was going to do goal #1 (crush Cyrus) however, he suddenly was in WHEEOHRN. So I built more units while teching to Liberalism (which I succeeded, getting Constitution for free). At around early 1300's Cyrus declared war on Toku, so I dogpiled too, eventually taking over three of his cities, before having to bribe Cyrus out of the way, then taking Osaka and forcing a capitulation. I was unable to grab the Jewish holy city which Toku had, though. I'm sure the shrine was up.

Afterwards, Napoleon was in WHEEOHRN mode too and I knew he was going to attack me thanks to the stack of his units in the Celtic city that he stole from me culturally. So after fighting a defensive war, I took my city back, as well as 3 of his other cities including Paris. I'm about to take Orleans as of 1766, before taking him as vassal.

TECH PATH!
Of my vassals, Hannibal was my only competitive tech-wise. I was able to trade him Nationalism, Corporation and Steel (of course, I told him what to research).

I was going to try for Democracy with my Liberalism, but Napoleon had research Education halfway into my attempt. Afterwards, went to Physics for airships and Refrigeration for Cereal Mills (not Sushi, gawd this map is devoid of seafood)... I also have an engineer ready for Mining, Inc.

WONDERS I have now
Delhi - Statue of Liberty, Oracle, Temple of Artemis (obsolete), Kashi Vishwanath, Oxford
Bombay - Heroic Epic, Taj Mahal, West Point (in progress)
Patalipatura - Moai Statues
Carthage - Mahabodhi, Parthenon (obsolete), Wall Street (in progress)
Tenochtitlan - Stonehenge (obsolete)
Paris - Scotland Yard, Great Lib (obsolete), Notre Dame
Kyoto - Shewdagon Paya (what!? why would Toku build this)

Monarch/Epic 1766AD to 1854AD Domination
Spoiler including selected screenshots from the end days :

After Napoleon, Cyrus was a no-brainer (see his wonder-infested capital below), then Genghis Khan was defeated, followed by Shaka. It was inevitable. In the end, Gandhi got revenge on all the kids who bullied him in school... in the field of battle. Yeah, or something like that.

Cyrus was busy.

Apparently, he was the most hated guy on the planet and not me. Good thing. Thanks for absorbing so many attacks, Shaka.

Cao Cao was last seen in this photo taken of him. How ironic, he perished in the heat of battle shortly after posing for GQ, citing how he always won and was itching to get his first challenge. He got his wish, and Cao Cao was defeated by a defending Rifleman squad with odds of 70%.

Gandhi had a catapult-fetish.

All the best cities in the world are in India. Because Gandhi assimilated them all.

Not bad, but it could've been earlier if I just shut off research and used rushbuy. (Hey, with 3 shrines, I had the money.)

First, many thanks to Mad for putting this game so high on the list! ;)

I played it a few weeks ago in the settings of Mad's original RPC, Monarch/Marathon.

I had played Mad's original RPC twice with subsets of his original AI selection on large maps and it had been quite challenging for several reasons:

1. Some notorious AI with early Police State can be a pain.
2. Warmonger respect makes diplomacy frustrating on the long run.
3. Somebody must pay for the army.

So my general plan for any Ghandi Warmonger game would have been: build Pyramids and AP, found religions for cash, build an army for defence and strike when ready!

This game was much easier than expected, however, and I got a Domination win in 1478.

