Patch 1.21 bugs & problems.

I have an extremely annoying problem with 1.21f. When I set the science rate below 40% the game resets it to 40% at the start of the next turn. Fortunately it applies my rate before resetting, but it is very bad having to reset it every turn.

I'm using the Double Your Pleasure mod, but I don't think that's the problem. I will have to reinstall to try the original game.

Is nobody else having this problem?

here is one i haven't seen happen before 1.21

example: 2 move unit next to city not on a road. City is on a hill and there is a grassland w/ road next to it and the unit.

If using the mouse to tell the unit to go to the city, the path shows as moving onto the grassland w/ road and then into the city. MP = 1 1/3

However... the unit just steps into the city using both MP since it is on a hill. It is obviously not following the pathfinding route.

I have several instances of this behavior since 1.21f

What is happening is that when you drag, it is showing the path finding route. However, since you are moving only one space over, the pathfinding code is being over ridden. This is the behavoir that should exist and is not a bug. There may be good reasons why you want to step directly into that square and not take the detour, which is shorter movement point wise. One example is if there is an enemy unit with a ZOC over the alternate route, or maybe the enemy will see your reinforcements if you do that.

So as a result the game does not use the path finding routines when moving the unit only one square over.

Other units, like Zulu impis, will run all over my lands. I have no ROP agreement with them, but they ignore my request to leave. In prior patches, if you told them for 2-3 turns in a row, they would finally leave-- not now though.

Originally posted by benn
Other units, like Zulu impis, will run all over my lands. I have no ROP agreement with them, but they ignore my request to leave. In prior patches, if you told them for 2-3 turns in a row, they would finally leave-- not now though.
Sometimes they move, sometimes they don't - same as me... Zulu likes to fight - maybe they're just trying to coax you into starting a war.

I think I noticed a bug: one of my workers was happily choping down a forest, but I decided to put down a city on the same spot while the worker was still busy chopping and continued chopping on my city, so I right clickt my worker to see what he was doing and my advisor said that he'd finish in 3 turns, so I thougt let him continue and I'll see what happens, but next turn he stopped and no shields added, so my opinion is that the worker should have stopped when I put down a city there, because at that point , he's outa work, and I always got some new work for him.
I know it's just a minor bug but hé thats this thread for right.:goodjob:

I have two problems/bugs.

I was told that if you have an embassy with an AI civ and it begins to construct a Wonder then you should be notified of this. I have never received such notification in any patch version.

I have added a civilization and everything seems to work but I can no longer see my Hall of Fame then I retire from the game or even if just want to look at it before starting a game. This maybe cause by something I done. If so could anyone please let me know how to fix this.

I have two problems/bugs.

I was told that if you have an embassy with an AI civ and it begins to construct a Wonder then you should be notified of this. I have never received such notification in any patch version.

I have added a civilization and everything seems to work but I can no longer see my Hall of Fame then I retire from the game or even if just want to look at it before starting a game. This maybe cause by something I done. If so could anyone please let me know how to fix this.

Originally posted by godlearner

I'm pretty sure all you need is an embassy to get notification of a Wonder starting. I am getting notified in all my games. I always have embassies so I can plant spies and keep up with enemy units and space race progress. Maybe the editor removed the notification? I like the pure game myself and never used the editor.

In addition to having the embassy you also need to have the wonder notification turned on in the preferances menu. And remember all the settings in there were reset when you installed the 1.21 patch, as it regenerated the ini file.

Here are some bugs I've noticed:

1) The "invisible" unit ability doesn't work. The ai's units become invisible to the player, but the players units are all visible to the ai's. I noticed this with subs in an enemy-free ocean and bombers come to bomb them. Therefore, building subs is a complete waste of resources. Should we unflag the invisible option? This feature, if it worked, would be nice for people who want to add spec ops units.

2) The "unlimited range" option doesn't work. Planes given this ability are still restricted to their operational ranges. We need this ability because in reality Stealth bombers flew from the American homeland, bombed afghanistan and returned all in one trip. This option would acknowledge air-fueling.

3) This happened only once but it wrecked a nice game: my SDI defence destroyed an enemy bomber!?! Then the game froze on the hourglass. I reloaded and fortifyed my F-15s. The enemy bombed away gleefully and no SDI laser spoiled the show. However all my terrain enhancements were taken out so I gave up on the game. Does the SDI often misbehave?

4) Workers cannot be taken out by bombardment. This may be intentional but consider this: workers in neighboring england rebuild a road every turn and japanese ships bombard them away every turn. This doubled the turn wait and went on literally forever. The exact same road, same spot - mindless repetition. Had the workers been eliminated in the first bombardment the situation would have been resolved. Workers don't have hit points so how about one bombard -> one worker on the square goes down?

5) The limited operational range of 8 is not right. This is about how far a jet fighter can fly to. There should be no upper limit.

Has firaxes made any comments on these problems?

Originally posted by etj4Eagle
In addition to having the embassy you also need to have the wonder notification turned on in the preferances menu. And remember all the settings in there were reset when you installed the 1.21 patch, as it regenerated the ini file.

I don't think you even need an embassy. In the GOTM, i'm getting notifications all the time, and can't even afford embassies!

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot

2) The "unlimited range" option doesn't work. Planes given this ability are still restricted to their operational ranges. We need this ability because in reality Stealth bombers flew from the American homeland, bombed afghanistan and returned all in one trip. This option would acknowledge air-fueling.

Actually, they did not. After sorties, they flew south to an island in the Indan Ocean or Atlantic Ocean AFAIR. This was either for refueling or R&R before the long flight home.

