1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OSNES: Future Shock

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by The Strategos, Jul 31, 2006.

1. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Hopefully if all goes well, this will be a success which means you'll be plagerizing off of me way more than my small plagerization of you. ;)

My main concern with the specialties is balance not coolness. I think I've managed to balance them quite nicely since there has not been a trait doubled yet. However, I may be willing to consider changing nanotechs if you give a good bonus that doesn't screw up my balance.

2. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

No I was thinking of all of the things on the world nanotech is used for repairing veichles WTF? What about nano-foundries or human augmentation or even nanite disentegration bombs.

3. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Well I was kind off invisioning nanorobots scuring over the tanks during battle, doing battlefield repairs, resulting in fewer casulties. Not to say that nanotechnology doesn't do more, but I wanted to keep bonuses simple and easy for me to calculate. Nano-foundries and human augmentation would be too similar to robotics and bioengineering respectively and thus redundant.

4. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

Perfect Strategos! It is a Prestige Unit after all. never intended to be deployed in Large Quanities. really, it's a story Purpos UU.
    I do get one droped with my initial Division right?

5. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Maybe, maybe not. Since in this NES you don't know what military the other person holds without doing intelligence missions, perhaps it isn't as important whether you have the unit as whether other corporations think you have the unit.

6. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

Eddited my secondary specialties.

7. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

Hey Guys

Can I still join this? If so:

Company Name: Christo-Berkshire-Hathaway Company Inc.
    Leader: His Excellency, the Reverend Billy Warren Graham-Buffet the 16th.
    Color: Bright Sun Yellow
    Primary Specialties: Economic Speculation and Religion
    Secondary Specialties: Private Military Company and Heavy Industry
    UU: N/A
    Motto: In Him We Trust
    Description: Formed when Berkshire-Hathaway bought bankrupt churches across the country, it has a history of turning its zealous flock into hard working money making machines. While the Christo-Berkshire-Hathaway Company Inc. does not make a single thing it owns outright companies that make almost everything, from cars to homes to computers. Ohh and GUNS, LOTS AND LOTS OF GUNS!!

8. Israelite9191

Copycat!

Anyway, yes, you can join. There hasn't even been an update yet, and people can normally join even after he first update.

9. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

Coptcat what?

And if I did I can change it! Let me know.

10. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Update 0
    2212 CE​

On December 27, 2212 deep within a labyrinth of offices, a nameless bureaucrat did what nameless bureaucrats are paid to do, stamp the piece of paper that came across his desk and send it to someone else to do whatever it was that they did. It may surprise some to find out that even now, with all the technological advancements we have experienced, something so archaic still took place. Bureaucrats, however, were noted for being archaic, especially bureaucrats of the nameless variety. Eventually this piece of paper made its way down various corridors, finally breaking free entirely of the labyrinth to reach the light of day.

Planet 573412c, called “Ares” has been opened up per Protocol 321.45.1 for a limited war to determine colonial boundaries. Interested parties should fill out form A67D with Interplanetary Oversight Agency.

The announcement of another planet opening for colonization brought an immediate reaction in the corporate community. Exactly 1.32 seconds after the announcement was made, Black Inc. had already filed its paperwork. Feeling that no one would take them seriously because of their racial background, Black Inc. had determined that Ares would be the stage where they would show the corporate world that they were a force to be reckoned with. As a result they sent Malcolm King Jr., the son of their CEO Malcolm King, to oversee their Ares investment and pledged that the success of the Ares colony would be a top priority of the corporation (+1 eco spending point for next turn).

The eagerness of Black Inc. didn’t dissuade other corporations from throwing their hat into the brewing limited war. In fact, truth be told, most corporations didn’t even care, viewing Black Inc. as a brash upstart that would soon learn its place in the harsh realities of a limited war. One of the companies that thought this was A.C.E. A.C.E. is, as all business watchers know, one of the most ruthless companies around, victor of several bitter limited wars that forced a couple of their competitors to declare bankruptcy and fold. A.C.E.’s executives are boldly predicting another such victory on Ares, and are backing up their boasts with actions (+5 heavy tanks).

A.C.E., however, wasn’t the only big-gun company setting their sights on controlling Ares. Though their public image is one of cute cartoon characters and campy music, DPB is not a joke. As rival corporations have found out to their dismay, the public image is only the silk glove that conceals the iron fist beneath. Rather quietly, DPB has shipped quite a few fighter/bombers to bolster their air force on Ares, and kids, they don’t drop cartoon bombs (+5 fighter/bombers).

If their dream is to rule the skies of Ares, DPB is going to have some competition. It is said that you must never trust Germans, and though there was no such thing as a “Germany” anymore, the ThyssenKrupp AG, proves that it is still good advice. With their combination of heavy industry and aerospace technology, they’ve perfected a modern day blitzkrieg spearhead by their feared Panzerkampfwagen, which ThyssenKrupp is ensuring their forces are well supplied with (+5 Panzerkampfwagen).

Drexler and Merkle is another captain of industry that is eyeing Ares. Already they’ve been brashly demanding the surrender of other companies on Ares, a move which hasn’t won them many friends. Of course, since there are no friends on Ares among the companies, perhaps there moves haven’t been all that harmful. Just on the off chance that other companies don’t surrender immediately, they’ve been stockpiling their famed Nanotanks (+5 nanotanks).

Not all companies are so warlike. However, just because they aren’t so overtly violent doesn’t make them weak, as enemies of the Central Intelligence Corporation have found out to their dismay. If knowledge is truly power, than the CIC is one of the most powerful corporations in existence. Already they have started building an excellent network of spies on Ares (+1 eco into construction of Intelligence Center Level 2).

Another “peaceful” corporation is the famous Dar al-Allah Inc. Though the majority of religious companies have adopted a watered-down, pro-capitalist televangelist Christianity, Dar al-Allah used charismatic Muslim clerics to tap into the still formidable numbers of practicing Muslims. This religious force is then turned into making money for the family business of the sheikh-run company, a family business which is the business of well, making money. Under the leadership of Sheikh Hamad Bin Tamim Al-Thani, a second tier prince of the Qatari al-Thani dynasty, Dar al-Allah Inc. is already well under way in its goal of making as much money possible as quickly as possible (+1 eco into construction of Bank Level 1).

Speaking of watered-down, pro-capitalist televangelist Christianity, Dar al-Allah Inc. had the unfortunate luck in having one start a colony right next to their own, the United Church. Led by self proclaimed “Apostle” Cardale, the United Church is intent upon overrunning Ares with their theocratic consumerism. Meanwhile, Cardale seems intent on proving that religion can enflame as well as sooth as his fiery preaching has prompted many to join his Crusaders (+1000 Crusaders).

The United Church is joined on Ares by another peddler of religious wares, Christo-Berkshire-Hathaway Company Inc. There’s not much to say about them, really. They are just like every other church around, followers of a charismatic preacher, in this case Billy Warren Graham-Buffet the 16th, who preaches health and wealth. They do, however, have some weird fetish for guns, with Graham-Buffet frequently seen preaching cradling a high powered energy rifle. His example has inspired many of his followers to a similar love, frequently cumulating to cries of “Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!” (+1 eco into construction of Barracks Level 1).

Last, but certainly not least, a rather queer company called Sea Dog has claimed the inner-most island. “Colorful” may be the best word to describe this company, which specializes in 16th century artifacts and reconstructions, specifically 16th century pirate artifacts and reconstructions. It would almost be a joke were it not for the fact that the companies research and development wing is among the best in the business. After all, while strange poor people are called crazy and locked up, strange rich people are called eccentric and admired. By any account, Sea Dog is eccentric, though granted a very militarized eccentric (+1000 Marines).

NPC Diplomacy

To: Aura

Surrender to us now and we may let you keep your outpost on Ares.

To: Aura

We see ye have run afoul of those scurvy dogs at Drexler. For a mere 3000 doubloons (that’s 3 eco points for ye landlubbers) we’d be willin to make dem walk de plank.

To: Dar al-Allah

There are many things that God hates, such as homosexuals, liberals, commies, and unbelievers like you. Convert now or die.

OOC

Update 1 is Thursday, 10th. Since I am hoping to update as I get orders, the sooner you send them in, the better your section of the update will be.

Stats are in the process of being PMed, if you don't get your stats PMed to you within the next few minutes, let me know.

I was very generous with bonuses this turn because starting next turn things are going to go to quickly spiral downward. You have been warned.

New players are still welcome. They will be given a small competitive bonus to make sure they're not completely burried. They are also welcome to take one of the NPC's.

Spoiler Map :

11. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

ok with the terraforming thingy, does that mean i have like a huge gun that makes a mole hill into a mountain? is it that kind of thing? i mean not exactly like that but... you know... is it that awesomely fantastic?!?!?

12. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

“So what do you think?”

“Its ok”

“Yea, I think it sucks”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing”

“Yea sure, is that why it sucks?”

“Just leave it alone”

“I’m not gonna leave it alone until you tell me what’s wrong!”

“It’s just that...”

“Come on you can tell me”

“I...” Fasto 239 looked at Fasto 421 “I feel like I have no identity man”

“Oh come on Fasto 239, of course you have an identity, you are you, your cool, fast, a super soldier!”

“Yea but... I feel so much like everyone else, don’t you?”