Spoiler Report, Part 1 :
Round 1: Early religion, rush and getting Engineered Pyramids

Tech path: Poly - Bronze - Wheel - Agriculture - Masonry - Priesthood - Pottery (Trade) - Animal Husbandry (Trade) - Monotheism - Fishing (Trade) - Hunting (Trade) - Archery (Trade) - start Iron

I moved the Warrior North and realized that I probably was on the Northern shore of the landmass, so I moved the Settler South to claim some more territory and leave room for an other city in the North:

Unfortunately, there was no seafood, so I decided to move another tile South to keep room for two cities in the North without too much overlap. The resulting capital was once again a little low on food:

In my last game, Genghis founded Hinduism and built the AP and was a real pain, so I decided to go for an early religion and started on Poly and built some warriors though I had already lost a turn. But it worked:

I did not convert, though. In the background, you can see the green slime real close, and Monty had already founded Buddhism. I built one more warrior and started on Barracks to let the city grow to size 3 while teching to Bronze. Then I started on a worker, explored the region and drew my first dotmap:

I thought it essential to build the cities close to the borders on hills. They would be under attack sooner or later.

Next up was the Wheel to connect the copper and prepare for a rush.

So the plan was to
1. forgo the early Stone wonders (Great Wall and Stonehenge),
2. rush Monty to get both early religions,
3. get MC from the Oracle and
4. whip n' chop a Forge in Montys capital for engineered Pyramids.

So while I went for Agri, Masonry and Priesthood, I assembled my rush troops, and Monty scratched his head for the last time:

He had not even hooked up his copper yet, so he was an easy prey:

My timing of the Oracle was wrong again, and Pottery wouldn't have come in time if Nappy didn't go for Alpha early. So I made a couple of trades to speed up things:

And another, while I was shooting for Mono to get Tenochtitlan double holy:

And, according to plan:

As you can see, I had also built a settler and founded my third city on the hill SW of Delhi. And I had also correctly pre-built the Monument and pre-chopped the forests around Tenochtitlan, so I got the Forge 5 turns later:

I finally got Mono and since Bombay had already got Hindu, Judaism was founded in Tenochtitlan:

Next, I decided to make a sale of my religious techs while waiting for the Engineer:

Finally, my Engineer popped up and I closed in on the Pyramids:

I switched to Representation and so the first round ended with a success of my build-up plan. Except that the important blue city on my dotmap hadn't been built and Genghis was creeping really close.

Round 2: We become Pope!

Tech path: Iron (trade) - Writing (trade) - Aesthetics - Meditation - Maths (trade) - Theology (bulb) - Code of Laws - start Lit

Genghis had already demanded my excess corn (which I gave) and Julius wanted Poly for free twice (which I refused). Both were WHEOOHRN, so thought it was high time to build up my army. Despite my refusals, Julius was willing to trade:

Next I set up the Horse and Iron city in the North, which had no seafood though (sigh):

And I decided to wage my first war for Diplo points:

I also built a Temple and this to speed up the Prophet in Delhi:

I ran some Representation-boosted scientists in Tenochtitlan. I still got an Engineer from there which was tucked away for the AP. Thanks to ToA and the Temple, I soon also got a Prophet from Delhi which was also tucked away. Meanwhile, I had researched Meditation and traded Aesthetics to Al for Alphabet and further sold out my religious techs:

I had also brought two religions to all of my cities, whipped a Library in Bombay to bring the pop down. As a result, Tenochtitlan became triple holy:

I converted to Christianity and then the Engineer had to perform his magic:

I switched back to Hindu immediately and spread Christianity only to my cities to retain full control of the AP.

I also managed to snag away what I considered the most annoying wonder from the AI:

Just in time if you consider all those red fists on the right. I didn't need Shwedagon Paya as FR was no option with all those warmongers. Parthenon would have been nice, but I didn't even try for it. I got it later from Nappy.

At the end of the Round, religion number 5 came in; I didn't bother directing its placement too much, but it got founded in the desired location. I had decided that Delhi did not have enough food for a Bureaucracy capital, so my cottage-city should be the future capital:

My compact empire at the end of the round:

(Bombay really kept building the Palace as shown in the screen before this one.) Nappy had annoyingly captured the barb city in the North one turn before my troops could get it, but at least it was on the right spot.

Techs:

I was quite pleased with the round, as with the control over all religious income, the AP savely in my hands and its production bonus available only to me, I thought myself in a position to finally attack.

