Orbis Bug Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and he said "out of my border line". :rolleyes:

I took a look at LagDemon's endless-turn save in post #474, and the reason seems to be that Margalard is UNITAI_ATTACK and is an animal. His AI endlessly attempts to move onto a tile with an improvement, can't because CvUnit::canMoveInto returns false for animals moving to an improved tile but aren't attacking this turn, so he is removed from his selection group, but in response AI_barbAttackMove again tries to move to the same tile to pillage.

My recommended fix for this issue is below.

Spoiler :

Change the code in CvUnit::canMoveInto, just below the section modified for multibarb, from this:

Code:
		if (!bAttack)
		{
			if (pPlot->getBonusType() != NO_BONUS)
			{
				return false;
			}

if (pPlot->getImprovementType() != NO_IMPROVEMENT)
			{
				return false;
			}

if (pPlot->getNumUnits() > 0)
			{
				return false;
			}
		}

to this:

Code:
		if (!bAttack)
		{
			if (!m_pUnitInfo->isPillage())
			{
				if (pPlot->getBonusType() != NO_BONUS)
				{
					return false;
				}

if (pPlot->getImprovementType() != NO_IMPROVEMENT)
				{
					return false;
				}
			}

if (pPlot->getNumUnits() > 0)
			{
				return false;
			}
		}

Also, anyone experiencing this issue in their current game and not wanting to modify the DLL could temporarily work-around it by disabling Margalard's ability to pillage. In CIV4UnitInfos.xml, you would find the UNITCLASS_MARGALARD section and change bPillage from 1 to 0. (If Margalard is the problem unit and you don't want to just delete him in world builder.)

Not sure if this is intended or not, but...
...Every unit I build in my capital starts with rabies

I've looked thru the xml and python, and I can't see anything that would be adding rabies on build.

Sidar Palace, Wild Haven, Song of Autumn, Tablets of Bambur, other normal mid-game buildings, sitting on a mushrooms bonus

2 issues here:

- crash on end of turn (200 turns wasted :( )
- elven recon units in wolf form (marked as #1 & #2 in my savegame) use human models

This crash is caused by a problem in the art definition for the balseraph-style galley. You can fix it yourself if you open up CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml and find the ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEY_BALSERAPHS section. Change the <Button> line to be this:

Code:
            <Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Galley.dds</Button>

Not sure if this is intended or not, but...
...Every unit I build in my capital starts with rabies

I've looked thru the xml and python, and I can't see anything that would be adding rabies on build.

Sidar Palace, Wild Haven, Song of Autumn, Tablets of Bambur, other normal mid-game buildings, sitting on a mushrooms bonus

Disregard.

I figured it out. Apparently having Wild Haven with no animal pens = rabies.

Two good catches, apost8 :goodjob:

However, I guess it's not Margalard who is causing the other infinite end of turn as he rarely spawns. I really wonder what could be causing them...

2 issues here:
- crash on end of turn (200 turns wasted :( )
- elven recon units in wolf form (marked as #1 & #2 in my savegame) use human models
My recommended fix for this issue is below.
Change the code in CvUnit::canMoveInto, just below the section modified for multibarb, from this
Also, anyone experiencing this issue in their current game and not wanting to modify the DLL could temporarily work-around it by disabling Margalard's ability to pillage. In CIV4UnitInfos.xml, you would find the UNITCLASS_MARGALARD section and change bPillage from 1 to 0. (If Margalard is the problem unit and you don't want to just delete him in world builder.)
Thanks a lot, good catch! I can certainly use some review of my code (but this particular one comes from FfH). Still learning...
I think I will either disable pillaging for animals at all, or just allow them to enter improvements. I wonder though if the block of civ borders would not cause simillar problems. Or maybe I should just allow margalard, gurid and leviathan to visit civ countryside?
Also, as Opera said, there is probably some other problem.