Your points are valid.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
Here are some bugs I've noticed:

1) The "invisible" unit ability doesn't work. The ai's units become invisible to the player, but the players units are all visible to the ai's. I noticed this with subs in an enemy-free ocean and bombers come to bomb them. Therefore, building subs is a complete waste of resources. Should we unflag the invisible option? This feature, if it worked, would be nice for people who want to add spec ops units.

Are you sure they don't have a spy, and have stolen your military plans? The plans will show all units, even invisible ones, for the whole turn. I have never tried to attack an invisible unit this way, so I don't know if you can see and attack, or can see but can't attack.

I don't know if it's related to the 1.21f patch, but I never experienced this before. I am practising for GOTM7, playing the Iroquois on a random map on Deity level. Managed to get quite far up till now.

Description of the power balance:
- Egyptians are very powerful
- Americans good 2nd
- Greece and Persia follow
- Iroquois (me) are about one Era behind in research, but manage to keep the peace with every other civ through paying tribute and trading. Also, I manage to grow a bit by filling up destroyed city spots.
- Aztecs are close to annihilation.

I am presently at peace with all civs.
Three of my cities are on the Egyptian/Greek continent, where I also have my source of incense. Though none of those three cities have a harbor, I still profit from the incense luxury in the cities on my main continent, presumably through a friendly harbor from the Egyptians or the Greeks. (I did not think that this was possible.)

So far so good. Now, I hit end turn, and a few things happen:
- America declares war on Egypt
- Persia declares war on Egypt
- My turn comes up and I am facing all my cities in riot because of the loss of my incense. I hit F4 and see I am now at war with Egypt. The next turn their 12/18 units come rolling into my cities. Of course, my 4/6 defensive units don't stand a chance.

The point is: I DID NOT GET A DECLARATION OF WAR. Normally, I always get "Egypt declared war on us!" before they start their attack.
To test, I reloaded the game, gave all my money away to Egypt as a token of my goodwill, which made their attitude towards me change to polite, and hit 'end turn' again. Alas, same result.

Is this weird or am I a newbie?

I am on the northern part of the northern hemisphere; the Romans are in the southern part of the southern hemisphere.

I had virtually no dealings with them at all as I as the Persians invaded France with Immortals. Eventually, the French were defeated and I settled down to peace. For no known reason, the Romans - weaker than me in all respects - suddenly declared war on me, even though all of China (big) was between us.

The Romans sent a pitiful "invasion" force through China that bounced off my fortresses. Soon after that the Romans asked for peace. Not too long after that the Chinese wiped them out.

Fast forward several centuries. I finally encountered the Egyptians on a different continent. I tried to make a trade deal. . . and they tell me, "Certainly not! The Romans told of us your perfidy!". :crazyeye:

First of all, the Romans told them NOTHING as the Romans were long extinct.

Secondly, the Romans stupidly attacked ME for no reason. But I get blamed. :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

The Diplomatic AI is an effin joke.

As the Persians, I invaded France with Immortals. I eventually was forced to raze Paris due to that stupid Culture Flipping nonsense. I sent a settler to found Gordium.

The attached image is two turns later.

I am moving in with catapults and Immortals to finish off Lyons.

So what are the French doing? Desperately building their defenses to withstand the assault? NOPE.

They are sending not one but TWO settler/foot soldier combos to what were the open tiles resulting from the razing of Paris. :crazyeye: Braindead. I promptly wiped them out, got four free workers, and then stormed into Lyons.

There is also absolutely no way the French could have come up with TWO settlers (Lyons was the only French town in the region) unless the AI was given a free gift of settlers. Freebie AI settlers when some tiles open up I have long suspected.

Obviously, Civ 3 is hardcoded to go after any open tile anywhere, anytime, despite the military situation.

When the AI is this dumb it is hardly enjoyable to defeat it.

Attachments

• yyyyy.jpg
    yyyyy.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 331
Is this a bug or what?

I had a strange thing happen in my most recent game using the 1.21f patch. Unfortunately, I've since deleted the saved games so I can't post the file or a screen shot.

I was playing the Persians on Warlord level and had taken over the entire continent I started on. I had nearly all the techs, railroads and improvements everywhere. It was about 1950AD and I was at war with all the remaining AI Civs except the Iroquis. I wanted to move one of my mech infantry units to the other side of my continent to load it into a transport. As it moved adjacent to one of my own cities along the way, it attacked the city and was destroyed by the defenders (also mech infantry). "pretty weird", I thought, lets try that again. I tried to moved another mech infantry unit to the same destination and it too attacked the same city and destroyed the defending unit, which had lost some hit points in the previous skirmish.:(

Anyone else have this happen to them?:confused:

Originally posted by Highlander_two
Is this a bug or what?

I had a strange thing happen in my most recent game using the 1.21f patch. Unfortunately, I've since deleted the saved games so I can't post the file or a screen shot.

I was playing the Persians on Warlord level and had taken over the entire continent I started on. I had nearly all the techs, railroads and improvements everywhere. It was about 1950AD and I was at war with all the remaining AI Civs except the Iroquis. I wanted to move one of my mech infantry units to the other side of my continent to load it into a transport. As it moved adjacent to one of my own cities along the way, it attacked the city and was destroyed by the defenders (also mech infantry). "pretty weird", I thought, lets try that again. I tried to moved another mech infantry unit to the same destination and it too attacked the same city and destroyed the defending unit, which had lost some hit points in the previous skirmish.:(

Anyone else have this happen to them?:confused:

There have been various reports of units going rogue on you through out the various patches. However, no one has been able to figure out what is causing the bug. Hopefully Firaxis will be able to figure out the cause of the bug and squash it at somepoint.

Most of the time, the person used nukes before this happened. In other instances, it involved a mod situation where other civ's units were in one of your cities somehow. Those are the only two instances I have heard of causing such a problem.

Top Bottom