Spoiler Report, Part 2 :
Round 3: going Domination

Techs: finish Lit - HBR (trade) - Currency (trade) - Drama - Feudalism (trade) - Philosophy (bulb) - Music - Machinery (trade) - Construction - Guilds - Engineering (trade) - Paper - Banking - Education - start Lib

I got my second Prophet from Delhi who of course built the Hindu shrine which immediately raised my income by 20.

Tech-wise, I started on Civil Service to leverage my new capital and further traded away my techs:

Med and Lit to Hannibal for HBR,
Metal Casting to Al for Currency and to Shaka for Calendar.

In fact I frantically sold my more valuable non-monopoly techs (Aesthetics, Lit, Metal Casting) for cash to anybody for emergency troop upgrades. I also sold military techs to AIs further away.

I then went after Drama for trade bait and Music for the free Artist and Sistine Chapel, which was to play a major part in my culture wars. Drama also opened up a nice trade with Cyrus:

Meanwhile, my first Scientist popped from Tenochtitlan, and as Delhi was no longer capital, it was ready to receive religion number 6:

I then decided that we had enough religions and made a major civics change, as the power ratios became alarmingly red. Police State had been one reason I wanted the Pyramids in the first place:

Since Al was friendly and not to close, I sold crucial monopoly techs only to him:

He was quite quick though, as I lost Colossus and the Great Lib to him because of my early trades. The price for Construction was too steep, but since many others had it, I thought I could trade for it later. It turned out I was wrong, so I had to research it myself after Music was in.

As my last planned city - Agra, in the upper right of the screen shot had been founded, I opened borders with Genghis and Hannibal and closed them with Nappy to dry out his annoying city in the North.

Inspired by all those thugs, I had also set up several wars. I first bribed Shaka to attack Genghis and then joined Genghis' war against Shaka. Someone also invited me to war against Toku and Hannibal.

Then, one turn to Construction, my peaceful Hindu Meditation on Macemen and Longbows was interrupted:

Next turn, Nappy declared and also brought some company along:

I still don't get how he could declare at friendly (which I think he was in for a long time), but perhaps he dropped only the turn before or he had dropped to pleased for a short time in between before. I quickly closed my battle fronts with Toku and Shaka, even got some money for it, and Hannibal was vassaling to Nappy and getting free from him several times. Al also took peace with very short delay.

I was not able to lead an expansion war right now, since Nappy kept throwing his 7-troops-stacks at me after I had fended off the initial big one with some luck and a quickly conjured Medic unit. I managed to lead my upgraded CR-Axes to Nappys barb city, however, and also had a first success on the culture war front:

I was really glad to get rid of it. Sistine Chapel was still not yet in place, as nobody was interested in Music and I kept getting Artists from Tenochtitlan because of National Epic and SoZ.

I then first razed Hannibals annoying city in the South, because it was poorly placed, and took peace with him. I also decided to build the replacement directly on the Horses:

It didn't last long though, as Nappy conquered it while I was besieging Lyons:

As Cyrus was as friendly as I was broke, I proposed a major tech deal with him in the hope of getting him into the war with Nappy later:

Guilds was a monopoly tech, so Cyrus wouldn’t trade it away and I wasn’t particularly afraid of him. Moreover, I really needed the cash and Engineering since Nappy already had Trebs. When I got to Paris with my shrinking army, it turned out it was heavily defended, so the siege took several turns:

You can see my replacement for the original city, New Calcutta, on the right. I had to reload here because I accidentally clicked the settler on the wrong spot.

