1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Reich - Prof. Garfield vs. JPetroski

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by JPetroski, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Well played, making an amphibious attack against my airfield.

Attached Files:

2. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Thanks. I think it has caused a bug, however (or at least, I think your attack on the ship caused a bug). I had three different army groups in Calais (pretty sure 2x depleted, 1 full) and now only have 1. I can't see any indication that you killed or attacked it last turn. Thus, what I think occurred is I had them set to "sleep" so they were "loaded" on the armada, and when you attacked the armada (which moved it out of the port) it somehow deleted the 2 battle groups.

I looked around nearby to see if perhaps they retreated but don't think that occurred. I intend to replace them via cheat menu next turn and put them back in Calais unless you know where they went. This is probably an issue we need to explore fixing given it has caused a problem now, just imagine what it might do to a player planning D-Day.

Attached Files:

3. Prof. Garfield

I don't think I'll be able to figure much out without poking around your save. I don't have any ideas for why that happened. The munition generation moved the ship out of port, since there was no military port in the city, then I attacked with a fighter before remembering that fighters can't damage them.

Either one of us needs to re-create the situation in a separate game, or we'll need a threshold beyond which we can look at each others games and spoiler videos. I'm inclined to think that 15 to 20 turns back is far enough away that there shouldn't really be any secrets (and I probably won't be in a position to launch D-Day in 20 turns anyway). Maybe tech path is relevant 20 turns out?

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

The issue is something to fix before general release, not really something that matters too much now but when I get home I'll add it to the list of stuff to fix later.

5. Prof. Garfield

Survivors of the north sea ambush of B17s turn south and attack military ports in the Netherlands.

Attached Files:

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

You seem to be making pretty good time with your attacks on the ports.

Attached Files:

7. Prof. Garfield

Two wolf packs were destroyed in the strategic bombing of a military port. Let me know if this doesn't show up in the combat report, since that information is kind of important.

Attached Files:

8. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

This did not show up. Are they supposed to be destroyed when a port is bombed? I can't keep track of the features we have at this point ;)

Attached Files:

9. Prof. Garfield

Good sub hunting this turn, as my units blindly sail into wolf packs.

Destroying a port kills the sea units in town, along with the trains. The idea is that the units shouldn't be able to 'hide' in port, and be invulnerable, especially if a battle group is there. Trains are killed so that they are vulnerable if the allies overload a single port and some trains are stuck for a turn.

If the town has no port, then the 'k' action puts the units in an adjacent ocean square. So, without a port, the unit can't stay in the city, and with a port, they are vulnerable to strategic bombing.

We could change it so that when the port is destroyed, the units are simply put into the ocean ("Ships sail into open water to avoid being destroyed in port"). That way, tactical attackers are also necessary to make the kill.

If we keep it as it is, there will have to be a message for the victim.

Attached Files:

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Thanks for the explanation - I can't keep track of all we've done hehe. The system seems fine to me as is but I'll need to update the readme and potentially the pedia as I don't think there's a reference to this mechanism in it.

Attached Files:

11. Prof. Garfield

Turn 12

Attached Files:

12. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

I used cheat menu to restore my battle group and depleted battle group to Calais.

Just as an FYI you did not end your turn over Sweden and I observed a flight of a few B-17s and Hurricanes at low level. I declined to attack them this turn as that would not be sporting however I can't forget seeing them. I figure you have a turn to move them whatever direction you want, so if I find them next turn they're fair game.

Attached Files:

13. Prof. Garfield

I'll be sure to extend the same courtesy the first time you don't save over Sweden. However, in the future we can simply consider that mistake a 'security leak' and celebrate your good fortune.

Attached Files:

14. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

Fair enough. There were certainly plenty of those going around during the war.

Attached Files:

15. Prof. Garfield

I'm almost starting to think that night bombing is more dangerous than day bombing at the moment. Maybe I do need to play a game or two against myself to test tactics. Of course, day bombing gives me targets close to home, so even when I lose stuff, I can counter attack.

Attached Files:

16. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

I anticipate that you'll be making some tactical adjustments that should help prevent mass losses, but I am also hoping that the radar settings and technologies actually do what we intended them to do. I will admit I found the RUDT tables very challenging to understand. That's not playing a role this early in the scenario, but we ideally will have a cat and mouse game where I won't always be able to rely on my radar to pick you up more or less accurately, assuming you invest in such things.

I found that my last turn youtube video did not record sound but I spent a lot of time talking about how right now, things are going well for me, but disturbingly you've done a great job of taking out the ports (although Brest seems to deserve a medal) and that I suspect a giant snowball will eventually arrive. I'm not really willing to engage you in areas where I stand to lose a ton of fighters but once the skies over Germany are blotted with Mustangs, I won't have much choice now will I?

Attached Files:

17. Prof. Garfield

The few Stirlings that make it to Northern Germany manage to destroy some urban targets.

The port at Brest survives attacks by another few bombers. I've been trying to finish it off with the forces immediately available, but it's never quite enough.

I'll have to change the code for damaged B17s, since they gain full movement points when created by flak damage, so they can immediately fly away. I think I neglected to set a home city for them as well. Should they be just NONE, or should they be homed to the city of the original bomber?

Attached Files:

18. Prof. Garfield

I don't blame you. There is a lot of stuff in OTR that I would implement differently now. Radar detection (or at least the modification of it) I would probably change.

For the reaction module I'm planning to write, I'm thinking that I'll split the hit or miss calculation from the damage calculation, so that the effects of modification are clearer. If someone just wants to have one schedule, they can make accuracy 1 and then have 0 damage for some of the schedule.

19. JPetroski

JPetroski Emperor

We lose a 190 trying to attack the Brest forces... 1x P-47, 1x Spit, and 2x B-17 are way too much to chew and likely a portent of things to come.

Attached Files:

20. Prof. Garfield

Finally killed that Brest port.

Attached Files: