Other Enjoyable Civilization V Games (Immortal and below)

OEGC#23 CV T283

Spoiler :

The start was a bit rough, there were lots of barbs and I lost some units and lux improvements to them. I tend to build too few units at the start because of other priorities. This set me back with lots of turns of unhappiness and made me build units anyway to get rid of the barbs on top of my pillaged luxuries.

The maya UA was nice, it gave me something to thinks about: wat order to choose the GP’s. I choose: Great Prophet -> Great Scientist -> Great Engineer ->Great Artist etc.

Pedro was my main rival. At the time I reached the internet Pedro had lots of culture, it would take me more then 40 turns to become influential. My hopes were on the international games, which I lost. Pedro didn’t want to open his borders so I planned to declare war and put 3Gmus inside his borders to end the game. This was not necessary, Pedro wanted to be friends, we traded open borders and by that time one Gmus was enough to win.

T283 win Maya.jpg

Last edited:
OECG#24: Getting the right spots (SV challenge)

This time we play as the Incas. The level is Immortal and we play on an unmodded Highlands map with Standard size and Standard speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is kind of nice and your first task is to get the spots for expands that you think you need for a SV. Then you will discover that there are some expansive AIs in this game, so it might be a good thing to hurry up... I had a fun game and I hope you will have an equally colorful game. I also thought that it is time for a game on Immortal, since most games in this thread are kind of "easy". Here you will have to play to your abilities. I won a SV on t294 while playing 5 city Tradition. I expect some of you to finish this faster though. However, this is no automatic win, even if you have one of the most versatile civs under your command. Enjoy!.

Attachments

• oecg24incasstart.jpg
    oecg24incasstart.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 121
  • HISPachacuti_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    651.4 KB · Views: 91
  • oecg24incast294win.jpg
    oecg24incast294win.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 105
OECG#25: Getting no spots (War assisted DipV challenge)

This time we play as Venice. The level is King and we play on an unmodded Frontier map with Standard size and Quick speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is good and there is a reasonable CS nearby. Here the idea is to team up with some AIs and take out Korea before tuning in to a diplomatic game. I was not focused at all and it took me to t228 to win. Nevertheless, I had a great time and I hope you will find this fun as well. Enjoy!

Attachments

• oecg25venicestart.jpg
    oecg25venicestart.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 97
  • FroKSVenice_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    730.3 KB · Views: 85
  • oecg25venicet228win.jpg
    oecg25venicet228win.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 92
OECG#25: Getting no spots (War assisted DipV challenge)

This time we play as Venice. The level is King and we play on an unmodded Frontier map with Standard size and Quick speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is good and there is a reasonable CS nearby. Here the idea is to team up with some AIs and take out Korea before tuning in to a diplomatic game. I was not focused at all and it took me to t228 to win. Nevertheless, I had a great time and I hope you will find this fun as well. Enjoy!

It took me 290 turns, mainly because I couldn't get anyone to go to war with me against Korea. (Germany was the obvious choice, and I think Bismarck even built Statue of Zeus.) Eventually Sejong declared war on Germany and I decided that was close enough, but I had to delay entering the Information Age a bit to give me time to conquer Korea by myself before triggering a world leader vote. Germany had a tough time in this game, after getting beat up by Korea all the other AIs (and barbarians) piled-on.

I used my first MoV to ally Geneva to secure a religion, and my second (quite a bit later) to purchase Geneva. I didn't particularly want to purchase Prague, but at that point I was over my unit cap; Prague came in handy for the cargo ship it could send to Venice. I'm not sure why I never did anything with that great prophet. I have 2 holy sites from Egyptian prophets that I rescued from barbarians. :)

Social policies were Tradition, Patronage opener for Forbidden Palace, Commerce, Rationalism, Freedom, left side of Patronage, Exploration, then more Freedom.
Spoiler :

20210201091759_1.jpg

OECG#24: Getting the right spots (SV challenge)

This time we play as the Incas. The level is Immortal and we play on an unmodded Highlands map with Standard size and Standard speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is kind of nice and your first task is to get the spots for expands that you think you need for a SV. Then you will discover that there are some expansive AIs in this game, so it might be a good thing to hurry up...
I love the Inca and Immortal Standard/Standard is perfect.

Spoiler I'm onT100 :
I went a little wild with founding cities, and I'm not done. Need to get a couple to the SW. I guess I took it to heart that I needed to hurry and get my spots. Then there were just so many good spots for Terrace Farms I had to settle more. I didn't even have time to stop for NC, hope that doesn't come back to bite me. I should have gone Liberty but I opened Tradition like normal and there were so many barbs around I opened Honor; I had to look at the settings to see if raging barbs were on, they're not but there sure are a lot of barbs anyway.

I had to stop here to ponder. I don't know why Oda is sending settlers way down here, there's still a couple nice city spots up north. He's trying to sneak them through the mountain pass south of Huamanga; so I bought the deer and now he can't get through. Question is, do I DoW and take the settlers? I was going to do it without even thinking but that made me realize I have almost no troops. So I might not even be able to kill the two spearmen. And that scout is going to take my workers and pillage my stuff. He's still going to be behind since he wasted all that time moving the settlers south. But I could really hurt him by taking those two settlers (and it would get me two more workers which I'm going to need for all my cities.
T100.jpg

I love the Inca and Immortal Standard/Standard is perfect.