And while Toku and finally Genghis declared on me, I continued my march through France from the other end:

Carthage:

I razed Utica, because I planned to vassalize Nappy soon and wanted only one city with sufficient room:

Once Rheims was razed, Nappy became surprisingly tame:

It was a nice surprise that he threw Tours in, which can be seen on the left side of the screen. That left Nappy with the new capital, Orleans, surrounded by Indian territory, and some tundra cities. To ease culture pressure, I finally built Sistine Chapel in my second best production city:

On the right side of the screen with Nappy, you can see that Toku managed to capture Carthage while I was busy in France. So Toku moved up a line on my to do list: I took his western cities including his capital and also captured Genghis’ hill city, Kerkouane:

I thought he was toast already and wanted to see if he was willing to capitulate, but:

Huh? According to the power numbers, he had more reason to be afraid of me than of Genghis. But never mind, I quickly razed Genghis' two closest cities and already brought a Settler along to found the hill city, Madras. That left me with a comfortable buffer of vassals to the East:

Round 4: Endgame

Techs: End Lib - Printing Press (Lib) - Nationalism - start Mil Trad

I then switched to Rep-Bureau-OR and started on University of Sankore in Tenochtitlan. I also built Christian Missionaries to convert my vassals. In hindsight, it was a waste of time since my Power numbers were already sufficient to attack whoever I wanted. But Paris was revolting constantly and I didn’t want it to flip while being engaged on the eastern front. And my economy wouldn’t have sustained another lengthy war.

As Al had vassaled Shaka as well, I brought my stack in position north of Pasargardae and dialled up Cyrus. This was the first time I declared war by my own inspiration:

I had planned to eliminate Hannibal who now was a vassal of Cyrus right after razing and refounding Pasargardae, but Cyrus moved immediately on to Orléans, so I took the opportunity to get that first:

And while I got Liberalism and took Printing Press to help with my economy, Persepolis fell:

And now I was very close to the domination limit:

Al obviously didn't get enough attention:

You can already see his stack marching on to Beshbalik. So while I conquered land in the west, Al began to erode my vassal ring in the east. I therefore went into Free Speech and quickly took Susa and another city further south of Persepolis:

(He actually took the deal, but wasn't willing to part with some tech.) On the top you can see that Delhi is building a settler to fill the gap between my new city and Susa. And while Al besieged Karakorum and I was mopping up Carthage on my way east, the borders of the new and conquered cities popped and my territory reached the Domination limit:

Demographics:

And the score:

It was a very entertaining game, but I had imagined it to be more of a challenge. This game gets increasingly more difficult with larger maps, and I had turned Raging barbarians on in my own games. Also,
Spoiler :
in my offline games, Ragnar was always one of the most dangerous AI. I think the game would be more challenging with him replacing Cyrus. Moreover, Toku is a tough nut for an early rush, but was never too dangerous afterwards.

MadScientist, you said the open rpcs have no expiration date so Sidney Mohandas will join this one. I wish I could play your original rpc, but it gets frustrating to play huge maps on my computer. I'm from the third world, blah, blah, blah, I don't have enough money for another computer, blah, blah, blah, my son needs to eat, blah, blah, blah, you get the idea. I'll be playing this one on normal speed and on the immortal level.

First stop. 450BC.
Spoiler :
I guess it would take a fool or a genius not to settle in place. I'm not a genius, so... There was this attractive looking spot in the jungle really near Carthage with rice, gems and horses so I went there. I built a worker, then 2 warriors and a settler.

Spawn busting can do wonders for you. Order now and we'll add a couple of increased maintenance costs when settling your first cities to block. Maintenance skyrocketed when I settled the city number three, Viajasomething. Hey, I'm philosophical. As one of my favorite singers once said, "It's better to fall into a contradiction than off the fifth floor." Pretty deep, right? As I was saying, I'm philosophical and none of the animals has built stonehenge, prophets give you money...

I guess the map is a little over-crowded because I have six cities and became the biggest country. I'm very backwards too. On a side note, it's funny how Tokugawa always beelines alphabet. It's not like he's going on a trading spree or something.

Mohandas is still a young man and hasn't developed firm legs yet so he's playing it nice. When he feels strong enough, he will expand. This is India now. I'm having to cottage more than I usually would.