I will add some more units to werewolf art list, should help with the other problem.
Sadly, was a frequent crash (always at Belseraph yell)... but now I'm stuck in that EoT. :(
Damn, End of Winter it's very tough! :goodjob:
This crash is caused by a problem in the art definition for the balseraph-style galley. You can fix it yourself if you open up CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml and find the ART_DEF_UNIT_GALLEY_BALSERAPHS section. Change the <Button> line to be this:
Is missing icon enough to cause CtD? Also, some of the crashes are related to inland cities so there may be something else to track down. It is probably connected to balseraph though, as every time I got CtD it was either balseraph city or a one at their borders.
Icon will be fixed in 24.
hi guys im playing as cabalim n i got a galleass , but i dont know why i cant cross the ocean out my border line!! =/
I think the reason it was asked is that in "Vanilla cIV" (an expansion to FfH2) it can sail oceans IF they are within your borders.
You mean galleon or galley, civ_king? As there is no galleas unit in any offical version of Civ 4.
dan83m, galleas is unable to travel ocean squares if not within cultural borders. It is documented in pedia - reading helps ;)
Disregard.
I figured it out. Apparently having Wild Haven with no animal pens = rabies.
How did you manage to build wild haven with no animal cages? It should be blocked.
I will remove rabies from the possible outcomes list. It is no fun to sacrifice great general to build wild haven and then worry about rabies (especially hard for the AI I think).

*snip*

You mean galleon or galley, civ_king? As there is no galleas unit in any offical version of Civ 4.
Galleas is unable to travel ocean squares if not within cultural borders. It is documented in pedia - reading helps ;)

*snip*

I was thinking of galley, but I misread what he said, I thought he was saying that he couldn't traverse oceans in his culture borders

minor query, when will 0.24 be released?

Thanks a lot, good catch! I can certainly use some review of my code (but this particular one comes from FfH). Still learning...
I think I will either disable pillaging for animals at all, or just allow them to enter improvements. I wonder though if the block of civ borders would not cause simillar problems. Or maybe I should just allow margalard, gurid and leviathan to visit civ countryside?
Also, as Opera said, there is probably some other problem.

There may be other problems causing endless end-of-turn, but LagDemon's save was the only one I saw in this thread. If there are more saves with the problem, I will be happy to try to debug them too.

minor query, when will 0.24 be released?

if past history holds true... then Ahwaric updates the changes and then later releases the same day. Its sunday, and the changelog in the bug report thread has been updated ... so it will probably be released today.

if past history holds true... then Ahwaric updates the changes and then later releases the same day. Its sunday, and the changelog in the bug report thread has been updated ... so it will probably be released today.
Unfortunatelly, not true. Twice.
First, I update changelog when there is something new to add, while still working. So changelog editing date means nothing.
Second, there are some other things I want to fix (trait changes and group sizes from FfH 41b come to mind). So it will still take some time. It will be definetly out before next weekend, but that is all I can promise now. Sorry :(

First, I update when there is something new to add, while still working. SO update date only means nothing.

The past doesn't always predict the future... :blush:

Each update has always been worth the wait :)

First, I update when there is something new to add, while still working. SO update date only means nothing.
Second, there are some other things I want to fix (trait changes and group sizes from FfH 41b come to mind). So it will still take some time. It will be definetly out before next weekend, but that is all I can promise now. Sorry :(

okay, within 1 week is fine, though preferably soon (but only release when you think it is done)

I found another endless turn when playing Scion. The cause is a hill giant attacking Luchuirp capital. It try to bombard the capital then causing endless turn. If it removed or change to unitai_animal or replace by a unit without bombard, the game can continue. For time being I've remove hill giant bombard ability and no endless turn since.

Btw, minor request, I add terrain_coast as impassable terrain for work_boat. So it can only move in cultural border, no more exploring using work_boat.

Attachments

• Copy of Korinna.CivBeyondSwordSave
    273.3 KB · Views: 48
Huh? You removed the cultural values civic category? That's sad :( I liked Religion, Pacifism, Scholarship and Consumption. Well, I know it isn't that hard to add another category, put I just thought to react :)

I'm not sure I understand the patch changelog. How do Grigori get adventures if the palace and guild no longer produce adventurer points and the tavern is removed? Isn't making adventurers the whole point of Grigori?