Spoiler I'm onT100 :
I went a little wild with founding cities, and I'm not done. Need to get a couple to the SW. I guess I took it to heart that I needed to hurry and get my spots. Then there were just so many good spots for Terrace Farms I had to settle more. I didn't even have time to stop for NC, hope that doesn't come back to bite me. I should have gone Liberty but I opened Tradition like normal and there were so many barbs around I opened Honor; I had to look at the settings to see if raging barbs were on, they're not but there sure are a lot of barbs anyway.

I had to stop here to ponder. I don't know why Oda is sending settlers way down here, there's still a couple nice city spots up north. He's trying to sneak them through the mountain pass south of Huamanga; so I bought the deer and now he can't get through. Question is, do I DoW and take the settlers? I was going to do it without even thinking but that made me realize I have almost no troops. So I might not even be able to kill the two spearmen. And that scout is going to take my workers and pillage my stuff. He's still going to be behind since he wasted all that time moving the settlers south. But I could really hurt him by taking those two settlers (and it would get me two more workers which I'm going to need for all my cities.
View attachment 584231

Interesting choices you have. I would probably build 1-2 units and take the settlers. You would badly need some more workers and a couple of military units are always useful. The opportunity cost is of course to delay some buildings, but I would probably still do it. In my game Oda crushed Spain, but in yours, Spain seems to do okay. This means that Japan is not that strong (at least not yet).

Yeah, don't declare war just yet. When you finish building that comp-bow and maybe another spearman, declare war; you can chase them down because of your fast movement on hills. If you're lucky those spears will try to attack your cities. OTOH, I suck at this game at immortal and deity. :)

Yeah, don't declare war just yet. When you finish building that comp-bow and maybe another spearman, declare war; you can chase them down because of your fast movement on hills. If you're lucky those spears will try to attack your cities. OTOH, I suck at this game at immortal and deity. :)
The difference between a Diety player and someone at an easier level is not as magnified when it comes to warfare mechanics. The first skill most of us learn in this game is how to kill the enemy. Your advice was sound at any level.

The jumps in understanding in this game that allow you to handle Deity are mostly Sim City tricks and understanding of game mechanics. The military part comes early, as it is not much different than 1000's of other games we've all played.

I decided to attack right away because my city could get a shot off on one of the spearmen and I figured I could get my scout back because they had no where to run. Turned out better than I expected - I didn't lose any workers or tiles to pillaging, the scout just sat there. And the two settlers took off - but instead of going through the mountain pass to safety, they headed right by my NW city so the combination of my city, a spearman and CB allowed me to capture both settlers. It was a good thing, its now T160 and Japan just attacked Spain and looks like he's going to win so I'm glad I was able to hurt him, at least a little, or he would have been a powerhouse just like in your game @Nizef .

OECG#24 t351SV

Spoiler :

The main goal was: getting the right spots. That did not go so well and I think @raider980 did a much better job. The plan was to forward settle to the north, but Japan beat me to it. So at t100 I had 3 cities and changed the plan to a tall empire. Then Japan came with lots of units and war was unavoidable. I build some CB’s. Defending was easy with the UA maneuverability but I wanted more at that point. I could use another city and Japan would be a little less threatening with less cities. With the CB’s I took Satsuma and made peace to restore happiness.
T100.jpg

When Japan build Petra, I could not resist to take over Tokyo (with XB’)s. This was costly because of the Japanese Great Wall and my lack of combat skill :).
T200.jpg

The rest of the game was pretty peaceful. I was the first to choose an ideology and chose Order. Near the endgame most of the world chose Auctocracy (the world ideology at that point). So there was lots of pressure but luckily happiness stayed positive.
T351.jpg

#24. Peaceful (but occasionally tense) SV on turn 346. I started this one a week ago and stalled around turn 200. (got busy with other things) Just finished it today. I settled 5 cities; the last one very late to grab some coal. Honor opener, full Tradition, Patronage(2), full Rationalism, Freedom(6), and a little Commerce. Patronage was mainly because I didn't get to the Medieval era quick enough to unlock Commerce.
Spoiler :
20210209181218_1.jpg

I tried #24 again going Liberty instead of Tradition to grab lots of good spots (but on this map you can kind-of take your time doing so) and abandoned it; I was too far behind in science, and while I would probably catch up eventually it wasn't going well. It was still interesting, just from the perspective of how many Mayan missionaries I captured from barbarians; at least 20. He seemed to be going for a religious victory or something (even tho' there's not one) His religion wasn't all that great, but he got faith per turn for every city following his religion, and he plowed all that faith back into missionaries and prophets. It was weird.

