1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Overall Civ Elimination Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jlim201, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ixias

ixias Warlord

Abomination of random elements? The only random aspect of them is the Barbarian conversion rate, which is now at 67%. I agree that the late game UU is a bit of a detriment, but it's a pretty strong unit that's on a fairly useful upgrade path. While I don't think the Hanse is the best UB, it's certainly powerful and in the top tier. 5% production increase per CS trade route really adds up. Combine it with Patronage and Freedom and you have some powerful City-State trade routes.

2. LastSword

LastSword Prince

:] Random, because they have no synergy and even anti-synergy.

Glad you mentioned Freedom-Hanse interaction (Patronage is redundant). It is the only thing that makes CS trade routes valid.
    B1. It makes real time Hanse starts working not with Banking, but late Industrial/Modern Era. You have two Unique elements that comes after the point many people lost interest in game.
    B2. Freedom on Germany...
    B3. Diplo Victory.

Panzer and "useful" in one sentence. :] Sorry, but Tank tech path is ignored even in domination game (oil -> aircraft/naval). Especially, you will not see Panzer when you are going B3.
    U1. It might be some fun with Autocracy (double resource, low maintaince + UA) or Order, but we have B2.

Unique Ability. So much gold, wow, so many posibilities, wow, great army, wow, but B2 makes our army not so amazing. You might notice it also kick in during late game (increased unit cost). What have we left?
    Barb converting, very dependent on settings you play. Anyway, it is not like in BNW those units matter in any aspect.

Abomination crying to kill it. With fire.

3. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Arabia - 20
    Aztec - 8
    Babylon -5 Nothing but the UA. Not even the UA, but the early scientist. Play a game with Babylon where you delete the the first GS when he spawns at writing - there's nothing left to the civ. Everything else on the list has more than one thing going for it, except Babylon.
    China - 17
    England - 9
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 20
    Korea - 21
    Maya - 25Everything they have is good.
    Poland - 25
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 8
    Zulu - 19

4. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

CS trade routes are severely underrated. They generate only a little less gold than regular trade routes, but as a compensation they don't feed any money to your enemy. I typically only send my TR to civs if I'm going cultural. But yeah, I prefer Food sea routes to the capital, pays off the best.

And Freedom is actually a better domination tree than Order. 6 free Foreign Legions without maintenance, faster army construction, superior defensive... Hell, it may be better at it than Autocracy itself. Granted, Panzer would be buffed by Blitzkrieg or whatever-it-was-called policy, but whatever.

5. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Well at least quote the entire UA, 'Receive free Great Scientist when you discover Writing. Earn Great Scientists 50% faster' In other words your advantage in science will increase as the game progresses. More tech means earlier Universities and if you need them Public Schools (depending on the level you could be an era ahead by this point). Quicker to reach Ideologies means 2 free tenets and way before the AI (even Poland). A science victory should be easy, especially if you use your technology advantage to crush any rivals. If not your technology lead means you can pick your victory condition
    The UU is useful at destroying Ancient/Classical units in the field. The UB is useful when you have an aggressive neighbour thanks to the AI tendency to human wave melee units at your cities.

Arabia - 20
    Aztec - 8
    Babylon - 6
    China - 17
    England - 9
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 20
    Korea - 21
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22 Useful if you are bad at ideologies, a Human player will crush you early on because of this. Only good as an AI because social policies were a theme in the expansion
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 8
    Zulu - 19

6. Troll4Hire

Troll4Hire Chieftain

Arabia - 20
    Aztec - 8
    Babylon - 6
    China - 17
    England - 9
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 20 + 1 = 21
    Korea - 21
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 8 - 3 = 5
    Zulu - 19

Incas are able to not just survive, but prosper on the most ridiculous, almost foodless highland-ish starting zones. UI+UA makes this civ highly flexible. UU isn't the best, but it's fleeing ability makes it surprisingly useful when you have to hold off or hunt early barbs.

Siam just has no place on this list anymore. The competitors left are way more powerful civs, each and every one of them. I also find it odd that Siam is still chillin' here, while Babylon almost got nuked to extinction.

7. vibe96

vibe96 Warlord

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 8
    Babylon - 6
    China - 17
    England - 9
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 5

Korea is good for science.
    I have never really liked the arabians.
    Zulu - 19

8. isau

isau Deity

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 8 + 1 = 9
    Babylon - 6 - 3 = 3
    China - 17
    England - 9
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 5
    Zulu - 19

This was a hard choice. Most of these civs are good, but one I would have up voted as being in the top 5 (Sweden) is already gone.

Babylon takes a hit for reasons explained by others. The UB and UU aren't anything to write home about. The science bonus is pretty good although Sweden with a few friends is a lot more flexible (and can do more with those Great People too).

Aztecs get the upvote on account of IMO being much much better than meets the eye. The UU promotions carry over on upgrade, and the Culture bonus for kills gives you early policies in spades. IMO Aztecs in the right hands deserve a spot in the top 5 civs. They require a specific mindset (war for the sake of sheer casualties, which means going to war for more than just trying to get cities). Jaguars are monsters that are with you from the very beginning, and if you play your cards right, until the very end.

9. Walter R

Walter R Great Engineer

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    Babylon - 3-3=0
    China - 17
    England - 9+1=10
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 5
    Zulu - 19

Babylon: I'll do the honours...
    England: Don't understand why some folk are fixated with downvoting this civ...is this honestly a CiV thing or something else?

10. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Babylon doesn't even make the top 10. What a travesty :eek:

11. Troll4Hire

Troll4Hire Chieftain

Well, Korea's still there... There's still a chance for a "science victory". :D

12. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

Woah, Babylon is dead? Uh, what? I think they're kind of dull, but they're also awesome.

13. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

That's kind of the point though. Play them once to win an SV, after that there's no reason to revisit them unless you just want to do the same thing all over again. I think they should win the UA thread but in the overall they really fall short.

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    China - 17
    England - 10
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 16 BNW has made them good for any VC. The cost reduction on units is great even for peaceful civs who need a standing army to discourage opportunistic AIs. The barb conversion allows you to build an army and early infrastructure or wonders. CS trade routes provide a decent amount of gold now so it's not so bad to use them to buff the hanse and the hanse comes around the same time the science from trade routes become negligible so you really don't miss it.
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 10 I like their UA but the UI seems kind of pointless when paired with the massive income from the UA. Most CSs have repeats of luxuries. It's easy to keep an ally with each luxury when you're making that much money maybe if it came earlier I'd find more benefit from it. The UU is take it or leave it imo. I just wish its ability wasn't a one time use thing. It might be more interesting then.
    Siam - 5
    Zulu - 19

14. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Warlord

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    China - 17
    England - 11
    Ethiopia - 16
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 25
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 2
    Zulu - 19

England is one of the most solid civs in the game. Even with no water on the map they still get a huge boost from the early spy and the longbowman is one of the best ranged UU in the game.

15. Chippeth

Chippeth Chieftain

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    China - 17
    England - 11
    Ethiopia - 13
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 26
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 2
    Zulu - 19

People downvoting Babylon and Siam and Arabia and England whilst Ethiopia is sitting here out of place? What's up with that?

And the Maya are just great. Fun and powerful, similar to Poland.

16. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    China - 17
    England - 11
    Ethiopia - 10 The UU sucks, the UA is situational at best, and the UB is good, but I'd rather have the pyramid or floating gardens any day. No UB can carry a civ on its own.
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 26
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 3 Erm, yeah, so the UU rocks, the UA rocks, and the UU is better in BNW than it used to be. Super strong civ.
    Zulu - 19

17. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Sorry to see Babylon go. Civ 5 (or any of the civ games) often boils down to researching fast, and Babylon excels at this like no other civ. Babylon can get faster victory of any type, simply because Babylon can reach the necessary techs faster.

18. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Arabia - 17
    Aztec - 9
    China - 17 + 1 = 18 China has a great UB and a great UU. Of the civs which are left, they are the most fun to play.
    England - 11
    Ethiopia - 10
    Germany - 15
    Inca - 21 - 3 = 18 A great civ if you like to turtle in the mountains. Also an easy civ for beginners. Otherwise, skip them and play a civ with more fun factor.
    Korea - 22
    Maya - 26
    Poland - 22
    Portugal - 13
    Siam - 3
    Zulu - 19

19. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

UU dies to Pikemen pretty easily in my games

20. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

The UU is amazing when it comes to defense or offense (free Drill I promotion? Yes, please!), the UA keeps you safe when you're small so you can expand, and the UB is amazingly good.

Erm, yeah, the UU sucks, the UA is way overrated, and the *UB is a piece of junk. Siam is awful.