“Sometimes I do, but I know I’m unique, and so are you man”

“Really?”

“Yea man, look who was the first Fasto to have a blue hair? Huh? Well”

“Me” Fasto 239 grinned

“Your damn right, and who was the first Fasto to jump 60.979724937 feet”

“Ha yea thats me”

“See I told you, now come on, lets do mundane and repetitive task #70812342-2452, and you can do that wrist twitch thingy you always do, which makes you...”

“Yea yea I know, unique, alright lets do it”

ooc i was bored, and was watching futurama :p

13. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Yes, you have machines that can do really cool stuff like raise and lower elevation. However, it still takes quite a while to do, like most of the year.

14. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

Billy Warren Graham-Buffet the 16th stood at his pulpit raging against the heathens who run the competition.

“The competition wants YOU to be a sinner! They do not want you to know the truth that Jesus is with you! Most do not even acknowledge the word of GOD! Only two other companies on Ares believe in HIM! Our fine bothers in Christ of the United Church and the Muslims of Dar al-Allah Inc. The United Church is a fine upstanding organization, who, like us, wants to bring beautiful and bountiful Ares in to the house of GOD! The Muslims, while they are believers in HIM, worship a false profit, Mohammad. We ask YOU to shine your light on them and bring them over to the side of YOUR son, JESUS! As for the other companies on Ares, GOD has provided a solution! HE said ‘You shall rule them with a ROD OF IRON!!!’ and so we shall!”

He closed the service with a special prayer, “Heavenly father, we beseech they to help us in our time of need. We need YOUR protection of our cities and guidance to do YOUR will and bring this world into YOUR hands!”

OOC – Is this a bit over the top?

15. ~Darkening~

~Darkening~ Weep, Mother.

Woohoo. Story soon ;].

16. Israelite9191

To the United Church
    From Dar al-Allah Inc.
    Allah teaches Muslims that they should strive for peace, that the Great Jihad within one's self comes before the Lesser Jihad against infidels, and to be kind to Peoples of the Book. However, your fake Christianity, idolotry, and blasphemy of both Allah (whom you call "G-d") and the teachings of the prophet Jesus ensure you a horrid fate, one determined by the sword of the Jihadi. By the Will of Allah, convert and submit before His Heavenly Majesty, joining us in following the un-adulterated words of the Qur'an and the teachings of the life of the Holy Prophet Mohammed. If you do not, you will surely know the suffering of Hell before your time.

To CIC
    From Dar al-Allah Inc.
    We ask that you allow the missionaries of the Holy Word as recitated by the Prophet Mohammed to preach to your employees. May Mohammed be your guide and Allah your ultimate destination.

To Black Inc.
    From Dar al-Allah Inc.
    Surely, the Children of Africa who serve your corporation would be best served with recitations from the Qur'an, as opposed to the blasphemous nonsense given out by the racist Evangelists who corrupt the word of the prophets Jesus, Moses, Abraham, and Adam? Surely, you would prefere to have your loyal employees rewarded with the pleasures of heaven delivered to those who submit before Allah, as opposed to the firey Hell that awaits the idolotrous blasphemers of modern Christianity? Did not the great leader of the Children of Africa, Malcolm X, fight to make Islam the faith of a united Black people, as it was the faith of the West Africans who were robbed from their lands by rich Christian white slavers? May the words of the Qur'an bring light and wisdom to you and your employees.

Just joking, you happened to pick the esact same primary specialties as I had.

17. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

From Black Inc
    To Dar-Al-Islam

Malcom King Jr. doesn't like religion much, but he doesn't like christianity more. So you can send whatever whorshipers you want, as long as the do not get in the way of profit.

18. Israelite9191

To Black Inc.
    From Dar al-Islam
    But of course! Islam sees nothing wrong with profit, indeed, if it serves the work of spreading the message of Allah, it is a blessing. You should know that Islam will not only not get in the way of profit, but could well improve your profit margins, for the employee who follows Islam is an employee who knows how to submit to a superior.

19. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Drexler and Merkel? ROFL just add Engines of Creation and yer done!

20. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

To Drexler and Merkle
    We Are sorry, but Until we finish he Excavation, survey, and Minning Operations, we shall not Withdraw Our Forces, nor Surrender.
    But we do Assure you we have no interest in this planet except for a few small gravitational Anomalies that may or may not be deposits of Monopole Ore. Once we have Serveyed these sites, and Extracted any Said Ore that may be there, We shall be departing this miserable Planet, Except for a Small Communication Outpost to serve as this planets link to the FTL communications network.
    We shall, of course, Consider your two Companies First and foremost in the sale of our Territory when we do withdrawl.

Mission Statement and negotiation for servey Rights will be forthcoming