Then I played it again with Tradition; settled 4 or 5 cities, and didn't bother with one spot that was a really good city for me the first time around (it had sugar and copper, and some nice desert hills. A good spot for Petra. But it was too close to Japan) I also took Aesthetics for my filler policies between Tradition and Rationalism. It played totally differently, but I still won on the exact same turn 346. I could have won about 5 turns earlier, but I lost track of the great scientist cooling his heels in one of my expos. :crazyeye: This time Spain eliminated Japan, then she declared war on me -- just as I was upgrading my rifles to GW Infantry and a few turns later, real Infantry. That didn't turn out so well for her. I captured one city and took (and razed) another in the peace deal. Then about 10 or 15 turns later I caught her spy stealing from me and I declared war again and took Madrid and Kyoto. :lol:

I need to quit playing games now and get back to either my housecleaning or doing my taxes.

OECG#26: Culture above anything

This time we play as France. The level is King and we play on an unmodded Highlands map with Small size and Quick speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is fairly good and I am sure you will enjoy your neighbourhood. The name of the game is to go for a CV with Napoleon. I won on t195 and there are possibilities to do it a lot faster. Anyway, this should be a nice and easy ride, fittingly on Valentine´s Day. Enjoy!

Attachments

• oecg26francestart.jpg
    oecg26francestart.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 54
  • HKSmNapoleon_Ini_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    619.4 KB · Views: 47
  • oecg26francewint195.jpg
    oecg26francewint195.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 55
OECG#26: Culture above anything

This time we play as France. The level is King and we play on an unmodded Highlands map with Small size and Quick speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is fairly good and I am sure you will enjoy your neighbourhood. The name of the game is to go for a CV with Napoleon. I won on t195 and there are possibilities to do it a lot faster. Anyway, this should be a nice and easy ride, fittingly on Valentine´s Day. Enjoy!

Not sure how you got there so fast, although CV seems to be your specialty :) I got a CV on turn 236 or 237, not sure how you count it. Early-on I thought I would have to kill Elizabeth, but she wasn't a problem. I settled 5 cities; the northernmost one in the screen shot is cut off. The lack of iron was annoying. I was friends with everybody -- even my enemies liked me. :D

Spoiler :
20210214132848_1.jpg

OECG#27: Minimalistic approach to OP

This time we play as Poland. The level is Immortal and we play on an unmodded Continents map with Standard size and Standard speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is very good but you are a little short on good expands. As a benchmark I only settled two expands. Nevertheless, here the idea is to go for a peaceful win. Try to stay out wars. I got a CV on t280 but you can go for a DipV or SV if you like that better. Obviously you have one of the best civs to your aid and you should be able to get social policies left and right. As a benchmark I went full Tradition, Piety 3, full Patronage, full Aesthetics, Commerce opener, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Freedom 8. Enjoy!

Attachments

• oecg27polandstart.jpg
    oecg27polandstart.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 93
  • CISPoland_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    648.7 KB · Views: 76
  • oecg27polandt280win.jpg
    oecg27polandt280win.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 75
OECG#27: Minimalistic approach to OP

This time we play as Poland. The level is Immortal and we play on an unmodded Continents map with Standard size and Standard speed and all VCs are enabled and QM and QC are turned on as usual. Your starting area is very good but you are a little short on good expands. As a benchmark I only settled two expands. Nevertheless, here the idea is to go for a peaceful win. Try to stay out wars. I got a CV on t280 but you can go for a DipV or SV if you like that better. Obviously you have one of the best civs to your aid and you should be able to get social policies left and right. As a benchmark I went full Tradition, Piety 3, full Patronage, full Aesthetics, Commerce opener, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Freedom 8. Enjoy!

I'm playing this one now; don't remember what turn; just over 300. I settled 3 cities, then eventually settled one more just to keep an AI from plopping a city right on my border. Peaceful, hah! I should have ignored that and participated in some of the early wars I was invited to. I'm at war with most of the AI's right now, including some that I had DoF's and research agreements with. I'm defending myself pretty well but losing more units than I'd like; if a few of them get tired of fighting, so I'm down to just one front, I'm going to kill whoever is left and burn all their cities.

Edit: SV on turn 361. I'm not used to playing at Immortal level. I probably could have shaved 8 or 10 turns off of that, but I researched Internet (I used Oxford for it) before Satellites because I needed the extra tourism. Tradition, Patronage, Rationalism, Commerce, Freedom(9), and Exploration(2)
Spoiler :

Here's my little empire. You can't see Salzburg, that's mine too but it hasn't come out of resistance yet; Maria Theresa gave it to me in the peace deal. (that's the same way I took Bursa and Linkoping, but later I sold Linkoping back to Gustav for 2 luxes and a bunch of GPT.)
I did not declare any wars, they all attacked me. (so did Dido, but she was at war with Attila or Enrico at the time and I never saw any Carthage units) Hong Kong was an Austrian city when I captured it.
20210301131650_1.jpg

Last edited:
I played #27 again. A lot of denouncements after turn 300 but nobody declared war against me even tho' my military was not as strong as last time. (it was strong enough) Maybe because I never proposed anything in the world congress except the Worlds Fair, and I seldom voted against anybody's resolutions? SV on turn 339.

Top Bottom