Did you played a Scions game? If so, then you certainly remember how Awakened spawn, right? Grigori's Adventurers will spawn the same way. Many modifiers exists but they are in python. I guess a lengthy explanation of what is increasing the spawn rate would be needed :)

Adventurers moved to FF+ spawning mechanics

don't know wat it means for i haven't tried FF+ but it will just have a different mechanic

EDIT:

i looked it up in the forum:

Grigori Adventurer Spawning system!
The Adventurer GP points have been removed completely. Instead, they now rely on a Scion-esque spawning sytem, with bonuses for all buildings that originally granted gp points and a bonus for the Apprenticeship civic.
With the new system, all adventurers spawn in the capital. This allows me to show a spawn chance, as with the Scions, and it also conveniently drops them off in the city most likely to have training buildings.

I found another endless turn when playing Scion. The cause is a hill giant attacking Luchuirp capital. It try to bombard the capital then causing endless turn. If it removed or change to unitai_animal or replace by a unit without bombard, the game can continue. For time being I've remove hill giant bombard ability and no endless turn since.

Btw, minor request, I add terrain_coast as impassable terrain for work_boat. So it can only move in cultural border, no more exploring using work_boat.
Thanks a lot, that could explain endless turns in early game. It is probably caused by hill giants unable to enter cities. I should probably remove the block (will be able to attack), put a block on bombarding on units owned by barbarians :)() or remove the ability to bomabrd from giants :)( :( pact of nilhorn :(). Tough decidsion, help please!

Oh, and I do not like your work boat change. Why should we do it? I think it is fine to explore with some early defenceless boat.
I even thought of adding curragh type boat just for that - realy weak with small cargo space, but decided work boat is fine for that, too.
Huh? You removed the cultural values civic category? That's sad :( I liked Religion, Pacifism, Scholarship and Consumption. Well, I know it isn't that hard to add another category, put I just thought to react :)
I thought that these are not meaningfull, at least most of them. Consumption was simply pathetic, anyone ever used it (with i.e. scholarship in the same category)?
I decided to merge some of them into remaining ones (pacifism into liberty, scholarship into magocracy...)
I wanted a meaningfull category, more logical and reflecting real governments. Also, some options vere lacking. Now you can customize your empire to be a feudal republic, republic od one nation, centralized republic or just one consisting of semi-independent city states... I prefere that one.
But adding another, flavour centered category would be easy. This time though I would like it be balanced. Should I do it?
Also, I want to add some extras to staring civics. Ideas?
I do not thing later civics should be always better than starting ones. FfH is not that kind of a game. I want all of the to be worth it, yet different, and have their own flavour.
I'm not sure I understand the patch changelog. How do Grigori get adventures if the palace and guild no longer produce adventurer points and the tavern is removed? Isn't making adventurers the whole point of Grigori?
True, I did not explain it much. But Opera and civ_king did :)
Anyway, I think it is easier (a tiny bit) to get adventurer than before and you get more of other great people - and that is how it should work for Grigori I think.

Thanks a lot, that could explain endless turns in early game. It is probably caused by hill giants unable to enter cities. I should probably remove the block (will be able to attack), put a block on bombarding on units owned by barbarians :)() or remove the ability to bomabrd from giants :)( :( pact of nilhorn :(). Tough decidsion, help please!

If the giants have a tech prerequisite in the new version it probably removes the rationale for not letting them attack cities in the first place since you should have units capable of defending against after the very early game.

I think I dislike units being able to carry around those battering rams. If every single unit can be a mini-catapult it makes things like Nilhorn much less valuable, and siege units valuable primarily for their ranged attack rather than wall reduction capability. I'd be happiest with the whole battering ram mechanic gone, frankly. Then fireballs, pact of Nilhorn, or catapults become a necessity instead of mostly redundant (for defeating walls, they obviously have other uses). At the very least it should slow them down; -1 movement points or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom