Patch 1.09 released!

I've just tested a new game quickly. It looks like the sluggish gameplay will still be there as the game is still at 'below normal priority' in the Windows processes list.

I'll just have to carry on Alt-Tabbing to keep it playable.

Zakharov said:
I've just tested a new game quickly. It looks like the sluggish gameplay will still be there as the game is still at 'below normal priority' in the Windows processes list.

The game only goes to below normal when it is not the active application.

Hey Traxis MANY THANKS for that RapidShare link! Took me about 40 seconds to download the whole patch!

*bows*

snepp said:
The game only goes to below normal when it is not the active application.
Ok. So why does Alt-Tabbing out and back again speed things up?

notoptimal said:
I d/l'ed and installed the 1.09 patch just now via the Advanced menu. During the patch install process, the installer popped up a dialog box with an Error 1706, no valid source. :sad: I clicked the OK button, InstallShield said it was searching for game components. That went on for about a minute, then said the update was installed successfully. :confused: I started cIV, and checked the build version (Advanced -> About). Lo and behold, the update is in, or at least appears to be in. :hmm: Going to fire it up in a bit and see if the patch took or not.

notopt

same here.

Downloading now, approaching 20%. :D

awooooga, 76%, its just maybe, possibly gonna work 5th time round

I've done some more testing in windowed mode, checking the process priority every few seconds. When the game is running smoothly it is at normal, but when it gets sluggish it is below normal. After Alt-Tabbing it goes back up to normal again.

I don't know why it should do this because as far as I'm aware all other processes are permanently at normal, even if they are not active.

The problem with Civ 4 is that even if you force a higher priority it soon jumps back down to below normal. I'm sure Firaxis could solve a lot of performance issues by sorting this out.

Traxis said:
Okay, finished uploading. Get it here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/8071986/v109PATCHREL.exe.html

Scroll down and click the button that says 'Free'. On the next page, you will need to wait ~30 seconds and then the download link will appear. I tested it and was downloading at ~150k/sec (my max).

dling fine!!
thx!!

finaly i can go on playing! YYEEEEEEHAAAA!

Thx for the Rapidshare link.

Updating in game kept crashing my pc. 1.09 doesn't like 1.08, I guess.

Ingame download worked fine, albeit slow ... gave me a chance to listen to the great main menu track for 10 times in a row, things could be much worse. ;)

Testing now ...

I love the Xfire choice at the end. "Yes, I would like to install Xfire; No, I don't want to play with my friends online." If you don't install Xfire people will think you don't have any friends.

karadoc said:
I really don't like the way that Civ4 presents Xfire. It makes it sound as though you _need_ it to play a multiplayer game with your friends, which is absolutly not true. Install programs should tell the truth. I think it's really bad form, misleading people like that.
I agree, and I thought the exact same thing when I saw how they worded it. The computer savvy will know better, but your everyday, average gamer might think that it's necessary to install xfire to play online.

Palleon said:
Hurray, my crash to desktop problems got replaced with a crash to desktop plus having my resolution and colors distorted, and having to reboot. :(

Same here! The game used to simply dissappear and the desktop would suddenly and smoothly appear. This time, after the patch install, things seemed to go fine.

Then....................suddenly a black screen with cursor on a black screen. It would move for me, the music played, but when the black screen dissappeared, I beheld the desktop in 800x600, which was not my setting. And too, it appeared to look like it was in "safe" mode, as the graphics were screwed up.

Reboot time! I guess they are going to need to come out with another patch real soon, as mine is not fixed.

Mumble, grumble, son of a ........., what the Fu.......,when are they going to fix the many, many problems?

hah, ha haha, hahahahahahaha, it works, not leaving my attic till saturday

Boy that download was slow. Don't you people know I'm the center of the universe and should be able to download by myself at full speed?!

Top Bottom