Patch 3.19 available

Also, can I use the BUG mod now? Or do I need to wait for the next release?
Words of few syllables: I *have* submitted a set of changes needed to make BUG work on the Mac. The developers have *not* yet released a version that includes those changes.

i tried playing an internet game with my PC friend and we both got a warning that the other player is playing with a different version of Civ for even though on "About this build" we both show 319. Both of us see the other player as having *MOD* before our user names.

I think that is the reason why I can't open the DG save, since SP saves work fine, and my son told me that LAN games work too

edit: Really strange - I could easily open the save of my PBEM :confused:

Question: Do I have to finish or abandon my current 3.17 game before updating? Or will it open under 3.19?

Question: Do I have to finish or abandon my current 3.17 game before updating? Or will it open under 3.19?

The 3.19 update completely wiped my save files.

Huh!?!? Not mine. I only had a couple, as I haven't played much, but they are both still there with their original creation dates.

Where are you looking for them?

Huh!?!? Not mine. I only had a couple, as I haven't played much, but they are both still there with their original creation dates.

Where are you looking for them?

Where I always find my save files. Documents.

More precisely - ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Saves/Single/ ?

More precisely - ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Saves/Single/ ?

Yes, that is correct. I don't seem to be very precise today. ;)

Do you run Time Machine? If so you can confirm whether that folder had anything in it before August 25 (and restore it, if needed).

Once a month, yes. But, it was before I started this last game. I was curious to see if a save would play.

Why only once a month? Time Machine is magic, but is at its best when it runs frequently!

Anyway, I loaded up a straight no-mod save I was playing in 3.17, and it loaded and plays OK in 3.19.

My Time Machine runs every hour - works quite nicely.

My Time Machine runs every hour - works quite nicely.

USB or Firewire?

I used it for the first time this summer when I got my new iMac. I bought a 1TB external HD. The first back-up took a couple hours. I admit, I keep planning to set a schedule up to run over night.

The first backup takes a long time, but the rest are fairly invisible, since they're all incremental. You shouldn't have to schedule anything, just leave it on and let it do its thing.

Firewire. But like dr_s said, only the first backup takes a while. Typically my incrementals are under a minute, and I only notice if it's quiet enough for me to hear the external drive spin up.

Firewire. But like dr_s said, only the first backup takes a while. Typically my incrementals are under a minute, and I only notice if it's quiet enough for me to hear the external drive spin up.

Very well. I have renewed Time Machine backups.

The bad news is it still demands that you mount DVD. Not quite compatible with the Windows 3.19 experience, then :(

Aww, darn! I was hoping this would be removed too. I know it doesn't sound like much but it is a real pain to have to dig out the disc every time I want to play. Though I assume Aspyr did this for piracy reasons, seeing as the game is so newly released.

BUT: I tried to open a PC-save from our DG, and BtS just closed down
MAC to PC PBEM games load and play fine for me..

I can confirm the issue Blondel does have, it is the same for me. Trying to load this DG save results in Civ jumping to kingdom come.

As I am one of the referees of this DG I do have some more possibilities to check this, thus I have done this:

As the DG is running with a handcrafted map it is indeed more a szenario and not a standard game. In other words we created the map as a worldbuilder save, and while starting up the DG we have chosen the "New Szenario" option instead of the "New Game" option to select the DG's worldbuilder save. This happened on a Windows version.
Now, this morning I did this again on my G5. Again I used "New Szenario", again I did load the wordbuilder save and again a regular PBEM Start save was build.
Well, and this time it worked. I was able to play the first turn for all our teams without any issues.

So, as far as I can judge, the issue has to be in this part of Civ where a regular PBEM save is build out of a worldbuilder save. Here must be a difference between the Mac and the Windows version as well in BtS as in warlords where we had experienced a similar behaviour with patch 213.

Somebody around here who can confirm this, or disagree ?

Attachments

• szenario.jpg
    szenario.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 100
hmm.. My automailer isnt working.. any ideas anyone?

If I open a pbem save game from a mail attachment then the game wont load - BtS starts but the pbem game doesnt load. but if I save it to disc and then load it up from within CIV BtS it loads fine no problems.

Also when I have my turn and click on send, it get a failed to send error. Yes my email address and mail server details are correct in Civ..

At the moment I am saving pbem games to disc and loading them from within Civ and then also attaching them manually to send from within my mail client.. no biggie but I would prefer if it did work correctly - do if anyone has any ideas - I would appreciate their help..

When you double click a file in the Finder (or a Mail attachment or whatever), the Operating System receives an Open FIle Apple Event message. It attempts to work out which application "owns" files with that extension, launches the application, and forwards the Open File event message to it.

Unfortunately, the Civ4 game executables have not been written to respond to Apple Events such as Open File, so although the OS can recognise that a .Civ4BeyondSwordSave should be opened using BtS, and it can launch BtS, the Apple Event falls on deaf ears.

I have not played PBEM games, but it is my guess that BtS doesn't know how to send the correct Apple Events to Mail, either. This would be needed to persuade Mail to create and send an email when you select that option.

So I think you are probably stuck with doing it manually as you are currently. Note that there are some shortcuts that may help:

You can put a shortcut to your ~/Documents/BtS/Saves/pbem/ folder in the Finder's left hand panel, or in the Dock at the right hand end. Drag and drop incoming Mail attachments onto that folder to put them where they need to be to open with the Load a Game menu option. When you have saved after your turn, just click that folder shortcut to show the list of saves, and then drag the new save onto your Mail icon in the Dock. That will open a new Mail message with the file already attached.

Top Bottom