Attachments

• Sidney Mohandas BC-0450.CivBeyondSwordSave
    156.3 KB · Views: 122
Enjoy Sidney! As far as children eating, my daughter's come second to my CIVing!

As far as children eating, my daughter's come second to my CIVing!
You are a bad, bad man, Madscientist! :lol:

Stop two.
Spoiler :

Aggressive AI is fun! The AIs are a little dumber and, well, aggressive. :crazyeye: I was attacked by Napoleon, Montezuma and Hannibal. Good thing Bombay and Vijaywhatever concentrated all their attacks which allowed us to dance and get peace treaties swiftly. I wasn't ready to war yet. That's something guys should learn once and for all. If someone's not ready, don't push! Consequences can be dire. Their daddies or brothers may make you regret. Bear with me for a while and you'll see what the consequences were. But first, I'm proud to present Montezuma and Hannibal walking the walk of shame. I just killed the troops they sent, no Indian soldier set foot in Carthage, France or Aztecia.

None of the wars lasted more than ten turns. The Aztec aggression lasted three turns IIRC. Oh, as you have surely seen, the knowledge of machinery was about to be mastered when the war with Montezuma ended. The Mahatma already knew the principles of civil service and India had a ton of axemen from the previous wars. The King devised a plan. Let us pose to the world as a nation of pacifist fakirs. If we are to fool the foreign morons, we must fool the Indians as well. A whole reformulation of the Indian civil system was put to motion.

The people from Delhi were encouraged to become wealthy. It was impressive. A flock of peasants abandoned the farms and started to sell alleged pieces of Vishnu's last incarnation's bones or marble jewelry. Actually, they sold pretty much anything, as long as they could find buyers. The system could not be sustained, but it was temporarily effective because of the great increase in the farmers' salaries. This was Delhi in its irrational exuberance period.

When a great merchant was born, India returned to its normality. The scientists started to research better siege weapons to enable the Mahatma to exert his payback on those rude men who stole his innocence. Gandhi was a man now, he needed no daddy.

We all know that everything has its consequences in the world, especially national behaviors. The merchant spree was not an exception to that. Mohandas gained a taste for trading.

Remember a great merchant had been born in Delhi? What happened to him, you ask? Let me show you:

But we should prevent a French capitulation to someone else. I asked all my neighbors for 1 gold and also made a terrific deal with Persia. Terrific to Persia that is.

After a while

Vassal fueled research.

Well, we had a large standing army with no better use than harassing the peasants. You know how soldiers get itchy feet, right? Nothing that couldn't be solved by "accidentally" killing the peasants to build more trebuchets and spliting our stack in two and sending it to Aztecia. Their culture was becoming a serious nuisance, I gotta tell you. Then

Time to switch to peace time civics.

And this is where we are. Unfortunately, the Khan was sent to Valhalla by all the other nations. Tokugawa is Alex's vassal and Julius is down to one city.

We're going to switch to monarchy, nationalism, slavery and theocracy to raise an army to make Hannibal pay and secure Persian "protection". After that we'll absorb Zululand and deal with Greece with infantries. What should I research next?

The save is attached.

Attachments

• Sidney Mohandas AD-1745.CivBeyondSwordSave
    404.8 KB · Views: 79
1880AD Diplo Win.
Spoiler :
I was thinking of conquest, but the diplo win came up and it only saved me some time. I had industrialism and Alex didn't even have rifles. He must have had a HUGE number of cuirassiers because his power rating was higher than mine. The interesting thing here is that vassal tech brokering can really get you advanced. Small comic book:

Edit: Will there be more open RPCs MadScientist?

1880AD Diplo Win.

Edit: Will there be more open RPCs MadScientist?

Congrats on the win!!!

As far as future Mad Open RPCs, probably not in the foreseeable future as I have restarted playing them myself.

Actually, any RPCs I play can be considered open to all to shadow, just use spoilers!

Top Bottom